Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Can Elminster use spellfire?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  18:42:03  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
2 guys are arguing on another forum about this little detail, and im confused as to whether Elminster can really use spellfire or not?
One guy claims its a typo in several books meant only to be silverfire, etc
I thoguht Elminster actually could use it

They are debating who would win between Larloch and Elminster and listing off abilities, etc

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  18:54:25  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
June 16, 2006

quote:
Ed replies:

Elminster figured out how to manipulate the Weave to call forth spellfire. Any of the Chosen who became sufficiently attuned to the Weave (by using it for centuries), and took the time to experiment and study, could theoretically duplicate what Elminster did, and end up with spellfire too.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  19:58:00  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that Elminster is said to use spellfire in "Elminster in Hell"
His capability is quoted twice in "Seven sisters" (the sourcebook)

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 17 Jul 2007 20:21:14
Go to Top of Page

Drew
Acolyte

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  22:02:38  Show Profile  Visit Drew's Homepage Send Drew a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just absorb a balhiir and you can have spellfire too!

The noblest fate a man can endure is to place his body between the home he loves, and wars desolation.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  22:42:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been used by him in one of the short stories in the Realms of anthologies. Forgot which one.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  01:27:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, from Ed's Shandril of Spellfire, And Why I Decided Not To Destroy Her article -

"So hearken, and learn of spellfire and the lass who most recently bore it. Learn not as we of the Chosen command it, which is as something bound up in Mystra's silver fire and feared even by us for its potential for undoing and going wild and wreaking havoc, but as wild and willful as anything a proud youngling can hurl at the world to make that world take notice and grant respect."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  12:27:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Crown of Fire" confirms that Elminster can use it by the grace of Mystra, but using it "taxes him overmuch".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  20:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

It's been used by him in one of the short stories in the Realms of anthologies. Forgot which one.

Is it not "Realms of Elves " ?

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 18 Jul 2007 20:39:10
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  22:19:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Is it not "Realms of Elves " ?

Nah, it was one of the older Realms of anthologies.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2007 :  17:22:14  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found part of the answer to this common question. It comes from All things Magical sourcebook (TSR 9535), p. 87 :
"Elminster and the other Chosen of Mystra wield a similar silver fire, and at least Elminster and Khelben can also use spellfire itself, but these are abilities Mystra gave to them, not things they requested.)."

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  09:13:11  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I found part of the answer to this common question. It comes from All things Magical sourcebook (TSR 9535), p. 87 :

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH - Mystra save us! The banned book was quoted! Put him to the stick! Burn him and cast his ashes in all four winds!

Edit note: I appologies for not adding anything of substance to the discussion! But I think the topic has been answered sufficiantly and I would not be able to bring in any new details that matter.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 07 Aug 2007 09:30:43
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  09:23:06  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH - Mystra save us! The banned book was quoted! Put him to the stick! Burn him and cast his ashes in all four winds!

Did I miss something ?
What do you want to say ?

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  09:42:20  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I believe you qouted from Volos guide to all things magical?!? Am I right so far? If so, you have to know the back ground story to that book to understand what I ment - which was ment as a joke, of course.

Read this, copied from a reply from the Marco.... Volo? thread here at Candlekeep. The important part is in bold:

THO revealed this little tidbit about the current activities of Volo:-

"As for Volo: I once heard Volo called the “Geraldo Rivera of the Realms,” but I think that’s a trifle unfair to the real Mr. Rivera. Volo is a young, amoral rogue itching with the need to learn secrets and trumpet them to the world. A minor mage and major rogue, he wanders Faerun penning acidic travel guides (the Volo’s Guides, which are available as downloads and are ESSENTIAL to making a Realms campaign seem colourful and ‘real’). There’s even a Volo’s Guide to Baldur’s Gate II, which was meant to go with the computer game. Volo went so far as to write a book entitled Volo’s Guide To All Things Magical, and was threatened (by various wizards) with dire consequences if it was ever published.
Inevitably, it was, and as a result Volo (for his own protection, the Old Mage insists) spent some time as an ornamental frog sculpture in Elminster’s pond.
He’s free again now, and I fear we’ve all not heard the last from Volo. :}"

Got my meaning?! (always bad to have to explain a joke, though )

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 07 Aug 2007 09:45:18
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  09:42:38  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yet another example can be found in the "story of spellfire" sidebar on page 52 of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, which states that in addition to silver fire, some among Mystra's Chosen can wield true spellfire.

This particular notation, along with the myriad of previous game edition and novel citations, is of special noteworthiness in that it comes from a 3E rules sourcebook, and therefore can be used to bludgeon all the nay-sayers and rules edition fascists who somehow manage to conjure and propagate the notion that something is only "true" in the realms if it can be found in a 3rd edition sourcebook, whereas everything else is considered "obsolete". (Indeed, several trolls on the WoTC boards employ this tactic nauseatingly often in the myriad of "how best to kill Elminster?" type threads)
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  16:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Did I miss something ?

I'm surprised Wooly didn't jump at the chance to remind everyone of the former status of this particular "Volo's Guide."

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  18:31:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:

quote:

quote:

Did I miss something ?

I'm surprised Wooly didn't jump at the chance to remind everyone of the former status of this particular "Volo's Guide."

I think everyone else covered the fact that Volo's Guide to All Things Magical is formerly a suppressed work.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  01:39:54  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

2 guys are arguing on another forum about this little detail, and im confused as to whether Elminster can really use spellfire or not?
One guy claims its a typo in several books meant only to be silverfire, etc
I thoguht Elminster actually could use it They are debating who would win between Larloch and Elminster and listing off abilities, etc

simple answer yep. answer to second question, depends on the dice rolls
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000