Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Wise words from Ed, regarding 4e FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  09:08:52  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

PS: Alaundo: it's The ORC King, not The ORK King. This isn't Warhammer 40000.

Well met

GACK! That's twice i've done that Still, with Apocalypse looming, my mind is in turmoil

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  10:06:28  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
Something that struck me in the Hooded One's post ...

quote:
Ed is remaining true to his promise to “be here” for scribes, but warns that he just can’t answer as freely as he might, not just because of NDAs and not wanting to damage the process of unfolding the Realms, but because so much just isn’t known yet (by him, and presumably by most others) about specifics of the 4e Realms.

... and many other remarks. We speak about the 4E and its changes and what WotC will do. But honestly, given that many books about the Realms have been written by the very same designers - who is actually "dictating" the way the Realms will go? Who is/are this ominous "WotC" who take these decisions. No, I do not like to know who has to shoulder the "blame", but I wonder about who is actually making decisions about the FRs future - if designers like Ed don't know it yet. Who's behind the Spellplague, the extermination of the drow pantheon, the slaying of dwarven gods et al?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 19 Sep 2007 15:35:48
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  16:47:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
EDIT: I found it elsewhere, so the following is incorrect -

Yesterday Rich Baker answered that question, and today the entire thread is missing off the WotC site!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Sep 2007 16:53:38
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  16:51:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Found it -

quote:
Originally posted by Rich Baker at WotC forums

Sorry for the delay, it's been a busy week!

Our manpower schedule is currently a little bit in flux, so this is not an exhaustive list: Bruce Cordell and Rob Heinsoo will be doing some work on the FRCS, as well as relative newcomers Chris Simms and Logan Bonner. (We're gang-tackling projects much more than we used to.) I expect that we'll get some of the old outside-WotC hands involved too.

As it turns out, I'm actually hands-off on this one; I'm committed to work on other projects. But I'm one of the folks who worked on the initial revision guide, which we put together almost two years ago. (Bruce Cordell and book editor Phil Athans were the other two guys on that team.)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  16:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yesterday Rich Baker answered that question, and today the entire thread is missing off the WotC site!

It was three guys I never heard of, and Bruce Cordell writing the 4e FRCS.

This is definately a cover up and they don't want us knowing because personal attacks would more than likely occur.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

KaeYoss
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2007 :  20:56:03  Show Profile  Visit KaeYoss's Homepage Send KaeYoss a Private Message
Reading what Ed wrote changed my opinion of the situation a bit: Now I might look at the 4e Realms before deciding, but the things we know still seem too much for me.

Right now I think it's quite unlikely that I'll pick up any 4e Realms book, including novels. Not impossible, but they would probably have to do something worthy of a Nobel Price to make me like the Realms with the changes we know about.

Of course, as Ed says, the things we've heard might just be subjective fiction, the stuff the loudest voice shouted out.

------------------------
Thoughts in Kae'Yoss
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  05:18:11  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
While reading the GHotR I was struck by something while reading Ed's "Salute to the Steel Regent."

"What mattered our lives now? when our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."

Though the young bard Elender Stormfall of Suzail was commenting on the feelings of Cormyrians in the wake of the death of Azoun IV, he could have just as well been commenting on my feelings about the Realms right now. But just as Alusair and Caladnei were able to fill the shoes of Azoun and Vangerdahast as the protectors and leaders of Cormyr, so too will new heroes rise to champion the Realms and new villians rise to threaten them. With Ed's guidance, I have no reason to believe these new heroes and villians will be any less wondrous than those I have come to know and love.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  06:12:55  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Ed's post nearly reduced me to tears, but it was because it's the last farewell to a setting I've loved most of my life.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2007 :  09:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
As I said initially, this is not about bashing those "at fault" for events on the horizon. Rather on the contrary. If I know that those who cared for the Realms this past decade, I know we are in "safe hands", even if unwanted events like the deicide in the drow and dwarven panthei as well as the Spellplague happens by. Yet, if we get told that "WotC" is not exactly made up of those mentioned beforehand, I would be worried. Not that I can judge any of those nameless folk, but ... well, you know.

As for deities ... there surely cannot be a decent argument of having a need for less deities. The Romans and Celts on their haydays had about 240 and 300+ deities to choose from respectively, so plenty is not that bad at all. Obviously, one does not need to detail each and everyone, yet, the F&A series managed to do that nicely enough - and thus providing all but a rule change and a short brush up to current events. You see, I cannot argue sensibly for less deities, but publish tons of new feats and spells in each and every new sourcebook. What have we now, 1,000* arcane spells alone?

(Don't believe this? Well, the PHB features just 372 Sor/Wiz arcane spells alone ...)

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 20 Sep 2007 10:11:06
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  01:38:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

As for deities ... there surely cannot be a decent argument of having a need for less deities. The Romans and Celts on their haydays had about 240 and 300+ deities to choose from respectively, so plenty is not that bad at all. Obviously, one does not need to detail each and everyone, yet, the F&A series managed to do that nicely enough - and thus providing all but a rule change and a short brush up to current events. You see, I cannot argue sensibly for less deities, but publish tons of new feats and spells in each and every new sourcebook. What have we now, 1,000* arcane spells alone?

(Don't believe this? Well, the PHB features just 372 Sor/Wiz arcane spells alone ...)

Yes, and a large number of deities isn't exactly exclusive to the Realms--just look at the (real, complete) Greyhawk pantheon. I don't understand what the rationale for "trimming the pantheon" would be. It's needlessly ripping away interesting aspects of the setting--the things that help it come alive.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 21 Sep 2007 01:39:16
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  04:19:01  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
quote:

I don't understand what the rationale for "trimming the pantheon" would be. It's needlessly ripping away interesting aspects of the setting--the things that help it come alive.

For my group having a vast selection of deities to choose from has in many ways kept the game fresh over the years. For any character concept you can come up with, there's likely a deity that will fit the bill, so to speak. For instance, I play fighters quite often, and I can have nearly identical feat, skill, race, and even weapon selections for each character and yet they can all be dramatically different characters for roleplaying purposes simply due to deity selection.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  07:08:20  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
I sort of like the idea that many of the lesser gods have been destroyed or simply ceased to be. Why you ask?

Well, when you play the same character for literally decades, it would be nice to be able to work them into the Pantheon! It will be GREAT to see a character or two from our home game being able to step in and become a new deity in the Realms because now there will be room.

What better way to finally retire a character than role-play that last great adventure: To Become a God.

Will be kinda cool. Everyone can have their old characters become new gods...just an idea.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  07:32:34  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
I would prefer more gods, as in nature spirits and local demi-gods, in aditon to a much higher degree of variant names and religious practises for gods according to culture. Doesn't seem likely for the moment.

As for characters becoming gods; it is OK for individual campaigns, but it is a bit of a problem when the "cleansing" takes place in the so-called Canon. Known World/Mystara was better suited for that kind of deification and religious chaos.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  07:46:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
Religious Chaos?

I've only seen so much religious chaos in Krynn....

FR has had so many gods come and go lately with portfolio changes that it is nearly too troublesome to bother keeping up with!

At any rate, I was specifically talking about individual home games having the opportunity to have their old characters step into new positions in the Pantheon.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  08:02:43  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message
I knew what you meant, and I did not mean what I said as a critique, a home-campaign will always live its own life. But changes to the gods and lands always flow more smoothly when they are done for group/individual reasons and tastes, not by the publishers.

As for the portfolio changes; that's my point. It becomes a mess and a soap-opera when changes are done like this with each edition, Mystara was built around the idea of characters being able to attain immortal status, and thereby making such changes easier.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2007 :  23:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

For my group having a vast selection of deities to choose from has in many ways kept the game fresh over the years. For any character concept you can come up with, there's likely a deity that will fit the bill, so to speak. For instance, I play fighters quite often, and I can have nearly identical feat, skill, race, and even weapon selections for each character and yet they can all be dramatically different characters for roleplaying purposes simply due to deity selection.

Yes, exactly. I've had a lot of fun over the years deciding which of the many deities in the Realms would be best suited to each of my characters. There are plenty that I haven't even touched yet.

So I don't understand why WotC is now trimming the number of gods down.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 21 Sep 2007 23:48:43
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  03:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
quote:

Yes, exactly. I've had a lot of fun over the years deciding which of the many deities in the Realms would be best suited to each of my characters. There are plenty that I haven't even touched yet.

I don't like it, but it is likely tied into the "streamlining" that seems to be a common denominator with many of the rules changes I've seen so far.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  03:52:33  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message
quote:

Probably because a lot of non-FR-fans are very verbal about how there are "too many" deities? One thing that has become very clear to me, esp. recently, is that D&D players who don't like FR for whatever reason are very verbal, and I think it has influenced the WotC design team a lot.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  03:56:38  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

quote:

Probably because a lot of non-FR-fans are very verbal about how there are "too many" deities? One thing that has become very clear to me, esp. recently, is that D&D players who don't like FR for whatever reason are very verbal, and I think it has influenced the WotC design team a lot.

Honestly, nearly everything that seems to be changing seems to be the result of tailoring the setting to fit the tastes of people that don't like it currently, i.e. not people that play in it that have issues, but rather people that don't use the setting and have complaints.

I wonder sometimes if the 2nd edition "Realms is Core" mindset essentially kind of convinced people that otherwise wouldn't have commented much on a setting they don't use that they have free reign to try and decide what should and shouldn't be in the setting.

Or maybe its just because its the "top" setting, so its the most logical target. At any rate, I'm still a wee bit skeptical that these changes will really bring in long term fans, although it may get them to pick up the FRCS next year.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  03:57:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message
Who knows what voices are the ones motivating WotC to delete so many gods at once (it really *could* be their own idea--streamlining). But if they really are paying heed to the loudest NON-fans of the setting out there...well, that obviously seems silly and illogical to me!

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 22 Sep 2007 03:58:15
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  03:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message
Back on the topic of character conversion, today's playtest report kind of eased my mind a bit, particularly:
"It’s probably inevitable that early on, other gaming groups are going to have to “reinterpret” their characters rather than slavishly “convert” them. There’s just no way that on release day, we’ll have the same amount of character options that it took us eight years to write in Third Edition."

This made much more sense to me than the blanket statement that you simply can't convert your characters.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  09:41:47  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message
Ed, can I take your hand in "imaginary" marriage? As usual, your calm and measured responses have managed to put to rest what little doubts I had about some of the coming changes with 4E FR. Thank you.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 22 Sep 2007 09:42:39
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  19:28:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I haven't yet noticed this elsewhere at CK yet, but I felt that it was appropriate to this thread-

quote:
Originallyposted by WotC_RichBaker
I'm pleased to report that Ed Greenwood will be able to contribute about 50,000 words to the 4th Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide.

(I wanted to say so earlier, but I had to wait and see if we could work out the scheduling questions. Ed's a busy guy and highly in demand for Forgotten Realms novels as well as game product.)

I don't know about you folks, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what Ed comes up with!

Some GOOD news is trickling in, after all....

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  19:33:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I haven't yet noticed this elsewhere at CK yet, but I felt that it was appropriate to this thread-

quote:
I'm pleased to report that Ed Greenwood will be able to contribute about 50,000 words to the 4th Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide.

(I wanted to say so earlier, but I had to wait and see if we could work out the scheduling questions. Ed's a busy guy and highly in demand for Forgotten Realms novels as well as game product.)

I don't know about you folks, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what Ed comes up with!

Some GOOD news is trickling in, after all....

Now I can do what you did to me. :)

It was posted in my 4e FR thread.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  19:59:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
The more folks read that Ed is on board, the better.

Sorry, this was the first thread I hit today... should have checked others first.

Edited by - Markustay on 22 Sep 2007 19:59:52
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  23:56:41  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message
quote:

Who knows what voices are the ones motivating WotC to delete so many gods at once (it really *could* be their own idea--streamlining). But if they really are paying heed to the loudest NON-fans of the setting out there...well, that obviously seems silly and illogical to me!

I suspect there are two reasons for these divine deaths: streamlining the Pantheon as you noted, and also some mechanical reason concerning the cleric class (clerical 'traditions' similar to those of the wizards', perhaps?). I was wondering why Rich said that they'd like to see more deities descending to the ranks of the demipowers?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  00:14:20  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

quote:

I suspect there are two reasons for these divine deaths: streamlining the Pantheon as you noted, and also some mechanical reason concerning the cleric class (clerical 'traditions' similar to those of the wizards', perhaps?). I was wondering why Rich said that they'd like to see more deities descending to the ranks of the demipowers?

From some of the wording that I gathered from the Demons and Devils article on WOTC's site, I thought that outer planes might be redefined as a planar domain maintained by a Greater God, meaning that you don't want other greater gods in the same plane, and the plane has to have a Greater God to exist. If I'm right, it syncs up with the whole "lesser god's domains don't survive the Spellplague" thing.

And if I'm right its another mechanical thing that has to do with "generic" D&D that somehow has to be retrofitted onto the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  00:42:19  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan
As for deities ... there surely cannot be a decent argument of having a need for less deities.
When I hear 'too many', of course I think 'too many for what?'

Most of the people who say this mean nothing more than 'I need fewer gods for my campaign, so they shouldn't be in the published setting either', which is self-evidently foolish when stated outright.

The other factor was also a concern of Wizards' back in 2000 (this from Dragon #276):
quote:
With twelve busy years worth of adventures, stories, and campaign expansions -- not to mention magazine articles -- the Realms is deep and rich, a place where you can find almost any environment you desire. That depth can seem intimidating, especially to new players who discovered the setting after it had accumulated enough source material to fill a library.
This intimidation has a rational part -- certain workings of the Realms are nontrivial to get to grips with but essential if you want to run it authentically -- and an irrational part -- sheer conceptual daunt. 'Look at the size of that pile of books that I haven't read!'

The gods worry is in the irrational part, as you really don't need to know about more than a dozen gods to run any area in the Realms 95% authentically, given that you want to.

Of course, no one suggests simplifying Tolkien's Arda because it's theologically difficult. Will the Realms be treated as a secondary world, or as an accessory for D&D and a backdrop for bestselling novel characters?
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  09:37:47  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message
NB: Designers, do you copy?

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Edited by - Zanan on 26 Sep 2007 09:38:19
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2007 :  13:01:01  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message
quote:

Meh... (somebody failed Upbeat 101. )

Well having switched over from 2nd to 3rd, I can honestly say I welcomed the changes last time. The great wheel? oh well, didn't see how they all had to link in anyway. The map? *Sigh* OK, for expediency sake... But what we've heard so far, I have to say I feel more disappointment than any underlying enthusiam.

I've seen all this before, (Ravenloft, Battletech, etc.) And usually when the smoke has cleared things haven't been as bad as I dreaded. Here however, I'm just not getting the usual It'll be OK - you wait and see feeling.

I get the feeling that - like BT warped into MW:DA - We're not only getting a new edition but a 'shake up'; an almost-reset to open the setting up to new players. It doesn't suprise me and in someways, it pleases me, as it at least means the Realms is still regarded as a valuable setting by WotC, (so it'll definetly be around for a while).

But underneath, I just don't get the feeling that 'the realms' will remain 'the Realms' this time around. Se la vie.

Edit: (2nd to 3rd) makes more sense now.

Edited by - BlackAce on 27 Sep 2007 13:17:01
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000