Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Abbreviations and Acronyms (2nd edition)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7357 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  05:46:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd always thought RSE had more ambiguity.

Realms Shaking Event is commonly assumed. Things got shaken up but the Realms continues largely intact.
Realms Shattering Event is stronger, it conveys dismay or disapproval or disgust. Things got broken, the Realms we used to know are lost and ruined.
Realms Shaping Event is more neutral. Things got changed, the Realms evolves into something different.

The intended meaning is usually obvious from the context. The first RSE is always rough, but after you've seen enough craters and corpses litter the lore you become less passionate about the downsides, more able to accept or reject canon barrage for what it is.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2249 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  10:25:03  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning all,

BBEG: Big Bad Evil Guy

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
475 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  10:58:46  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know SoS, SoL and SoD were already listed, but in context of debuffing and offensive spells: Save Or Suck, Save or Lose and Save or Die
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
475 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  11:05:09  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KoS (incontext):

King of Smack: a melee build emphasizing natural weapons/unarmed strikes that typically uses level in Psychic Warrior

Kill on Sight: policy adopted by devotees of Cyric and Mystra toward each other
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
475 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  11:10:37  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OoTA: Out of The Abyss
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2249 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  17:10:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning all,

DotMM: Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
475 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  23:42:57  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DPS: Damage Per Second
One character metric used to measure effectiveness in combat that factors damage rate of character.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7357 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2020 :  09:04:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DPS relates more to real-time combat simulation, particularly in video games.

I can't recall it ever being part of the jargon in AD&D 2E rules. It would be a meaningless abstraction. Especially since damage output "per second" (or at least damage output per "combat round") largely depends on unpredictable variables such as initiative and to-hit parameters influenced by opponents.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2249 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2020 :  06:52:45  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good evening all,

SOYNT Start Of Your Next Turn

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34473 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2020 :  18:11:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son is nine, and plays a lot of a game called Roblox... The other day, he said something about AFK. So I asked -- and while he understood the gist of what it meant, he didn't know the actual acronym.

Once I explained it, he found the acronym amusing, for some reason.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4542 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2020 :  18:46:43  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I can invent or guess other works then Away From Keyboard if just seeing the letters then not seeing a person post for a while. Most of the time I use BRB.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2249 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2020 :  22:21:34  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

Ah, I love hearing stories of children getting into their gaming universe! My son is two and a half, and loves playing around my with my backgammon board because he see's me and my father playing it (my dad likes old school Avalon Hill wargames a lot, but not D&D and all that), but I cannot wait to get him into D&D and more!

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2021 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000