Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Looking for all about Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2009 :  15:33:34  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on cobbled roads and bridges (from actual gameplay)

Cheers

Damian

As far as I can remember, Asgetrion, cobbled streets are restricted to the cities of Cormyr, High Horn, and the "main drags" of larger places like Wheloon. Everywhere else is hard-packed fine gravel atop dirt, with stones and moss on the flanks to slow washouts (and repaired constantly; the Purple Dragon road-patrols inspect and report constantly). With logs under the dirt in swampy spots.
Of course, I'll pass your query on to Ed, in case anything's changed.”

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 26 Nov 2009 11:10:38
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2009 :  10:04:41  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on Suzailian seamstresses.

cheers

Damian

Suzail has dozens of importers who sell cloaks made in Sembia and Amn, and will alter them or add trim at a local shopkeeper’s (or walk-in client’s) request, or more often on their own, to try to create a stylish new look to differentiate their wares from everyone else’s. Many, many seamstresses toil in the poorer parts of the city altering and recycling (cutting down into other garments) clothing of all sorts, and there are at least four clothing shops on the Promenade and central-city streets immediately south of the Promenade that routinely dye and adorn all manner of clothes to make them flashier, to stimulate sales.
However, Suzail has only one “known” high-class cloakmaker: Antheava Maeroara, who has an extensive second-floor shop above the premises of Harlthas Oamurburl, a custom boot maker, in Pendle Street (the two floors above Maeroara’s shop and workshop are the living quarters of rental tenants, mostly workers in the two shops).
Antheava is a tireless, eager-to-please, seemingly ageless thin and supple woman who for decades has been a custom cloak designer and maker to the nobility and to all others with coin enough to pay outrageous prices for their cloaks (four times what a fine cloak costs elsewhere, and more). At all hours of the day or night she’ll respond to their entreaties for emergency repairs, cleaning, or alterations; scores of noblewoman adore her and consider her a “quiet” (close-mouthed keeper-of-confidences) friend.
There has never been a breath of scandal associated with her; she’s known to prefer the company of women, and to gently but firmly dissuade all advances from clients or other nobles of either gender.
Many Suzailan designers of other items of clothing or accoutrements have been touched by scandal, however, and the majority of these seem to deliberately behave outrageously (indulging in many excesses) to repeatedly gain attention and so gain notoriety. The undergarment-maker Haelaera Immermoon is perhaps the most currently (just pre-Spellplague) infamous of these. A sexually voracious lover of seemingly-endless fondlings and orgies with anyone and everyone (both genders, and many races and species, from snakes to orcs to drow), who seems to enjoy feeling pain and having some means of healing herself from even grievous wounds, she delights in all manner of salacious behaviour that usually begins with the “personal fittings” she demands all of her clients take part in. Most Suzailans either avoid her entirely or can’t afford her wares, or enjoy dealing with her but find her “exhausting, simply exhausting - - and you MUST hear what she made me do!” Haelaera is a young-looking, thin-to-bony, blonde human Aglarondan woman who seems never to sleep, or need to do so.

So saith Ed, tireless revealer of all manner of sidelines and oddities of the Realms.
love to all,
THO

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 26 Nov 2009 11:10:53
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2009 :  11:55:29  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on land owning in Cormyr

Cheers

Damian
i again, all. A quick Ed-reply to Kajehase’s question: “. . .what is the ratio of land-owning farmers to farmers paying someone (probably a noble or religious organisation, I'm guessing) for the privilege of working their homesteads in Cormyr

Ed replies:

The owners versus tenants ratio is about 85 percent owners to 15 percent tenants in Cormyr (with almost all tenant farmers in the southeast; if you expand the definition of “tenants” to include the household staff of nobility working the nobles’ farmland, AND include farmers who farm their own land but also farm a field or two owned by absentee landlords [[usually city folk or nearby nobles]], the ratio shifts to about 70 percent land-owning farmers versus 30 percent renting farmers).

ADDENDUM

How are the tenants usually paying their rent - coins (not very often I'm guessing), giving part of "their" farm's produce, or by working a set number of day's on a property run by the landowner?

Ed tells us:

Tenants have all three of those options open to them in Cormyr, and usually choose the third (but sometimes the second). This is the norm across the Realms, wherever tenant farmers exist.

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 10 Dec 2009 17:30:34
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2010 :  22:33:49  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just stumbled across one more portal in Cormyr:

There is a certain one-way-only portal leading from the Farlight Stones (a hill in an uninhabited corner in southeastern Daggerdale with a little bowl at the top - with a small ring of standing stones , not visible from below) to Muskin's Well (a small pool just below a well that feeds it) in the Hullack Forest near Firefall Keep.

The Lady Harper Storm travels through it in chapter 3 of Stormlight, p.39-43.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  06:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ergdusch - I'm just getting back to Candlekeep after an extended absence, and it's really nice to see this tread still going after nearly 3 years. Keep up the good work and thanks for all the effort you've put into it.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2010 :  13:06:59  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

Ergdusch - I'm just getting back to Candlekeep after an extended absence, and it's really nice to see this tread still going after nearly 3 years. Keep up the good work and thanks for all the effort you've put into it.

Hello Halidan,
your words should adress not only me but all scribes who contributed their time and knowledge to this thread to keep it going for such a long time. And rightly so, for I visit the Keep rather infrequent myself these days. However, I thank thee for your praise none the less!

Good gaming always,

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2010 :  09:09:14  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on heraldy of the senior noble families

Cheers

Damian

Hi, Asgetrion. I'm afraid that thanks to a recent basement flood, I'm away from my detailed heraldry notes right now, which include full, formal blazons for some of the senior Cormyrean noble families, but let me describe the circa-1350s-1360s arms of those three families informally, from memory.
HUNTSILVER: shield of forest green, with a face-on wide and splendid rack of stag's antlers, in silver, centered right across the upper third of the shield. The point of the shield is crimson to denote blood, with the upper "edge" of this hue, where it meets the forest green, being an irregular spattering.
CROWNSILVER: shield of deep royal blue, with a slender silver border ("edge") all around, and a circle of six silver edge-on simple crowns in the center of the shield. The edge-on crowns are a side-view of a horizontal piece of brow-metal with an upper edge scalloped into five points: two flaring endpoints, a central point, and a point in between the center and each end point. (In other words, the crowns don't appear as circlets, or as having detailed ornamentation.)
TRUESILVER: shield of scarlet, with a slender purple border ("edge") all around. Diagonally across the shield from the lower left corner (hilt) to upper right (point) is a stylized silver sword: it has a small handgrip and quillons, an extremely wide blade like a chef's cleaver that is curved like a scimitar.
Note: All of the three families' arms have changed over time. Huntsilver used to have varying arrays of brown thorns and silver hoofprints in its field; Crownsilver has had a single large crown surrounded by a dozen tiny ones, later replaced by a regular pattern of twoscore tiny edge-on crowns, and still later superceded by the current arms; and Truesilver was formerly a shield of royal blue (without a border) displaying two diagonal lines, upper left to lower right, of three plain silver shields each. I can't recall the times of the changes right now, but they're all in the 1200s or earlier, not in the 1300-1350s range.
The simple badges of the three families are as follows: Huntsilver: silver rack of antlers on a forest green oval field. Crownsilver: a single silver edge-on crown on a royal blue oval field. Truesilver: a plain silver diagonal band, lower left to upper right, across a crimson oval field.
Hope this helps!

So there you have it: three noble blazons, from Ed. Essential Realmslore that should have been published long ago. I'll see if I can pry the arms of a handful more major families (like House Illance) out of him.
Wish me luck.
love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2010 :  16:41:00  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like the Time of Troubles before, the Spellplague is an event that you can very much discuss about and the Realms Fan my like it or may not. (This is NO invitation to discuss this matter again, so please don't!) However, it is none the less part of official Forgotten Realms history. Therefore I decided to 'go 4th' with this thread as well. Therefore I updated the first entry, now listing some Cormyr-related 4th Edition sources as well, the latest one being Ed's DDi article 'Tarmel Drouth, Outcast Noble'.

If anyone knows about other Cormyr-related 4th Edition material, especially DDi articles or novels detailibg Cormyr after the events of the Spellplague, please post them here or send me a message. Thanks in advance and

enjoy gaming,

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2909 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2010 :  16:52:23  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  16:09:22  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on Art in Cormyr

Cheers

Damian

Nobles always want portraits of themselves and of "important moments" in family history. Which they commission from popular-with-nobles artists.
"Everyone Cormyrean" wants paintings of great kings, usually warriors (Dhalmass, Duar, increasingly Azoun IV), and retired Purple Dragons want paintings of Queen Fee or whoever was queen when they served, plus any victory battle they fought in. Commoners buy prints or the daubs of travelling artists (usually good, but very much the same as innumerable copies done by that artist and competitors), but nobles want DIFFERENT, original paintings of the same things (bigger and better).
Merchants and artists (including musicians, actors) often purchase paintings that catch their eye to inspire them (popular examples are paintings of beautiful men or women, clad or unclad). The wealthiest commission artists to paint lovers or models (club dancers, courtesans, even lowcoin lasses) specifically for them...and there's an increasing trend of artists who paint such subjects doing regular "tours" of settlements all over Cormyr and rural Sembia, selling their wares in markets (usually from a wagon).

. . . Only nobles collect sculptures (usually statuettes), and "art" to the Realms in this time period is realistic artwork, NOT abstract.

Oho, found another mention two pages later:

A popular subject in "daring" or "oldcoin noble" households is THE Purple Dragon (the beast, not a king) in flight or routing elves or invading human armies or orc hordes or tearing apart castles.

All of the above is quoted by me from Ed's notes Circa 1986 or so.. I've sent your queries off to him for expansion/a direct answer, to expand on these basics.
I don't recall Ed ever mentioning an art school in Cormyr (Sembia, yes), but I DO remember him talking about artists taking apprentices, particularly as their eyesight and manual dexterity started to fail with advancing age.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 28 Mar 2010 16:10:42
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2010 :  16:16:15  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More from Ed on artwork and its creators, and how King Azoun IV can be painted

Cheers

Damian
Yes, there have been artists murdered because of their work (though it's rare). Being shunned by most noble patrons is a more common fate. I'll do a proper reply on this as soon as I can snatch the time (embarking on taxes right now).
Re. paintings of royalty: a nude of a current queen, or a scene depicting any current royalty or the immediate parents of current royalty doing something humiliating (unclad, on their knees, being flogged or engaging in sexual acts in which they are the recipient rather than the dominant, for instance) would be considered in the worst of taste, and either kept hidden for private viewing (by the commissioning noble and perhaps one or two trusted friends whom he knows beforehand hold the same views on the royal personage in question) - - or would suffer arrest, fining, and public disgrace (plus burning of the offending painting) at the hands of local, loyal Purple Dragons, even without the royalty ever personally knowing about it. War Wizards and the heralds all act quickly on matters like this, to prevent disparagement of the royal family becoming an everyday, widespread affair.

Azoun IV, however, is a special case. If he's shown casually or wholly clad, talking with women, reading with women, arranging flowers with women, hunting with women, etc., that's all "just fine." If he or they are partially unclad, it's only okay if the scene is him fighting to protect them against a foe (who is NOT an angry husband, it should be pointed out). Nudes or partial nudes of past queens (before Filfaeril) are all right, so long as they are tasteful rather than caricatures or depicted in demeaning poses. (It has been slyly argued that as painters ALWAYS put crowns on the heads of females so the viewer will know they are queens, they are, in fact, never completely nude . . . but heralds and courtiers take the flat view of: showing breasts and/or crotch is a concern, showing legs, "half a haunch," bare arms and shoulders, "the swell of the bosom," and so on, is NOT a matter of concern.
In all cases, if a painter attempts an accurate (to the facts, as much as they are known) depiction of an actual event, this is a partially-mitigating defense against any complaints of "lewd" or "treasonous" art. So if Lady Delnwood fled naked from her bedchamber into the arms of the waiting King Azoun when her drunken sons burst in to wreck the room, that's "okay" as the subject of a painting. Because the King was in reality accompanied by a War Wizard, three courtiers, and a bodyguard of four Purple Dragons, and he and they were all fully clothed, it would NOT be okay for the artist to depict the waiting King, his arms outstretched to Lady Delnwood, as being alone and naked at the time.

It is an offense to copy an offending piece of art and show the copy "in public," so if a painting is deemed "banned," selling or displaying all copies of it, however inferior, is also a crime. (Note that as all paintings, as opposed to prints, are hand-painted, the copies need not be exact; if the offending elements are reproduced, no matter how badly, changing the setting, colour palette, or other details doesn't make the copy "acceptable."

My notes have yielded up a prominent painter of Suzail, circa 1357 DR: Elros Lazandur, an aging, crotchety, short and stooped man who does portraits and hunt scenes depicting nobility - - but refuses to do nudes or anything "modern." His work is well respected, expensive, and rarely comes on the market because noble buyers don't want to part with it. His house (including a front room shop/studio) is on Doloph Street ("DOE-loff"), which is one of the streets south of the Promenade and paralleling the Promenade, in the western half of the city.

So saith Ed. Who promises more, when he can get to it. (The Christmas tree is down after four years, so it's taxes now!!!)
love to all,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO

Edited by - crazedventurers on 28 Mar 2010 16:16:44
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  11:54:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again crazed, for your contributions.

BTW, do any more Cormyr-related short stories exist aside from Scott Ciencins A Virtue By Reflection from Realms of Valor (which I added to the listing on page 1, right after the novels-section)?

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2010 :  14:03:01  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There! I just had to read a little further in Realms of Valor to find yet another cormyr-related short-story: A Family Business by James Lowder.

The story does not give that many cormyr-related info, I have to admit. However, it retells the events of an assassination attempt on the young Prince Azoun, even before he became the great and reknown King Azoun IV. Therefore alone it belongs to the list on the first page, where you'll find it from today onward.

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 09 May 2010 20:39:25
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  00:06:18  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on Espar, Esparin and Hullack

Cheers

Damian

“I had always assumed that Espar was the capital of/or named after the now absorbed Kingdom of Esparin (re: the Enchara lore from the Haunted Halls module). Obviously given what is written in 'The Sword that Never Sleeps' novel this appears not to be the case?”

Espar is named after the vanished kingdom, yes, but it wasn’t always its capital (see next answer).

“So is Espar named after Esparin and if so why is it on the western reaches of Cormyr rather than the northeast where the Kingdom of Esparin was based? (The only theory I can come up with is that this is a deliberate choice by the Crown/Court Wizard to throw folks who are looking for Lost Esparin into the wrong area and therefore conceal the Lost Palace?).”

Yerespar began as a marketmoot around the westernmost fortress (which stood hard by the hilltop “Stronghold” seen in SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR, that the young future Knights played in; the Stronghold of today is actually the stone foundations of a cottage outbuilding of the royal mansion of Esparin, the keep that guarded that mansion having been entirely torn apart by Cormyrean fortresses, and the stones carried off for use in building the later Cormyrean cottages of Espar and elsewhere) of Esparin.
In the early years of Esparin’s existence, its seat of power was to the east, and it was then that what’s known today as “the Lost Palace” was built.
Later, as the Esparrin came to increasingly to depend on covert supplies of arms, mercenaries, mounts, food, and coin from certain nobles of Cormyr, the capital of the realm was moved to Yerespar, and it was renamed “Espar,” and the royal mansion and “Sword Keep” were built there.
The mansion was torched and utterly destroyed, along with Sword Keep, but the cottage had been blasted to bits by a wizard’s spell earlier in the conflicts between Esparin and Cormyr (in a failed attempt to slay royal Esparrin), and had been forgotten and never rebuilt, so its overgrown foundations survived.
After Palaghard wed Enchara and Esparin fell to Cormyr, the inhabitants of Esparin who were willing to swear loyalty to Cormyr’s Crown were allowed to remain in Espar (many retiring Purple Dragons were given land to settle on in and around Espar for decades thereafter, to “anchor” it in loyal hands). The other Esparrin had either been slain in battle with Cormyr, or were driven off, or had fled (most of them into the Dales and northern, backcountry Sembia, where there’s a distaste for Cormyr that lingers to this day).
So as not to “poke the sleeping dragon” of local anger against the Court in Suzail, the name “Espar” was tolerated and allowed to stand, rather than being replaced - - and yes, a factor in that decision was its location as the westernmost fringe of the conquered kingdom, rather than its heart (so, indeed, rebels and others seeking “Lost Esparin” were misdirected into the wrong area).

“Can you say anything more about Esparin? Was it a breakaway kingdom that came back into the fold? From printed lore its history revolves around Enchara and her marrying Palaghard I in the 12th century after he conquered it. So we have plenty of time for it to 'pop up' in the history of Cormyr before especially as it is based near Arabel and Cormyr 'proper' - it would seem to me therefore to be a short lived Kingdom?”

Esparin was a relatively short-lived kingdom, but rather than being a breakaway, it was more of a separately-founded place, in the northern wilderlands of the area between the Thunder Peaks and the Stormhorns, that the Purple Dragon lost to the elves, and the elves faded away before the ever-expanding human settlements of. In other words, the elves had already decided to give up the futile bloodshed of resisting the humans, and quietly surrender the territory west of the Thunder Peaks, retreating to the Elven Court (though some of them lingered in the Hullack). There were many dissatisfied humans from other lands who sought new lands where they could dwell in less oppression and more prosperity. Esparin was founded by one such (circa 1020 DR, though there are disputes as to the exact date and founder) and resisted the “authority” of exploring bands and monster-scouring patrols from Cormyr, eventually becoming raiders of Cormyr and being seen as “outlaw rebels” by Cormyr.
Esparrin always considered themselves owners and citizens of their own land, that had as much right to exist as “that other kingdom” of Cormyr to the south, and although they first mistrusted exiles from Cormyr and fugitives from Cormyrean justice as “spies sent among us,” over time they became proud to welcome “fellow oppressed” from Cormyr, to swell their ranks.
When Proster was king of Cormyr, he ignored Esparin’s rise, but his more famous son Baerovus saw Esparin as a threat when he came to the throne, and gave battle to its forces whenever he saw good opportunity. In the seemingly eternal struggle between House Obarskyr and the nobles of Cormyr who weren’t on the Dragon Throne, Esparin was secretly supported by some of those noble families to weaken the Obarskyrs (in hopes that they could be supplanted on the throne) and by wealthy merchants of Marsember who hoped to win independence for Marsember from a Cormyr weakened and embroiled in a war with Esparin.

“Re. the heraldry of Esparin with the Unicorn - made up as new or derived from a rebel family that broke from Cormyr? Or does the unicorn and trees have any link with the Hullack forest and/or Hullack himself? I ask because of the timeframe:

- From Pages from the Mages VI we learn that Hullack led the druids of the Wyvernwater 200 years ago (say 1100DR or so) about the same time Esparin was in force? We also know that the druids were slain by beholders who were served by gargoyles, bugbears, and quicklings. The eye tyrants sought to establish a realm in the area.

- Futhermore the 'Men in Green' used the Crystum of Tranquility to slay the Beholder King sometime after 1112DR when they recived the Crystrum from Shalgreth of the Wings (a member of the Hullack Circle given the preceding lore in the 2E Prayers from the Faithful writeup?)

Three pieces of Realmslore within a similar timeframe and similar location - just wondering if there is a connection between Esparin and Hullack?”

The only real connection (though local tales speak darkly of many more) is that one (the beholders) sought to take advantage of the distraction afforded by another (Esparin) in their battles with Cormyr.
The rise of the beholders certainly pushed more of the elves out of the Hullack and east the mountains, right out of what became Cormyr. Hullack himself, and the druids, were on friendly-to-neutral terms with Esparin because the Esparrin were wise enough not to make foes of them, whereas Hullack’s relationship with expanding Cormyr was NOT friendly.
Hullack and the Esparrin were never, so far as is known by later loremasters, battle-allies.
The unicorn-and-trees heraldry of Esparin is related to the trees of the Hullack and King’s Forest, and the wilderlands north of both and between both (which were then largely uncleared for farming and still heavily wooded). Unicorns were legendarily numerous in those now-vanished “in between” forests, and one of the noble families of Cormyr that secretly supported Esparin, House Ulmair, used the unicorn as its badge and the chief charge of its blazon.
However, two prominent families of Esparin, the Darlreths and the Melmanes, also had unicorn badges and blazons.
(The Ulmairs are extinct as a noble house of Cormyr, but have numerous descendants in Westgate, and the Darlreths and Melmanes are widely believed to have been exterminated in Palaghard’s conquest of Esparin, but in fact numerous descendants survive scattered across Sembia.)

I hope these answers are helpful. I hope to say much more about Esparin eventually, just as I hope to reveal the full lineage of Cormyr some day . . . but I’ve got an unfinished novel on my plate, first! (And a Spin A Yarn not yet done, second! And . . . )

Heh. So saith Ed, creator of the Realms and its busy, busy handyman, makeover co-ordinator, and tour guide.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  03:19:17  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great stuff... but it's the full Cormyr Lineage that makes me all tingly... Maybe we'll see the Lineage for the end of April 2011... why then? "Because it'ss my birthday, and I wantss it!"

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  10:06:49  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ah, I can answer one of your questions myself, straight away: whenever a noble family is "extinguished" in Cormyr (by dying off, or by being stripped of noble title), its lands and holdings are forfeit to the crown or "return to the realm." That is, they pass back into the hands of the Obarskyrs, who may retain them - - or more often dole them out again, to someone newly ennobled foer service to Cormyr, later.
A keep thus changing hands may well be renamed, but from my experience playing in the Realms, old names tend to "cling" in Cormyr for generations, regardless of renamings.
love,
THO

I saw this project, and wanted to add this in just in case someone else might benefit from it in their research or campaigns.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  20:44:23  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks crazed and Joran.

Both are very interesting pieces of lore concerning our beloved Forest Kingdom and their contribution is very much appreciated.

Keep on delivering, fellow scribes.

And here is another short and somewhat removed cormyr-related information from my part:
- Alkenen the peddler is featured in Twilight Falling by Paul S. Kemp on p. 32 et seq. Even though he's not a major player in Cormyrian matters, I thought Alkenen to be a great NPC, who might appear almost anywhere in Cormyr at any time. Here is a short info on him, his cart and his goods as discribed on p. 33 of the above mentioned source:

quote:
Alkenen's cart looked much like most peddlers', a sturdy wodden box on four wheels. "Roadships" they were called. Goods were stored for travel inside the walk-in main compartment, accessible from a narrow door in the back, and rotating slats were built into the cart's sides. When turned down and locked in place, the slats could serve as display shelves.

Alkenen is active from the Heartlands to Sembia, traveling through Cormyr from time to time selling a dizzying array of goods - glassware, knick-knacks, statuettes of wood and bronze, sterling pendants, old clothing, leather goods, used weapons, even kitchen pots.
Good gaming always,

Ergdusch

Edit Note
:
Upon reading about Alkenen the Peddler I questioned Paul S. Kemp about him. Here is both, question and answer copied from the Chambers of Sages section:
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Alkenen the peddler is featured in Twilight Falling on p. 32 et seq. I was wondering if you have any further information on this character, i.e. on backround, personality, abilities, his business contacts or traveling routes, etc. Esp. cormyr-related contacts would be of great interest to me.

Further I was wondering, if Alkenen is able to detect magic himself or if a friend or associate would check his goods for magic from time to time. Or could it be that Alkenen regularly sells magic items without him knowing so?

Ergdusch,

You're forcing me deep down the memory hole here, brother.

In my conception, Alkenen was what we might kindly term "touched," or what we might ungenerously call "nuts." He was about two degrees of separation from the crazy street preacher who shouts at clouds.

Given his state of mind (probably caused by either a head injury, narcotic usage as a younger man, or both) he didn't have much in the way of established routes, instead traveling the heartlands along whatever roads struck him as appropriate from moment to moment. In a way, that's helped his trade, in that he's been able to procure some true oddities from some out of the way places (it's also put him in considerable danger several times). Of course, he eventually tended to find his way back to the various cities/towns that served as the anchor points of his wanderings (Selgaunt, Saerloon, Daerlun, etc.).

He could probably spin a few interesting tales about life on the road if one could tolerate considerable tangential digressions during the telling. He's also a wealth of information about back roads and little known villages throughout Sembia and eastern Cormyr. He's got a lot of leagues under his boots and could be an extraordinary contact for a group of adventurers in the area.

He probably doesn't check his wares for enchantment with any regularity (again, owing to his state of mind and the fact that, deep down, he's really not so much a profiteer as a bit of a crazy old coot afflicted with wanderlust and a taste for oddball items). So sure, he could easily sell a magic item in ignorance.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 18 May 2010 08:46:40
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  21:50:05  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is proving to be a most excellent and informative scroll! Keep the lore coming
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  22:40:56  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THO on prominent Esparrin families

Cheers

Damian

Damian and Blueblade, I know that there were a dozen or so prominent families of Esparin, that eight or nine of them named themselves "lords and ladies" and that Sembia recognized and used such titles (largely to ingratiate themselves with those families on a face-to-face trading level, and secondly to anger Cormyr). My notes have the surnames of six of those families (all of whom still survive, scattered throughout the Fallen Stars lands, though most of those who dwell in Sembia changed their names generations ago to avoid Cormyrean attention), but I know nothing at all about them; we'll have to wait for Ed to put flesh on these bones, so to speak.
The names are: Baerungar, Bracegauntlet, Hasgram, Mornim, Naerbold, and Rook (that last one is pronounced to rhyme with "hook").
One of them (I know not which one) used a curved hunting horn (horizontal, with ends curving upwards, mouthpiece to the dexter) as its badge, but I don't know which one.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  23:27:43  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My pleasure, and I'm glad to have helped!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  15:52:35  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed on a noble Esparrin family becoming Cormyrian; buying land in Cormyr; and units of land measurement

Cheers

Damian
Hello again, all.

Damian, Ed confirms that you're quite right: the Bracegauntlets are the Esparin noble family that "made the jump" to the Cormyrean noble ranks (my addition: very probably for service to Cormyr's kings during the battles with Esparin, i.e. siding with Cormyr).

Joran, Ed says that most Crown land in Cormyr is given as a royal gift. The exceptions are urban properties no noble would want (i.e. a rotting warehouse near the docks) and places that the Crown wants settled (on the borders of the realm, i.e. along the border with Sembia, around the Bridge of Fallen Men, and [ahem] near the Stonelands, specifically from the overland trade-roads north to the Stonelands, to more heavily settle [and therefore secure] the lands north and northeast of the Hullack Forest as part of Cormyr). There is no "set price;" it varies by who's trying to buy, how much they're trying to buy, what the quality of that land is, for farming, and the location of the land (urban, close to good roads, close to large settlements versus remote) - - and of course the price has increased over time.
BTW, the "acre" is a term still slowly creeping into the Realms, thanks to Elminster ("hectare" is still unknown), and most properties in Cormyr would officially be measured in "chains" or "chainsquares" (the surveyor's chain being a linear measurement, and the "chainsquare" being a square area measurement consisting of one chain per side; chains rather than rigid "ruler"-like measures are used so as to be able to handle irregular shapes).
I'll try to get back to you with some typical prices.

And that's the daily roundup, thus far. I hope to make contact with Ed late tonight, after he gets home from work (shifts changed due to employee illness), so there MIGHT be more Realmslore forthcoming. Or not. Life is busy, folks.
love,
THO

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2909 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  23:40:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sample chapters of Elminster Must Die in Circle of Skulls, is full of Cormyr Realmslore...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  07:21:48  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

The sample chapters of Elminster Must Die in Circle of Skulls, is full of Cormyr Realmslore...

Thanks for the info, Brimstone!

I'll post this info on page 1. I assume it's 4th Edition though, right?

Have you any further insights on the cormyr-related lore found therein, that you might be willing to share with us (with spoiler warning if neccissary)?

Ergdusch

P.S.: Brings to my mind that Elminster in Hell gives us some cormyr-related lore as well in one or a few flashbacks of the old sage.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  13:11:06  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I was adding Brimstone's hint about the sample chapters of Elminster must die! to the 4th Ed. section on the first page, I remembered that the first 4th-Ed. adveture series (H1-3) had a Forgotten Realms Conversion placing it within the borders of Cormyr.

quote:
The Setting
In the Forgotten Realms setting, the town of Winterhaven — around which much of the adventure revolves — lies on the East Way between Arabel and Highmoon. The town is located deep in the Thunder Peaks, precariously situated at the edge of Sembia’s influence.
For its starting point alone the adventure is already cormyr-related. Further conversion facts support this, such as the name changes and some backround inforamtion.

Anyhow, you'll find the Forgotten Realms Conversion here and the direkt link to the pdf-file here.

I added both links to the first post under the 4th Ed. DDi articles-section.

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 11 May 2010 13:28:51
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2909 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  23:42:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Thanks for the info, Brimstone!

I'll post this info on page 1. I assume it's 4th Edition though, right?

Have you any further insights on the cormyr-related lore found therein, that you might be willing to share with us (with spoiler warning if neccissary)?

Ergdusch

P.S.: Brings to my mind that Elminster in Hell gives us some cormyr-related lore as well in one or a few flashbacks of the old sage.

PM sent. Yeah its 4E Cormyr.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll