Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Boats, Ships, and other Vessels
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2007 :  21:02:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Blue Diamond is mentioned in the 2e CS, but since it is a flying ship I'm not sure if it's appropriate.

Perhaps a seperate list for known flyers?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Jul 2007 21:02:41
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2007 :  20:03:23  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found one more.
in "The ring of winter"
The two Wombats arrived on Chult territory when the boat they were sunk... OK, the boat exists no more but if you start a party before the present day... *cough*...

It is... was the Rampage, which type and owner is unknown at this point of my reading !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 04 Aug 2007 18:01:36
Go to Top of Page

Lawfire
Acolyte

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2007 :  05:57:25  Show Profile  Visit Lawfire's Homepage Send Lawfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the novel, The Veiled Dragon:

The Storm Sprite out of Cormyr - Captain Fowler - (Sunk by a dracolich).

Ginger Lady, a Shou Ship (not sure on exact port of call.)

Faerun Roleplaying
http://www.faerunrp.com/forum/index.php

Edited by - Lawfire on 04 Aug 2007 06:01:06
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  16:43:44  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Ports of Ravens Bluff, p.16 : The Princess Carbella, a versatile boat owned by Brill Kilmer. "an 80' clipper
moored at the end of a pier, equipped with a special removable crane and block and tackle for hauling heavy items up from the sea bottom or bringing in heavy nets"

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  22:26:53  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was a ship mentioned in the first chapters of "Yellow Silk". IIRC it was sunk though. If anyone would check on that - my book is at a friends house, so I cannot do so myself.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  01:06:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you referring to the "Lady Swan," Erg? 'Twas a caravel, out of the port of Telflamm in Thesk.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  11:00:04  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Are you referring to the "Lady Swan," Erg? 'Twas a caravel, out of the port of Telflamm in Thesk.

Niw you ask me something.........? If I would only recall te name!??? Only thing I remember from the top of my head is, that the brother or so of the main character or so was on it. Not much so someone would have to check it out really!

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  13:05:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was... I checked earlier this morning.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  16:08:40  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It was... I checked earlier this morning.

Why don't you just say so form the beginning, than??

Anyhow, at least it's settled than: The Lady Swan - caravel, out of the port of Telflamm in Thesk, source: Yellow Silk

Edited by - Ergdusch on 08 Aug 2007 16:11:18
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  16:47:41  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't recall the name, but there's a rather famous shipwreck off the coast of Calimshan in EMPIRES OF THE SHINING SEA. Wish I could scour out all the ship names and such for you there, but there's very few. I suspect I put all my ship-naming info into SEA OF FALLEN STARS.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  18:39:20  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Can't recall the name, but there's a rather famous shipwreck off the coast of Calimshan in EMPIRES OF THE SHINING SEA.
Steven

Do you speak about the Pasha's Palace (EotSS, p.89)

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 08 Aug 2007 18:40:24
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  20:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Passage to Dawn (Forgotten Realms)

This book also contains time on the ship Sea Sprite, and battles with pirate ships, which are well done. I also enjoyed the new characters of the wizard Cadderly and his wife Danica, although their appearance was short.

Cheeking into it, what about Haluran sky ships

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  20:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

I also enjoyed the new characters of the wizard Cadderly and his wife Danica, although their appearance was short.

Isn't Cadderly a priest of Deneir ? even a Chosen of this deity.
Why do you write "new character" ? Cadderly isn't new in the novels, he was the hero of a pentalogy before "playing" with Drizzt in Passage to dawn.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  21:53:38  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

I also enjoyed the new characters of the wizard Cadderly and his wife Danica, although their appearance was short.

Isn't Cadderly a priest of Deneir ? even a Chosen of this deity.
Why do you write "new character" ? Cadderly isn't new in the novels, he was the hero of a pentalogy before "playing" with Drizzt in Passage to dawn.

Sorry it have been a long day, it should have said:

The ship Sea Spriteform the novel Passage to dawn

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 08 Aug 2007 21:54:23
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  05:47:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Old Empires (Chessenta secection)-

"The Wraith of the Inner Sea-

This is a fleet of four ships that serve as privateers along the coast of Chessenta. Their commander is the half-orc "Sea Queen" Kreodo, who is documented in the 'Personalities' section. Her ships are the following:

Sea Queen (dromond): 200 Crew, 50 Marines, and eight 3rd-level mages and five 6th-level mages. This Kreodo's flagship, captained by Kreodo herself. The first mate is Rutters (8th-level fighter).
Sea Horse (dromond): 200 Crew, 30 Marines, and five 4th-level mages and one 9th-level mage. This ship is commanded by Captain Morgalshym (11thlevel thief), and its first mate is Brawn (8th-level fighter). The mage is Curnetheres, an outlaw of Luthcheq who decided to join the crew to get revenge against the city.
Sea Jewel (dromond): 200 Crew, 100 Marines, and three 5th-level mages. This ship is a heavy marine support vessel. Its captain is Bendensar (6th-level thief), ex-thieves#146; guild assistant of Mordulkin, and his first mate is Lorien (5thlevel mage), a female elf who ran away from Yuirwood for a life of adventure.
Sea Quest (dromond): 200 Crew, 50 Marines, and two 7th-level mages. This is a fast attack vessel whose mages have gust of wind spells for the sails; the ship has a reinforced hull for ramming. This vessel is meant to cut off a ship if it tries to flee. Its captain is Sturion (10th-level fighter) and his first mate is Perithor (7th-level fighter). When the Sea Queen#146;s fleet gets within attack range of a vessel, they fly her colors (a black crown against a blood red field) and attack. Their favorite tactic is to try to surround their prey from all sides, then close in for the kill."

I know I saw another list of ships within the last day or so - I'll try to remember where I saw them and post them as well.

EDIT: Found in VGtC -

In Suzail:
Crown of Cormyr is a massive floating palace. It is often used by the royal family to relax away from the eyes of the Court or to entertain guests in secret.
Dragon- Cormyr's largest warship, is well equipped with ballistae and firepothurlers.
Blade of Espar - small coastal runner
Lance of Wheloon - small coastal runner

In Marsember:
Ansiber's Wrath is a particularly decrepit, leaky old galleon.
Sea Snake - a large and well-armed war caravel
Thomdor's Fist - a large and well-armed war caravel

In Sarshel (Impiltur):
Rilaunyr's Warship was once known as the scourge of the Easting Reach. The ship herself is a three-masted ninety-footer. She carries a sailing crew of thirty, and a hundred fighting marines. Mini-ballistae line her ironbound sides; a catapult shoots from the flying deck in the rear, and two massive ballistae are directed over the prow. The real power of Rilaunyr's Warship lies in magic. When fully manned, she carries six magic-users, levels 7-13, and a complement of twelve clerics of Poseidon, one of whom is a 15th level high priest.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Aug 2007 09:46:17
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  09:56:59  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

clerics of Poseidon

Now, that are news to me! I never heard that Poseidon was a deity in the Realms?!?! Does some sage know more to clarify the matter?

Edited by - Ergdusch on 09 Aug 2007 09:58:01
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  20:35:11  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read about Poseidon in FR by reading an article about Lady of pain.
I read that "she may be the daughter of Poseidon from the Greek Pantheon of Arborea. However this is not made clear and even suggested that the memories of her early life released from an amphora may have been faked by the god himself in order to potentially sway the Protector of the Cage towards his way of thinking".

I also saw that Poseidon was writen about in Monstrous Compendium Annual Vol. I.. But I could not verify it.
However, it is not a FR-sourcebook.

About clerics of Poseidon : Nothing to deal with Torilian deities. That's just a general-D&D god
Poseidon :
Great Tsunami, Lord of Waves
Greater Deity
Symbol: Trident
Homeplane: Arborea-Aquallor
Alignment: CN
Portfolio: Seas, rivers, and earthquakes
Worshippers: Fishers, sailors, sea creatures
Cleric Alignments: CG, CN, CE
Domains: Water, Chaos, Earth, Storm, Destruction, Weather
Favored Weapon: Um, duh!
Cleric Training: Poseidon’s clerics must learn how to swim, and how to stay upright while in a magically stimulated earthquake.
Quests: Clerics of Poseidon protect the oceans and help earthquake victims. Some (the CE ones) may destroy ships and kill the crews if they feel the crew disrespected Poseidion.
Prayers: Ussually mentions Poseidon’s greatness before asking for something “Lord of the Waves, Great Tsunami, Earth-Shaker, we bow before you!”
Temples: Always open to the sea.
Rites: Often sacrifices to placate the deities temper.
Proxies and Allies: Lord Polyphemos, a male storm giant Barbarian 20, Druid 20, Spirit Shaman 20, Favored Soul 20.

La brute.com

Edited by - Fillow on 09 Aug 2007 20:55:07
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2007 :  19:18:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if Bryan is bothering with this anymore, but I found a few more in the 1e CS -

The Ratclaw - an independent Caravel out of Selgaunt.
The Unbolden - a full-rigged cog out of Telpir
The Bloody Umber - a "sailrig" (large wooden raft fitted with a trisail and sweeps) coaster.

All three were lost in in Ches of 1357.

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Aug 2007 19:19:27
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  02:10:00  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again for the update folks. The updated the master list at the beginning of the thread, including the following new vessels:

• Blackasyre’s Revenge - Striker [Waterdeep], Master Rhantaeros Naullaer - Source : Ed Greenwood/Candlekeep

• Floating Axe - Striker [Waterdeep], Captain Torsan “Burntbeard” Hailstone - Source : Ed Greenwood/Candlekeep

• Mount Waterdeep - Cog [Waterdeep], Master Ghorkan Daznar - Source : Ed Greenwood/Candlekeep

• North Wind - Cog [Waterdeep] - Source : Ed Greenwood/Candlekeep

• Mount Sar - Cog [Waterdeep] - Source : Ed Greenwood/Candlekeep

• Mount Araddyn - Cog [Waterdeep] - Source : Ed Greenwood/Candlekeep

• Mount Hellimbrar - Cog [Waterdeep] - Source : Ed Greenwood/Candlekeep

• War Whelkin - cog(heavily modified) [Waterdeep], Captain Dallance Askalur - Source : FRMS/Jerry Davis

• Welleran - Carrack [Suzail], Flagship of Royal Navy in 1360 DR - Source : Ed Greenwood/Candlekeep

• Filfaeril - Fast Galleon [Suzail] - Source : VGtC p.16

• Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
    Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
    Master of Realmslore

Denmark
    1072 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  14:24:03  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Greetings all here at this thread.

I gathered all the information here and saved it on another thread, I hope that you wouldent be offended if I saved the information gathered here so it wouldn’t get lost

Vic

At the bottom of :

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies - Orders in FR
    http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9612

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 28 Aug 2007 14:29:29
    Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
    15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2008 :  19:18:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Here’s some more I came across recently –

From Twilight Falling:

Foamrider –Merchant Cog out of Sembia, Captain Mres Liis

From Empires of the Shining Sea:

Scarlet Picaro – Pirate vessel w/ram operating in southern waters, Captained by sorceress Sabira the Wicked
    Scimitar of Fire – fast Caravel w/2 Ballista, captained by Raurivyl Ornshield, pirate activities between Amn and Calimshan
    Sea Witch – Privateer operating between Amn and Maztica, captained by woman Mala
    Umberlee’s Wake – Cutter operating around Calimshan, owned by the Rundeen sponsored Bloody Buccaneers, Captain = Jhamil al Tassand
    Water Weird – Cutter operating around Calimshan, owned by the Rundeen sponsored Bloody Buccaneers, Captain = Jafar

I had a least one more from a novel, but I can’t find the book now.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Mar 2008 19:20:57
    Go to Top of Page

Fillow
    Master of Realmslore

France
    1608 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  20:43:47  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Is this project dropped?

Here are few data from my last 4E readings :
    Queen Gantharla, Imperial navy of Cormyr, 1479DR - Dragon magazine #365, p.20
    Steel Princess, Imperial navy of Cormyr, 1479DR - Dragon magazine #365, p.20
    The Argus Treader, a fishing ship from Szant, commanded by Captain Madwave - 1479DR - Dragon magazine #366, p.52

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
    Learned Scribe

USA
    313 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2008 :  22:50:58  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    How about:

The Bunyip- source: The Threat From The Sea Novels by Mel Odom.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 09 Oct 2008 22:51:31
    Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
    15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2009 :  16:55:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I hope we are still going with this...

Found two more, whilst looking through a rather obscure source (or rather, one that I was unaware until recently was FR-canon).

Complete Book of Necromancers, pg. 45:

Retaliator - a 'Nelantherease' Caravel, once a pirate ship, but changed in that vingette to a 'ghost ship' (current status unknown).

Pennance - Not described, other then having at least one 'below deck'. Captained by George Toal out of Waterdeep.

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Feb 2009 16:56:11
    Go to Top of Page

scererar
    Master of Realmslore

USA
    1618 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  13:22:21  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I wonder how many of these ships are now a part of Mistshore

Scererar ducks and runs for cover as numerous FRCG's are thrown his way
    Go to Top of Page

Fillow
    Master of Realmslore

France
    1608 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  20:51:44  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I found The Green Siren in the Plague of Spells novel.

But I really wonder if Brian is still at work with this old project ?

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
    Master of Realmslore

USA
    1714 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2012 :  20:59:00  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    There were actually two different vessels named Sea Sprite:

Sea Sprite [ I ] - Little two-master - The Halfling's Gem, Passage to Dawn, "Stone of Tymora".

Sea Sprite [ II ] - Larger, three-masted schooner pirate-hunter; Long, slender, light; Lion-headed ram for figurehead; Armor-plated; Ballista astern & catapult; Triangular lateen sails; Name painted on the side - Passage to Dawn, The Spine of the World, Sea of Swords, The Pirate King.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
    --Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
    Go to Top of Page

Dennis
    Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2012 :  02:26:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

From The Watercourse Trilogy:

Everwind - A 'cargo' ship. After it met an ill fate in a portal, its name was aptly changed to Neverwind.

Jie Zuo - means Masterpiece in Common.

Every beginning has an end.
    Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
    15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  19:00:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Devawing - unknown ship-type presumably from the Moonsea region, captained by Ogril. Mentioned in the preface-blurb at the top of page 18 of the 2e The Moonsea product.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
    Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
    1098 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2013 :  16:17:06  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    In the end WotC wasn't interested in the project I was gathering this research for, but as a Realms fan I still find this type of lore to be valuable. So please continue to post your findings if you wish.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Previous Page | Next Page
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000