Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Shadowstorm: Chapters 1 - 4
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  09:30:00  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Shadowstorm (Book 2 of The Twilight War trilogy), by Paul S Kemp. Please discuss chapters 1 - 4 herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  21:00:53  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read the first 18 pages of this tome and I am absolutely blown away. The way Paul wrote Mephistopheles is excellent. He just oozes power, arrogance, and malevolence. Of course Cale and Riven's determination to fight for Magadon knowing full well that they will die if they do, was a perfect reflection of their characters. I can't wait to dig deeper into this one.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Edited by - Xysma on 31 Aug 2007 02:40:18
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  21:11:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, Meph is effectively scary in this book. I felt so sorry for poor Magadon. I will say seeing him in this book is especially fun because I've played the Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark computer RPG and the PC has run-ins with Meph in that game...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2007 :  13:54:10  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The "Meph scene" was the inspiration behind the occasional shift to first person when taking Magadon's POV. As I completed Shadowbred and was pondering Shadowstorm, I imagined this scene and made my case to my editor that first person seemed perfect for it. He agreed, but told me to incorporate first person scenes into Shadowbred (at that point, all in third person), lest it stick out like a sore thumb in Shadowstorm.

So, Mephistopheles is behind all of the first person Magadon scenes. Damned diabolical influence.

Anyway, writing Meph was a hell () of a lot of fun.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2007 :  05:12:57  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ever since I saw him in the 1st edition MM II Mephistopheles has been my favorite archdevil. There is something about the canny second in command that just commands a bit more personality than being the "top dog" (no offense to Riven).

A lot going on here, but I have to say, I really loved the incorporation of the Risen Sun heresy into what is going on with the Abbey of the Order of the Aster. Its a really interesting subplot, and I love the fact that there is this confluence of events and all of them have some kind of repercussion on what is going on in the series.

Yeah, I'm a sap, but I really liked knowing about Abelar's son and how he regarded him, and I especially appreciated the emotional trigger that the image of Lathander with the child caused in him. I guess in a way, it really cements to me what Abelar is about to know how he feels about his son.

I enjoyed Rivalen in the first book, but its kind of strange, but the more mistakes that Tamlin makes, the more I start to like him. Maybe its just that at least he is doing something instead of reacting to the stimuli around him, and perhaps a bit of it has to do with the fact that he is completely beyond any situation that his father was in. He may still be dealing with his father's specter, and he may still be really screwing up, but I hate characters that can't function more than ones that are flawed. I'll be interested to see where Tamlin goes from here. And yes, I realize he is being manipulated, but he still feels like he is more proactive here. Maybe its just me.

I absolutely love the fact that Mirabeta has brought in the Cult of the Dragon as her allies to help counter the Shadovar. It just keeps getting more twisted, and I love it.

And while I enjoyed their parts in the book, I have to say, I almost (but not quite) forgot all about Cale and company with everything else going on.
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2007 :  09:42:35  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yippie, the schism in Lathander's church has finally been mentioned in a novel! A very interesting book and I'm really tempted to read it at work.. but then, who's going to do the work for me?

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

Edited by - Braveheart on 05 Sep 2007 09:43:01
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  19:24:17  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, great work...again.
The scene when Meph tore Mags in two was stunning. Never read such lines in a book, fear began to rise in me. When I would stand before Meph I would run....run.....run.....
You`re a great author, one of my favorites.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  19:55:40  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

Paul, great work...again.
The scene when Meph tore Mags in two was stunning. Never read such lines in a book, fear began to rise in me. When I would stand before Meph I would run....run.....run.....

That's good to hear, Lameth (that you enjoyed it, that is; not the running part, though I guess that's good, too ). Anyway, I hope you enjoy the rest of the ride.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  22:38:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR
I enjoyed Rivalen in the first book, but its kind of strange, but the more mistakes that Tamlin makes, the more I start to like him. Maybe its just that at least he is doing something instead of reacting to the stimuli around him, and perhaps a bit of it has to do with the fact that he is completely beyond any situation that his father was in. He may still be dealing with his father's specter, and he may still be really screwing up, but I hate characters that can't function more than ones that are flawed. I'll be interested to see where Tamlin goes from here. And yes, I realize he is being manipulated, but he still feels like he is more proactive here. Maybe its just me.

You might be right. But is he more proactive as a leader, or does he just seem that way because he's being subtlely "pushed" to make decisions? He is proactive in the sense that he's delving into knowledge about the Shadovar all by himself, and he seems to be the one who is pressing Rivalen into teaching him more...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  02:51:56  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually didn't think he was being pushed so much as led. I think Tamlin is over-eager to get out of his father's "shadow", that all Rivalen is doing is dangling a carrot.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  03:43:17  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I actually didn't think he was being pushed so much as led. I think Tamlin is over-eager to get out of his father's "shadow", that all Rivalen is doing is dangling a carrot.

On further thought I think I agree...

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  15:24:54  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

On further thought I think I agree...

Glad I could be of service Milady

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

GMJAh
Acolyte

Finland
5 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2007 :  02:23:55  Show Profile  Visit GMJAh's Homepage Send GMJAh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same as with the Shadowbred, i just cant put this book down once i've started it (i actually put aside the Unclean, which was next in line for me, just before i got my hands on this one).

'Mister Cale' was a refreshing new kind of 'hero' for me in the Shadows Witness, and during the EC trilogy, i was delighted to see that the main concept of the character(s) was so well maintained, even as the events around the books took a whole new caliber. There was no 'forced change' on any of the main chars, but only evolving and deepening as personalities.

In this regard, reading the Shadowbred and now Shadowstorm, has the feel of 'ah yes, this is exactly where i left off in the previous series .. '

Now, about the plot itself so far .. What the Shadovar are doing with the Sharrans, my humble opinion is that somehow it all sounds a bit too easy; manipulating Mirabeta mostly by her niece when she should be a sound minded and shrewd player in politics herself and Tamlin not giving more thought to the consequences with his alliance with the Shadovar .. Somehow it just feels to me that tearing a realm into a civil war should be a bit more difficult than that.

Part from that, outstanding work from Mr. Kemp, as always.

Edited by - GMJAh on 22 Sep 2007 20:16:45
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2007 :  14:56:01  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GMJAh

Now, about the plot itself so far .. What the Shadovar are doing with the Sharrans, my humble opinion is that somehow it all sounds a bit too easy; manipulating Mirabeta mostly by her niece when she should be a sound minded and shrewd player in politics herself and Tamlin not giving more thought to the consequences with his alliance with the Shadovar .

See, I think Mirabeta's shrewdness is what works against her here. She's convinced that she's just seizing an opportunity and has long trusted Elyril.

As for Tamlin, well...he's never been particularly farsighted. He also perceives little choice.

All that aside, I'm glad you're enjoying the novel.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2007 :  04:48:30  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:
Originally posted by GMJAh

Now, about the plot itself so far .. What the Shadovar are doing with the Sharrans, my humble opinion is that somehow it all sounds a bit too easy; manipulating Mirabeta mostly by her niece when she should be a sound minded and shrewd player in politics herself and Tamlin not giving more thought to the consequences with his alliance with the Shadovar .

See, I think Mirabeta's shrewdness is what works against her here. She's convinced that she's just seizing an opportunity and has long trusted Elyril.

As for Tamlin, well...he's never been particularly farsighted. He also perceives little choice.

All that aside, I'm glad you're enjoying the novel.

Plus it's easy to manipulate someone down a path they want to take. Mirabeta wanted power and saw her chance to take it. Tamlin on the other hand has always had a desperate need to get out from under his father's shadow. Although as the omniscient reader, we know he is simply substituting one "father" for another, I think he sees the power Rivalen offers as a way to become his own man.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  12:35:37  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

I just read the first 18 pages of this tome and I am absolutely blown away. The way Paul wrote Mephistopheles is excellent. He just oozes power, arrogance, and malevolence. Of course Cale and Riven's determination to fight for Magadon knowing full well that they will die if they do, was a perfect reflection of their characters. I can't wait to dig deeper into this one.

What else can I say. I second that fully! Especially the last words of the first chapter: "Don't forget that I'm a Liar!" Can't wait to read on...

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 18 Jan 2008 12:36:46
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2008 :  13:59:27  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

What else can I say. I second that fully! Especially the last words of the first chapter: "Don't forget that I'm a Liar!" Can't wait to read on...

Ergdusch,

I'm pleased to see you reading on. I hope you enjoy the rest of the novel.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2011 :  17:48:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Agreed, Meph is effectively scary in this book. I felt so sorry for poor Magadon.

I concur. I think it's the most effective and convincing way of portraying an archdevil. More effective than Ed's depiction of Asmodeus in Elminster in Hell.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000