Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 1st Edition AD&D Forgotten Realms Game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2017 :  20:47:49  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, psionics were always "optional" (and unwieldy) in every game edition and setting, barring Dark Sun and perhaps 4E.

All of the rules in 1E Unearthed Arcana were "optional", and those which survived the transition into 2E PHB/DMG were sidebarred as "optional". Meaning that straight roll-d20-for-THAC0-vs-AC is all that's really needed in the strictest sense.

But of course if you're gonna play 1E AD&D then you're gonna use *all* the "optional" AD&D rules and complexities. Otherwise you're gonna play Basic D&D.

The Sneak was a party's surety for survival in the 1E era, the first line of defense against instantly lethal traps scattered by the antagonistic DM. The Tank, Healer, and Artillery wouldn't last very long without the Sneak. Too bad the classic dirty treacherous cowardly little Sneak evolved into the foppish/elegant/emo Rogue then became discarded by the new paradigm of gishy parties with increasingly blurry/overlapping hybrid roles.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 12 Nov 2017 20:48:17
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2018 :  17:44:32  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think a month goes by where I don't think about this particular game and how I wish I hadn't blown it.

Had awesome players and just messed it all up.

I really like Melvaunt as a place to adventure from in the Moonsea area too.

My son wants to start a new game, so I may start in Phlan with Ruins of Adventure...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2019 :  09:01:04  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So another 1e question. My previously mentioned Paladin gets proficiency with 3 weapons at 1st level (I chose Bastard sword, glaive, and light crossbow) and I'm confused by the damage die. I get they don't use die but ranges of damage. My Paladin's 15 Str means he adds nothing to attack or damage, but what gets me is the attacking opponent damage change. A bastard sword deals 2-8 damage (2d4) vs. a Small and Medium creature but 2-16 (2d8) vs. Large creatures. So why the change in damage and more effecting larger foes?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2019 :  10:08:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

So another 1e question. My previously mentioned Paladin gets proficiency with 3 weapons at 1st level (I chose Bastard sword, glaive, and light crossbow) and I'm confused by the damage die. I get they don't use die but ranges of damage. My Paladin's 15 Str means he adds nothing to attack or damage, but what gets me is the attacking opponent damage change. A bastard sword deals 2-8 damage (2d4) vs. a Small and Medium creature but 2-16 (2d8) vs. Large creatures. So why the change in damage and more effecting larger foes?

Larger target means more of it gets hit by the blade.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2019 :  10:36:39  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Larger target means more of it gets hit by the blade.

That's.....kinda odd. Maybe it's mitigated by extra HP bigger creatures get? Well at least I read it correctly lol.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2019 :  11:44:52  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I always viewed that as larger monsters have more hitpoints and to balance that take more damage from certain weapon types reflecting that a hit would strike a larger area of their body (as a counter balance). But I think some weapons did less damage to larger creatures as well? Must've been some logic to it!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000