Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for George Krashos
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 42

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2019 :  10:30:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

EDIT:
Out of curiosity (he says innocently), in regards to the Endless Battle, which of House of Man ruler would you say best fits the epithet of "the Marching King (The Trod of Steel and Terrible Swift Sentence)"?

I'd probably vote for Haryd III, as he ruled for 42 years, his life and reign consumed by the Endless Battle.

Hehe, Haryd III might soon be Haryd II.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2019 :  10:49:26  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

EDIT:
Out of curiosity (he says innocently), in regards to the Endless Battle, which of House of Man ruler would you say best fits the epithet of "the Marching King (The Trod of Steel and Terrible Swift Sentence)"?

I'd probably vote for Haryd III, as he ruled for 42 years, his life and reign consumed by the Endless Battle.

Hehe, Haryd III might soon be Haryd II.

-- George Krashos

Ha! I'd already fixed it before you posted this. Now my old comment still lives. ;-)

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2019 :  11:32:12  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I recall, Eric changed the original line up (from p.2) in my thread to account for his write-up of the Barony of Starshadow in "Power of Faerūn" (p.97-99). So the table is correct but the reference to Javilarhh II founding the Kingdom of Man is not. It should be and is Haryd I.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2019 :  22:03:34  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'll chat to Eric about changing "Under Illefarn Anew"

Ahh, Phalorm/Fallen Kingdom....all these years and tears and revised (re-re-revised) versions later and still capable of making poor Krash get out the rubber end of the ol' No. 2.
quote:
I'd probably vote for Haryd II, as his life and reign are consumed by the Endless Battle

I appreciate that. It's just a one-off note in another NPC's write-up, but I figured while I had your ear I'd try to name it "right." Goodbye, mighty Ambelath, ye shall march no more.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2019 :  02:45:50  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hiya George!

I've adapted 2 Pathfinder Adventure paths to occur in the region just north of the Giantspire Mountains. To me, in looking through various sourcebooks, this region is really between the reaches of the Damara and Narfell. I know the mountains have a huge number of hobgoblins, with one leader in particularly having control of a dracolich. The way I would read it, as there are great resources for mining there, is that this would be a 'edge of the last frontier' kind of region, where panhandlers or companies of miners try to find their riches in the area.

I come to ask if there were, or rather, are ghost towns of settlers who tried to make this region their own, whether from Narfell's far past, or even Impiltur expansionism? Or is the thread of hobgoblins, orcs, and invading giants simply too much for this region that is too far away from any true country city center?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2019 :  10:22:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

Hiya George!

I've adapted 2 Pathfinder Adventure paths to occur in the region just north of the Giantspire Mountains. To me, in looking through various sourcebooks, this region is really between the reaches of the Damara and Narfell. I know the mountains have a huge number of hobgoblins, with one leader in particularly having control of a dracolich. The way I would read it, as there are great resources for mining there, is that this would be a 'edge of the last frontier' kind of region, where panhandlers or companies of miners try to find their riches in the area.

I come to ask if there were, or rather, are ghost towns of settlers who tried to make this region their own, whether from Narfell's far past, or even Impiltur expansionism? Or is the thread of hobgoblins, orcs, and invading giants simply too much for this region that is too far away from any true country city center?

Hi Renin

Yes, the Giantspires do have a decent amount of mineral resources available for hardworking. Iron ore, some rare veins of mithral, gold and minor gemstones (amethyst and citrines in the main) can all be mined but the denizens of the mountains make any endeavor greater than a handful of prospectors a risky proposition.

Of old several gnome clans mined the lower southwestern slopes of the Giantspires where they abutted the Rawlinswood, smelting iron in underground tunnels deep under the forest until they were forced out by humanoid incursions.

And you are right that no attempts to mine the Giantspires in any large scale have succeeded over the centuries prior to the Spellplague. After the Spellplague and with the establishment of Highwatch, human prospectors had a haven to fall back on when attacked and the area around the citadel was home to more than a few middling mining concerns.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2019 :  01:37:41  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George, i just read your Ilmara's Scrying stones and your Thay one work and as usual it's amazing ...I have some questions:

- I was thinking of linking each of the Spellglobes to one of the schools of magic, like if casting a spell of the proper school the level cap is raised, the intelligence CD is little lower...what do you think? It could work or you had some different plans?

- Also...I was wondering about the other two items like the "Fiendhorn of Sorrows" and the "Archbellum of Valanthar" is there any source related to those items? Or is there anything you can say about them? I can't even find what an Archbellum is soo..I am pretty lost.

For the Thay one you gave me the idea to do an adventure to find the tombs of the first Zulkirs. Was thinking of Hahlomede Teeos (Abjuration) going first. Can you tell me more about him or all the other first zulkirs in general? I'm playing mostly 3.5 edition so no spellplague and such.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2019 :  10:05:37  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Qilintha

Hi George, i just read your Ilmara's Scrying stones and your Thay one work and as usual it's amazing ...

Thanks, glad you enjoyed them.

quote:

I have some questions:

- I was thinking of linking each of the Spellglobes to one of the schools of magic, like if casting a spell of the proper school the level cap is raised, the intelligence CD is little lower...what do you think? It could work or you had some different plans?

Eric Boyd has already had a play with my Spellglobe of Hlithal and come up with another, here:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22724&whichpage=4

quote:

- Also...I was wondering about the other two items like the "Fiendhorn of Sorrows" and the "Archbellum of Valanthar" is there any source related to those items? Or is there anything you can say about them? I can't even find what an Archbellum is soo..I am pretty lost.

No, I ... ahem ... made them up. There are a few FR writers and some dabblers (aka me) who like to drop names and items into work we do for other people to play with and flesh out. The intention is that they are undetailed until someone decides to do something meaningful with them. So here's your chance!

A belluth is a type of elven magical wand (see the "Cormanthyr" sourcebook, p.150).

quote:

For the Thay one you gave me the idea to do an adventure to find the tombs of the first Zulkirs. Was thinking of Hahlomede Teeos (Abjuration) going first. Can you tell me more about him or all the other first zulkirs in general? I'm playing mostly 3.5 edition so no spellplague and such.

The info on the early zulkirs in that article comes directly from Ed and is the only information on these individuals. So in simple terms you have free rein to do what you like with this idea, confident that your efforts are very unlikely to be contradicted. I could make some stuff up, but I'm sure you'd do just as good a job. Enjoy!

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Qilintha
Seeker

76 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2019 :  11:40:35  Show Profile Send Qilintha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The info on the early zulkirs in that article comes directly from Ed and is the only information on these individuals. So in simple terms you have free rein to do what you like with this idea, confident that your efforts are very unlikely to be contradicted. I could make some stuff up, but I'm sure you'd do just as good a job. Enjoy!

I am flattered by your words but I doubt my skills can even compare to yours XD. I'll try to keep up to your expectations :)
Go to Top of Page

mikemax
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2019 :  13:58:48  Show Profile Send mikemax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George.
I'm looking to start my next campaign and I've decided to focus on Eltab as the Big Bad for this one since my players liked Impiltur so much in the last one against Sonellion. I've been doing some research (ie reading all of your posts here) and have a few questions.

1. Eltab is looking for a way to free himself from his current prison and also to bring his layer of the abyss to the prime. I was thinking that he might try to use the Shiftglass of Orthass to do this. I know that he attempted to use it at one point to get free from Thaymount with limited success. What if he tried to use it in conjunction with something like a mithal to link all of the existing demoncysts together? Do you have any details on the Shiftglass like powers and current whereabouts?

2. What can you tell me about the Cult of Eltab? Anything about it's organization and methods would be helpful.

Thanks so much.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2019 :  18:04:00  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ndulu is cooler than Eltab. Just sayin’.

--
Go to Top of Page

mikemax
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2020 :  15:38:51  Show Profile Send mikemax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ndulu is cooler than Eltab. Just sayin’.

No doubt he is but I figured he might have enough on his plate already. What with the whole "Be careful what you wish for" curse that has befallen him he's probably too busy dealing with the plots of the other Princes (Orcus, Frazz, etc), the plots of his underlings who so want to be him and that nagging feeling that it could all be taken away from him if Eltab ever showed back up in the abyss again, to be stirring the pot in Impiltur for the foreseeable future.

But by all means if you have some ideas or insight into any nefarious doings of the great and terrible Ndulu as they relate to Impiltur that might cause me to choose him instead of Eltab feel free to dole them out as I do enjoy your work as well Eric.
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2020 :  21:28:58  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi George,
I've red (can't remember where) that originally, Ed used Impiltur as the land to welcome the Fiend Folio monsters from 1st edition AD&D. Can you confirm that and if so, have you some details about it ?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2020 :  16:14:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

Hi George,
I've red (can't remember where) that originally, Ed used Impiltur as the land to welcome the Fiend Folio monsters from 1st edition AD&D. Can you confirm that and if so, have you some details about it ?

I've never heard that. I know that Ed wasn't much of a fan of the Fiend Folio: there's an opinion piece in Dragon magazine (rebutted by the Brits in the next issue!) where he said as much. Very un-Ed to air his grievances in public! So news to me. GIven that I don't think Impiltur ever played a role in Ed's home campaign, I think it's unlikely.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2020 :  18:56:45  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey George,

Speaking of Dun-Tharos, have you ever seen a list of any sort of what fiends are locked away in Dun-Tharos? I know that Lady of Poison introduced some names, but to tell you the truth every single one of them escapes me (and I wonder if one of them ends up being the female fiend in Impiltur in Champions of Ruin).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2020 :  20:12:14  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks George. I think it was in the Northern Journey Campaign that I've red it. I red Ed's article about the Fiend Folio and it's a very interesting article. I don't know if it is very popular amid gamers.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2020 :  03:14:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Hey George,

Speaking of Dun-Tharos, have you ever seen a list of any sort of what fiends are locked away in Dun-Tharos? I know that Lady of Poison introduced some names, but to tell you the truth every single one of them escapes me (and I wonder if one of them ends up being the female fiend in Impiltur in Champions of Ruin).

Lady of Poison is a good read, but a little problematic in that the fiends showcased appear to be from the Nine Hells rather than the Abyss. It's trope repeated in some other Realms fiction also, notably Frostfell. I have a few thoughts re how to integrate these sources but it's ancient history so no rush!:)

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
890 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2020 :  03:25:08  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey George,

Do you mean Soneillon the Queen of Whispers?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2020 :  21:05:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

Hey George,

Do you mean Soneillon the Queen of Whispers?

Yeah, that was her name from CoR. I don't THINK she was in Lady of Poison, but honestly all of their names escape me. But, as George points out too, a lot of the references in Lady of Poison did appear to be more devil than demon. That being said, given that a lot of what's imprisoned in Dun-Tharos may have come from the dark elves when it was Narathmault OR whatever it was before that (because it was already a place of great evil), I wouldn't be surprised to find any number of fiend types there.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2020 :  16:36:22  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A question for George, Eric, Steven, or whomever else may know:

I know you have slept since then but can you remember when you were putting together the Grand History of the Realms, how was the work divided up? Did different writers specialize in different time periods or different areas or both or neither? Just curious.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2020 :  17:13:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

I know you have slept since then but can you remember when you were putting together the Grand History of the Realms, how was the work divided up? Did different writers specialize in different time periods or different areas or both or neither? Just curious.

I know exactly how GHotR was put together, because I still have the original work files. Obviously the baseline was Brian's internet timeline. The other "authors", including myself, had been brought in to write the various vignettes that are scattered through the book. At that time, I had my own FR Timeline which I provided to the group and elements of which were incorporated into the whole. After that Eric Boyd and I submitted a number of edits re dates and events, as did Tom Costa. I also had a range of lineages which I sent through as "something different" and quickly wrote up some new ones on the fly (Narfell, Raumathar and Velprin) when asked for more. Finally, the editor Kim Mohan asked for a few more dates on various topics (e.g. he wanted a few more Sossal dates/events which I duly supplied) to pad out some bare areas.

You have to understand that this external involvement to the core project was requested and provided in a very short period. I see the timeline (from my files) as being mid-Feb 07 to 1 May 07. In other words, about 10 weeks. Not much time at all when you have several contributors.

I can also confirm that a lot of work went into the GHotR after our requested input had been provided. The day/month dating for 1372-1375 DR was done in house as were all the years after that and things like the "Black Chonology" sidebar. I didn't find out about the Spellplague until Gen Con 2007 (the first that I attended), and don't recall it being named that at the time when Rich Baker let a few of us in on the planned 100 year jump. All the Spellplague info and dates in GHotR were a surprise to me when I bought my own copy here in Australia in late 2007. I have no idea if Brian James knew about that stuff either - I suspect not.

There was no time (and maybe budget) to commission new art so we were required to trawl through older WotC products and re-use images we found suitable. Some of those requests were flubbed in translation, which is why the art for Ed's 1352 DR vignette and Eric's -349 DR vignette don't make much sense.

They did do the original maps, but we didn't get to see them in our input time - although Brian James likely got to look at them and consult.

So there it is, the heralded GHotR. A brilliant and yet flawed product. I often think how much greater it would have been if we had been given a heads up that it was in production and more time to iron out the kinks, add the dates that didn't go in (there are lots) and fix some of the snafus. Fun times, although I can't believe that was 13 years ago.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 29 Dec 2020 17:14:38
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2020 :  17:58:58  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I know exactly how GHotR was put together, because I still have the original work files. Obviously the baseline was Brian's internet timeline. The other "authors", including myself, had been brought in to write the various vignettes that are scattered through the book. At that time, I had my own FR Timeline which I provided to the group and elements of which were incorporated into the whole. After that Eric Boyd and I submitted a number of edits re dates and events, as did Tom Costa. I also had a range of lineages which I sent through as "something different" and quickly wrote up some new ones on the fly (Narfell, Raumathar and Velprin) when asked for more. Finally, the editor Kim Mohan asked for a few more dates on various topics (e.g. he wanted a few more Sossal dates/events which I duly supplied) to pad out some bare areas.

You have to understand that this external involvement to the core project was requested and provided in a very short period. I see the timeline (from my files) as being mid-Feb 07 to 1 May 07. In other words, about 10 weeks. Not much time at all when you have several contributors.

I can also confirm that a lot of work went into the GHotR after our requested input had been provided. The day/month dating for 1372-1375 DR was done in house as were all the years after that and things like the "Black Chonology" sidebar. I didn't find out about the Spellplague until Gen Con 2007 (the first that I attended), and don't recall it being named that at the time when Rich Baker let a few of us in on the planned 100 year jump. All the Spellplague info and dates in GHotR were a surprise to me when I bought my own copy here in Australia in late 2007. I have no idea if Brian James knew about that stuff either - I suspect not.

There was no time (and maybe budget) to commission new art so we were required to trawl through older WotC products and re-use images we found suitable. Some of those requests were flubbed in translation, which is why the art for Ed's 1352 DR vignette and Eric's -349 DR vignette don't make much sense.

They did do the original maps, but we didn't get to see them in our input time - although Brian James likely got to look at them and consult.

So there it is, the heralded GHotR. A brilliant and yet flawed product. I often think how much greater it would have been if we had been given a heads up that it was in production and more time to iron out the kinks, add the dates that didn't go in (there are lots) and fix some of the snafus. Fun times, although I can't believe that was 13 years ago.

-- George Krashos

Thank you. I am one of those people that likes getting a glimpse "behind the curtain" to see how stuff is/was made. Knowing this makes me appreciate the GHotR even more. Warts and all.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2020 :  20:19:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

All the Spellplague info and dates in GHotR were a surprise to me when I bought my own copy here in Australia in late 2007. I have no idea if Brian James knew about that stuff either - I suspect not.

I seem to recall Brian saying that stuff was a surprise to him, too.

I like to take a little credit for the Grand History, myself -- I was one of the first people to find it and start sharing the link on the WotC forums, and it was on those forums that it was "discovered." Sure, I can't prove my influence, there, and even if I could, it wouldn't count for anything -- but I'll still take that tiny bit of credit.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Dec 2020 20:19:53
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2021 :  17:53:54  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another "behind the scenes" question if you don't mind:

When y'all were writing the supplements, adventures, etc., did you have access to something like an index of all of the Ed's unpublished Realms materials or did you have to dig through thousands of pages to try and locate all the information Ed or previous writers had already created for a specific area, organization, item, or person?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2021 :  13:32:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

When y'all were writing the supplements, adventures, etc., did you have access to something like an index of all of the Ed's unpublished Realms materials or did you have to dig through thousands of pages to try and locate all the information Ed or previous writers had already created for a specific area, organization, item, or person?

I've long had a chuckle at the idea that some fans hold that TSR/WotC always had some Realms "bible" for designers to consult. There were style guides and general guidelines about FR "dos and don'ts" but nothing like that has ever existed - and still doesn't despite some implied statements to the contrary.

So it always came down to this: who is writing the product? FR products have seen many hits and misses over the years. Some works by X were heavily over-written by Y, especially in 2E and the swinging gulf in quality typified by 1E was an example of just how green most FR authors were in terms of understanding the setting and their ability to create out of whole cloth in a way that seemed "Realmsian". Some few writers were prepared to ask for help and grateful when it was given, a lot were not. Personally, I think you can pick the former from the latter in terms of quality.

So, to your question - and noting that I can only speak from my personal experience. I worked on two types of FR products: the ones by Steven Schend where he actively canvassed the fan base for information/lore/references to include in his work - which produced the gorgeous LOI and EotSS boxed sets, and to a lesser extent SoFS. The other type were the works of Eric Boyd where he and I worked pretty closely to gather the information. I'm a compulsive Realms List maker and lore collector so when, for example, Eric started work on Dragons of Faerūn he asked me for all the dragon lore I could find. My list of dragons - suitably enhanced - formed the backbone of the web enhancement. I did the same thing for DDGttU, CoS:W, SK, POF, et. al. and we did a bunch of work behind the scenes for LEoF and RoF. 3E was where I made my biggest contribution to the published Realms.

So basically, I would trawl through the products and provide a bunch of references for Eric to add to the stuff he already had or was looking to incorporate and then I'd field the incessant questions that still pop up daily from him: I need a wizard active in the North in the 600s DR; are there any artifacts/powerful magic relating to the Tashalar?; what lore do we have on standing militaries in the Realms?, etc. etc.

So we are clear, I was the research guy with the occasional good idea - Eric was the genius writing guy, weaving it all together. Ed always did his own thing and being the creator of the whole shebang never needed to ask us mere mortals for assistance. As it should be.

So yes, I had to dig through thousands of pages. Still do. Daily. It's fun.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2021 :  14:32:09  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I've long had a chuckle at the idea that some fans hold that TSR/WotC always had some Realms "bible" for designers to consult. There were style guides and general guidelines about FR "dos and don'ts" but nothing like that has ever existed - and still doesn't despite some implied statements to the contrary.

So it always came down to this: who is writing the product? FR products have seen many hits and misses over the years. Some works by X were heavily over-written by Y, especially in 2E and the swinging gulf in quality typified by 1E was an example of just how green most FR authors were in terms of understanding the setting and their ability to create out of whole cloth in a way that seemed "Realmsian". Some few writers were prepared to ask for help and grateful when it was given, a lot were not. Personally, I think you can pick the former from the latter in terms of quality.

So, to your question - and noting that I can only speak from my personal experience. I worked on two types of FR products: the ones by Steven Schend where he actively canvassed the fan base for information/lore/references to include in his work - which produced the gorgeous LOI and EotSS boxed sets, and to a lesser extent SoFS. The other type were the works of Eric Boyd where he and I worked pretty closely to gather the information. I'm a compulsive Realms List maker and lore collector so when, for example, Eric started work on Dragons of Faerūn he asked me for all the dragon lore I could find. My list of dragons - suitably enhanced - formed the backbone of the web enhancement. I did the same thing for DDGttU, CoS:W, SK, POF, et. al. and we did a bunch of work behind the scenes for LEoF and RoF. 3E was where I made my biggest contribution to the published Realms.

So basically, I would trawl through the products and provide a bunch of references for Eric to add to the stuff he already had or was looking to incorporate and then I'd field the incessant questions that still pop up daily from him: I need a wizard active in the North in the 600s DR; are there any artifacts/powerful magic relating to the Tashalar?; what lore do we have on standing militaries in the Realms?, etc. etc.

So we are clear, I was the research guy with the occasional good idea - Eric was the genius writing guy, weaving it all together. Ed always did his own thing and being the creator of the whole shebang never needed to ask us mere mortals for assistance. As it should be.

So yes, I had to dig through thousands of pages. Still do. Daily. It's fun.

-- George Krashos

Thank you. That has certainly given me a better perspective on how the Realms has grown into something loved by so many people. And, I completely understand about the digging. I find it fun, too.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2021 :  17:02:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think your greatest contributions are now in unpublished works.

Races of Faerun is one of my favourites. Which bits were yours (I'm guessing migration patterns)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2021 :  02:05:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric and I re-did most of the human chapters - the racial histories of the Damarans and Illuskans stem from my historical work over the years.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2021 :  16:04:40  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric and I re-did most of the human chapters - the racial histories of the Damarans and Illuskans stem from my historical work over the years.

-- George Krashos

I do regret the use of the word "Damaran." "Impilturan" would have been more accurate, although perhaps there could have been a good word for the region that didn't focus on a particular kingdom.

--
Go to Top of Page

Grievous
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2021 :  17:00:47  Show Profile Send Grievous a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've come up with both a line of monarchs for Damara and a story for the origin of the name. Ed liked it. It also explains that godawful "FR" instead of "DR" dating system in FR9 Bloodstone Lands.

-- George Krashos

Hey George and all,

Just doing some research into Damara for a rejiggered old school Bloodstone campaign and was wondering if this list of monarchs for the kingdom ever managed to surface in some manner or is still locked up in a chest somewhere?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 42 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000