Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 0 level spells
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2008 :  21:12:01  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Absolutely! Dancing Lights is a cantrip but it's far from useless!!! light up your enemies from a carefully chosen hidden position, and move the "spotlight" while your friends pepper them with arrows! he he he! my favorite gnomish trick!

(throw in a few ghost sounds... and it's utter chaos!!)
Go to Top of Page

Stonwulfe
Seeker

Canada
81 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2008 :  21:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Stonwulfe's Homepage Send Stonwulfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite nasties with Cantrips is to set up a large number of very obvious, very securely rooted deadfall traps in a gorge. The boulders, logs, and dead ogre bodies should weigh enough that the anchor chain will strain (but not break) a water-soaked wooden peg. The peg, of course, acts as the lynchpin.

The peg, when hit with a mallet, won't move. The trap, with a little acting, will appear to not have worked, and the enemy will laugh and rush in. However, you follow this up by using ray of frost on the wood-soaked peg and CRACK, you got yourself one busted chain and a whole army of dead baddies.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2008 :  23:15:48  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Geez! talk about a Road Runner moment!
Go to Top of Page

Aureus
Learned Scribe

Luxembourg
125 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  18:08:37  Show Profile Send Aureus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow, it seems I set loose an avalanche

PS: I was alos thinking about orisons but hadn't thought any prerequisitions so far

That is not the weirdest thing that happened to me
Go to Top of Page

Iliyan
Acolyte

Croatia
42 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  09:30:08  Show Profile  Visit Iliyan's Homepage Send Iliyan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Stonwulfe's example of cantrip power is my immage of magic in the world of DnD...

If you use it in inventive ways, you are rewarded, and if you dont, then you better have your back covered!

If I would increase the effectiveness of Magic in a campaign, giving unlimited cantrips/orisons to trained casters could very well end up with a Terry Pratchet world >< Magic pollution would be HUUGe, since any caster of lvl 1 would be unbalanced, however, if you add it to players only... now thats a different idea, would add much more magic into the player's lives, and not to mention fun!

Ray of frost on the glass of water next to someone, and then blame them for breaking the cup, and paying for it! :D
Could make loooads of bar fights that way! :D
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000