Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What gender do you enjoy playing the most?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  04:50:04  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Guys - Do you only play males? Girls - Do you only play females? Can you/do you go either way?
(And no, I don't mean THAT way! )

I am curious about this because so far, I seem to be the only male who has a female character on the site, and I have yet to see a female play a male on here as well.

I can play either one actually, but I tend to play females. Mainly because no one in my group (all guys) but me will play one.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  05:02:08  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We only get two choices?

The only time I RP women is when I'm GMing, and I don't do a very good job of it. That's why I don't play women PCs.

I do, however, usually play female characters in single-person CRPGs. I do that because I know the games are designed with it in mind that most will play male characters, and I'm curious how the game handles a female protagonist. In party-oriented CRPGs, I split the party evenly. The leader is sometimes a woman, sometimes a man, depending on the classes and other stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Malice
Seeker

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  06:08:23  Show Profile  Visit Malice's Homepage Send Malice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I usually RP as a male character in D&D, but in games I RP as a female...do you think that that is odd??

"Khaless? Ha. Vel'bol zhah nindol 'khaless' dos telanth? d'usstan zhaun ol naut."
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  08:17:30  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play both sexes with a preference to women.
When you are a rogue and you fail your pickpocket check, and tha guards arrive, it's so easy to play the victim and charm them
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  17:18:26  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
zemd, what do you do if they're female guards, hope they're lesbians?

Malice, did you leave some words out of your reply? What do you mean you RP in D&D as a male but in games you RP as a female. Do you mean, like me, that you RP women in CRPGs?

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 05 May 2003 17:18:45
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  20:02:03  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bran: You mean there are more than just two?
I think I need to get out more often.

zemd: Yes! That's one of the reasons I like to play females. It's so much easier to flirt your way out of sticky situations like that.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  20:33:36  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yasraena:
quote:
Bran: You mean there are more than just two?
I think I need to get out more often.

Don't we all.
quote:
zemd: Yes! That's one of the reasons I like to play females. It's so much easier to flirt your way out of sticky situations like that.

As long as the GM role-plays the guards well.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  20:34:28  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the LARP I play in there is one guy there that plays a veiled Matron Mother. It is funny, but he does a good job actually.

I don't like to play female characters too much. Like Jane Austen wrote, she would never write about a conversation between two men with no female in the room. WHy? Becasue she has no idea how two men will act when there is NO female presence around. A good thought I think. Most of the players I play with tend to play their own sex.

At the LARP I play in though there are a couple males that play female characters. Keep in mind they have to dress like it. I have found that MOST of the time in the LARP the guys playing female characters are just being a joke, taking the female role to the more stereotypical level. One dumb guy was playing a girl on her period, and would scream at everyone, in a very stereotypical way. My cahracter Turloch just enfeebled his mind for 12 hours. Which is considered a hostile action, so I had to pay a fine, but it was still better than listening to that idiot. Its my opinion that in a larp if you have the junk you should not play a female. ITs also annoying becasue then they try to flirt with you, and I always wind up insulting them, with things like you look like a shaven female dwarf, or if I had a dog that looked like you I would shave its arse and teach it too walk backwards. Fortunately enough people are afraid of my character I can get away with it.

It just really annoys me. Table top is different though. I don't mind it so much then.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2003 :  22:33:29  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by branmakmuffin

zemd, what do you do if they're female guards, hope they're lesbians?

LOL!
Usually guards are males except in amazons' city...
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  01:11:04  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always roleplay guys. The thought of playing a female character creeps my out a little. But I know a few people that cross gender their RP characters.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2003 :  09:35:20  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to play both but eventually now i only play women. I think they have more possibilities than men. I may not know how to play a man well, yet... But i think they have a bigger gaming zone since they can do exactly the same things than men and do some things which would be a shame for a man or maybe im wrong?
But it depends what kind of character u play, anyway, even if u can play any character by the both genders, i think there are better oppotunities with a specific gender. Everyone has to choose by herself. (or himself...)
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  03:57:43  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Targon Moonrise

I always roleplay guys. The thought of playing a female character creeps my out a little. But I know a few people that cross gender their RP characters.

Targon, what do you mean it creeps you out a little? Given, it can be a little uncomfortable with those you don't know well, but it's a big challenge to play a female as a male. With all the requisite situations that come with it (flirting with a fellow player or NPC, etc), I think it's a testament to the person as a RPer to be able to play one beleivably. That is the point of the game after all. ROLE-playing.
But, to each his own, bud. I think you're missing out not trying to play one in a good group. To me, the challenge of pulling it off is the fun part.

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2003 :  22:33:39  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

quote:
Originally posted by Targon Moonrise

Targon, what do you mean it creeps you out a little? Given, it can be a little uncomfortable with those you don't know well, but it's a big challenge to play a female as a male. With all the requisite situations that come with it (flirting with a fellow player or NPC, etc), I think it's a testament to the person as a RPer to be able to play one beleivably. That is the point of the game after all. ROLE-playing.
But, to each his own, bud. I think you're missing out not trying to play one in a good group. To me, the challenge of pulling it off is the fun part.

Well I have to admit... A majour pet peeve of mine is when males that play females try to flirt with me in the game. Of course I love it when female players do, but I just can't get into it when the male player flirts with me. Doesn't creep me out, I just tell them to role play another aspect:)

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2003 :  08:11:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a while since I actually played a PC, since I have been DM'ing now, for 8 years. However on some occassions when I did play a PC, it was almost always entirely male.

I have role-played several female PC's over the years also. Some of the most memorable have been - a female drow wizard, another was a bariaur ranger, and a third was a homebrewed (2e) female Salamander fighter.

Those were indeed, very enjoyable characters to role-play.

May your learning be free and unfettered.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2003 :  17:20:24  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can pretty much play a female PC role if the PC is a DROW, or a non-human typoe like a bariaur, or even a half-orc, or Centaur. I just don't like playing female roles, because i find that MOST players tend to stereotype the female role. I have enough problems understanding women, that it would be NEAR impossible for me to play one.

Go to Top of Page

Formosus
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2003 :  04:34:39  Show Profile  Visit Formosus's Homepage Send Formosus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always played a male character, unless you count the time when I played a rogue modron, who is technically genderless. I do this because I am afraid that if I play a woman, as mourn blade mentioned, I will make her act stereotypically.

Roma locuta est, causa finita est.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2003 :  12:12:27  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And have you been involved in a love story with an other character (not player )?
Maybe i'll create a paladin who is the wife of an other pc. It'll be fun to play
Go to Top of Page

Malice
Seeker

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2003 :  16:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Malice's Homepage Send Malice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Malice, did you leave some words out of your reply? What do you mean you RP in D&D as a male but in games you RP as a female. Do you mean, like me, that you RP women in CRPGs?

::sweatdrops:: Sorry the reply took so long.... yes, that is what i meant. I apologize for any befuzzlement that I may have caused.

"Khaless? Ha. Vel'bol zhah nindol 'khaless' dos telanth? d'usstan zhaun ol naut."
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2003 :  19:38:16  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

And have you been involved in a love story with an other character (not player )?
Maybe i'll create a paladin who is the wife of an other pc. It'll be fun to play

HAH HAH!

If a male player tried to play my wife...

That would just annoy me I have a mental block with roleplaying attraction to a female character played by a male.

Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2003 :  21:41:50  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have played in a few games where my PC was female and another male player's male PC was attracted to her. I have also played in a game where it was just the opposite, my male PC was attracted to another male players female PC.
In both cases, the players realized the context of the situation, and played it out. In one of the cases, the PC's eventually became lovers and held an ongoing relationship within the party (this was in a Talislanta game BTW). Granted, we didn't play them all lovey dovey, but there were times when they did do the nasty. When these times came up, we just told the GM where they were and what they were doing and left it at that. Other times, we roleplayed the affection that the PC's had for one another by playing the protective boyfriend, the appreciative girlfriend, etc. (sterotypes maybe, but they were part of the PC's personality)
It helped in that both of us were best friends, so we could say stuff that we could just brush off, plus, there was a lot of kidding going on too. It would definitely be harder if the person you were playing off of was someone you just met.
The point is that we played the ROLES, not ourselves, and that is really the key to being able to play a female as a male.

As it was said earlier in the topic, being the gender each of us is, we don't have a clue as to what the other would act like, other than drawing from what we've seen and learned from in our own experiences; so stereotypes are kind of inevitable when you play a gender other than what you actually are. The trick and skill in roleplaying is knowing when you're doing it, so you can correct it and play a character instead of a stereotype.
I guess that's where those of us who have done acting of any sort in the past have an edge over those that haven't, because roleplaying is basically acting while you sit at a table with a pencil and paper in front of you.

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2003 :  23:11:16  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always been told I am an excellent role player. That might have somehting to do with me being a DM. As a DM I can take on any role, and I do it well. Doesn't matter what the role is, I think I do it well, even a female since most NPC's do not require the length of time to role play as PC's (What I mean, is week after week I will not have to roleplay that character.

As a PC though (I rarely PC nowadays except for Live action) there are things I just don't ENJOY playing. Typically these include Non drow female roles, GREEN SKINS OF ANY KIND and other creatures of LOW intelligence, Giant kin, minotaurs, Half-orcs (I hate them), and lots of bestial things.

I know Bran will hate me for it, but other than Human, my favourite character races to play are elves or half-elves. I have always liked elves. If I was too play now, I love the aasimar, and the Genasi races, so I would probably experiment with them. I figured out a long time ago I don't like playing stunties (I.E. Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings) though I can if asked too. None of these preferences is any lack of roleplaying skill, it is just a matter of what one likes to play.

Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  05:28:30  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never meant to imply that people who don't play the opposite gender are bad roleplayers. If I came off that way, my apologies to everyone.
But... IMO, I do think that those who can play them, and do it well, are probably a little better at it than those who don't or can't. It just makes them more well rounded as roleplayers. Again, IMO.
But it's all relative anyway, and as Mournblade pointed out, the other real point in playing this game is to enjoy yourself. (BTW - Green skins??) If anyone is that uncomfortable playing the opposite sex (or anything else for that matter) then it just defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place.

Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  13:24:42  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. but its true that if u cannot play a female, don't do it. i saw some playing females -i should say trying to play-, it was pathetic, sorry for them.
And who played an other race, i mean not a typical race but something like troll, giant or whatever...?
Its also hard to play, above all if its a clever character like a vampire.

I think between good friends, u can play a flirt well without disturbing anybody. Just a game, a big jock, not even a dream.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  18:15:07  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mournblade94:
quote:
I know Bran will hate me for it, but other than Human, my favourite character races to play are elves or half-elves. I have always liked elves. If I was too play now, I love the aasimar, and the Genasi races, so I would probably experiment with them. I figured out a long time ago I don't like playing stunties (I.E. Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings) though I can if asked too. None of these preferences is any lack of roleplaying skill, it is just a matter of what one likes to play.

Oh, please. Are you a powergamer/munchkin/minmaxer? I didn't think so. The problem with Elves is that they are the choice of munchkins. I would never prohibit a new player from playing an Elf if he really wanted to. It's been really long since we had a new player in the group, however.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 12 May 2003 18:16:46
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  18:21:17  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

mournblade94:
quote:

Oh, please. Are you a powergamer/munchkin/minmaxer? I didn't think so. The problem with Elves is that they are the choice of munchkins. I would never prohibit a new player from playing an Elf if he really wanted to. It's been really long since we had a new player in the group, however.

There are difference between munchkin and wanted your hero to be remembered. After all elves are seen as the most noble people for a lot of players. Their longevity and the mystery that lies in their very nature make them an easy choice for 'heroic' character. It's just hard to play them correctly.
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  18:28:55  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
zemd:
quote:
There are difference between munchkin and wanted your hero to be remembered. After all elves are seen as the most noble people for a lot of players. Their longevity and the mystery that lies in their very nature make them an easy choice for 'heroic' character. It's just hard to play them correctly.

I agree. Those who play Elves for those reasons are role-playing, or at least are interested in trying to role-play.

Edited by - branmakmuffin on 12 May 2003 18:29:24
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2003 :  22:06:10  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena
(BTW - Green skins??)

Hah Green skins are my groups title, and actually lots of the New Jersey Roleplayers name for orcs, goblins, kobolds, trolls, things like that. This goes for Warhammer as well. I could never play an orc army, and so many of my friends THRIVE on the ORCS!!!

Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2003 :  10:53:01  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

or at least are interested in trying to role-play.

That's the point, someone TRYING to RP correctly an elf, and not succeeding, can be found as a munchkin. That's what i thought of TsilfaEor. But i realized that he was really trying to improve his RP skills with elves (reading books and sites ont the Internet).
IMO, we should try to discover if a player understand what an elf is before thinking of him as a munchkin
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2003 :  00:40:16  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure, zemd, I don't automatically assume someone playing an Elf is powergaming, but so many of them are.
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2003 :  16:51:34  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understood but I don't think elves offer so much advantages compared to the other races
Go to Top of Page

branmakmuffin
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2003 :  17:41:38  Show Profile  Visit branmakmuffin's Homepage Send branmakmuffin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds like circular reasoning, but if Elves weren't so powerful, powergamers wouldn't pick them so often.

Like I said elsewhere, once Drow became an "official" PC race in Unearthed Arcana, powergamers got a new favorite race.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000