Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Seeking Faerunian Star Chart [Question]
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Berdusk
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  12:48:14  Show Profile  Visit Berdusk's Homepage Send Berdusk a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey There,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place - if not, my apologies.

I'm trying to find a Star Chart to run for Faerun/Toril. I need this to create a time-based system on a MUD I'm developing based on Forgotten Realms that will have "real-world" consequences coinciding with planetary alignments, eclipses, and so on. I'm not looking for a Planes Cosmology, but what the people of the Realms see when they look up into the night sky.

Can anyone please point me to a good Forgotten Realms Star Chart? Many thanks in advance. :)

Temptation subdues sometimes even the greatest heart.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  15:44:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There isn't one, sorry. :( Ed has discussed a few of the constallations though in his replies but it was many years ago.

http://candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/so_saith_ed.htm

Do a search/find for constallations in the indexes, I believe that was what I typed them up as.

Beyond that the Realmspace Spelljammer sourcebook has some info on the stars but it's dated now because the cosmology has gone through 2 changes since then and in that book the stars are portals to one of the Elemental planes.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 22 Apr 2008 15:45:27
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  16:35:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

...and in that book the stars are portals to one of the Elemental planes.
Aye. They're actually portals to the Plane of Radiance.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  16:41:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Berdusk

Hey There,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place - if not, my apologies.

I'm trying to find a Star Chart to run for Faerun/Toril. I need this to create a time-based system on a MUD I'm developing based on Forgotten Realms that will have "real-world" consequences coinciding with planetary alignments, eclipses, and so on. I'm not looking for a Planes Cosmology, but what the people of the Realms see when they look up into the night sky.

Can anyone please point me to a good Forgotten Realms Star Chart? Many thanks in advance. :)

There was a website that compiled most of the information published on the constellations of Realmspace. Unfortunately, that particular webpage has since been lost to the ether.

The constellations themselves aren't identified in mainstream Faerūnian religion with the gods, though they have religious associations and portents among sky-gazers and mystics, and among animist cultures such as the Bedine.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Berdusk
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  17:13:02  Show Profile  Visit Berdusk's Homepage Send Berdusk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, good to know. :)

Since we're looking at what sounds like some pretty obscure references, are there any specific constellations I should be worried about? I am, of course, interested in creating as accurate a chart as possible for the game, but if we need to make some things up to get it working that's what we'll do.

Thanks again - I don't feel so bad about being unable to find anything now that I know there is no such thing (which I still find surprising). (O.O)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  18:12:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is some canon lore on stars and constellations, but it's all scattered, and there's not very much of it...

There was a good compilation of canon and non-canon info on this one particular Realmslore site, but it's since disappeared from the web. However, I did, at some point, copy the info from that page to a Word document. Ping me your email addy and I'll send it to you.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Berdusk
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  00:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Berdusk's Homepage Send Berdusk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to shout a quick thanks to everyone for their help. :D This doc is GREAT, Wooly - it's going to be a godsend for creating a Star Chart to base it off of, and I'll happily post it on Candlekeep when it's all done. Just one final question: where would I do that?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2008 :  04:35:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Berdusk

Just wanted to shout a quick thanks to everyone for their help. :D This doc is GREAT, Wooly - it's going to be a godsend for creating a Star Chart to base it off of, and I'll happily post it on Candlekeep when it's all done. Just one final question: where would I do that?

Contact Big Al. He's the head honcho who runs the site.

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2015 :  20:26:19  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was this star chart ever posted on the 'Keep?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2015 :  21:24:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that I recall, but I could be mistaken. I rarely get to the main portion of the site.

I should still have that doc parked on my hard drive, somewhere. So far as data is concerned, I am a packrat.

Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  16:40:10  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does this page:

http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/lore/stars_const.shtml

have any validity? I've used it myself for reference, don't know where the info came from though...

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  19:21:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That looks like the same info that was on the old Yet Another Forgotten Realms page; I'm pretty sure that's the same info I have.

Some of those are canon, but I don't recognize all of them. There are notes about the source material for some of the entries on the list; I assume the others are fanlore.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  03:50:26  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it strange that WotC won't let Ed release a big article on this and with a constellation images presented with it by now. I dunno who has yet to feel like something like this is extremely long overdue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000