Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Empires of the Shining Seas product
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maransreth
Learned Scribe

Australia
157 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2008 :  03:06:02  Show Profile Send maransreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
While looking at the NobleKnight website yesterday I came across a FR RPG product I have never seen before "Empires of the Shining Seas", withmore info found at http://www.candlekeep.com/bookshelf/products/9561.htm . So my questions:

How is this product different to the Lands of Intrigue box set?
Does it only contain Calimshan info (it mentions the Lake of Steam)?
Does any of the Aussies on the board every remember seeing this product? Because I dont every remember seeing it come out, and it is definitely something I have not seen on Australian Ebay or any 2ndhand stores I have looked at.

Lastly, is there a pdf of this available so I can at least know the information if I can't have a hard copy on my shelf.

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2008 :  04:05:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's a box set that mostly discusses Calimshan but it also has a section about the Lands of the Lion.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2008 :  05:00:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maransreth

How is this product different to the Lands of Intrigue box set?
The region of Calimshan receives extensive detailing, thanks largely to the efforts of both Steven Schend and Dale Donovan.
quote:
Does it only contain Calimshan info (it mentions the Lake of Steam)?
The Lake of Steam does receive some attention, as do the border areas of Calimshan, and the Arnaden Region [the Land of the Lions that Kuje mentioned above].
quote:
Does any of the Aussies on the board every remember seeing this product? Because I dont every remember seeing it come out, and it is definitely something I have not seen on Australian Ebay or any 2ndhand stores I have looked at.
It was sold in Australia... in fact, my NSLARNFGS still has a "second-hand" copy in stock.
quote:
Lastly, is there a pdf of this available so I can at least know the information if I can't have a hard copy on my shelf.
There is a copy available at paizo.com for just $4US.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Na-Gang
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
348 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2008 :  14:35:31  Show Profile  Visit Na-Gang's Homepage Send Na-Gang a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a very good, very comprehensive product. I would heartily recommend it to anyone who wants to be drowning in lore (and I mean that in a good way).
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2008 :  19:34:57  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it's a must for these regions ...it's a well written book indeed...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Shilo99
Seeker

63 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2008 :  12:15:41  Show Profile  Visit Shilo99's Homepage Send Shilo99 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'd suggest its still pretty relevent (edition-proof) for the lore...lots of lore. Can be heavy going & has a big focus on leaders not the people, but worth it. Provides most of the detail we know of the Lake of Steam & surrounds, which is still relevent (and I'd suggest still will be in 4E future).

You won't many references to planetouched etc in Calimshan & surrounds, which are primarily 3E artifacts & which I think add plenty of value to this millieu.
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2017 :  14:44:08  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cast "resurect scroll"

About the Seventh Age, the text pg 33 ends abruptly by "The reconstruction of the present-day Golden Road"

Next page begins with the title "The Eighth Age"

Did someone know what's happened ? or where the missing text could be found ?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2017 :  17:07:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

Cast "resurect scroll"

About the Seventh Age, the text pg 33 ends abruptly by "The reconstruction of the present-day Golden Road"

Next page begins with the title "The Eighth Age"

Did someone know what's happened ? or where the missing text could be found ?

My copy doesn't end abruptly. The sentence finishes: "...dates from this era".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2017 :  17:15:08  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for this clarification and your fast reply.

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2017 :  22:08:10  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite realms boxed sets. Lots of infos. I used Arnaden region to run my Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil mega adventure.

Edited by - dragonfriend on 08 Nov 2017 22:08:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000