Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2008)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 86

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  17:51:10  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message
I have a question for Ed concerning one of the rituals performed by the clergy of Mielikki. "At least once a month, every member of the clergy must perform the Song of the Trees and serve any dryads, hamadryads or treants their song calls forth. The clergy members perform small tasks requested of them, but are free of dryad charms through the will of the Lady." Could you provide some ideas on what some of the small tasks might be? Most of the ones I've thought of seem cliche or overly done and needing quite a few a year, I was looking for a new perspective rather then starting to repeat used ones. Thanks...
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  20:56:03  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
What is Lady Addee Ulphor of Shadowdale like?
I suspect she is human, or less likely a half-elf? The FRCG doesn't say, so I assume human.

Edit:
I actually picture her a middle-aged woman, likely a bit stubborn and apparently not much charmed by the Sage of Shadowdale (she probably refers to him as 'that mad nutter').
Anyway, I can add any details myself, but I need to know her race (and anything else already determined) to avoid any conflicts with past or future lore.

Also, as the last days of the year are fastly approaching, let me wish you all - and Ed and THO especially - a happy new year. I'll spend my last day of the year at home, editing an adventure I received yesterday (and yes, the question is related to that adventure), and watching the new years 'conference' of one or two comedians with my wife, but I am sure some of my friends will spend the crossing-over with some Forgotten Realms game, butchering innocent dragons*

*) History has shown that New Years eve spells bad news for them.

Edited by - gomez on 30 Dec 2008 08:13:10
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  01:45:36  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Ed if you created Chult, can you offer any info on any nasty parasites and critters and what they do to host?

Happy New Year in advance.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  03:23:00  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message
Ed & THO,

When do elves celebrate new year?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  03:36:54  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Ed & THO,

When do elves celebrate new year?

This like most other things likely has the answer is, It depends.

Religion could be a factor, elves of the underdark likely do not care or know about the solistic for example.

Years can start at a new founding of an era/realm and so on.
Elves as much like humans invert or determine when a new year begins.

If there was a better question in might have been when the deity of the elves intended for a new year to start, alas that deity is now somewhat a deity of magic now.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  08:22:40  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message
Selune is the one who determines the cycle of the moon (Sorta), so wouldn't she be the one who determines it?
And since she is also Sehanine or Angharradh (or is this now a composite of Selune, Sune, and Auril ???).
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  14:21:45  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message
No questions for Ed. I just want to say that I joined a 4th edition Living Realms game. Yes there are too many differences from the Realms I know and love, but the game system itself has changed dramatically. And I suppose ultimately the Realms serves D&D. Not the other way around.

I won't ever be completely satisfied until the Realms is owned and published by Ed, and a game system is built around the Realms. Until that happy (and unlikely) day, I'll accept the New Realms as a place to visit every so often.

Edited by - RodOdom on 30 Dec 2008 14:25:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  16:05:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all. Ed still has his family visiting and is working at the library today, but I am expecting a Realmslore reply from him (late, late tonight, which means "tomorrow" on this board's clock).
In the meantime, I'll give some hints'n'tidbits of my own by way of "starter" answers to some of the recent posts.

AlorinDawn, I believe the elven calendar is lunar-based, and year breaks coincide with the founding of something (I can't recall if it's an elven realm, or a particular "sacred" tree, or something else).

createvmind, Ed did indeed create Chult, and populated it with lots of nasty insects and maggot-like parasites, too (never published by TSR). I'll prod him to dig up his old, old notes on this topic.

gomez, I have no idea if Lady Addee Ulphor is human or half-elven or "other," but her first name is most commonly borne by half-elves.

rjfras, I believe most of those "little tasks" have to do with planting new trees and tending existing ones, which is vital but mundane work that's both endless and requires more personnel than any clergy currently has, to do superbly. However, i know Ed can and will provide a far more comprehensive answer.

Zanan, I believe the nickname of the sword and the title of the book varied in Ed's original, too, precisely so that the title could be a comment on the "always more blood to be shed" life of an adventurer and the violent nature of lives in much of the Realms. Again, Ed will confirm or elaborate.

MrJake, I'm afraid the "Khelben matters" you're interested in are NDA, precisely because Ed doesn't want to do ANYTHING to trammel future possibilities for books by Steven Schend or work by other folks designing or writing for the Realms. He can express the specifics better than I can, of course.

Nerfed2Hell, the various replies posted thus far are probably the best you can get. The nature of Cormyr (wherein the Obarskyrs and their local lords have a degree of law-making and -interpreting power, but the War Wizards [especially under Vangerdahast and Baerauble] and senior Purple Dragon commanders have far more daily, on-the-ground interpretive powers . . . and the nobles often resist Crown attempts to curtail their "rights," and in more recent times the Writ formalizes and extends commoners' rights) means there's a fluctuating but steadily increasing body of case law modifying formal laws, which are pretty close to what's been posted. Ed will of course say more on this, but probably not much more or different than I have.

Whew. So saith me. I'll bring you the words of Ed as usual, right up until the New Year advent, and then in the 2009 thread - - and I don't think he's finished giving us Realmslore in 2008.
So, standing by,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  16:07:52  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Heh. so, as always, keep those questions coming, right?
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  16:08:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Right.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Baleful Avatar
Learned Scribe

Canada
161 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  19:05:59  Show Profile  Visit Baleful Avatar's Homepage Send Baleful Avatar a Private Message
In case I don't get back online before 2008 gives way to 2009, I'd like to wish Ed and THO both a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year!
But I'm not just in the forefront of the deluge of well-wishers. I DO have a Realms question.
Which is this:
How well do members of one realm's army "know" the uniforms of another land's army? That they're NOT fighting right then, or recently? I.e. members of Waterdeep City Guard see a visitor to Waterdeep in a Purple Dragon uniform; will they know his rank at a glance? Or vice versa, in Suzail?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

MrJake
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  00:12:29  Show Profile  Visit MrJake's Homepage Send MrJake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

MrJake, I'm afraid the "Khelben matters" you're interested in are NDA, precisely because Ed doesn't want to do ANYTHING to trammel future possibilities for books by Steven Schend or work by other folks designing or writing for the Realms. He can express the specifics better than I can, of course.

Awwwwww....

Oh well, thanks for asking.

Happy Holidays

MrJake

The road goes ever on and on,
Down from my door where it began.
Now far ahead the road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.
Go to Top of Page

wakaman
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  03:30:59  Show Profile  Visit wakaman's Homepage Send wakaman a Private Message
Hello there Ed and others!

There has been alot of discussion lately on my NWN server concerning the interaction betwen psionics and weave magic.

Some of us have argued that Psionics are completely independant of Weave Magic, and one never affects the other. This view is based on the fact that, obviously, weave magic can't dispell psionic abilities etc etc.

Others of us have argued that Psionics and Weave magic actually -do- interact with each other, and are linked. The proofs given were various weave spells such as "Dweomer of Transference" and the fact that back in the times of Netheril, arcane wards that potected vs. weave magic were so powerful that they warded agaisnt psionics as well (this is from Netheril: Empire of Magic).

We have been trying to reach a conclusion, but have not been able to. Are Psionics completely independant of the Weave, or are they not? and why is this so, whatever the case may be?

It's clear that there's something fundamental that we're missing here.

Thank you up front for your answer!

wakaman
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  03:45:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
See THO's post from July 29th 2004.

You can find Ed's old replies in this part of Candlekeep:

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/so_saith_ed.htm

quote:
Originally posted by wakaman

Hello there Ed and others!

There has been alot of discussion lately on my NWN server concerning the interaction betwen psionics and weave magic.

Some of us have argued that Psionics are completely independant of Weave Magic, and one never affects the other. This view is based on the fact that, obviously, weave magic can't dispell psionic abilities etc etc.

Others of us have argued that Psionics and Weave magic actually -do- interact with each other, and are linked. The proofs given were various weave spells such as "Dweomer of Transference" and the fact that back in the times of Netheril, arcane wards that potected vs. weave magic were so powerful that they warded agaisnt psionics as well (this is from Netheril: Empire of Magic).

We have been trying to reach a conclusion, but have not been able to. Are Psionics completely independant of the Weave, or are they not? and why is this so, whatever the case may be?

It's clear that there's something fundamental that we're missing here.

Thank you up front for your answer!

wakaman

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ErskineF
Learned Scribe

USA
330 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  04:03:07  Show Profile  Visit ErskineF's Homepage Send ErskineF a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

See THO's post from July 29th 2004.

You can find Ed's old replies in this part of Candlekeep:

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/sse/so_saith_ed.htm

I loved the story from the same reply. Have those been extracted and collected somewhere?

--
Erskine Fincher
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/index.php
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  04:23:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Don't think so... Just the compiled replies that I was keeping until Sage took it over. :)

quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

I loved the story from the same reply. Have those been extracted and collected somewhere?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  04:32:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Don't think so... Just the compiled replies that I was keeping until Sage took it over. :)

quote:
Originally posted by ErskineF

I'm still in the process of collating those story bits. But I'm afraid compiling Ed's Realmslore replies have taken precedence for the most part.

I'll let you know when I'm done ErskineF.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Dec 2008 04:35:19
Go to Top of Page

wakaman
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  05:33:55  Show Profile  Visit wakaman's Homepage Send wakaman a Private Message
Thank you very much for the swift reply!

However, If Psionics were indeed independant of the Weave, why was netherese magic, which was weave magic, capable of blocking psionic abilities?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  05:41:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
Ah, you might be running into the 2E/3E rules differences. In 2E, psionics could not affect magic and vice versa. With 3E, one could effect the other (called Psionic-Magic Transparency). Since a lot of Netherese information was published in 3E, one could effect the other.

This was the standard procedure for psionics and magic, although it was listed that you could still use the optional Psionics is Different approach where they don't affect each other.

Edit: Of course, none of this explains the lore of the interaction between psionics and magic in the Realms.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 31 Dec 2008 05:43:15
Go to Top of Page

wakaman
Acolyte

12 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  06:08:03  Show Profile  Visit wakaman's Homepage Send wakaman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Ah, you might be running into the 2E/3E rules differences. In 2E, psionics could not affect magic and vice versa. With 3E, one could effect the other (called Psionic-Magic Transparency). Since a lot of Netherese information was published in 3E, one could effect the other.

This was the standard procedure for psionics and magic, although it was listed that you could still use the optional Psionics is Different approach where they don't affect each other.

Edit: Of course, none of this explains the lore of the interaction between psionics and magic in the Realms.

Ah, I see..!

That does explain some issues. Can you please give me some more information about the Psionic-Magic Transparency?

Also, the theorisers on our forum have theorised that both the Weave and Psionics are sourced from the same 'stem-magic', that's regulated by Mystra or such in different ways: Weave for arcanists and divine casters, and Psionics for psions.

This solved pretty much all of the problems, because it showed that psionics -can- be independant of weave magic in most cases, due to they both being entirely different counduits between 'stem-magic' and their users, and yet, having an orinigal link to each other that, if accessed, allows a 'transference' between each other. That is, say, if weave magic is -un-filtered into the original, 'stem-magic', it could then be used by Psions - as say, with Dweomer of Transference, the spell.

These have been 'postulations' ofcourse, but they seem to make everything work.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  13:55:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by wakaman

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Ah, I see..!

That does explain some issues. Can you please give me some more information about the Psionic-Magic Transparency?

Also, the theorisers on our forum have theorised that both the Weave and Psionics are sourced from the same 'stem-magic', that's regulated by Mystra or such in different ways: Weave for arcanists and divine casters, and Psionics for psions.

This solved pretty much all of the problems, because it showed that psionics -can- be independant of weave magic in most cases, due to they both being entirely different counduits between 'stem-magic' and their users, and yet, having an orinigal link to each other that, if accessed, allows a 'transference' between each other. That is, say, if weave magic is -un-filtered into the original, 'stem-magic', it could then be used by Psions - as say, with Dweomer of Transference, the spell.

These have been 'postulations' ofcourse, but they seem to make everything work.

Actually, a lot of this is covered in the Expanded Psionics Handbook (and in the SRD, for the exact info, click here) for D&D in general. I'd like to hear Ed's take on the Realmsian side of the discussion.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  14:38:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Well met

Could I please request that my fellow scribes refrain from posting any more requests for lore to Ed and THO as this scroll will soon be locked [this then allows THO to better synchronise the crossover into the upcoming 2009 scroll]. You may resume your requests in the 2009 scroll.

Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  14:56:15  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message
No lore request, just wanted to wish Ed, THO, the scibes of Candlekeep, and all their families a Happy and Healthy 2009.

~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  15:03:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
And with that being the case, and since Australia has now entered '09, please be aware that this scroll will now be closing, with Ed's Realmslore answers and The Hooded One's grace and charm starting fresh in a new scroll for 2009.

Casts Seal Scroll.

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Dec 2008 15:04:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 86 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000