Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Wild Elven tribes/houses/family names
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bugoron_Bearfang
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  21:17:44  Show Profile  Visit Bugoron_Bearfang's Homepage Send Bugoron_Bearfang a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I apologize if this is elsewhere posted, but I couldn't find it. Is there some way or place of finding out which Elven family names belong to the Wild Elves and their families and tribes? If so, I'd be very grateful for a push in that direction! :)

Edited by - Bugoron_Bearfang on 13 Jun 2008 21:20:21

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  00:50:53  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-A list of Elven given names (split along gender) and surnames can be found in Elves of Faerūn. All are canon.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 15 Jun 2008 00:51:17
Go to Top of Page

Bugoron_Bearfang
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  08:11:15  Show Profile  Visit Bugoron_Bearfang's Homepage Send Bugoron_Bearfang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I've been there. What I need that this list doesn't give is a seperation of what Elven surnames belong to which subrace. This has been the case with all lists I've found, where all surnames are just bunched together and not categorized by the type of Elf they belong to.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  10:44:08  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you checked Races of Faerun? There is a seperate entry for each elven sub-race, IIRC. Don't have my books handy so I cannot check for you.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

IronAngel
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  12:14:26  Show Profile  Visit IronAngel's Homepage Send IronAngel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess ancient Crown Wars history might have something? Unfortunately, the clans of the wild elf nations weren't specified in the sources I know of, but perhaps there's been elaboration on that somewhere?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  14:16:41  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bugoron_Bearfang

Oh, I've been there. What I need that this list doesn't give is a seperation of what Elven surnames belong to which subrace. This has been the case with all lists I've found, where all surnames are just bunched together and not categorized by the type of Elf they belong to.

-Because there is no clear separation. There are Sun Elf Moonflowers, and Moon Elf Starym, and so on.

-My advice is to choose the ones that sound the most "woodsy" to you, and there you go. You can also choose an existing surname with the caveat that, at some point, members of the family integrated into the Elven communities you are shooting for.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 15 Jun 2008 14:17:01
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  14:17:33  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Have you checked Races of Faerun? There is a seperate entry for each elven sub-race, IIRC. Don't have my books handy so I cannot check for you.

-No, that book won't be of any use in this case.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2008 :  21:21:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another option is to simply create your own names.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  04:52:18  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Another option is to simply create your own names.

-Mmm hmm...If name generation is what you are looking for, there is previous precedent to build upon, and to go for effect, there is plenty canon Elven in the Elven Language section of Elves of Faerūnto make something authentic sounding.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  16:38:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I look at it this way: WotC adds new stuff to "canon" all the time. No reason for players/DMs to refrain from doing that.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Bugoron_Bearfang
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  02:02:08  Show Profile  Visit Bugoron_Bearfang's Homepage Send Bugoron_Bearfang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

-Because there is no clear separation. There are Sun Elf Moonflowers, and Moon Elf Starym, and so on.

-My advice is to choose the ones that sound the most "woodsy" to you, and there you go. You can also choose an existing surname with the caveat that, at some point, members of the family integrated into the Elven communities you are shooting for.

Ahh, thank you! THAT clarifies it for me, I wasn't aware that such was the case. That helps me greatly, I appreciate the insight! And thank you to everyone else who gave their input! :)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  13:22:33  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bugoron_BearfangAhh, thank you! THAT clarifies it for me, I wasn't aware that such was the case. That helps me greatly, I appreciate the insight! And thank you to everyone else who gave their input! :)

-No problem.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2008 :  22:12:07  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Yuir Cha'Tel'Quessir appear to substitute surname with tree-family (e.g. Shali of MightyTree, Rizcarn of GoldenMoss; source: The Simbul's Gift by Lynn Abbey).

These are half-wild elves and not full elves, and these are descendants of Yuir wild elves, which seem atypical wild elves, but it does add some flavor if anybody's looking for wild elf naming conventions.
Go to Top of Page

chance87
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  15:11:36  Show Profile Send chance87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember that with elven breeding, all descendants are an "either...or". So a Moon elf mating with a Wild elf and having 6 offspring would likely bear 3 Moon elven children and 3 Wild elven children (statistically speaking, of course), all with the same surname.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  01:46:59  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves lists a few green-elf families that held seats on the council of nobles (when they cared to show up). These were Audark, Oakstaff and Moonglamer.

Oakstaff at least is still present in Cormanthor. The Oakstaff of Tangled Trees is a senior druid of Rillifane, carrying substantial authority in that community.

Clan Audark, like Oakstaff, were native to the Tangled Vale. They are reknowned for their pyrrhic victory over the mate of the green drake, 'Venom', and became the first spirit guardians of the Vale of Lost Voices. Audark was also the clan name of the last Coronal of Illefarn.

Not much seems to be established regarding Clan Moonglamer. Perhaps that's one to Ask Ed.

Silver Shadows and Lands of Intrigue name the two green elf tribes still extant in the Forest of Tethir or Wealdath: Elmanesse (refugees from Cormanthor following the Fall of Myth Drannor) and Suldusk (native descendents of the green elves of old Keltormir).

There may be a few I am forgetting, but in general, Sy'Tel'Quessir have received less detailed treatment than other quessir races. If I recall or encounter any others I will post them here.

"Who cannot draw upon three thousand years is living from hand to mouth." - Goethe

Edited by - Vangelor on 01 Sep 2008 22:05:13
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2008 :  22:04:08  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have I hit a goldmine for you!

I went back through my copy of Lands of Intrigue to research the story of Tethir Dragonslayer, and happened upon a listing of green elf clans following the sundering of the great green elf realm of Keltormir into fragmentary forest states. Those listed are:

Sylvanight, Shyr, and Tamlyranth

Suldusk, Tethir, and the Stilmyst

Berilan, Fellmirr, and Shiningbright

Of these, as mentioned above, only the Suldusk remain of the original clans circa 1370 DR. It is possible that descendants of any of the others migrated to Illefarn or Earlann, or even to Evermeet, and that the clan names are still carried by living elves in Faerun, either in Ardeep Wood, the High Forest, or elsewhere.

Hope these help. Thirteen clan names should at least be something to work with.

Edited by - Vangelor on 01 Sep 2008 22:08:01
Go to Top of Page

Copper Elven Vampire
Master of Realmslore

1078 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  23:43:11  Show Profile Send Copper Elven Vampire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

Brilliant. Been doing that for over 25 years now. A moon elf father and a Copper elf mother can have children of both sub-races indeed.

In Return of the Archwizards trilogy.... Galaeron a moon elf has a Moon elf father and a Copper elf mother. I forget if his little sister was a moon or copper elf.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  12:01:50  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

I doubt it. There are mixed clans, and even more of clans in Cormanthor are designated as one subrace, yet have another on "prominent members" list.
But all those are noble houses in mostly non- Green Elven realms; mostly-Green places have a basic tribal organization.
Which are lately down to just Evereska (mostly-Silver, and Green elves can go High Forest where they can live with the other settled Greens and dance with fairies if they feel laidback, or join "New Eaerlann" project if they feel somewhat ambitious) and Evermeet (later also it's Myth Drannor 2.0 colony).
Otherwise the Green elves tend to separate from the rest, more so than Silver vs. Gold. Thus Green+Gold|Silver mixed clans are not quite exotic, but not common either.
If descendants of such a clan marry to others of their subrace, the likely options are to either retain name (it's already a mixed clan, so nothing changed), go and take the name from the other line, or pick a new name closer to that tradition.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  12:29:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always struggled with the difference between clan and house among elves and dwarves

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

BrennonGoldeye
Learned Scribe

105 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  14:38:33  Show Profile Send BrennonGoldeye a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

I doubt it. There are mixed clans, and even more of clans in Cormanthor are designated as one subrace, yet have another on "prominent members" list.
But all those are noble houses in mostly non- Green Elven realms; mostly-Green places have a basic tribal organization.
Which are lately down to just Evereska (mostly-Silver, and Green elves can go High Forest where they can live with the other settled Greens and dance with fairies if they feel laidback, or join "New Eaerlann" project if they feel somewhat ambitious) and Evermeet (later also it's Myth Drannor 2.0 colony).
Otherwise the Green elves tend to separate from the rest, more so than Silver vs. Gold. Thus Green+Gold|Silver mixed clans are not quite exotic, but not common either.
If descendants of such a clan marry to others of their subrace, the likely options are to either retain name (it's already a mixed clan, so nothing changed), go and take the name from the other line, or pick a new name closer to that tradition.

Honestly, your doubting the guy who compiled the Complete Elven History long before GHotR? I can summon him if ya wish.. Just have to say his name 3 times... Steven... Steven...

Sam

Edited by - BrennonGoldeye on 17 Sep 2019 14:39:31
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  21:22:43  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I've always struggled with the difference between clan and house among elves and dwarves

Here's my understanding:

Dwarves have clans and royal houses. Houses are really clans within clans.

For elves:

Gold elves, moon elves, and drow have noble houses (major and minor).

Wood elves and wild elves have clans.

There are strict rules for how each house works in terms of succession, membership, etc. but those rules aren't necessarily consistent across elven houses.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 18 Sep 2019 00:41:34
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  22:26:33  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A clan is just a "more extended" form of extended family, with organization level anywhere from having vague notion of cohesion to formal hierarchy.
But since the important part of being a "noble house" is "noble", it looks like this means a clan which got place/status/privileges in the larger and at least somewhat formal structure of power?

In case of Cormanthyr, that's pretty much it: in the sourcebook "Noble Families and the Nobles' Council" doesn't suggest any criteria other than noble families being the ones invited to the Nobles' Council; other parts mention they have the right of way and certain positions (such as judge) are nobles-only.
There are Green noble families listed in Cormanthyr (Audark, Moonglamaer, Oakstaff) - but then, Cormanthyr is not primarily Green elf territory.
So, it looks like the Green elves on their own don't seem to have much of organization or formality to go around, just a loose tribal structure, but when in the same realm as more civilized elves, it makes sense to maintain at least superficial compatibility, so they play this game, if somewhat reluctantly (mostly keep to themselves and don't bother to drop in unless summoned).

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2019 :  21:56:08  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves lists a few green-elf families that held seats on the council of nobles (when they cared to show up). These were Audark, Oakstaff and Moonglamer.

Not much seems to be established regarding Clan Moonglamer. Perhaps that's one to Ask Ed.

The Moonglamaer are mentioned in Eric’s write-up
for the Unicorn Blade.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  07:19:07  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

So do the Wood and Wild Elves just have less hierarchy as a means to show they are more "chaotic" than the others?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Here's my understanding:

For elves:

There are strict rules for how each house works in terms of succession, membership, etc. but those rules aren't necessarily consistent across elven houses.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  15:32:26  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also loosely tying them into the history fo King Strohm IV.

"King Strohm IV never married, but had long been engaged to his wood elven consort, Lady Speaker Aimaeriitha Moonglamaer of the Elmanesse tribe."

Is what I have written in Renewal of the Covenant (the other project I'm working on).

quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

The Moonglamaer are mentioned in Eric’s write-up
for the Unicorn Blade.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  15:36:26  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not about "chaotic." It more whether they are more tribal (i.e. wood elve and wild elves) or more civilized (i.e. moon and gold elves).

Note that the earliest instances of references in Cormanthyr to the Vyshaan ruling family were to Clan Vyshaan, not House Vyshaan.

I'm interpreting that to mean that the formal house structure emerged among the elves in the -15,000 to -10,000 DR timeframe.

--Eric

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Eric,

So do the Wood and Wild Elves just have less hierarchy as a means to show they are more "chaotic" than the others?

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Here's my understanding:

For elves:

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  16:57:46  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to be clear then, what's the difference between succession and hierarchies between a tribal clan and a formal house.

I think in my mind a tribal clan is almost democratic, the senior members choose the leader to represent them and so that leader and hierarchy can change dramatically with each leader.

Whereas a house would have a particular bloodline from which the leadership would change based upon already established laws of succession (like eldest male).

Is that close to the truth as you picture it or am I way off.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  17:00:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and renewal of the covenant sounds very interesting, especially if it involves the lands of intrigue area (which needs a lot of historical tidying up in amn and tethyr).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  17:00:27  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just to be clear then, what's the difference between succession and hierarchies between a tribal clan and a formal house.

I think in my mind a tribal clan is almost democratic, the senior members choose the leader to represent them and so that leader and hierarchy can change dramatically with each leader.

Whereas a house would have a particular bloodline from which the leadership would change based upon already established laws of succession (like eldest male).

Yes, that is definitely part of it. It's not exclusive ... you could have a clan where leadership was inherited or a house where leadership is elected, but the house is much more about the bloodline and the clan is much more about the tribal totem (if there is one).

--
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2020 :  21:38:19  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

That is really interesting. I didn't realize that that is how the different ethnicities of Elves worked in their structuring. Very cool. Thank you!

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Yes, that is definitely part of it. It's not exclusive ... you could have a clan where leadership was inherited or a house where leadership is elected, but the house is much more about the bloodline and the clan is much more about the tribal totem (if there is one).

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000