Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Coat of Arms / Amn & Tethyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2008 :  20:03:30  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Where can I find the Coat of Arms / Flags from Amn and Tethyr?

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  09:04:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you checked in the Lands of Intrigue boxed set already? It's a free download at WotC, too.

And you might want to search through Ed's replies. I was going to do this for my 'Looking for all infos on Tethyr'-thread but have not come around to do it yet.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 13 Jun 2008 09:40:48
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  12:16:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the plethora of dynasties and rulers that Tethyr has had throughout its history, I thunk that its coat of arms has changed more than a few times. Ed's "Ecology of the Sea Lion" article in an old Dragon Magazine noted that Tethyr's coat of arms featured sea lions.

I seem to recall that Ed's previously told us what Amn's "flag" is but I can't recall where or when offhand.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  15:43:28  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ed's "Ecology of the Sea Lion" article in an old Dragon Magazine noted that Tethyr's coat of arms featured sea lions.

To be found in Dragon Magazine #107, according to the Dragondex.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 13 Jun 2008 15:43:55
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2008 :  15:43:54  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Lands of Intrigue box set I couldn`t find anything about it.
Hmmmm.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2008 :  13:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, many apologies, but I ran out of time long ago before doing up the coats of arms for noble families in Tethyr (and the nigh-extinct noble houses in Amn). That would be quite the project, even just in figuring out which noble houses survived the Black Days (precious few) and which ones in Amn survived the fall of the monarchy, etc. Then to detail said houses, both fallen and extant (since you can always find items and such with blazons and shields on them, whether there's a living relative who claims that mark or not).

In short, it's a lot of work that's never been done up front. I'll scurry amongst my notes and if anything pops up, I'll post it. That said, you may be just as well off finding a basic book on heraldry and developing what you need on your own.

Steven
who suddenly thinks that among the various published bits about Lord Hhune and his current wife you might find a few bits of Tethyrian heraldry....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2008 :  20:35:01  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This reminds me that for the NWN2 PW I'm involved with, which is set in Amn, I'm going to flesh out what the Amnian royalty was like.

What we've done with this project is we've taken where Steven left us at the close of Lands of Intrigue and are writing Amn's history, collaboratively with the players, thenceforth. We've fleshed out a number of things that weren't fully developed in LoI. But we always strive to base our own custom content on Steven's world as faithfully as possible. To do our best to imagine what various aspects of the world would be like based on what Steven laid out.

In this gameworld there is an underground movement in Amn to restore the monarchy. These royalists are appalled at the failure of the Council of Six to protect Amn from the Sythillisian Empire so swiftly and decisively conquering half the nation during the invasion of 1370. They long for a return to the days of Amn's grandeur under a great king such as Imnel. This of course means an end to the Council of Six, and they have to take care not to jeopardize the country any further. They need to choose their allies very carefully.

It seems to me that Amnian royalty would be a blend of Calishite and northern influences... probably favoring the Calishite system of caliphates or emirates. The Calishite cultural roots would be strong, I would think, since the founders of the nation were military officers from Calimshan. However they blended in a lot of northern influences with many Cormyrians and Westies settling the region from the nation's earliest days.

In 1370 there would be many descendants of former royalty. Since Amnian royalty would have been the wealthiest and most powerful citizens in the land, probably most of them would be among the most powerful merchant families since the formation of the Council of Six. And I would imagine some of those former royal families would have been ruined by rivals when the last king died and the monarchy ended and the scramble for power that ensued (i.e., without the king to support them any longer).

But anyway, I do intend to write up something for what Amnian royalty might have consisted of (up to 1276 when the last king was assassinated), complete with some coats of arms, and I'll be happy to share it here. It's just one FR fan's musings about what it might be like, but it'll be there for gamers to use if they like.

Edited by - Lemernis on 17 Jun 2008 22:36:43
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  04:16:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have a look at my lineage of the kings of Amn in "Grand History of the Realms" which was based on Steven's extensive notes.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  14:09:11  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been looking and looking to see if I could find Ed's answer about Amn's crest, but to no avail. Can anyone remember?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  17:22:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I think about it, I'm not sure that I was right way back in 2008 when I mentioned the possibility of Ed giving us this info.

I'd ping him on his thread to see what the answer is.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Xal Valzar
Learned Scribe

Argentina
214 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2014 :  23:07:15  Show Profile Send Xal Valzar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what are your plans with Amn?

Knowledge is Power
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000