Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Searching for low level 2nd Ed. NPCs
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  03:58:49  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am running an AD&D 2nd Edition campaign in Cormyr with five low level PCs (avg level 3). I am searching for a source for low level NPCs of various sorts to populate shops, taverns, garrisons etc. At the moment I am looking for some NPC thieves. I´m not necessarily looking for complete character sheets, though that would be okay, but I would like more more detailed stats than the standard descriptions from the FR products: eg: "Maethlin (NE hm T5)"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  11:40:25  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there are a bunch in the 2nd book in the 2E FR Campaign Setting (the one with the Spellfire cover...I forget what its called) but a bunch of low level 2E NPCs are in there.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  19:19:38  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. Unfortunately, the NPCs in book two are heavy on description and light on character stats. The entry for Flame the thief, for example, gives only the standard FR stats: NE hm T7 (p. 34). It does not give his other basic stats such as AC, THAC0, Dmg, etc., much less his thieving skills stats. I could flesh that out myself, of course, but it would save me a lot of time to find some NPCs with the basic stats fleshed out that I could then adapt to my needs.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  20:19:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 2E, detailed statblocks were the exception, not the rule. Part of the design philosophy was that leaving things vague meant that DMs could tweak NPCs exactly as they needed to.

3E has reversed that trend, with the idea that if something can be encountered, it has to be something you can fight. With the info given, you're left to figure out what the NPC/critter does outside of combat, but you've got more info that you need to fight it. What's sad, though, is that those who know statblocks often find that the published statblocks are full of errors.

And really, it's not necessary to fully stat out all the NPCs. Just fill in the blanks you expect to have to use, and go from there. There's no need to worry about Flame's Read Languages or Open Locks percentages if he's only going to be a pickpocket, for example. It's doubtful that you'd need to worry about exactly what languages he speaks, or whether or not he knows Rope Use. Give him the Pick Pockets percentage that you need him to have, and fill in the other stuff only if necessary.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  21:31:46  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Low-level NPCs...hmmm... fully fleshed out... for 2nd edition.

Aside from a couple of adventures not many come to mind. As Wooly said, most of it was left for the DM to develop, some might give a relevant attribute and such, but most were just that: hm wiz8 CG.

If it's bad guys you are looking for... stuff for the characters to fight, check out some low-level adventures: Sword of the Dales comes to mind, or Marco Volo (which I had a blast just reading through), or Accursed Tower.

You get more stats in Villains Lorebook, but those guys are not really low in level.

And there may be some usable ones in the various region boxed set: Spellbound, Ruins of Zhentil Keep.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  21:39:29  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was going to mention the Featherdale Dragons (or whatever that group was called, I'm afb atm) in the last Marco Volo. You know, the inept ones. Nothing like trying to babysit a bunch of inept egomaniacs while you're trying to save the world from an evil god...

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  21:47:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Aside from a couple of adventures not many come to mind. As Wooly said, most of it was left for the DM to develop, some might give a relevant attribute and such, but most were just that: hm wiz8 CG.

The relevant attributes listed were usually only those of 16 or higher. And a lot of statblocks didn't even have those -- it was a later development, and not one that went across the board in Realms stuff.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  00:23:33  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice. I agree that there is no need to flesh out all of a NPC´s stats if I´m only using a few of them; in this case, picking locks, moving silently, hiding in shadows and backstabbing.

Just today I found number of usable NPC thieves in the DEN OF THIEVES accessory by Wes Nicholson(TSR 9515).

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  00:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might also want to take a look at the solo adventures Thieves' Challenge I and II. They weren't very good adventures, but by golly they had some thieves!

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  02:10:45  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Super, thanks.

As those of you who have read my post in the "Well Met" section, "Returning to D&D after a 20 year absence", I´m still getting my DMing legs back. I´m sure that NPC generation and adaptation will get easier as I refamiliarize myself with the intricacies of the rules and develop a bank of NPCs to call upon and adapt. I´m frankly surprised, though, that there isn´t an online archive of ready to use player generated NPCs; like the adventures stored at rpgarchive.com

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  08:44:46  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try a few of the sourcebooks hereabouts ...

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

... who may feature a few of them. The Villain's Lorebook has some in the appendix (e.g., about Menzo), while Lands of Intrigue, Calimport, Vilhon Reach and the Undermountain things do feature some as well. So should, AFAIK, Four from Cormyr.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2008 :  12:34:50  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Menzoberranzan boxed set has some NPCs with a lot of stats that are for pre-made PCs...Drow though

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2008 :  22:01:51  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for your help. I have managed to find a number of usable NPCs. For future reference, for anyone reading this thread at some later date, I found a number of useful statistically fleshed out low to medium level NPCs in "City Adventures" section of the "Cities of Mystery" Accessory (TSR 9262 /FR8).

Afet bint Tuzaní

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000