Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Thayan Titles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  04:40:53  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This is a thought,
I'm soon to be running a one shot, and I would like to make sure I use the correct titles. The game will be in Thay, and I need to know the correct title for someone approximately as powerful as a baron.
I'd also like pointed in the direction of any other titles around as well.

Thanks in advance
/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  07:05:14  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkmeer

This is a thought,
I'm soon to be running a one shot, and I would like to make sure I use the correct titles. The game will be in Thay, and I need to know the correct title for someone approximately as powerful as a baron.
I'd also like pointed in the direction of any other titles around as well.

Thanks in advance
/d

Outside the Red Wizards, the only titles that I am aware of are Tharchion/Tharchioness (ruler of a Thayvian province) and Autarch/Autarchess (rules of a sub-region in the name of a Tharchion), and Daeron/Daeroness. If you are looking for the equivalent of a baron, Autarch is probably your best bet.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  20:54:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Daeron and Daeroness are the general terms for Thayan nobility (thus, a Tharchion is also a Daeron, but a Daeron isn't necessarily a Tharchion). Then there's the Zulkirs who are masters of the 8 schools of magic.
This next isn't canon, but I also used a title for wizards who were heading up studies in some of the alternative studies of magic in 2nd edition. I called them the Aulkirs, and it included schools of elementalism, shadow magic, and a runic/glyph oriented caster. Of course, with 3rd edition, there'd be a lot of openings for various Aulkirs (one who deals with force magic <i.e. argent savants>, one who trains warrior mages, one who trains mage/thieves. In second edition, I gave these Aulkirs a partial vote on the council of Zulkirs, but with 3rd edition, I think I'd stick to the Aulkir being something akin to a "knighting" of sorts. The Aulkirs would ally themselves with certain Zulkirs, and in return the Zulkirs would see to it that their discipline is granted monies to continue their research, etc.... Thus, the Zulkirs don't give up any power whatsoever, and if an Aulkir over a certain discipline becomes haughty enough that he must be eliminated, it doesn't affect the country's politics heavily.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  03:32:54  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many thanks,
I think I'm going to go with the Autarch... this should make for an interesting background.

Many thanks.
/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000