Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Brian R. James
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

chance87
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  03:20:04  Show Profile Send chance87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was truly exceptional, Brian. I'll have to re-read it a couple of times, and print the pages to stuff into my copy of GHotR.

How about another area we don't see much info on in print? Maybe the Dragon Coast?

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I'm not currently scheduled to write another regional timeline, but I would be happy to do so if Wizards permitted it. Any suggestions for the next region you would like to see covered in more detail?

quote:
Originally posted by BlackMoria

I really appreciated the timeline of the Moonshaes. Brian, is it your intention to do more 'regional' timelines or it is a one-off sort of thing?

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1071 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  02:19:06  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dragon Coast is a great suggestion chance87. I might add The Vast to the list as well.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames, and please be sure to check out the RED AEGIS Roleplaying Game
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  02:46:57  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage  Click to see Sian's MSN Messenger address Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i would personally love to see the Bloodstone lands (Vaasa and Damara) even more fleshed out than they have been till now ... one of the things i've wondered about is if Damara will ever get to the point where they take over control of Vaasa 'officialy' (as three was talkings of in 2E but i don't seem to remember any real update other than status quo in 3e

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2008 :  23:55:54  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Brian,
Some time ago I ordered my copy of GHotR and received it about 2 weeks ago. It took me some time to get through all this yumy fluff but it was absolutely worth it. You really done a splendid job. It must have been a great feeling to incorporate your own ideas into the Realms canon. I also have a question which is of great importance to me as I'm writing an article about Ibrandul. In Grand History you've written that in -530 DR some nomadic tribes from Calimshan were enslaved by the drow from Guallidurth as an outcome of the Night Wars and after centuries of evolution in Underdark they became skulks. Now, in 2nd edition's "Faiths & Avatars" sourcebook, it is said that some time after the enslavement of nomadic tribes but still before the rise of the Shoon Empire, Ibrandul came and freed the slaves. What I would like to know is the more-or-less date of the birth of Ibrandul's cult. Also if you have any bits of historical lore about this dead deity it would be very useful. Thanks in advance for any help.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1071 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  14:42:38  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’m afraid my knowledge of Ibrandul’s cult is limited Verghityax. As Ibrandul was primarily worshiped by Calishites, it’s possible that Steven Schend would know more of their origins. Of course Eric Boyd is well known as an expert on a multitude of deities so it may be beneficial to ask your question on his scroll as well. Sorry I couldn’t be more of a help.

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames, and please be sure to check out the RED AEGIS Roleplaying Game
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2008 :  08:55:04  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless I am mistaken, the only knowledge we have on Ibrandul's cult comes from Faiths & Avatars, Demihuman Deities (Lolth has taken up a few of his Underdark "gray" druids), and the Calimport sourcebook.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29636 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2008 :  11:09:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the first reference to Ibrandul was in the first Ruins of Undermountain boxed set, as part of the ibrandlin monster entry.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2008 :  11:46:25  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly is indeed correct. The first mention of Ibrandul was in the write-up of the ibrandlin on the looseleaf MC sheet in Ruins of Undermountain.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
49 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2008 :  21:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Hawkfeather's Homepage Send Hawkfeather a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Dragon Coast is a great suggestion chance87. I might add The Vast to the list as well.

Please, Brian, add The Vast to the list!!
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2008 :  22:39:49  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Wooly is indeed correct. The first mention of Ibrandul was in the write-up of the ibrandlin on the looseleaf MC sheet in Ruins of Undermountain.

Well, Wooly is a Master of Mieschief and as such, he would know such details! (BTW, in essence, most of the AD&D material that there is to know appears in the F&A entry. The other sources either formed part of it, or are simply out-takes of it. ... and he was one of the more interesting deities in days gone by.)

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  14:18:27  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for help :)
Go to Top of Page

chance87
Seeker

50 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  04:12:51  Show Profile Send chance87 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the new preview, Brian. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080227a&authentic=true

While I continue to find it hard to support the changes to the Realms, I do appreciate the quality of work being done. Although almost everything else in the article will go into the circular file IMC, I do like the cities of Jhaamdath being revealed - I could build a whole campaign around that. Nice touch.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1071 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  05:43:28  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chance. I respect that not everyone is going to like the 4E Realms, but if you're able to use anything at all out of the article then I'm satisfied. Indeed a mini-campaign exploring old Jhaamdath ruins would be great! If you do run something like that I'd love to hear how it turned out.

Go to Top of Page

GS
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  16:58:45  Show Profile  Visit GS's Homepage Send GS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James in the Richard Baker scroll

Reread Chapter 11 in the novel Shadowdale, GS. Nothing is ever added 'just for the sake of it'.

I will Brian, thanks. I have not read that book in years. But why am I reading that chapter?

One question that you might answer, or at least think about. Now that the Sea of Fallen Stars has been partially drained, will the surrounding environment be dryer? I am think here of the Caspian Sea which was drained by USSR (by building dams) and has had quite a few adverse effects on surrounding lands. Will, say, Turmish have more desert/steppe landscapes or will things be unchanged? How about the canal that was 'recently' built from Innarlith to the Nagaflow? Can it still be used?

Anyway, keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  17:11:17  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage  Send ShadezofDis an AOL message Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks Chance. I respect that not everyone is going to like the 4E Realms, but if you're able to use anything at all out of the article then I'm satisfied. Indeed a mini-campaign exploring old Jhaamdath ruins would be great! If you do run something like that I'd love to hear how it turned out.

Brian,

I'm curious if you thought about any changes to the Shining Plains when writing the article. While I'm not a big fan of the 4E changes I definitely enjoy your writing and your thoughts on the developments. My current campaign is probably going to be traveling through (gotta buy some horses for a ranch *g*) and any thoughts you had on the region would probably help me with some inspiration.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  20:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heya, I loved the Shining Plains article but you removed some of the Nobanion stuff there.

Could you tell us what changed from your original Nobanion write-up that it became obsolete information?

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  20:40:14  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage  Send ShadezofDis an AOL message Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

Heya, I loved the Shining Plains article but you removed some of the Nobanion stuff there.

I didn't see anything about the Shining Plains in the article, did I miss something or are you confusing the Golden Plains with the Shining?
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1144 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  07:08:01  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant to say Shining South.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  16:05:08  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage  Send ShadezofDis an AOL message Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I meant to say Shining South.

Cool. Just makin sure.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1071 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  17:16:43  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Shining South is definitely going through some upheaval during the Spellplague (if you’re planning on transitioning your campaign from 3rd Edition to 4th I recommend you steer your characters away from this region).

The Shining Plains on the other hand will suffer much less physical chaos, but the specific changes I cannot reveal yet. I can say that neighboring Erlkazar has more prominence in 4E.

And no I cannot say anymore about Nobanion.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1071 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  17:25:51  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Time of Troubles also introduced physical chaos throughout the Realms. Case in point was the Prismatic Mountains which appeared in the novel Shadowdale. I asked that you reread Chapter 11 to show that I didn’t randomly include these glass mountains because they were ‘cool’ but because their very existence was already steeped in the lore of the setting.
quote:
Originally posted by GS
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James in the Richard Baker scroll

Reread Chapter 11 in the novel Shadowdale, GS. Nothing is ever added 'just for the sake of it'.
I will Brian, thanks. I have not read that book in years. But why am I reading that chapter?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  00:25:31  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can say that neighboring Erlkazar has more prominence in 4E.
Neat.

Though, I'm hoping it doesn't deviant too much from what Steven Schend earlier established for the region. Granted, there's very little on Erlkazar published officially, but there were some very curious and intriguing threads coming up in that older material. I'd like to see them have some acknowledgment in future Realmslore -- to see how they shaped Erlkazar into the realm it is in 1479 DR.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Mar 2008 00:26:43
Go to Top of Page

GS
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  03:00:55  Show Profile  Visit GS's Homepage Send GS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I asked that you reread Chapter 11 to show that I didn’t randomly include these glass mountains because they were ‘cool’ but because their very existence was already steeped in the lore of the setting.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, but when I said "adding for the sake of it" I did not mean that game designers added stuff because they thought it was 'cool', but rather that they 'were forced to (ok maybe not)' or 'thought it would generate sales (which of course they must)' when they added new monsters and prestige classes to each new supplement. Don't get me wrong, I think that each new addition was well thought through and so on, but surely the Umpteenth dragon/monster/class/spell had some diminishing returns to them?

I admit that I didn't know that there were prismatic mountains in the Realms. I don't, unfortunately, own all the accessories from second and first edition. I didn't even know that the Realms were a D&D 'invention' until about 6-7 years after I first started to read the novels. Getting back to the point: I started buying accessories at the end of 2E and have bought everything that 3E has published. But I felt that, as the newer supplements were published, that the focus shifted away from lore and adventure hook towards 'classes and monsters'. I am thinking, in particular, of Champions of Ruin/Valour and Dragons of Faerun.

I have been writing the 'script' of many a D&D session for almost ten years, and the thing that I have needed the most from the accessory books is lore. Whether it is about the landscape, cities, people or whatever, I do not care. True, I can invent most of it myself, and often I have. Yet no one creates better Realms lore then you guys. That is why I feel so, so... something!... when the newer books had more pages devoted to classes/spells/monsters/adventure rather than the lore.

Again, I understand that these books must generate sales (right?), and I respect that. You guys also know better than I what most people want from these books. My earlier post was, in a way, merely a remark of what I, myself, want, or don't want, from the accessories, nothing more.

Oh well, I think that you guys (guys includes women!) are doing a marvelous job and all the 'flak' that you are getting is, mostly (hehe), unjustified. The direction that you have taken the Realms is unexpected, but I am intrigued to say the least.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  03:13:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GS
I didn't even know that the Realms were a D&D 'invention' until about 6-7 years after I first started to read the novels.

Not to detract from your main point, but I would like to point out that the FR was a story setting before it was a game setting. Ed Greenwood first wrote about the Realms back in 1967, before there even was a D&D.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

GS
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  03:19:04  Show Profile  Visit GS's Homepage Send GS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Not to detract from your main point, but I would like to point out that the FR was a story setting before it was a game setting. Ed Greenwood first wrote about the Realms back in 1967, before there even was a D&D.

Yes, Rinonalyrna, you are right, thank you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000