Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Dragonlance Movie
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2008 :  19:44:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by riot the outsider

Exlessed it wasn't way off the story like beowulf was gees, people who made that movie read the peom and stop making movies so that they might please everyone. Make it the way the fans would really want it. Who cares if it doesn't make as much money as you think it should, you lose more money when you make it to suit ever buyer or movie going fan.Cause real fans turn there backs on it.Sorry I got off topic. The rest of the series should be just as good as this if not better if they leared there lessonfrom this one.

I have to disagree with you. There's a lot more money to be made from appealing to the least common denominator, as opposed to the fans. And that's because there are orders of magnitude more people in the LCD category than there is in the fan category. Why try to appeal to 5 million (which is prolly a generous guesstimate) when you can shoot for 50 or 100 million?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2008 :  23:42:30  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I know of how the market works but I was just saying it would be nice to have a movie come out that appeals towards just the fans I think we can argee there I'm sure. Also if someone found my post to out of line that was not my intenion.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Edited by - riot the outsider on 26 Mar 2008 04:30:20
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  05:10:48  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, it's no secret that I'm a massive fan of Dragonlance. Have been for years and likely will be for years. Like many other fans, I'd hoped beyond hope that a Dragonlance movie would be made some day, and was thrilled when it first came to light that it would indeed be coming into existence.

Now being an uber-fan of the series, I probably had somewhat ridiculously high expectations. I also realise that you can't please everyone, and particularly old-school fans will always have gripes about various things in any product released, irrespective of the format. With all of this in mind, I sat down and watched the film from start to finish.

It followed the basic premise of the storyline in DoAT. That's one positive. Sure... seeing Elistan starting to get his freak on with Laurana at the end was disturbing... but yes, the film did follow the basic premise. It skipped lots of great stuff, but one could argue that like any adaptation this was necessary... and since when did Onyx in humanoid form have wings and look like a half-human/half-draconian... but I can forgive that. Keifer Sutherland was outstanding as the voice of Raistlin, he really hit that one home.

But the animation was atrocious. A sad combination of 3D and 2D did make the film extremely hard to watch, even for me. I appreciate that there was minimal budget, but I would've preferred an entirely 2d 80s He-man cartoon, instead of the blended 2D/3D stuff they created. I have the deepest amount of respect for Weis & Hickman, and am glad a film was made. If nothing else, I only hope that it will generate more interest in the setting, therefore bigger budgets so that a vastly improved film could be made. Hell, a live action film would be so much better, but the money and interest needs to be there.

So I'm sorry to say that the film was bordering on outright terrible, was hard to watch, and only hope that it can do something positive for the series in promoting Dragonlance and meaning a much better release can be done later down the track.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2008 :  06:24:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye Lady Kazandra...better the animations of the old Dungeons and Dragons TV cartoon than the mix of 2d and 3d...it made me cringe. My wife, so in love with Dragonlance she can hardly stop reading the novels...well, she fell asleep in total boredom just because of the animations making her close her eyes and just listen to the movie.

But, as you say, Lord of the Rings started with cartoon animations before the more recent trilogy.

We have hope yet...in years to come.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

riot the outsider
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2008 :  04:29:07  Show Profile Send riot the outsider a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree we you both.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do. http://s13.gladiatus.com/game/c.php?uid=67846

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000