Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Gossamer Plain & Grand History (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  08:38:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Warning the following post contains spoilers from The Gossamar Plain

Ive just remembered that Gossamar Plain is partly set in the House of the Triad and features a cleric of Cyric. Now given what we know about 4ed FR and the Spell plague, will The Empyrean odyssey be the trilogy that brings about the death of Helm and Mystra..........

Mod Edit: Changed title to better call out spoilers and discern the topic at hand.

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Arkhaedun on 03 Oct 2007 03:25:54

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  18:30:47  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i absolutely loved that novel. the way those celestials were fleshed out was outstanding. having said that, i DO NOT look forward to this 4e shiznit; but what are loyal fans to do? i need that novel fix as much as sourcebooks.

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  22:02:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my players and I were speculating on this. Its several years difference, but then we don't have a date for when Siamorphe leaves the house of the triad. It might be interesting to see what the alu-fiend and tiefling get dragged into by the Cyricist.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  04:22:48  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

One of my players and I were speculating on this. Its several years difference, but then we don't have a date for when Siamorphe leaves the house of the triad. It might be interesting to see what the alu-fiend and tiefling get dragged into by the Cyricist.

Yeah we do, she leaves the Triad in 1384 according to the GHotR
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  15:50:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>Yeah we do, she leaves the Triad in 1384 according to the GHotR

I'm thinking that that whole layout of her leaving, Sune planting the idea of Tymora, the arranging of Helm as courier, the courtship, the "betrayal", etc... didn't all happen in necessarily in the same year (that would seem like a huge whirlwind of stuff to happen so quickly). The way it was written up seemed like they just wanted to keep the story together. Not that it couldn't have, but if someone were to write up in a novel that Siamorphe and Tyr's disagreement started in say 1378, she move her domain in say 1379, the introduction and courtship of Tymora occur from say 1380-1383 or somesuch I don't think anyone would have a serious issue with it. Technically though, you are correct, they didn't lay it out as if it occurred over X time span (almost like the last page was thrown together kinda quick), so by default Siamorphe moved out in 1384.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  21:09:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My gut feeling is that this trilogy will not directly have to do with those events. So far, thematically, the whole series has been about mortals and "one level" removed, i.e. outsiders. No gods have directly had shown up in the plot, nor has there even been references to Siamorphe, Sune, or Tymora at this juncture.

My guess, and I could be wrong, is that there might be a reference to the events in an epilogue or something of that nature, or we might see some forshadowing going on, but I don't think that the crux of the trilogy will be directly about these events.

But I've been wrong before.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  03:16:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because of my skeptical attitude towards the design direction of WotC's Realms, I don't "trust" this series--that is, I have the feeling there will be earth-shattering events involved.

I hope I'm wrong. I really enjoyed the first book.

As for title question--we have no way of knowing if Helm's death was Mr. Reid's idea. I didn't think it was. Remember too that when major characters are killed off, it's usually WotC's idea and shouldn't be "blamed" on the author.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000