Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 D&D 4e Discussion Scroll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 62

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  16:55:17  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now, I've find this floating in the web:

Wizards of the Coast is announcing at GenCon today that it will release the 4th Edition of its category-leading Dungeons and Dragon roleplaying game in 2008, the first full new edition in eight years. The three core books will be released next summer on a monthly schedule: Player's Handbook in May, Monster Manual in June, and Dungeon Master's Guide in July. Pricing and page counts of the new products will be consistent with current packaging. Graphics have been updated, art will be used on the covers, and interior design has been opened up to make the books less intimidating to new players.

Lead-in products, Wizards Presents: Classes and Races and Wizards Presents: Worlds and Monsters, will be released in December. An April release, Keep of the Shadowfell, will include a set of quickstart rules for 4E.

While there are changes in play (such as incorporating "epic-level play," with 30 levels instead of 20), they are described as "evolutionary" rather than "revolutionary." Other changes include new power sources, changes in resource management, and new encounter design, and more clearly defined monster roles. Changes will speed play, make the game easier to learn, and make DM-ing easier. Concepts for 4th Edition gameplay were tested in the new Star Wars RPG, and the Book of 9 Swords.

What the company does describe as revolutionary is the method of product delivery, which will incorporate online play for the first time. WotC is incorporating online components into the game through a new Website, DnDInsider.com. Each paper product will include codes to unlock digital versions on the site for a "nominal" activation fee. Players will also be able to use DnDInsider tools and access regular new content similar to the material that was previously released in Dragon and Dungeon magazines (see "Interview with Liz Schuh") for a monthly fee (as yet undetermined) greater than the old subscription price, but less than a MMORPG subscription. Magazine-style content will be added to the site three times a week and compiled into digital "issues" monthly.

Gameplay features on the Web will include a digital D&D game table, and voice chat and text messaging, to allow online players to communicate with each other. The online play is designed to "supplement, not replace" meatspace play.

The Open Gaming License will continue as it has in the past, allowing the use of the rules in other publishers' games.

Work on the new edition began in 2005, with the major work all accomplished in the last year.

D&D products released between now and the launch of 4th Edition will fall into three groups. Edition-proof products (which are mostly story) will not include mechanics that are edition-specific. Some products will be "enhanced" to 4th Edition mechanics after release through DnDInsider, and a couple of series will end as 3.5 products.

The setting for the core books are campaign neutral. Forgotten Realms will be the first campaign setting to be updated (in August 2008). Other campaign settings will be updated at a rate of one per year.

Marketing support will initially focus on migrating the existing player base, and then move to an acquisition strategy to re-activate lapsed players and acquire new ones. Midnight launch parties will be used to kick off sales of the first new release in May.

Click here for the article

P.S.: Please, some moderator could clean the link?

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  16:56:10  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, hopefully they fix some of the gimpy things they did. For instance, red wizards having to give up 3 schools of magic to get circle ability, whereas witches and halruaans don't, without there being a power given to the reds to compensate the loss in comparison (wouldn't mind the loss of the schools, if they got to cast even more spells from their specialized school.. or got increasing DC's with their school, etc...).

At the same time, I'm not interested in seeing regional books again that state X town is here and does this, and Y town is here... and there's enmity between group Z and Q. Up front come out with a crunch book doing any needed redesign of the various prestige classes. Doing it by region where 70% of the book is rehashed is just gonna push me away, no matter how much of an improvement there is to the system.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  16:56:57  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Click here for the article

P.S.: Please, some moderator could clean the link?

Well met

There, how's that?!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  16:58:46  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, master of the awesome staff!!!

Thanks for the kind hand.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  17:00:27  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am just looking forward to the first 5th edition threads on various boards.

I am happily placed in the old days of TSR still, but I am curious as to how this will affect the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  17:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

So, the time is almost upon us. I have mixed feelings about this, but then many people react negatively to change.

However, this has been just a matter of time for quite a while now and i'm still feeling pretty much the same as I did when it was merely speculation and rumour. I'm quite happy to leave my D&D purchases at 3.5 edition as I have enough 3.5 (and previous) material to last a lifetime. The thought of starting again to pick up another DMG, PHB, MM (I-V?! ) etc. etc. is just too daunting.

As to the FR material, i'm sure i'll continue with this. Even so, I can't see the justifications of another FRCS, Faiths and Pantheons, Waterdeep (yet again! As much as I love the place to a great degree, is it really necessary?).

It's for this reason I always wished that campaign specific products should be purely fluff. That way, new editions of the RPG system can be released and the campaign products remain unchanged. I can understand the business requirements for wanting to rerelease campaign material, but I believe it doesn't have the desired effect overall.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  17:06:18  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

So, the time is almost upon us. I have mixed feelings about this, but then many people react negatively to change.

However, this has been just a matter of time for quite a while now and i'm still feeling pretty much the same as I did when it was merely speculation and rumour. I'm quite happy to leave my D&D purchases at 3.5 edition as I have enough 3.5 (and previous) material to last a lifetime. The thought of starting again to pick up another DMG, PHB, MM (I-V?! ) etc. etc. is just too daunting.

As to the FR material, i'm sure i'll continue with this. Even so, I can't see the justifications of another FRCS, Faiths and Pantheons, Waterdeep (yet again! As much as I love the place to a great degree, is it really necessary?).

It's for this reason I always wished that campaign specific products should be purely fluff. That way, new editions of the RPG system can be released and the campaign products remain unchanged. I can understand the business requirements for wanting to rerelease campaign material, but I believe it doesn't have the desired effect overall.

Hey on the positive side, maybe they can change the maps back to the original again

I have a feeling that we will have an update on the North region again, but I have a slight hope that there will be some attention given to areas not covered in 3ed. A Cormyr book would be nice.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  17:09:18  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Worse still, it's going to play havoc with the uniformity and format of the 3.5e tomes on my shelf

I wonder if perhaps Brian's Grand History of the Realms is to be the new look? Full cover art with a transparent logo?

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  17:11:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Worse still, it's going to play havoc with the uniformity and format of the 3.5e tomes on my shelf

I wonder if perhaps Brian's Grand History of the Realms is to be the new look? Full cover art with a transparent logo?

In addition one can hope that Grand History of the Realmsis a sign of more lore heavy products in the near future, so as to make them compatible for both editions. Then again that is just hopeful speculations on my part.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  17:19:39  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have spent too much money to start all over, gods know there are enough classes, pc races, monsters, feats, etc, in the 3.5 material, so I will probably not continue on with 4th ed core books. But... Realms books I will certainly pick up, regardless of their edition.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  17:28:45  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will wait to see... Maybe I talk with my players, and we buy the player's handbook to take a look, and decide if we will migrate for the 4th or stay in 3.5.

Beside this, my personal feeling about this match with Xysma.

A great problem right here right now here in Brazil is the fact that our public have less than 5% of the 3.0/3.5 stuff translated to our language...

We're, now, with 2 years of wait , expecting the release of Draconomicon and Player's Guide to Faerun in our language...

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  18:46:23  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I will wait to see... Maybe I talk with my players, and we buy the player's handbook to take a look, and decide if we will migrate for the 4th or stay in 3.5.

Beside this, my personal feeling about this match with Xysma.

A great problem right here right now here in Brazil is the fact that our public have less than 5% of the 3.0/3.5 stuff translated to our language...

We're, now, with 2 years of wait , expecting the release of Draconomicon and Player's Guide to Faerun in our language...

Truth be told (and yes, that's the cynic speaking in me), you won't be seeing those books because in 2 years there will be 4th edition stuff that the publisher wants to push.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  19:02:04  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Transalations of 3.0 and 3.5 still might be offered if WotC believes there is profit in it. They also might lisense those out for a percent of sales price or other scheme allowing others to take the profit or loss risk.

This is something to wait and see. Yes they will want to sell 4th, but if non English demand is large enough they still can sell 3rd or even earlier material

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

VonRaventheDaring
Learned Scribe

USA
197 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  19:03:35  Show Profile  Visit VonRaventheDaring's Homepage Send VonRaventheDaring a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I Agree Grand Sage, I fear we might see Mysteries of the Moonseas again.... of course hopefully they will do it right, and give us more regional information. One can only hope after all....

"Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser."
---Dogma of the Church of Auppenser
Go to Top of Page

lokilokust
Seeker

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  19:09:04  Show Profile  Visit lokilokust's Homepage Send lokilokust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.icv2.com/articles/home/11123.html
some interesting bits of info.

yrs. in exile,
-s.j. bagley
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  19:18:26  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Sage sorry about my earlier thread.....just got so excited! ;)

Wow, another edition of game rules.....and the Realms to follow --naturally, I suppose.

How will this effect our FR campaigns (those of us using 3.0/3.5) I wonder?

For me, well I dunno...my group's been running since the time 3.0 came out. 4E may herald the end of our game, or a transition to a brand new campaign, with new 1st level Realms Characters and a new sandbox to play in.

All I know for sure is I love those guys and I'll game with them no matter what edition we use, for as long as they're interested.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 16 Aug 2007 19:54:33
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  19:44:51  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Honestly, I'd almost forgotten about the likelihood that this would happen some time soon. I'd seen the "Classes and Races" and "World and Monsters" thingies on amazon a couple times, but never made the connection between them and a possible edition change. Likewise "Keep on the Shadowfell", (which sounds like another megadventure, possibly Greyhawk based, though the last is guesswork.)

Like Chosen of Moradin and a lot of other people, I'm not yet sold, but, also like many others, I'm not outraged. It just doesn't seem like something that particularly effects me. I'll look at 4th edition, sure, and if I like some of the changes I might incorporate them. Might even migrate completely eventually, if I like the new rules enough. Can't see it happening, but I'm not entirely opposed to being convinced; WotC's got some great designers working for them, after all. As for rebuying all the crunch info, though, the prospect ain't appealing. I'm at this party primarily for the role-playing goodness. Now that I've got an edition of the game that works fine for me, edition changes feel like they're something that happens to somebody else. The only thing that would've really got me upset would have been a cancellation of the FR line, something which has most certainly not happened. FR products will continue and, with the release of "Grand History", there is at least a chance (though a slim one) that more of them will tend towards heavier lore content. Thus, I am happy.

While I've got no particular plans to update, (at least not right away), there is one thing about the announcement that makes me very happy, specifically the announcement that the Realms will be the first updated setting in August 2008. Another FRCS, full of general descriptions of things, doesn't thrill me especially, (though I'm looking forward to some consolidated updates to the time-line post Grand History). However, the fact that WotC is updating the Realms so early, only one month after they've finished releasing the core books, seems to me a clear indication that they still rely heavily on the Realms, and consider it one of their flagship lines.

Some of the reintegration WotC's been doing also makes more sense now. I assume that they'll update Eberron in 09, and then tackle Krynn themselves for the first time in many years in 2010, (or the other way around.)

Some of the rumblings within the FR setting itself now also make more sense. Perhaps this is another one of those big transition upheavals like the ToT, only slightly less unified in one big event.
General Spoilers:

Myth Drannor is reclaimed, Thay is in the middle of an upheaval which might just change it rather a lot, the drow deities are involved in a game potentially fatal to more than one of them, the plains are in turmoil, the Zhents and the elves of Cormanthor and allies are at war, and the Shades look to be making a major powerplay. This gives WotC an opportunity to make some big, edition-marking changes if they want to. (I sort of hope they keep them minimal, but if they don't want to, so it goes,,,) As they've done previously, they can kill some gods, stir up a couple nations, and generally leave 4th edition a mark on poor peaceloving Faerun. In particular, this gives them an opportunity to tweek the cosmology if they so desire. I'm happy with the Great Tree myself, but I know a lot of people aren't.

Wonder what's going on with the WotC website. Presumably, given the 4dVenture heading displayed above the timer, [which is currently all that appears], its got something to do with fourth edition. Ah well, we'll know in four hours or so. I was a big fan of last year's Secrets of the Realms coverage, [I was a lurker back then], so hopefully, some of the scribes attending will be able to send us some more updates from Gen Con.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  20:05:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by initiate

Some of the rumblings within the FR setting itself now also make more sense. Perhaps this is another one of those big transition upheavals like the ToT, only slightly less unified in one big event.

I'm not so sure about that... When 3E was inflicted on us, the return of Shade was a great opportunity to try to explain away at least some of the changes. Instead we got a lot of changes, even some direct contradictions, with little or no explanation beyond "It's always been that way, but no one knew about it."

The FR transition to 3E is something that still upsets a lot of people, because of the lack of in-game explanation. With that in mind, and the continuing attitude of "attract new fans, and don't worry about existing ones", I'm not confident that they'll give us any kind of explanation.

Besides, as I said above, I don't think this is going to be all that dramatic a change.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  20:17:35  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
The FR transition to 3E is something that still upsets a lot of people, because of the lack of in-game explanation.
To be fair, it made as many (if not more) people happy, because there was no repeat of a ToT style disrupion in the Realms.

I hope WotC's memory is not so faulty that they elect to repeat anything like the ToT, whether in a small way or a large way, with the release of the next FRCS.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 16 Aug 2007 20:18:10
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  20:25:28  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: Wooly's post:
Ah, I see. I confess, I wasn't actually around for the change to 3rd edition; I came to the game when 3E was young, but not before. Thus, I saw only the aftermath of the changeover, and kind of assumed that the major changes were something WotC did to create a sort of timeline related point of reference for the edition change. Now that you mention it, I have heard that there were some significant changes made without satisfactory explanations. Let's hope it doesn't happen this time.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  20:42:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

quote:
The FR transition to 3E is something that still upsets a lot of people, because of the lack of in-game explanation.
To be fair, it made as many (if not more) people happy, because there was no repeat of a ToT style disrupion in the Realms.

I hope WotC's memory is not so faulty that they elect to repeat anything like the ToT, whether in a small way or a large way, with the release of the next FRCS.

It doesn't have to be something major like the ToT... Just something to explain changes, rather than insult our intelligence by saying things were always that way.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  20:45:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just hope that the Classes and Races book means there actually going to sit down and make a list of what are the "core" prestige classes that are out there that people use and what are the "core" special races that people use and try to give a big book of crunch instead of using an eye-dropper to redo this class in this book, and that one in that book, etc....

Hopefully, it will also take some of these classes which they've released lately that are fairly balanced and/or well liked and moving them over to 4th edition right away. Things like the binders, the incarnum wielders, the classes in PHB2, warlocks, the classes from book of nine swords, favored souls, scouts, swashbucklers, spirit shamans, war mages, archivists, dread necromancers, etc.... Hopefully, they'll also hit the prestige classes which people would consider core examples as well (spell sword, eldritch knight, mystic theurge, the ultimate magus (re-worked), bladesinger) for their use when multi-classing.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  20:57:11  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What you mean things like Elven High Magic disappearing, 10th level spells banned (but one that was 10th became a 9th level Epic spell), why Eilistraee uses one sword in 3.X when she used two in 2nd>

Things like that and many more make no sense espcially when Ed says potion of longevity did exist (and some charaters might still have some) but nobody else can get one/find one/make one (Even with Epic magic).

However the FR translation is about a year off or so, let us perhaps just deal with how 4th will change existing NPCs. Actually until we get the highlights of the improvement we can not even start to do that.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  21:44:17  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It doesn't have to be something major like the ToT... Just something to explain changes, rather than insult our intelligence by saying things were always that way.
This just makes me shake my head. I mean, I try to have empathy for this feeling and I can understand why someone would want that......but I just still can’t believe people feel this way.

Simply put: WotC's decision to listen to its active fan base (at that time, circa 1998-2000) is hardly some form of insult to one's intelligence.

The fans did not want another ToT. Or anything like it.

And quite frankly, re-imagining the Realms as WotC asked us to do seven or so years ago might be hard for a five year old, but it should be a nothing-effort for experienced gamers of our caliber.

That said, if WotC has changes in store for the Realms...well, I still stand by my earlier statement: I hope they put the burden (such as it is) on gamers and not on the Realms itself.

Under no circumstances should the Realms setting have to ‘suffer’ as it did via the ToT for the sake of game rules being updated to the next edition. If the choice to not repeat those errors at looses WotC a few hardcore fans, fine. Cut ‘em loose, I say. The setting can do without them.

If WotC decides to change aspects of the setting for the sake of the setting -and not just as a response to game rules changes- (as they did the maps and Cosmology), I’m all for it.

Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  21:56:03  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well ... prehaps they'll use 'Grand history of the realm' a major cornerstone with only some minor tweakings here and there to make it enough to be diffent ... might stage some beginning resurrections of old empires ... might dump a civil war destabilizing a specific area ... nothing realmshattering ... but in some areas protential shattering ... but as said earlier ... i don't really want go believe anything about what'll happen when before i sit with the book reading it though

though i as said hope that it would be mainly cosmetic changes that the game gets without the need of rebuilding all crunch (well ... some specific areas ought to be rebuilt since there have to be some changes but ...)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  21:59:56  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah, just reread it, classes and races isn't a rule book... its a preview.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  22:27:13  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The only reasons why many changes are necessary during an edition switch, it's because D&D gives too much details in "official numbers". Of course if you give 2-pages stats for an NPC, it may change a lot with a new edition !

Like Sanishiver said, I believe these rules-changes should have minimal "in-game" explanations, because they are not that important. What is important about Elminster (in D&D terms) ?
He's a wizard capable of launching the most difficult spells? Yes. His Chosen status ? Yes.
The complete list of his feats ? No!
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  22:44:54  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has become official. WotC has announced that there will be a 4E and it will be out in less than an hour. D&D section of WotC is closed down until the coundown is over.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  22:45:03  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MY personal count-down regarding D&D, or more precisely FR, stands at barely 11 days. That's when Storm of the Dead is out. Who cares for the trivial pursuits of those miniture lovers and rule gurus!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  23:28:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

quote:

This just makes me shake my head. I mean, I try to have empathy for this feeling and I can understand why someone would want that......but I just still can’t believe people feel this way.

Simply put: WotC's decision to listen to its active fan base (at that time, circa 1998-2000) is hardly some form of insult to one's intelligence.

The fans did not want another ToT. Or anything like it.

And quite frankly, re-imagining the Realms as WotC asked us to do seven or so years ago might be hard for a five year old, but it should be a nothing-effort for experienced gamers of our caliber.

Yeah, they're known for listening to the fanbase. That's why they specifically said they didn't, and that's why they just changed things because they felt like it, with no regard whatsoever for how anyone might feel about it. That's an excellent example of listening. Oh, and the gods know we've all been asking for a new RSE every week...

I'll say it again: they had the opportunity to officially change things with the return of Shade. And not only did they not do it, they also failed to do it with a trilogy that has some seriously mixed reviews.

Can we explain the changes ourselves? Yes, indeed. But why should we have to? Why should we have to try to come up with an explanation for an arbitrary change? Shouldn't the persons making the change give a good reason for it?

I don't care if they decide to change something. I like it when things change in the setting -- it keeps things flowing and dynamic, and for me, that is a huge part of the appeal of the setting. I just disagree with the "Ignore all the references to this being this other way -- this new lore which specifically invalidates years of old lore is not only the way it is, it's the way it's always been." If something like that isn't insulting our intelligence, then I don't know what is. And maybe I'm being selfish, but when I've faithfully supported a company for 20 years, I don't like being told that my opinion matters much less than the opinion of this new guy who has never before picked up a D&D book. And that, too, is something that has been explicitly stated.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 62 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000