Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tarkomang, Lord of Tethyamar?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  18:27:47  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
HI all,

Was just checking out the character class profiles* for warlocks over at the WOTC website, and they mentioned something about a coven of worghest and goblin warlocks in the Mines of Tethyamar that follow/worship a gigantic barghest called Tarkomang.

Has this fellow ever been mentioned anywhere else, and if so, where? I'm a big barghest fan, and I would love to know more about this brute. I get the idea that he's on the verge of becoming an arch-fiend for some reason. Her certainly sounds like a unique fiend (they had to hollow out a small mountain just to provide him with a lair? How big is this thing? For that matter, how big are the Mines themselves? I always got the idea that they were one complex, not a whole network of them).

Thanks for any info on Tarko and other barghests of the Realms.

Until swords part!

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  20:01:03  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I created Tarkomang in the Warlock article. He was inspired by Eric Boyd's work in Dragon Magazine on the Planetouched of the Realms, specifically of worghests.

The Mines of Tethyamar were a dwarven realm that fell relatively recently. My impression of dwarven realms is that they generally include both large caverns and numerous tunnels, so that was how I picture Tethyamar.

Tarkomang is enormous and voraciously hungry for souls. Whether or not he's on the verge of achieving some higher stats, I can't say due to NDAs, but I do have future plans for him and his despicable minions.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 19 May 2007 20:02:18
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  16:26:26  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

I created Tarkomang in the Warlock article. He was inspired by Eric Boyd's work in Dragon Magazine on the Planetouched of the Realms, specifically of worghests.

The Mines of Tethyamar were a dwarven realm that fell relatively recently. My impression of dwarven realms is that they generally include both large caverns and numerous tunnels, so that was how I picture Tethyamar.

Tarkomang is enormous and voraciously hungry for souls. Whether or not he's on the verge of achieving some higher stats, I can't say due to NDAs, but I do have future plans for him and his despicable minions.

Sorry it took me so blasted long to respond. May I know the wrath of a thousand Pain Devils in the afterlife, etc.

If I wanted to write up Tarkomang right now, what would you suggest as the best way to go about it in pure stat block terms? A lot of it depends on how tough I want the players to be when they meet him, of course, but I had the idea of a maximum HD barghest, or maybe a little better, with several warlock levels at the very least.

And it's good to hear that we'll see more of Tarkomang in the future. Any word yet on where this information will be found when it becomes available? In print or online?

And thanks for the information on Tethyamar. Sounds like I could set a whole campaign in and around the mines and the related fortresses.

Thanks again for what you passed along, Mister Bernstein.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  23:03:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

And thanks for the information on Tethyamar. Sounds like I could set a whole campaign in and around the mines and the related fortresses.
Sources for Tethyamar:-

- The magic item Grimjaw in DRAGON Magazine #89, p. 18 (reprinted in FR4 and Encyclopedia Magical Vol. 3)
- 1e FRCS, Cyclopedia of the Realms, p. 54
- FR11 - Dwarves Deep, p. 58-60 and 64
- FR13 - Anauroch, p. 5 -- I thought about suggesting that the dwarves of Tethyamar could perhaps be related to the part dwarven d'tarig.
- DRAGON Magazine #184, p. 24
- 2e FRCS: A Grand Tour of the Realms, p. 8, 33, 37, 41, 50, 63, 124
- 2e FRCS: Running the Realms, p. 14-18, 21
- The Dalelands, p. 48 and 57
- Ruins of Zhentil Keep, p. 7, 27-30
- Cormanthyr, p. 32-40
- Demihuman Deities, p. 61
- Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark, p. 74,
- DRAGON Magazine #277, p. 90
- 3e FRCS, p. 127, 138, 162, 267, 268-271
- Lords of Darkness (3e), p. 103-107
- Lost Empires of Faerun
- Grand History of the Realms

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  23:10:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was also a bit of fiction about Tethyamar posted on the Wizards site around 2000 or so... While I'm sure it's still there (I can find other articles posted at the same time), I've not been able to figure out where on the website it's hidden.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  23:21:54  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There was also a bit of fiction about Tethyamar posted on the Wizards site around 2000 or so... While I'm sure it's still there (I can find other articles posted at the same time), I've not been able to figure out where on the website it's hidden.

Hey Wooly...was that fiction a write-up of a refounded Tethyamar, or a short story format?

I have a "refounded Tethyamar" write-up...but I would really be interested if what you are talking about is a Short Story or something.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  23:50:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's apparently a myth about the dwarves of Tethyamar coming into contact with the Nether Scrolls. That's about all I know about it, because I can't find the original file, nor have I even seen what the file name was (if I had just the original file name, that'd put me a long way towards finding the file).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  23:53:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... it sounds familiar. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near my electronic archives -- otherwise I'd perform a search. There's likely a saved copy in there somewhere, I just can't get to it right now.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  03:33:26  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

Sorry it took me so blasted long to respond. May I know the wrath of a thousand Pain Devils in the afterlife, etc.

If I wanted to write up Tarkomang right now, what would you suggest as the best way to go about it in pure stat block terms? A lot of it depends on how tough I want the players to be when they meet him, of course, but I had the idea of a maximum HD barghest, or maybe a little better, with several warlock levels at the very least.

And it's good to hear that we'll see more of Tarkomang in the future. Any word yet on where this information will be found when it becomes available? In print or online?

Thanks again for what you passed along, Mister Bernstein.

No worries. If you wanted to stat up Tarkomang, I'd look at the Ethereal Defiler in MMV. It has abilities that stack with a warlocks. You could work out something similar with a heavily advanced Barghest. You could also apply the paragon template. I can't really comment more on future plans with Tarkomang.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 09 Nov 2007 03:33:59
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  07:32:41  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's apparently a myth about the dwarves of Tethyamar coming into contact with the Nether Scrolls. That's about all I know about it, because I can't find the original file, nor have I even seen what the file name was (if I had just the original file name, that'd put me a long way towards finding the file).

The Scrolls and the Dwarves - Fiction of the Tethyamar dwarves (a short myth, when for a short time the dwarves of Tethyamar came into contact with the Nether Scrolls and were denied -- a 21K DOC file)

You'll find a reference to it in the Candlekeep Parchment Archieve - 2000, JAN-30-2000 and here as well.

I was unable to hunt it down on the web anywhere... but this info might help others to seee if they have stored it away elsewhere...

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 09 Nov 2007 07:45:51
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  15:09:59  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I always pictured them as similar to Moria -- upper levels of long tunnels interconnecting large and small chambers, and the lower levels consisting of more "roughly-hewn" rooms, natural caverns and mine tunnels. I also thought that it was mentioned somewhere that the main entrance to the halls is through a mountain keep or a stronghold?

I seem to recall that Eric wrote some 'campaign guide' for Tethyamar (some pages of ideas) years ago? I have intended to use Eric's notes with Bill Sweeney's "Return to the Throne"-adventure some day.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm

Edited by - Asgetrion on 09 Nov 2007 15:12:06
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2007 :  19:59:56  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No worries. If you wanted to stat up Tarkomang, I'd look at the Ethereal Defiler in MMV. It has abilities that stack with a warlocks. You could work out something similar with a heavily advanced Barghest. You could also apply the paragon template. I can't really comment more on future plans with Tarkomang.

Thanks for your help.

I suppose I can also assume that there are more than a few lesser barghests haunting the mines, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  16:58:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I took my party thru the mines because the party's dwarf wanted to reclaim them, I had veritable armies of barghests in the lower reaches of the mines...hundreds of them. They had used the goblins/hobgoblins to steadily build their strength.

When the dwarf took an army into the mines to clear them...the barghests actually were supported by a Balor that they had worked together to summon via a pact and use of a long standing deal with an evil wizard...the party still doesn't know who that wizard was...it didn't even occur to them that Barghests wouldn't be able to summon a Balor.

The Balor of course I could have replaced with this Tarkomang fella...if I had only known about him then. :-(

It was still good fun.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Tigger
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2007 :  23:12:23  Show Profile  Visit Tigger's Homepage Send Tigger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

The Scrolls and the Dwarves - Fiction of the Tethyamar dwarves (a short myth, when for a short time the dwarves of Tethyamar came into contact with the Nether Scrolls and were denied -- a 21K DOC file)

You'll find a reference to it in the Candlekeep Parchment Archieve - 2000, JAN-30-2000 and here as well.

I was unable to hunt it down on the web anywhere... but this info might help others to seee if they have stored it away elsewhere...

Anyone happen to find this? I'd like to get my hands on a copy.
-Tig
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  09:14:21  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tigger

quote:

Anyone happen to find this? I'd like to get my hands on a copy.
-Tig

This would most likely account for Alaundo, Wooly or Sage. While you are at it, the JAN-30-2000 update had a lot of great lore, which all would be magnificent to have here in Candlekeep.

The FR Downloads page featured:
- a 'Moonsea Fauna' essay;
- essay 'The Scrolls and The Dwarfs';
- and a new spell, "Shadow Storm", linked to a Culf ot the Dragon cell;
- plus a Travel Calculator, which can be found here at Candlekeep.

I was unable to find any of the essays on the Web though.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 14 Nov 2007 09:35:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  11:05:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This would most likely account for Alaundo, Wooly or Sage. While you are at it, the JAN-30-2000 update had a lot of great lore, which all would be magnificent to have here in Candlekeep.

The FR Downloads page featured:
- a 'Moonsea Fauna' essay;
- essay 'The Scrolls and The Dwarfs';
- and a new spell, "Shadow Storm", linked to a Culf ot the Dragon cell;
- plus a Travel Calculator, which can be found here at Candlekeep.

I was unable to find any of the essays on the Web though.

I've found the Moonsea Fauna file, and the Shadow Storm one. It's just the Tethyamar file I can't find.

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  11:41:43  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
I've found the Moonsea Fauna file, and the Shadow Storm one. It's just the Tethyamar file I can't find.

Wooly, could you provide for links to the articles by maybe editing your post or something...? That'd be great!

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  23:42:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here they are:

Moonsea Fauna
Shadow Storm

Note: both links lead directly to the files.

Go to Top of Page

Tigger
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2007 :  02:58:40  Show Profile  Visit Tigger's Homepage Send Tigger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Here they are:

Moonsea Fauna
Shadow Storm

Note: both links lead directly to the files.

Bump, still looking for the Dwarves and scrolls article.
thanks,
Tig
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2007 :  04:33:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, so am I... I'd be a lot better off if anyone could tell me the exact file name.

Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  08:48:09  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi - I thought I'd tack onto this thread just to ask a quick question (and because its sort of related). Does anyone know when the dwarves were pushed out of Tethyamar? (year date would be helpful)
[I don't have a copy of GHotR yet ]
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  09:11:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theophilus

Hi - I thought I'd tack onto this thread just to ask a quick question (and because its sort of related). Does anyone know when the dwarves were pushed out of Tethyamar? (year date would be helpful)

The Year of the Dark Dawn (1104 DR).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  09:17:47  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Theophilus

The Year of the Dark Dawn (1104 DR).

-- George Krashos

You beat me to it! However, spares me the search. A good future reference for you in the fututre, Theophilus, might be The Forgotten Realms Library.

Ergdusch

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  09:53:16  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
try this link:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010411213301/http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Dwarven%20Myth.doc
Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  10:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks alot guys
I'm assuming that this is in GHotR so I'm going to keep an eye out for GHotR at my upcoming local convention so I can avoid these questions in future!
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  10:43:39  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

try this link:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010411213301/http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Dwarven%20Myth.doc

The first link did not work for me. However, the second on was fine. I copied its content for all to read:

The Scrolls and the Dwarves/ The Denial of Mystryl

It is said that when the elves stole the nether scrolls and secreted them away from the Netherese they came through the halls of Tethyamar and were aided in their travel by the dwarves. There they stayed a short while and agreed to show the High Priest of Dumathoin in the nation the scrolls. There was great anticipation by the dwarves and they gathered before the High Throne and their King to witness these artifacts which had given the Netherese such tremendous powers. When the elven prince who had commanded the forces into Netheril brought forth the nether scrolls and laid them out before the King and High Priest there was a great silence. Then, to the elves, the dwarves all appeared to strain forward to look with perplexed expressions on their faces. Then there was a whispering and unsettled rustling in that gathering.

It was a brave soul in that great cavern audience who suddenly broke out in a laugh. And much to the elves confusion and annoyance suddenly all the dwarves were laughing. The King stood up from his throne and there was quick silence and he spoke, "What nonsense is this? You're juggling thin air here before me and my kin. Come now, show us the scrolls that shake the foundation of the world - enough of this posturing."

And the elven prince held out his hands towards the scolls upon the stone dais, "But here they are Great King...". There was another great silence. The King's eyes flashed and it seemed he was about to speak angrily when the High Priest of Dumathoin spoke quietly into his ear behind him. Though the King did not speak loudly his voice carried when he replied to his priest "We are Denied?" and all did not mistake the nod of the priest's head and long beard.

The King turned to the elves then and with a curt dismissal sent them from his kingdom.

Thus it is said the dwarves were never meant to see the scrolls and the gods of the dwarves forever guard their eyes from fathoming that which is the nether scrolls.

Grant W.L. Christie
_________

Should this be the text that we all were trying to find?!? From JAN-30-200? Thanks for digging it up, tauster.

Ergdusch

Edited by - Ergdusch on 16 Jan 2008 10:45:30
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  11:19:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy mother of Lurue! The lost file I've been trying to locate! Thanks for finding it!

I'd tried using that site, but even with that, the fact that I didn't have any real info on the file proved to be a problem.

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  14:39:09  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it wasn't even meant to be two links but one webarchive-url. I didn't copy&paste the text out of copyright concerns. Anyway, great to have been of help. :)

I really like the picture the writer showed us. It nicely portrays how the gods work sometimes: without any flash-boom-bang effect but by simply shielding something from their worshipper's eyes. Great idea!

...makes me wonder how much else people in the realms don't see without even realizing. After all, there's not always the possibility to for realizing that you obviously miss something like in that story. That might explain some peculiar treasure in dungeons that should have been plundered long ago...

Edited by - tauster on 16 Jan 2008 14:43:06
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  10:47:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grant Christie is one of the original "monks of Candlekeep" - he was one of the group who collated and put together that Roll of Years we all know and love.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000