Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Erevis Cale???
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2007 :  18:51:30  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have just ordered the Erevis Cale trilogy on Amazon (on strong recomendations from serveral others in here). When reading the reviews they mentioned that he appeared in the Sembia books as well. How crucial is it for me to read them first?

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2007 :  21:49:43  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be a good idea to read the novel "Shadow's Witness" first, before reading that trilogy. It's not absoloutely necessary, but it'll give you a better idea of the character and his past. Not to mention, the book is extremely good.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2007 :  00:41:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, it's not crucial to have read the Sembia books first (especially since only a few are really important for understanding Cale's character growth), but it would be helpful. And yes, the Sembia series is mostly good, although I think the Erevis Cale series is better.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2007 :  04:36:21  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not read the sembia series yet and I had absolutely no problems.
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2007 :  08:54:05  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spoilers -------------------------------------------------------------

Well - I think that starting from the beginning gives a better understanding of the changes Erevis made - from assassin to a unwilling Chosen of Mask. The necessity only applies if you want get a better grip for the character(s) - Riven the other chosen and Jak the Halfling are very good established also.

To get the flair go for it first, but I for example could never wait until the books would be in my hands - I would "peek" before

Go to Top of Page

Vexxan
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2007 :  07:22:20  Show Profile  Visit Vexxan's Homepage Send Vexxan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the Erevis Cale trilogy first and then backtracked to read Shadow's Witness. I already have a good understanding of the characters... and I feel like I'm looking back on the lives of old friends. I don't see any problem doing it this way either, if you wanted to delve into Shadow's Witness afterwards like a prelude.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000