Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elven Language, Espruar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  20:52:12  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there anywhere with detailed information on the elven language? or is it just various words we have in the dictionary here, and the odd word that slipped by from novels, etc.

Drow words and Elven words are different yes? or is that just in some instances, like how drow don't have a word for friend(the closest equivalent is the word for ally)?

Is the drow language divergent enough to count as a separate language or is it just a dialect of elven?

Is there anywhere that details elven grammatical rules?

I know there are all these types of things for Tolkien's elvish (which has enough words that it can be used to talk about nonspecialized topics), but is there any amount of detail into Elven, particularly FR sources?

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  02:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a matter of fragmentary Elven words, phrases and sentences published here and there. Steven Schend compiled a lexicon to help write Cormanthyr and Fall of Myth Drannor, which was made available online; there have also been a few fan compilations, such as Dagniron's here. Ed Greenwood's somewhat developed elven language lore saw print piecemeal among other authors' ad hoc or considered inventions; for this and other reasons it's best to regard the published Elven corpus as including multiple dialects.

2E sources such as FOR2 The Drow of the Underdark, which includes a Drow vocabulary list, have Drow ('Deep Drow') and Elven as distinct languages, though 3E books have drow speaking Elven (and Undercommon) rather than their own tongue. However, much published Drow vocabulary attests that it's its own language.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  23:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot Ed's clarification on the separateness of the drow language, from 2005. Go here and search for "I believe that the language".
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  11:54:26  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a list of canon elven words on Candlekeep.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2010 :  17:08:13  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is also a very extensive drow dictionary and translator on Chosen of eilistraee. ( www.eilistraee.com ) There used to be one from www.graycompany.com for elven, but the site is no longer up, it seems, and is hard to find the elven translator. I managed to find it successfully ONCE recently, I'll see if I can get that link for you.... Fortunately, i downloaded it long ago for my own use as a word doc.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  06:17:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  16:26:10  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

or is that just in some instances, like how drow don't have a word for friend(the closest equivalent is the word for ally)?

Yes, Salvatore's attempts at being So Deep and Philosophical are fairly amusing. For a while, anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

Is the drow language divergent enough to count as a separate language or is it just a dialect of elven?

Basically, there are at very least two named ones.
- Deep Drow: modern, everyday language, somewhat bastardized with Underdark languages (and presumably tongues of Lower Planes)
- High Drow: old, now dead/sacral language.
They don't have enough in common for the drow who don't know it to understand either speech, writings or even some signs on High Drow. However, Deep Drow have significant overlap with Undercommon (the borrowing probably happened both ways)

High Drow may still have something in common with the old Elven. Which indeed also cannot be quite the same as modern Elven despite their horrid stagnation.

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Ed's clarification on the separateness of the drow language, from 2005. Go here

Here's the original reply.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 07 May 2015 18:51:22
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  21:31:51  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, TBeholder!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000