Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Stats for the Hargaunt
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  04:16:39  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met, all.

I'm looking for stats on a monster called a "Hargaunt" that is used by the Wizard Horaundoon in Ed's "Swords of Eveningstar" and by the wizard Ghoroul Applethorn in "Swords of Dragonfire". I can't seem to find it in any of the Monster Compendia or Appendices.
Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  07:23:37  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My memory is not the best. Could you give me some more information on the creature?
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  17:08:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi. Sorry, the stats haven't been published anywhere yet. Until then, I'd say use (update) the stats for the old Peltast (2nd Edition creature, first published in DRAGON, an Ed Greenwood monster) or modify the executioner's hood (2nd Ed) or darkmantle. It's a smallish, amorphous symbiotic shapechanging critter, as you have probably gathered from the text of the novels. Something Ed lacked the wordcount to do more with, in the Knights books, i'm afraid.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 27 Apr 2008 17:10:45
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  01:55:10  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi. Sorry, the stats haven't been published anywhere yet. Until then, I'd say use (update) the stats for the old Peltast (2nd Edition creature, first published in DRAGON, an Ed Greenwood monster) or modify the executioner's hood (2nd Ed) or darkmantle. It's a smallish, amorphous symbiotic shapechanging critter, as you have probably gathered from the text of the novels. Something Ed lacked the wordcount to do more with, in the Knights books, i'm afraid.
love,
THO

Thanks THO. Fortunately, I am runing 2nd Edition. Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate any of the three creatures you suggested in any of my 2nd Edition monster manuals, compendiums or appendices. Can anyone help me to locate them? Also, I don't own any DRAGON, but our public library has the last 10 years or so. Could you (or anyone else) tell me what number the Old Peltast appears in, or perhaps what year?
Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  02:02:40  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the DragonDex (awesome site, makes me miss Dragon every time I use it): http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/monsters.html#p

The Peltast appears in issue 89's Creature Catalog.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  02:04:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Thanks THO. Fortunately, I am runing 2nd Edition. Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate any of the three creatures you suggested in any of my 2nd Edition monster manuals, compendiums or appendices. Can anyone help me to locate them? Also, I don't own any DRAGON, but our public library has the last 10 years or so. Could you (or anyone else) tell me what number the Old Peltast appears in, or perhaps what year?
Cheers,
Afet

The Peltast was detailed by Ed in DRAGON #89. For future reference, you can check the vast DRAGON article index stored at the DragonDex site:- http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  02:08:51  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

My memory is not the best. Could you give me some more information on the creature?

The Hargaaunt, as THO said, it is an amorphous, simbiotic creature. In SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE it is described as having tentacles. In SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR the Wizard Horaundoon keeps the Hargaunt as a kind of pet and uses it to disguise himself. He wears the Hargaunt, which molds itself to the likeness desired by the wearer. The Hargaunt does not appear to be overly intelligent but it appears to be at least mildly psionic being highly attuned to the emotions of its master. It expresses itself via a series of bell-like sounds. I can't rightly remember what the Hargaunt gains from the relationship.
Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 28 Apr 2008 02:40:50
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  02:39:18  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

According to the DragonDex (awesome site, makes me miss Dragon every time I use it): http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/monsters.html#p

The Peltast appears in issue 89's Creature Catalog.

Great, thanks! Sounds like I'll have to see if the Library can get that issue via interlibrary loan. Issue 89 is available from Paizo for $15+tax etc., which is, unfortunately, more than I can justify on my gaming budget for single article. It would be great if someone who has that issue would be willing to scan the article and send it to me? I don't know the laws for other jurisdictions, but Canadian copyright law allows for the copying of up to 10% of a publication for personal use. So, I'm sure copying the page(s) relating to the Peltast would fall well within "Fair Dealing" guidlines.
Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 28 Apr 2008 02:41:46
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  03:16:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have good news and bad news for you... I have the pdf of Dragon 89, from the Dragon Magazine Archive. Unfortunately, the article appears to have been on an insert that is not part of the pdf.

And it's not personal use if you copy something for someone else. Especially if you copy for someone else so they can avoid paying for it.

However... The peltast has a Monstrous Compendium page in the 2E City of Splendors boxed set. And not only is this one of the best supplements we've ever had for Waterdeep (the other being Volo's Guide to Waterdeep), but it's also available for only $4 from Paizo.

Odd error on the Dragondex site... The peltast article is, according to the Dragondex, a 3E article!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  03:30:35  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, I have good news and bad news for you... I have the pdf of Dragon 89, from the Dragon Magazine Archive. Unfortunately, the article appears to have been on an insert that is not part of the pdf.

And it's not personal use if you copy something for someone else. Especially if you copy for someone else so they can avoid paying for it.

However... The peltast has a Monstrous Compendium page in the 2E City of Splendors boxed set. And not only is this one of the best supplements we've ever had for Waterdeep (the other being Volo's Guide to Waterdeep), but it's also available for only $4 from Paizo.

Odd error on the Dragondex site... The peltast article is, according to the Dragondex, a 3E article!

Excellent, thanks Wooly! Found it. I have the City of Spendors Boxed set.

As I understand it, a copy made for personal use is a copy made for an individual to use, regardless of who makes the actual copy. If I were to request a copy of the relevant pages through an interlibrary loan request, for example, I would not be the person making the actual copies, but they would still be for personal use and fall within Fair Dealing practice.

The legal question of copying things to avoid purchasing them is a question of degree. The question here is not whether I will not or cannot purchase the publication, but rather whether a portion of that publication may be copied for personal use without infringing on copyright law. Canadian Law stipulates clearly that up to 10% of a publication may be copied for personal use without infringement.
Cheers,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 28 Apr 2008 04:04:07
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  04:26:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Correct. And under NAFTA, Canada and the USA recognize each other's copyright agreements as applying in the respective countries. Public libraries, BTW, pay into the Cancopy License program, which compensates publishers, so if you photocopy the Peltast at a library, you are doubly covered. The Peltast, if I remember rightly, laps onto parts of two pages.
Ed has details of the Hargaunt, but they got caught in the 3e to 3.5e to 4e shift, as he was writing the trilogy. Who knows if and when they'll see "print" (probably DDI).
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  04:59:01  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Hargaaunt, as THO said, it is an amorphous, simbiotic creature. In SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE it is described as having tentacles. In SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR the Wizard Horaundoon keeps the Hargaunt as a kind of pet and uses it to disguise himself. He wears the Hargaunt, which molds itself to the likeness desired by the wearer. The Hargaunt does not appear to be overly intelligent but it appears to be at least mildly psionic being highly attuned to the emotions of its master. It expresses itself via a series of bell-like sounds. I can't rightly remember what the Hargaunt gains from the relationship.
Cheers,
Afet

Hmm, this sounds extremely similar to something I remember reading about a particular (ancient Athalantan?) wizard whose longevity was due to bonding with a similar creature. Does anyone recall such a thing?
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2008 :  19:45:01  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The bell-ringing reminds me of the creature that tracked El to Myth Drannor. Was that a hargaunt? (Really good read, BTW.)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2008 :  02:48:30  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a classic theme or "trope" of fantasy (symbiotic human/monster relationship for mutual benefit, often longevity). Something Ed likes to use because he can show the human part of such a linkage exploring (or clinging to) what is most important to them, of their humanity (or at least reason for continued existence).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2019 :  18:29:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been 10 years since this question was originally asked... Did we ever get more info on the hargaunt?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000