Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Abbreviations and Acronyms (2nd edition)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2008 :  20:15:09  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
updated about FRCG.

IIRC (as "If I recall Correctly")was already in the list.

Thanks for helping Daviot.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2009 :  18:31:56  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The simple "P" in 2nd ed stands for "Priest", but ever since the Faiths & Avatars (F&A) series was out it changed to "specialty priest", the cleric/priest class introduced in those books. Quite a number of the specialty priest classes were later converted to PrC, e.g. Arachne (of Lolth), Strifeleader (of Cyric), Sword Dancer (or Eilistraee) et al.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 25 Jan 2009 18:32:56
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2009 :  20:46:59  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks Zanan. The list is updated.
But your post is bringing two other acronyms that I cannot explain : e.g. and al.

Thanks for yout contribution.

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Wrigs13
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
201 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  11:59:34  Show Profile  Visit Wrigs13's Homepage Send Wrigs13 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure its in general use yet but we use in reference to 4e:

WDW - Wizards Did What?

Do not try to understand the 4th edition. Thats impossible. Instead...only try to realise the truth. There is no 4th edition.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  15:23:33  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

two other acronyms that I cannot explain : e.g. and al.

e.g. from the Latin, exempli gratia, which means 'for example' (pour example*?). Not to be confused with i.e., id est, 'that is' (c'est?*).

et al. is from et alii, which means 'and others' (et les autres*).

Examples of usage:

The Forgotten Realms setting involves a number of humanoid races, e.g. elves, dwarves, etc. The main player race is familiar to all players, i.e. humans. The authors of the setting are Ed Greenwood et al.

* - apologies for my French, but I hope that it helps.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  16:08:54  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

two other acronyms that I cannot explain : e.g. and al.

e.g. from the Latin, exempli gratia, which means 'for example' (pour example*?). Not to be confused with i.e., id est, 'that is' (c'est?*).

et al. is from et alii, which means 'and others' (et les autres*).

Examples of usage:

The Forgotten Realms setting involves a number of humanoid races, e.g. elves, dwarves, etc. The main player race is familiar to all players, i.e. humans. The authors of the setting are Ed Greenwood et al.

* - apologies for my French, but I hope that it helps.

Wow. I've been using i.e. wrong all these years.

And not even the English professors called me on it... Thanks Kia!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  19:00:20  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Wow. I've been using i.e. wrong all these years.

And not even the English professors called me on it... Thanks Kia!

I'm allowed to ask 'What are they teaching them in schools these days?'

One of the things I have to do in my real life is help students write scientific papers, which must be in English. I have consequently learned too much about English. I recently had to explain to a Chinese man the use of articles and verbal nouns. Which was a bit of a challenge, but we both found the conversation worthwhile.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2009 :  18:45:34  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NIMR Not In My Realms seems to be gaining enough popularity it should be included

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2009 :  00:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

NIMR Not In My Realms seems to be gaining enough popularity it should be included

Seconded!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2009 :  12:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I added e.g., al. and NIMR to the list.

Thanks to you Kira.
It helped me enough. Your French is quite understandable.
We just say "Par exemple". But the others were correctly written.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

sneakypetev
Acolyte

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2009 :  06:20:36  Show Profile  Visit sneakypetev's Homepage Send sneakypetev a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am fairly new to forums and I have referenced your post about 1/2 dozen times already. Thanks for all your work.

"Go for the eyes boo,go for the eyes!"- Minsc
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2009 :  12:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sneakypetev

I am fairly new to forums and I have referenced your post about 1/2 dozen times already. Thanks for all your work.

Thanks a lot sneakypetev.
Do not hesitate to write if you find another one...

Sorry for the late answer but, I'm in a too long course at work...

I miss you fellow scribes...

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  07:42:53  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The following is from "Questions for Eric L Boyd":
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

There is no answer to this one. I know that this was a 'dangling realmslore hook' (I think I'm going to start using 'DRH') that Eric left behind.
<snip>

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

<snip>We should add "DRH" (Dangling Realmslore Hook) to a list of common CK abbreviations, if such a thing exists... <snip>

And then The Sage was kind enough to direct me to this list, so here I am...
No, Rinonalyrna, RSE is not already on the list; I was surprised too. I also have some alternate definitions for RSE for you, and I just decided to compile them all here for Fillow's ease of addition:
1) Realms Shaking Event (standard);
2) Realms Shattering Event (for those who really dislike the RSE in question);
3) Really Silly Event (for those who think a given event was (a) pointless, (b) meaningless, and/or (c) too minor to have been given the exposure it got);
4) Rum Swigging Event (for those who think a given event is more palatable with a stiff drink in hand); and/or
5) Rear Slapping Event (for those who think an event resembles (and/or deserves) a good spanking).

If anyone has any more, please share them, even if they're sillier than these. RSE's are much more fun when you add some silliness to the whole concept.

My 742nd post was made at 7:42 CK time... spooky...

Late edit: I noticed I was missing a parenthesis... and I used to be a programmer in a wide variety of languages IRL, so I notice things like that... eventually.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 19 Aug 2009 16:53:32
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2009 :  09:25:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only if THO is doing the Rear Slapping!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  13:59:55  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a question/add that I haven't seen and still don't fully understand. What are 'fluff' and 'crunch'? I've never understood those two, really.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  14:30:36  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Here's a question/add that I haven't seen and still don't fully understand. What are 'fluff' and 'crunch'? I've never understood those two, really.

They're terms that seem to have cropped up in the last few years. Fluff means things like story line, background and setting. Crunch refers to the rules and game mechanics.

Personally, I think both terms are derisory and I don't use them.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  14:45:25  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

They're terms that seem to have cropped up in the last few years. Fluff means things like story line, background and setting. Crunch refers to the rules and game mechanics.

Personally, I think both terms are derisory and I don't use them.

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate the information.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  15:01:32  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran NobleheartThank you so much! I truly appreciate the information.

You're very welcome.

I'm glad to have been of help.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 19 Aug 2009 15:02:01
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  01:49:01  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RSE: REaly Stupid Endeavour: for those who think the time envolved was not worth the effort took to be worth it

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  23:19:29  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good afternoon all,

LMoP Lost Mines of Phandelver

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  05:46:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd always thought RSE had more ambiguity.

Realms Shaking Event is commonly assumed. Things got shaken up but the Realms continues largely intact.
Realms Shattering Event is stronger, it conveys dismay or disapproval or disgust. Things got broken, the Realms we used to know are lost and ruined.
Realms Shaping Event is more neutral. Things got changed, the Realms evolves into something different.

The intended meaning is usually obvious from the context. The first RSE is always rough, but after you've seen enough craters and corpses litter the lore you become less passionate about the downsides, more able to accept or reject canon barrage for what it is.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  10:25:03  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning all,

BBEG: Big Bad Evil Guy

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  10:58:46  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know SoS, SoL and SoD were already listed, but in context of debuffing and offensive spells: Save Or Suck, Save or Lose and Save or Die
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  11:05:09  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
KoS (incontext):

King of Smack: a melee build emphasizing natural weapons/unarmed strikes that typically uses level in Psychic Warrior

Kill on Sight: policy adopted by devotees of Cyric and Mystra toward each other
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  11:10:37  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OoTA: Out of The Abyss
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  17:10:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good morning all,

DotMM: Dungeon of the Mad Mage.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Delnyn
Senior Scribe

USA
883 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2020 :  23:42:57  Show Profile Send Delnyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DPS: Damage Per Second
One character metric used to measure effectiveness in combat that factors damage rate of character.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2020 :  09:04:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DPS relates more to real-time combat simulation, particularly in video games.

I can't recall it ever being part of the jargon in AD&D 2E rules. It would be a meaningless abstraction. Especially since damage output "per second" (or at least damage output per "combat round") largely depends on unpredictable variables such as initiative and to-hit parameters influenced by opponents.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2020 :  06:52:45  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good evening all,

SOYNT Start Of Your Next Turn

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2020 :  18:11:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My son is nine, and plays a lot of a game called Roblox... The other day, he said something about AFK. So I asked -- and while he understood the gist of what it meant, he didn't know the actual acronym.

Once I explained it, he found the acronym amusing, for some reason.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000