Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Gossamer Plain: Prologue & Chapters 1 - 4
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2007 :  17:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for The Gossamer Plain (Book 1 of The Empyrean Odyssey), by Thomas M. Reid. Please discuss the prologue and chapters 1 - 4 herein:

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  18:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started reading this last night. I must admit, regarding the prologue, that is a little odd reading about angels interacting with each other and seeing how they think. Angels, for me, have always been "lofty" and mysterious beings (even in D&D settings)--and therefore unknowable--but I am excited to read more about them, as the focus tends to be more on fiendish creatures. Besides, even angels must need *some* fun things to do--otherwise Heaven would likely get pretty boring after awhile.

I just finished Chapter 2, and it looks like the plot is shaping up to be intriguing as well--much like in the Scions of Arrabar series, it looks like the focus is on dialogue and plot over combat, which I like.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  22:21:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the fact that this books seems to be touching on a few things that haven't been done before, such as having a celestial as a POV character, if the not main protagonist.

I liked how Aliisza and Kaanyr were almost like detatched observers "experimenting" in the War of the Spider Queen novels, but I also enjoy seeing Kaanyr playing a bit more serious game in his attempted conquest of Sundabar. Its also interesting to see these two continuing to have a very interesting relationship, in that they seem to have an affection for one another, and keep coming back to one another, but yet they seem to constantly screw one another over one way or the other (in the WOTSQ Aliisza wasn't quite doing everything that Kaanyr wanted her too, and this time, he seems to be assigning a lot of risk to her).

From a Realmslore perspective, I love to see Sundabar and the Silver Marches in the story, and I absolutely am thrilled to see the Morueme Dragons getting some "screen time" in a Forgotten Realms trilogy. I've loved this clan of dragons since I first read FR4 Savage Frontier. I just wonder if Krashos will ever make his way out of Ched Nassad

I enjoyed Kaanyr's reaction to the Banites comments about "devillish" troops and "hell bred." I also thought it was a wee bit ironic that Nahaungloroth accuses Kaanyr and his ilk of indescriminate breeding when the two half fiends just had to walk through a fortress filled with half-dragon solidiers and hobgoblin concubines . . . projection anyone?

Kaanyr's plan seems to be rather grandiose for taking over a single city. Either he is REALLY peeved at Sundabar or he has some other steps planned after Sundabar falls, given how extensive the plotting of this plan has been.

I wonder if Zasian is just a "simple" cleric of Bane, or if he has even more going on than working for Helm Dwarf-friend, conspiring with his fellow priests, and Kaanyr.

Great start so far, and lots of facinating things going on. Rousing start to the book.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  23:38:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I enjoyed Kaanyr's reaction to the Banites comments about "devillish" troops and "hell bred." I also thought it was a wee bit ironic that Nahaungloroth accuses Kaanyr and his ilk of indescriminate breeding when the two half fiends just had to walk through a fortress filled with half-dragon solidiers and hobgoblin concubines . . . projection anyone?

Great point.

I have only one reservation so far. Remember how I've mentioned in the past how hard it is to sympathize with protagonists who are evil? So far, that applies to this book. Just about all the major character so far (except the celestial, and I've only seen him in the prologue so far) have malicious intentions. So, how can I root for them? It's a personal thing though.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  15:19:48  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I enjoyed Kaanyr's reaction to the Banites comments about "devillish" troops and "hell bred."

Kaanyr's plan seems to be rather grandiose for taking over a single city. Either he is REALLY peeved at Sundabar or he has some other steps planned after Sundabar falls, given how extensive the plotting of this plan has been.

Yeah, I enjoyed Kaanyr's thoughts too, it's interesting to see how "evil" characters always focus on how they differ from other people, but never/rarely discover what they have in common.

Doesn't Kaanyr's plan revolve around the "lifespring"? I think it was mentioned early on, but he never made a point of explaining it to someone. Sundabar might just be the key...

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

Edited by - Braveheart on 13 May 2007 15:21:03
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2007 :  00:12:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

Doesn't Kaanyr's plan revolve around the "lifespring"? I think it was mentioned early on, but he never made a point of explaining it to someone. Sundabar might just be the key...

Apparently yes, the Lifespring is involved, but Kaanyr's plans aren't immediately explained, and probably won't be until near the end of the book. The reader is deliberately kept in the dark.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2010 :  08:39:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should have read this before I read Fractured Sky, which unfortunately couldn't hold my attention after a few chapters...

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000