Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Drow
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mistellor
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2002 :  21:23:39  Show Profile  Visit Mistellor's Homepage Send Mistellor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wandering if anyone knew where I could get any Info on the Drow and there classes etc.

Mistellor

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2002 :  09:46:41  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're looking for 3rd edition rules, I wouls suspect that the City of the Spider Queen will hold most of the information you're looking for. Other than that, the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting has a little information in the section of powerfull races.
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2002 :  19:30:43  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are three excellent sources available for 2nd edition:

"Drow of the Underdark" by Ed Greenwood - it does exactly what it says on the tin.

"Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark" - while not a book about Drow per se, it's a very good book for uderstanding the Drow minset.

"Menzobarranzan" - the boxed set of the main Drow city. I don't believe this is in print anymore but I've seen it on e-bay a few times recently.

For 3rd edition - I think we'll have to wait and see what comes out in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  03:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps my fellow scribes will ostracise me for this one, but...

As helpful as those afore-mentioned core books are, I don't think ANYTHING compares to Salvatore's novels as far as how deeply one can get into the world of the Drow....

Homeland, Starless Night and Siege of Darkness in particular leave no stone unturned.....I always get chills when Matron Baenre intones the line that I think truly defines the Drow: "My sisters...it is good that we never met this day."

I think that it should be made punishable by death for a DM to use Menzoberranzan or Drow in general without having read Homeland at the very least...but, that's just me.....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  04:02:37  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arion , i couldnt have said it better myself, nothing in the WORLD compares to Homeland in respects of understanding and seeing what the drow are about and how they operate!!

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2002 :  09:46:43  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen

For 3rd edition - I think we'll have to wait and see what comes out in the future.

I agree with kahonen. Though I referred to City of the Spider Queen, it does not really provide the answers Mistellor is looking for. I'm afraid all there is for now are the 3e Core Rule Books and the various references in the 3e Realms products.
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  19:19:27  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

Perhaps my fellow scribes will ostracise me for this one, but...

I wouldn't ostracise you (even if I knew what it meant)
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  21:47:14  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mistellor

I was wandering if anyone knew where I could get any Info on the Drow and there classes etc.

This looks like what you might be looking for:

http://www.wizards.com/D20/article.asp?x=dt20021015b
Go to Top of Page

kiwidoc
Acolyte

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2002 :  10:44:07  Show Profile  Visit kiwidoc's Homepage Send kiwidoc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are several websites out there with onformation on Drow. Dlabraddath, my own site, has a section in the elf site on Dark Elves - http://mythdrannor.hosttoday.co.uk/DlabraddathNet/z-Cormanthyr/Dark%20elves.htm
Go here - http://mythdrannor.hosttoday.co.uk/DlabraddathNet/z-Dlabraddath/portals.htm#Elves for links to The Drow Chambers; The Drow Fortress and The Underdark.

Dlabraddath ~ http://www.myth-drannor.net/. The site for the goodly races of D&D
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2002 :  05:31:53  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, kiwidoc...

Don't know if you are still on, but I must say...it is good INDEED to see another lady around these dusty walls.....

Chatting with Alaundo is well and good...but the beard just does NOTHING for me....

Forgive me, I am terribly uncouth....

What's that? Yes Master Alaundo...I'll go back to sweeping the cobwebs off of the ever-cobwebbed ceiling...........sigh.........

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2002 :  09:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

Ahem, well I thought I look quite handsome with this beard.... considering my extreme age anyway! if only people would stop tugging it to see if its real

Anyway, enough chat, now get on with that dusting!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Tyreal Nyquis
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2002 :  05:24:43  Show Profile  Visit Tyreal Nyquis's Homepage Send Tyreal Nyquis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Allow me to recomend my perfered compendium of all things drow, http://drowfortress.cjb.net/ , The Drow Fortress. Within it's walls contains information on Drow culture and society that would rival that of Candlekeep.

"Spells are highly overrated. I mean, you spend half your life shut up in a dusty tower pouring over unitelligible tomes and for what? A few gloriful moments on the battlefield and a permanent case of eye strain." - Tyreal Ny'quis of Sigil
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2018 :  17:04:11  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acolyte Mistellor,

I would have to agree with Senior Scribe Elenim. I think about it as I do an academic with my works in economics: applied versus theory. I have plenty of things I've learned as I was being educated as an economist, however, when you get to work trying to apply it, you get a whole different feel for it, and I think that is where the novels versus the texts (both very relevant of course) are applicable.

I would also recommend Polyhedron magazine #140 where the city of Undreath is discussed with Queen (yep, you heard me right, a Drow Queen) Nathglaryst, some discussions of Ched Nasad, and of course the vast amount of Drow related novels out now, which I believe number thirty-three.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Mistellor

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000