Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Cambions and Alu-Fiends Return to 3.5
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11724 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2007 :  20:53:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<<Bugger. More sloppy development and editing.

Yeah, is it just me, or does it feel like this just started in the last year or thereabouts? It started (at least to me) around the time tome of magic came out. Not saying that previous years didn't have some problems, mind, which is why 3.5 came out, but seems like things are being put out very fast again.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2007 :  22:24:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

<<Bugger. More sloppy development and editing.

Yeah, is it just me, or does it feel like this just started in the last year or thereabouts? It started (at least to me) around the time tome of magic came out. Not saying that previous years didn't have some problems, mind, which is why 3.5 came out, but seems like things are being put out very fast again.

Think its just you because I've seen errors in every FR, and core, sourcebook ever since 3e. :) For example, take a gander through the FR NPC file for 3/3.5e. Gods, some of those NPC's just make me cringe.

Furthermore, there's a 6 page thread on ENworld discussing this topic because WOTC and MANY 3rd party companies have editing/grammar/etc issues.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 18 Apr 2007 23:38:59
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2007 :  22:36:57  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I have to concur. Not to state if its too much or if its acceptable, but it seems like every year or so, depending on who is looking at what, that statement is made. While its not in dispute that there are mistakes, and sometimes really aggrivating ones, I wouldn't even venture to say if there are more or less than there have been in other recent years. You may, however, make a case for weather they have released pages for web previews with mistakes in them before, which tends to highlight the mistakes in question.
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  02:14:37  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Editing errors happen but the ones that are particularly egregious are what are seen here with the cambions: bad development. I expect the designers to try and break a few rules but it's the job of the development guys to bring the design back on track. However, the dev team seems to go asleep at the wheel far too often and then the editors get blamed.

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2007 :  14:44:38  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I just looked over this at the book store, and yes, the odd numbered ability bonuses and assasin as favored class are in the book.

Cambions have hit dice, alu fiends, as presented in the little write up that James Jacobs did in Dragon, just have substitute abilities that replace a few of the standard half-fiend abilities of that template.

One wonders whether they are close to what they did over on the Wizards main site recently, all these half-fiend variants.

And I wonder whether it is close to Another Gnome's and my version of the alu-fiends too ...

http://www.dnd-gate.de/gate3/page/index.php?id=125

Obviously, half-yochlol and half-brahina should follow suit

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  02:16:23  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Apparently the new Expedition to the Demonweb Pits has the 3.5 version of the Cambion in it, which is a specialized form of half fiend , and the stats for them are posted in a download at WOTC's site:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/excerpts/demonwebpits/ExpeditionDemonwebPits__Cambion.zip

Now, in Dragon Magazine 355, James Jacobs gives some 3.5 stats for alu-fiends that he didn't have room for in his Malcanthet article, and they appear on page 10 of that issue.

Hooray . . . I guess Aliisza and Kaanyr Vhok are officially what they have always been . . .

Got my copy of Dragon 355 last night but ill be damned if I can find stats for the Alu fiend what page number is it on?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  02:30:17  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 10, its actually in a response to a letter in the letters section, discussing what James Jacobs cut out of the Malconthet article.
Go to Top of Page

turox
Learned Scribe

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  02:39:23  Show Profile  Visit turox's Homepage Send turox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dargoth I just leafed through my copy of 355 and the only thing I could find was on page 10 in the Scale Mail column under the title Demon Spawn. In there it is listed as an ALU-DEMON. I think that is the spot they are talking about.

Hope that helps

EDIT: Darn not fast enough, that is what I get for second guessing myself.

Turox Antas Dragonslayer -
"People will believe anything they want to believe, or fear to believe."
Wizard's First Rule: Chapter 36, Page #397, US Hard Cover (revealed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander).
Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People’s heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool."

Edited by - turox on 02 May 2007 02:40:43
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  03:20:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah thanks

thought for sure iot must have been in creature collection VI and I was pulling my hair out trying to find it!

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page