Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The Barae of Mezro - Help wiith this order
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  13:35:56  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fellow scribes,

I know that there are seven champions of Ubato, chosen by their god, which defend the holy city of Mezro.

Has anybody more information about them?

Thanks already - I know that you can help

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  15:47:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See the Jungles of Chult adventure module.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  17:30:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or the book The Ring of Winter. 'Twas a Harpers novel, and is one of my personal faves.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  23:55:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Or the book The Ring of Winter. 'Twas a Harpers novel, and is one of my personal faves.

Yes, that was a good book, and worth tracking down online.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  01:58:12  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first Bara of Ubtao is a young Tabaxi girl named Oyai. Look to the upcoming GHotR for more information.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  04:04:27  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so far.

I must admit, that I didn't thougt about The Ring of winter

As I don't have the Jungles of Chult - maybe anybody who can give me the actual seven names at least. (We get the first Bara - thanks Brain )

Do you see a chance, that the barae have time or leassure to go adventuring in Chult - or are their activities restricted for the city?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  05:48:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Note, Brian's reference regarding Oyai refers to the first Bara of Ubtao in historical sources. The seven Barae, as noted in Jungles of Chult are:-

- Osaw
- Kwalu
- Dhlamass Rayburton
- Alisandra Rayburton
- Mainu
- Fipya
- Ras Ni

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Jun 2007 05:51:02
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  11:26:24  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Loremaster Most High !

Always a pleasure to get so many and quick replies - I really enjoy posting here
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  15:09:58  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Note, Brian's reference regarding Oyai refers to the first Bara of Ubtao in historical sources. The seven Barae, as noted in Jungles of Chult are:-

- Osaw
- Kwalu
- Dhlamass Rayburton
- Alisandra Rayburton
- Mainu
- Fipya
- Ras Ni

BTW Ras Nsi is now in exile. He was exiled after exterminating the Eshowe and he opposed the opening of the city in 1363 and continues to oppose Osaw. He hopes to one day reclaim the city with his army of undead and drive out all foreigners.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  22:41:38  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ras Nsi is on my short list of NPCs that I would love to scare the heck out of my players with. He's one of those definately evil, but with a purpose, and willing to talk before killing, kind of villains thats fun to have the PCs meet and realize they have to tread carefully around.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  03:27:00  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Ras Nsi is on my short list of NPCs that I would love to scare the heck out of my players with. He's one of those definately evil, but with a purpose, and willing to talk before killing, kind of villains thats fun to have the PCs meet and realize they have to tread carefully around.

If you do it, make sure you give us the details, I would love to see what you do with him.

Xysma's Gallery

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  13:29:22  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

If you do it, make sure you give us the details, I would love to see what you do with him.

I second this reply Always I’m looking for new ways to make my roll-playing sessions interesting – If you are willing to share some ideas – splendid.

Another question to Xysma –exile means Ras Ni hasn’t been replaced in Mezro? As I understood the role of the champions of Ubato, they have to defend the city…

Well maybe I have to look out for Jungles of Chult now

Edited by - Matthus on 13 Jun 2007 13:30:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  13:54:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

Another question to Xysma –exile means Ras Ni hasn’t been replaced in Mezro? As I understood the role of the champions of Ubato, they have to defend the city…

You don't have to be in a place to defend it. It's up to Ubtao to strip his barae of power, if he feels they're not doing their job -- and he has done so, in the past. We don't know how Ubtao feels about Nsi's actions, but the fact that Ubtao hasn't stripped him of his bara status shows that he accepts those actions, even if he doesn't necessarily condone them.

Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  14:32:32  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote
You don't have to be in a place to defend it. It's up to Ubtao to strip his barae of power, if he feels they're not doing their job -- and he has done so, in the past. We don't know how Ubtao feels about Nsi's actions, but the fact that Ubtao hasn't stripped him of his bara status shows that he accepts those actions, even if he doesn't necessarily condone them.
[/quote]

I agree, there are many places to do the job - but this here stirs the hunger for more lore - or reading the Ring of Winter again. I only dimly remember – discussing the topic lets pop up some crumbs – wasn’t the story of Ras Ni in the novel?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  14:46:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I only dimly remember – discussing the topic lets pop up some crumbs – wasn’t the story of Ras Ni in the novel?

I think part of it was... It's been a few years since I've read that one.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2007 :  00:32:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I agree, and it's important to rememeber that Ubtao is Neutral.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2007 :  04:23:02  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I only dimly remember – discussing the topic lets pop up some crumbs – wasn’t the story of Ras Ni in the novel?

I think part of it was... It's been a few years since I've read that one.

I'm actually reading that one now so I'll refresh your memory when I get to that part.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  01:59:58  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, with all of the recent ring of winter topics, I grabbed my copy off of the old book shelf and started re-reading this novel.

I believe Ras Ni was one of the original 7 Paladins. There is a bit about it in the novel yes.

Edited by - scererar on 10 Jul 2007 02:39:16
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  20:20:57  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More information about the Barae of Mezro from The Ring of Winter.

Osaw- The King of Mezro, Osaw became a bara when he was 85 years old, hence his aged appearance. Osaw has been a bara for 1500 years. Ubtao granted Osaw the power to remember everything he sees or hears.

Kwalu- Kwalu is the son of Osaw, and a strong warrior. Kwalu has been a bara for about 100 years. He has the power to create a ravenous swarm of locusts that devour anything in their path.

Dhlamass Rayburton- One of the five founders and the first president of the Society of Stalwart Adventurers, Rayburton journeyed to Chult in search of the Ring of Winter. He is the first non-Tabaxi to become a bara. He has been a bara for about 1200 years. His Ubtao granted power is to comprehend and converse in any language.

Alisanda Rayburton- Dhlamass' daughter. "Sanda" has been a bara for about 500 years. Ubtao granted her the power to possess warm-blooded animals, including the mighty Children of Ubtao.

Mainu - Mainu, she of the golden eyes, was given control over the water of the Olung River

Ras T'Fima- Has been a bara for 1500 years. He was given the power to control the weather.

Ras Nsi- One of the first seven chosen of Ubtao, Ras Nsi was given the power to muster the dead.

Xysma's Gallery

Edited by - Xysma on 13 Jul 2007 05:00:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  20:44:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ras T'Fima- Has been a bara for 1500 years. He was given the power to control the weather.

It should be noted that (spoiler, highlight to read) T'fima was stripped of his bara status. (/spoiler)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Jul 2007 20:45:06
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  04:21:24  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It should be noted that (spoiler, highlight to read) T'fima was stripped of his bara status. (/spoiler)

Good catch Wooly, that's what I get for posting before I finished the book. Which brings us to Fipya from The Sage's post. I have to assume she is the unnamed young girl from The Ring of Winter. The youngest bara, she was given the power to control plants.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  05:37:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Good catch Wooly, that's what I get for posting before I finished the book. Which brings us to Fipya from The Sage's post. I have to assume she is the unnamed young girl from The Ring of Winter. The youngest bara, she was given the power to control plants.

Heh, I'm glad I hid the spoiler, then.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  15:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Heh, I'm glad I hid the spoiler, then.

Me too, at the time of your post I had no idea and was mere pages away from that revelation.

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  23:38:19  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Xysma,

your reply just kindled my appetite to read the Ring again. But so many projects are waiting and it seems this book has to wait some more – at least it is nice to have your answer to the original question!

If it is ok for you I will put this information into the topic http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7843 . Please let me know if you mind. Thanks in every case.
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  04:58:16  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hey Xysma,

your reply just kindled my appetite to read the Ring again. But so many projects are waiting and it seems this book has to wait some more – at least it is nice to have your answer to the original question!

If it is ok for you I will put this information into the topic http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7843 . Please let me know if you mind. Thanks in every case.

Sure thing, glad I could help, I love that thread!

Xysma's Gallery

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000