Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for all about Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
716 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  08:45:52  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on Bastards of Azoun
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed has, many a time.
Seriously: in his library campaigns, run many years back (programs at the public library where Ed worked, wherein players ran characters in a chartered adventuring company, in 13 weekly sessions), Ed on three occasions created parties of adventurers containing one or more (!) PCs who were illegitimate offspring of Azoun. Two of the females didn't know their parentage, but all of the males knew or guessed - - sometimes because of attacks launched at them or offers made to them privately by nobles having sinister designs upon the Dragon Throne.
Neverending fun, Ed says. And yes, Harpers, War Wizards, AND Highknights watch over all known royal bastards.
There are some Ed hasn't revealed yet, who will surprise many Realms fans when (or, ahem, considering the 4e timeshift, IF) their heritage becomes known.
love,
THO
Garen Thal on Bastards of Azoun
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

We know without question who Azoun V's parents were (Rowen Cormaeril and Tanalasta Obarskyr), and we know from canon sources--and I'll confirm from discussions with Ed--that there is zero chance that his mother had any other children before (and, obviously, after) Azoun V, this proposed child would of necessity have to be a son of Rowen Cormaeril only, and not of the royal house (or, at the very least, not of Tanalasta).
THO on Bastards of Azoun and Cormaeril Names
quote:

To treat Markustay's suggestion seriously for a moment:
No, let's not have another "Brace Cormaeril" in Realmslore yet. Please.
I'm not talking about the handle used by a scribe here at the Keep, I'm referring to characters in the Realms.
There already IS a "Brace Cormaeril" - - and his deeds (mostly not yet told in print, but in WotC's hands as unpublished lore, that has been referenced recently at least twice by other designers than Ed) make it highly unlikely that the Cormaeril family would be using that given name much for a few generations.
Far more popular Cormaeril male given names are Aldan, Beliard, Dorn, Elend (though that's never been a first name; it's always been a second or third given name), Galard (ditto what I said for Elend), and Rorald.
This comes from Ed's notes. Damian or anyone, would you like to repost this in the "Everything About Cormyr" thread?
love to all,
THO
dracons on Bastards of Azoun
quote:
Originally posted by dracons

Tavantra Indimber is a female bastard of Azoun.
Realmslore: Azoun's Offspring

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  09:49:48  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More from Ed on Azoun IV bastard children

Cheers

Damian
Well, now we're getting down to the REAL secrets. The way I crafted matters when creating these particular characters: when Azoun and Filfaeril have children, they're usually (I'm thinking a little better than three out of four) going to be female, but Azoun's genes are going to make about the same percentage of his offspring when dallying with other women male.
Leaving out stillbirths, contraception, and all of the other complicating factors, that means that yes, there are quite a few female "bastards" of Azoun you haven't yet heard about, in published Realmslore. Which, after all, tends to avoid sex and associated topics, in part because of the intended audience for the D&D game down the years.
Inheritance in SOME Cormyrean families is matrilineal, so it does "matter" in some cases. One complicating factor that can't be ignored here is that during most of Azoun's lifetime, being "of the blood of the King" was a badge of honour, not shame, in Cormyr. However, not all women, especially if they're noble or adventurers or coinlasses (i.e. tend to promiscuity, in the non-judgemental definition of that word to mean "have multiple sexual partners") may be aware, or certain, that Azoun sired this child and not someone else (husband, boyfriend, etc.)
The consequences of Azoun's pleasuretaking (and -making) is is something I will probably revisit in future Realms fiction, being as it can make usurpers and pretenders possible. However, the "short answer" to this is that Azoun has fathered a lot of so-called "bastards," that it isn't a big deal unless the Obarskyr line is threatened with extinction, that about 77 percent or so of his "gets" will be male, and therefore there are other female offspring of Azoun (at least thirty) you haven't heard/read about yet.
Now, I'm not going to start listing them, because (with a few exceptions, involving inheritance and adventures/stories that can be built around that) I'm more interested in what people do and become, as opposed to who produced them.

So saith Ed. Who will have more to say re. Menelvagor's other queries, in the fullness of time.
love to all,
THO

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2010 :  11:11:55  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on Caladnei's nicknames

Cheers

Damian
Yes, all of the previous Royal Magicians and Court Wizards (the offices have not always been combined) have had nicknames, both cruel/disparaging/behind their backs AND affectionate/used by friends.
Caladnei, for instance, was jokingly called "Nay" (a shortening of her name AND a dig at her frequent need, as she was tested by most of the realm as an outlander and a woman who was now filling the shoes of the VERY formidable Vangey, to say "no" to various people). This name was used both as a biting insult and as an affectionate, friendly term. Only a few close friends (such as Alusair) used "Cala," and it was definitely friendly/affectionate/intimate. "Duskcloak" was a politely formal disparaging reference to Caladnei's skin hue, which wasn't so much racist (remember, Cormyr is home to native-born folk of all sorts of skin hues) as it was xenophobic ("getting at" the fact she was an outlander) . . . but it got turned into a friendly Court nickname by those who remade it into "Lady Duskcloak" and used it only in a favourable manner.
And so on. I know she has other nicknames, but Ed (and/or perhaps Garen Thal) will have to fill you in on them.
love,
THO

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kerrigan
Acolyte

Germany
31 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  10:30:52  Show Profile  Visit Kerrigan's Homepage Send Kerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I’ll slide in a little hint, here: you may read some more of Alusair’s utterances in print, fairly soon.

Thats wonderful news!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  17:39:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
. . . And I can now reveal that I was referring to Ed's novel ELMINSTER MUST DIE! as the place where you can read more utterances of Alusair.
Essential rwading for all Realms fans!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  18:11:00  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

. . . And I can now reveal that I was referring to Ed's novel ELMINSTER MUST DIE! as the place where you can read more utterances of Alusair.
Essential rwading for all Realms fans!
love,
THO

Great to hear, THO!

Elminster Must Die is definitly a must-have for any Cormyr-Fan. Aside from the utterances of Alusair you mentioned, one will find a lot of lore on Suzail and Cormyr in thios book as well, at least according to Ed's interview with flamesrising.com

I've added the book to my first entry list already.

Best wishes, Ergdusch

Edit note:
And welcome back from GenCon, THO.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 11 Aug 2010 18:17:52
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  18:56:03  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a great read.

I love who is 'living' in the Haunted Wing of the Palace.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  19:31:50  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As "the" Cormyr guy, I'll confirm that this is, in fact, a must-have for any Cormyr fan. It's not, though, a 'Cormyr novel' as such; while Elminster's Daughter could have been considered part four of the Cormyr Saga (in addition to being book 5 of the Elminster Saga; now "Sage of Shadowdale"), this story is squarely about El, a number of characters who have touched on his life in the past, and some new allies and enemies, as well.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  19:47:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to know more about Lady Dark Armour.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  00:37:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Quick question for our Cormyr experts:

I know that the crown has offered both land and money (and perhaps a title?) to anyone able to take a piece of the Stonelands, and hold it. Sort of a fantasy version of 'Home-steading'.

Anyone know where I can find this bit of lore? I looked in the two most obvious sources (the Cormyr booklets), and also the Stonelands booklet that came in Elminster's Ecologies, and I can't seem to locate it.

Volo's Guide to Cormyr has the original reference as I recall.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  02:46:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brimstone, all we know of the character you refer to (LDA) is our glimpses of her past in the Knights of Myth Drannor trilogy, what's in ELMINSTER MUST DIE, and what will be in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP (Ed has told me he won't leave the reader hanging; there WILL be something about her in that forthcoming book).
And the chapter title you quoted will make more sense to readers of the paperback editions of the book, when the chapter-head quotes and lyrics Ed wrote that were posted on the WotC website as Realmslore go into the book, to support the chapter titles above them.
Ed did say (of the character you're interested in) that she keeps struggling to "burst out and take over the whole book," but that his "wise editrix keeps stomping on her and telling Ed to keep her under control.
Now THAT'S a visual that delights me, knowing Ed as I do, and bondage as I do, and having seen Susan Morris (and her [purrrrr, delightful] tattoo, too!) from afar at GenCon, this year (I kept in hiding, not wanting to fill her with shock and dread). I must tease him about it...
as I'm QUITE good at teasing...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  04:16:31  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I see. I thought she seemed/sound familiar.

Thanks. Guess I need to re-read the Knights series.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2010 :  18:01:53  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian Cortijo on inheritance laws in Cormyr

Cheers

Damian

Dearest THO and Ed,

I have a question about inheritance laws in Cormyr in 1356 DR. Can the owner of an estate with no heir will it to a religious organization? I have a player in my group who is in the process of establishing a library and shrine on land he was given for services to the crown, but due to his character's sexual orientation, he does not have any children to inherit it. Can he leave the land to the library or will the title default back to the crown upon his death? Any information you can give would be much appreciated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This depends entirely on the land grant and its language. Most lands in Cormyr default back to the Crown if there is no one to inherit it, unless that land is specifically enumerated in a will or testament by the owner.

There are, of course, nuances to the various applicable laws. If, for example, the person is not merely landed but titled, the land (or some portion of it) may or may not be attached or associated with the knightly or noble title the character possesses--which, in turn, means that if the noble title reverts to the Crown on his death, the lands will as well.

Of course, any and all Cormyrean lands can be seized by the Crown for crimes real or imagined, or some arcane technicality built into nearly all royal land grants. Depending on the size of the property, the nature of the faith to which its been left, and the value of the particular location, they may or may not exercise that right. Although the Dragon Throne doesn't make a habit of nabbing shrines or other holy places, they're certainly willing, when the need or desire arises, to take adjacent or associate lands, or chip away at holdings to lessen the influence of a local shrine or temple.

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 25 Aug 2010 18:03:23
Go to Top of Page

Kerrigan
Acolyte

Germany
31 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  09:19:12  Show Profile  Visit Kerrigan's Homepage Send Kerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Volo's Guide to Cormyr (9486)

A question concerning these (formerly?) free downloads from Wizards of the Coast - are they active yet and somewhere to be found? The link always redirects me to the general WotC D&D website.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  10:59:03  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here you go right here.

Edited by - Brimstone on 29 Aug 2010 10:59:25
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2010 :  16:13:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Here you go right here.

Heh, guess I need to add that link to my list of links. I made that other list, then forgot to update my main links page!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  09:02:02  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kerrigan

quote:
Volo's Guide to Cormyr (9486)

A question concerning these (formerly?) free downloads from Wizards of the Coast - are they active yet and somewhere to be found? The link always redirects me to the general WotC D&D website.

Now, that you have brought this to my attention, I have fixed the outdated links on the list of the very first post the best I could with the help of Wooly's list, so that other scribes might not run into such difficulties again in the (near) future.

While checking the other links I have noticed that A Moment with Alusair - a promotion article for Ed's Sword of Dragonfire - has been removed from the wizards homepage. Any chance a scribe has archived it and is willing and able to share it with us in one or another?

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 30 Aug 2010 09:05:24
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  16:26:57  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check this out Sage and Wooly, and other folks also.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  00:43:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Good find! I'll have to add that to my list of links -- and copy all the URLs from that page, too!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2010 :  01:19:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Very interesting.

This warrants further examination.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Sep 2010 01:21:24
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2010 :  17:28:25  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on what Mellomir found in the Haunted Halls with a footnote from Eric Boyd as well

Enjoy

Damian

Mellomir discovered a spell scroll for controlling deepspawn (essentially for
anchoring them to a spot, and commanding them who NOT to attack---i.e. the
caster and friends--not a means of riding them or anything of the sort), plus
some deepspawn that the spell had been used on, plus some other magic, plus
the gate the deepspawn were guarding.
Everything (deepspawn, too, in War Wizard-guarded covered wagons) was taken
to High Horn because the War Wizards wanted to detain Mellomir and question
him closely about what he knew or had learned that he might NOT have told
them about (nothing as it happened; he's a good and honest man), and do so
out of the public eye, in a fortress entirely controlled by the
Crown---whereas doing everything in oft-rebellious Arabel is doing it in
front of literally dozens of spies (for the Zhents, the Cult of the Dragon,
Hillsfar, many Sembian merchant cabals, several Dales, etc.).
In the 'home' Realms campaign, Mellomir was given a knighthood with some coin
and land to buy his silence about this matter, and allowed to go free with
the spell (after the War Wizards had made their copies) and with one
deepspawn, which disgorged herd animals that he happily sold, and dined upon,
retiring to a cottage west of Sembia. When Vangerdahast sent certain mages to
question him later (in a friendly manner, and about other things) they found
him gone...but be aware that Mellomir maintains residences in Waterdeep,
Secomber, Neverwinter, and Sembia as well as Cormyr, and has been seen hale
and hearty since.

===

ERIC'S COMMENT

They above-mentioned gate is apparently within the Haunted Halls. Therefore
it is probably NOT part of the webwork of two-way gates mentioned in Volo's
Guide to Waterdeep, p. 149, in the discussion of the Old Monster Shop, one
terminus of which is said to connect with a ravine in the Stonelands north of
Cormyr near the Haunted Halls.

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2010 :  19:39:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO Strikes again!

quote:

Hi again, everyone.
Damian, to dispel confusion: Shieldwall barons have territories, usually centered on whatever home they dwell in (which is almost always fortified or at least "defensible"), and these are known as "baronies" out of convenience. They aren't "baronies" (chunks of land) in the European real-world sense, but are really "your part of the frontier to try to hold for Cormyr" if you're a Shieldwall baron. Although there are feuds and stony disagreements, wise barons work with their neighbouring barons for mutual survival.
A handful of Shieldwall baron names from Ed's notes, as of 1362 DR: Jalaskar Mueryn is Baron Snowshar, Bereld Rethammur is Baron Blackmount, and Larandarr Tathond is Baron Hawkril. All prime-of-life, burly warrior sorts installed in their "baronies" by Azoun IV after predecessors (to whom they were not related) fell in battle.

So saith Ed's notes.
love,
THO

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  00:04:06  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on the Shieldwall Barons

Cheers

Damian
I get the sense from Ed that there are at least two dozen Shieldwall barons as of the 1350s and 1360s. As far as typical dwellings: just about anything, from caves with fortified front entrances through wooden forts with palisades, fortified stone manor houses, and, yes, the "ruins of a previous baron patched up" you mention. Not much stone castle building goes on, but a lot of repair work (winters are hard, so lots of ice "shoving" that forces walls apart occurs) happens with all stone structures.
Any baron fortunate enough to find ore deposits (or an abandoned mine, according to Ed's notes, though I've never heard of one in that area) in "their" territory is entitled to exclusively work it, and keep 80 percent of the proceeds, 20 percent going to the Crown.
There's no "claim," because the Crown owns everything. Yes, there's a LOT of mineral wealth in western Cormyr, but very little of it is easily found/worked (small veins and deposits, buried under a LOT of rock that must be removed, in monster-haunted dangerous territory with severe weather).
The Court heralds (i.e. the Crown) name all baronies; if a newly ennobled Baron is being given a "new" territory rather than taking over an existing barony (the name of which will be retained unless, in rare instances such as a noble family being exiled and stripped of their titles, the Crown doesn't want it to), that baron gets to suggest/cajole the heralds, but the Crown always has the final say, not the baron.

So saith me, operating from Ed's notes. More when I can get to talk to him (he has family visiting right now).
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 25 Sep 2010 15:54:16
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2010 :  00:06:33  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More from Garen Thal on Shieldwall Barons

Cheers

Damian

Because I am always loath to step on Ed's lore that I haven't peeked at, I'll hang off on naming specific nobles of families just yet. Still, I can help with a few of your queries.

1) What are the typical dwellings for ennobled barons? wooden forts with pallisades, fortified manor houses, ruins of a previous baron patched up? How much stone castle building goes on?
In the Storm Horns, which seem to be your area of concern, shieldwall barons make due with whatever they can manage, from tent cities and hastily-constructed spear-walls to wooden keeps. The region (given its location, the difficulty of quarrying and distance from reliable sources, and the difficulty of getting skilled crews anywhere) makes stone construction very difficult.

2) If a baron is lucky enough to find a gold/silver/copper/tin/gem mine on his/her land, how do they go about registering the claim? Does the claim stay with them only or can it be passed to an heir? Is there much mineral wealth in western Cormyr?
Our Hooded Lady has answered this one fairly well. There is mineral wealth to be found in the Storm Horns, but a great majority of it is one of two types: highly concentrated lower metals in small and easily spent deposits (copper is a primary one, but also some tin and sometimes iron), and larger but spread-out veins of more valuable metals (primarily silver), which take a long time to mine before any return can be found.

3) Who decides what a barony will be called? Does the Crown and/or Heralds have a list of 'accepted' barony names or can the newly ennobled Baron Swillbuckets name himself Baron Swillbuckets of Greysword Vale (the small nameless valley he was given by the crown)? If he doesn't survive the first winter would the name be honoured by the Heralds/Crown or can a newly enobled Baron (Aerith Falcondown) rename it to the Barony of Falcondown when it is given to him?
As always, the Heralds (Crown heralds, in this case) name all baronies and other place-titles. The Crown might very well let Lord Swillbuckets become Baron of Greysword Vale, but that vale will have been named by some Herald or courtier long before the good baron has any idea what to call himself. Titles that are inherited also include their appropriate places, so the next Baron would also be of Greysword Vale.

Keep in mind, however, that Cormyr is not a feudal system but a central monarchy. There is no barony of Greysword as such, with borders and an area of authority invested in a baron. Titles in Cormyr aren't attached to any specific grant of land or tied in any way but formal declaration to a location. There's no such thing as a Cormyrean "barony."

[A brief note about titles: In Cormyr, nobles get titles that might, in the real world, by accompanied by a land grant of appropriate size and the possibility of nobles of lower rank swearing fealty to the noble. Barons gain baronial titles, but not an actual barony; similarly, dukes are given dukedoms (a ducal title) but not duchies (an assignment of land). It's easy to confuse the two, I know, but it's still the case.]

4) Can a succesful baron of good standing and years of succesful building of his barony take over the land of a new baron adjacent to his land who died within his first winter because he/she couldn't protect his land from orc attacks etc? If not what measures might the Crown take? Could the Baron buy the land rather than send his troop in to patrol/take over?
In such a case, the deceased baron's heirs (as determined by his desendants, the grant of title, and Crown decree) inherit his lands, his titles, and his responsibilities. If no heirs exist, the title and the land revert to the Crown, who might assign it to the above-mentioned baron, or might send Purple Dragons to administer the lands.

See also the note about titles, above.

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2010 :  00:12:05  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More from Markustay on Shieldwall Barons
(with a nod of approval from Ed)

Cheers

Damian
Considering these barons occupy much the same place in lore as 'frontier Forts' (of Kelnore? ), I would assume the decision by the crown would be based more upon an aspirant's ability to defend Cormyr's border adequately, unlike interior titles (and lands) that could be more 'casually' doled-out (for political favors and what-not).

What this means is that IF a Baron wanted his son (OR daughter - this is the Realms) to 'inherit' his parcel of land, he would have to make damn sure his progeny was ready to uphold its requirements, and be well-trained in several areas. In that case, if the child is then considered a worthy successor, he/she would move to the forefront of the list.

Bare-in-mind that this is no light matter, and some of these holds are held in a state of constant readiness - many barons mat NOT want their children to hold this office. They may have chosen this in order to win favor with the crown, in hopes of a more permanent title and land grant on the interior for their heirs.

These are also just the sort of positions and titles held by adventurers that have 'carved-out' their own niche on Cormyr's frontier. These are not your typical slothful nobles, but rather rugged warriors and frontiersmen all. It is canon that Cormyr operates in just this fashion - using adventurers to expand its marches - so as not to overly jeapardize its own soldiers and nobility while still remaining a growing and prosperous power.

This is why Cormyr embraces adventurers -something most nations frown upon as 'trouble makers' - and gives-out those adventuring charters. You get them out of the interior where they could cause problems, and have them do your dirty work for you.

Sorry for giving my own answer - Cormyr has recently become my main area of interest - any corrections or editions would be most welcome and appreciated, Ed and THO.

Right on, Markustay: Ed and I agree with all of your comments re. the Shieldwall barons. You've "got it" precisely.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  09:16:05  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on Azoun IV and his fertility

Cheers

Damian

Markustay, you are ON to something, and Thauramarth is correct: Azoun WAS encouraged to be a womanizer, by Vangey (not that other War Wizards haven't toyed with the idea regarding other Obarskyrs, in the past [[yes, this directly according to Ed, not me speculating]]), in the wake of their son's (firstborn's) death, as a way of bringing some male "blood offspring" into being, well removed in strength of throne-claim from Azoun and Fee's legitimate children, but "in case" (for one thing, to have "another string to the bow" if the daughters turned out to be weak of character, and unscrupulous nobles thought of marrying them to a dominating male).
Vangey came to see this as less necessary when the daughters turned out to be strong, and Alusair almost "another Azoun" with her own way of bonding with and inculcating loyalty in the next generation of male nobles.
Then, later, Vangey saw it as more necessary again, after - - in the scene in CORMYR: A NOVEL - - the "disaster" was discovered in the royal vault. It should be noted that this was a tendency in Azoun that Vangey, as the young Azoun's tutor and companion (again, see CORMYR: A NOVEL) had become well aware of, not something Vangey had to force or magically influence Azoun into.
There are of course obvious drawbacks to Azoun womanizing with nobility (personal hatreds of him on the part of some noble husbands), but Vangey weighed two things: the personal popularity of Azoun among many male nobles (and commoners), both as a war leader and ruler, and as a likeable guy - - and the fact that the Crown's relationship with certain nobles couldn't get any worse; they are already behaving like active, if sly rather than open, traitors, so . . .
And of course this cut both ways: there were families who sought to increase their prestige, or chances at getting Court positions or contracts, or just their profile locally or among War Wizards or the Purple Dragons or at Court, by "being close with the King" and ending up with "a get of Azoun's" in their families. There were also some women who wanted this on their own, family notwithstanding. Plus the "old battle companions" of Azoun, like Tessaril Winter, whom he sought out as friends and comforting bedmates rather than as mothers for his children (but whom he'd be delighted that they were having his children IF they wanted to).
This happens to be something Ed and I (and a few others) have discussed extensively, if privately, down the years, so what I say here isn't me inventing, it's Ed's take on this. There are some other "open, waiting secrets" of the Realms like this that we don't volunteer - - but we WILL confirm, if a scribe "tumbles to them."
Wheee!
love to all,
THO

One postscript, upon reflection:
Azoun was/is no dunderhead or easily-manipulated dupe, and neither is Filfaeril. It's important not to overemphasize "Vangey as Machiavelli" here, and to avoid seeing Azoun or his queen as weak, enspelled, or oblivious. They, too, play the game of "balancing bastards and heirs" off against each other, for the good of the realm (i.e. to keep the throne strong and the Obarskyr bloodlines very much in existence, but also to prevent civil war/their own assassinations/overmuch feuding amongst the nobles).
Right. My work here is done. For a few breaths.
More lore soon,
love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 09 Sep 2010 09:17:32
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2010 :  09:21:13  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on Queeen Fee and her relationship with the Harpers

Cheers

Damian
Hi again, all.
Markustay, re. your Filfaeril questions, and these:

Ed replies:

Nothing about Filfaeril is inspired by any of Frank's Dune books, because Fee was detailed and determined in my notes before I got to read the first book (it was in my father's HUGE "to read" pile, and in those days, after I'd sprung some quite adult novels on him from his collection and asked him eagerly if there were sequels, he'd decided to "vet" my borrowings from his collection. He didn't get to DUNE until 1966, when it won the first Nebula and thus got drawn to his attention; he fished it out of the pile, read it, decided it was okay for my tender brain, and handed it on to me. I was seven years old at the time, and six when DUNE came out, remember. :}
I can say that Fee works with the Harpers, sometimes deliberately against Vangerdahast, but her relationship to Those Who Harp (Dove and Storm are involved, remember) is a little more complicated than "she's a Harper agent." I have to tread carefully here because of NDAs, so I think I'll leave it at that for now. Other than to say you're on to something, and Fee is, yes, far deeper than she's been depicted in canon Realmslore thus far.
As for the Elminster questions: VERY MUCH NDA. Hint cough hint. The answer to the second one really depends on your definition of "prolonged."

So saith Ed. Hinting like mad, I see . . .
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 25 Sep 2010 15:56:54
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2010 :  15:50:59  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on the Dalestride Gate (portal) from the 'home' realms campaign

Cheers

Damian

Hi again, all.
Iluvrien, Ed isn't talking about that particular topic right now. (I know, because I asked him about that the moment I read ELMINSTER MUST DIE!)
However, we Knights know a LITTLE about that portal from the "home" Realms campaign. It long predates Caladnei's arrival in Cormyr, and is a two-way portal that was often used by Vangerdahast to send War Wizards swiftly to the Dales, and get them back to report to him quickly, too.
Before the Time of Troubles, its very existence was a very well kept state secret of Cormyr, known to most War Wizards, a few senior courtiers, the royal family, Vangey, and a handful of Harper spies - - NOT to most folks around the Palace, and thus, many citizens of Suzail.
Florin formed the opinion, confirmed by Elminster with a silent nod at one point (at least, all of us who were present are pretty sure that's what the Old Mage was confirming), that the portal ("gate" to us, remember; all of this lore predates the game edition change that introduced the term "portal" to widespread use in D&D) was created as an "escape route" for Obarskyrs in the case of assassination or usurpation: a fast way out of the realm that royals could take, hopefully with War Wizard or other loyal bodyguards, to go into hiding and survive for a later attempt to reclaim the Dragon Throne.
Yes, it's a two-way portal, but the reason for its creation was to create a way to get out, not to establish a permanent vulnerability for invasion into the heart of the Royal Palace of Suzail (THAT was an unavoidable cost).
Or so we believe.
As I said, Ed isn't talking. Yet. Perhaps we'll all learn more in BURY ELMINSTER DEEP. Or later sequels.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  00:09:52  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on Vangy's Mage Sigil

Cheers

Damian

Hi, Damian!
The triangles represent Vangey's three masters/three life foci:
Mystra (and the Art = magic), Jorunhast (Vangey's tutor and predecessor as Royal Magician), and Cormyr (the Obarskyrs, the Dragon Throne; the realm to be guarded so it will survive and flourish, and that guarding to be done with magic and to preserve a realm in which magic is important and prized).
I was WONDERING when someone would ask about this . . . :}

So saith Ed. And there you have it; another little secret of the Realms revealed . . .
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 31 Oct 2010 00:18:13
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2010 :  08:35:56  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More from THO on Vangy

Cheers

Damian

And hello again, everyone. Damian, a proper answer from Ed will be forthcoming, but I can tell you quickly that Vangey not only worships Azuth, he has a close relationship with him, and the choice of triangles as a shape used in his sigil actually has something to do with that [[Ed hasn't yet revealed more than that in play, so I'm as much in the dark as you are]]. The triangles are the same size to denote being in balance with each other (or Vangey striving to keep them in balance, throughout his life), yes.
Vangey isn't a prolific spell-creator. For one thing, he's always been too busy, and for another, he's always been the sort of caster who uses a spell created by someone else, sees its shortcomings, and sets about "improving" it for his own purposes, more than he sits down to create something new or has magical inspiration strike him out of the blue.
Yet he has indeed created some spells, and Ed will, I hope, soon tell you more . . .
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page