Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Bruce R. Cordell
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BruceCordell
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

21 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2017 :  18:43:58  Show Profile  Visit BruceCordell's Homepage  Send BruceCordell an ICQ Message Send BruceCordell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Obviously, he wanted something to do with them at one point, since he wrote books for them.

Pretty sure WotC hasn't quite reached the level of enlightenment necessary to embrace hentacles, though.

Seriously, though, more than one past author has expressed interest in working with WotC again. Some have expressed a desire for a little more compensation for doing so, but I've seen more authors say they'd go back to the Realms than I have seen say they wouldn't.

I invested a decade in the Realms, both as a game designer and novel author (8 realms novels); I love the Realms. I'd be delighted to return if the terms were right. (But lest I get anyone's hopes up, I'm not seeing any signs that Wizards is interested in reviving their once-robust novel publishing department, which would include offering terms that I'd accept.)
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Learned Scribe

Colombia
259 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2017 :  13:52:00  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BruceCordell

1. They potentially could be, but Caiphon is the only Far Realms/Star Pact entity I specifically brought in. Depending on how things go in Key of Stars, there could be far more, and more explicitly.

This gives me a lot of ideas.

Thanks for your answer.

—Is there a catch?
—There's always a catch, life's a catch, so catch it while you can...
Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Learned Scribe

Colombia
259 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2017 :  18:07:49  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi again! (This seems like double post, but it isn't).

I was reading your "Wandering Stones" short-story, and I wonder: is this "countdown" that Arambar was doing to bid his time related somehow to the Second Sundering? Or is about another event? Though, I can't think of events as important as to making the spirit of an old primordial marking the time with so much care.

—Is there a catch?
Go to Top of Page

BruceCordell

21 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2017 :  17:27:02  Show Profile  Visit BruceCordell's Homepage  Send BruceCordell an ICQ Message Send BruceCordell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

I was reading your "Wandering Stones" short-story, and I wonder: is this "countdown" that Arambar was doing to bid his time related somehow to the Second Sundering? Or is about another event? Though, I can't think of events as important as to making the spirit of an old primordial marking the time with so much care.

Very much so, though I don't think events played out as Arambar hoped (if such a being can be said to have hopes and fears like mortals).

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Learned Scribe

Colombia
259 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2017 :  04:52:14  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see. Thanks, that gives me a few ideas.

—Is there a catch?
Go to Top of Page

Bragi
Seeker

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2017 :  21:10:59  Show Profile  Visit Bragi's Homepage  Send Bragi an AOL message  Send Bragi an ICQ Message  Send Bragi a Yahoo! Message Send Bragi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the great Forgotten Realms novels that you've written. I've recently been re-reading them in preparation for a new D&D campaign. It seems like I'm going to be creating a campaign that incorporates many of the settings and themes you have touched upon. I have a monk from Telflamm who practices Xiang Do, a star elf, a human druid from The Great Dale, a half-elf from Aglarond and several other characters. I'm trying to determine what 5e monastic tradition would best fit the Xiang Do martial arts form. Do you think a martial arts form from the PHB or maybe one of these forms from UA would be the most appropriate?

http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/M_2016_UAMonk1_12_12WKWT.pdf

My campaign is going to be set in 1358 DR which is before the novels but I'm trying to think of ways that players could encounter some younger versions of the characters that you have created. If you have any ideas please send them my way.

Thanks!

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of Erin
Go to Top of Page

BruceCordell

21 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2017 :  17:31:03  Show Profile  Visit BruceCordell's Homepage  Send BruceCordell an ICQ Message Send BruceCordell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bragi

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the great Forgotten Realms novels that you've written. I've recently been re-reading them in preparation for a new D&D campaign. It seems like I'm going to be creating a campaign that incorporates many of the settings and themes you have touched upon. I have a monk from Telflamm who practices Xiang Do, a star elf, a human druid from The Great Dale, a half-elf from Aglarond and several other characters. I'm trying to determine what 5e monastic tradition would best fit the Xiang Do martial arts form.

Thank you for the kind words, and that sounds great! I wish I could be more help, but the last few years I've been writing Numenera, The Strange, and Gods of the Fall. So I can't provide specific feedback because I'm out of touch with where 5E has gone since I left Wizards in 2013 to work for MCG. Good luck, I'm sure whatever you decide your players will enjoy it :).

brc
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13455 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2017 :  21:33:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow.
I've seen posts on FB about Numenera, but I have been involved in other projects (and companies), and although I didn't have the time to look deeper then, I do now, and wished I hadn't brushed it aside so easily (as I said, 'time constraints'). Plus I am sure YOU are aware of 'reading what others are doing' conundrum, while trying to do your own world-building ; influences may creep-in that you wouldn't want.

So now I just went looking for it (and learned that 'MCG' does NOT stand for 'Melbourne Cricket Grounds' ), and found THIS starter set for only $24.99.

The setting looks AMAZING, and I will be purchasing that forthwith.
Good Luck with all your endeavors BC - you and I have not always seen eye-to-eye (mostly on 'flavors'), but I've always felt you were an excellent writer, and wish you great success wherever life leads you.

Cheers --- Mark

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Apr 2017 21:34:56
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29904 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2017 :  02:09:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also ignored Numenara when it came out, but I'm getting into it now. And The Strange, as well. I've played a couple of sessions of the latter, the last two GenCons. I tried to sign up for a Numenara game, as well, but those filled up way too quickly.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BruceCordell

21 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2017 :  03:31:36  Show Profile  Visit BruceCordell's Homepage  Send BruceCordell an ICQ Message Send BruceCordell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys are great! Yeah, Numenera and The Strange (both Cypher System games, because they use the same underlying rule system) are pretty radical, in my humble opinion.

If you want to try them, maybe you can get in on a game at a local game store; we have a Cypher System organized play program, for which we're rolling into season 3. Check your local game stores to see if they support it, or if they want to:

https://www.montecookgames.com/monte-cook-game-announces-organized-play/

I've also continued to write novels. In fact, the novel I left Wizards to write (which turned into the game The Strange!) is finally finished and out just a week or so ago. Hardcover is coming in a couple days, softcover (trade paperback foramt) is out now (and ebooks, of course):

http://brucecordell.blogspot.com/2017/04/myth-of-maker-is-now-available.html

Take a look if you're interested :)

brc
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000