Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What caused FR gender equality?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  00:47:09  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis

Ed was how old when he was doing this? First dreaming it up I mean.

I believe he was about 7, but you could check his replies to be sure.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  00:52:45  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A seven year old was thinking of such things as equality between the sexes in a fantasy world he was imagining?

Edited by - Lemernis on 26 Mar 2007 00:55:50
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  00:54:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1967, before his eight birthday. Straight from his anthology and other sources.

And why not? Is that so hard to grasp that he might have been thinking about this at that time?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 26 Mar 2007 00:55:17
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  01:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's probably not how a typical seven year old tends to think. But Ed has certainly demonstrated creative genius as an adult, so I suppose anything is possible with him. If he had been a precocious lad that would hardly come as a shock.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2007 :  01:11:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lemernis, I suggest you read through Ed's own comments on the matter of the initial Realms creation, in his replies here at Candlekeep. They should help you to understand a little about how the young Ed was coming to view this world of his imagination.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Mar 2007 01:12:15
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  00:53:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Calrond

Dove Falconhand is the only one that comes to mind, and I know she is a 14th level Ranger (2 ED) with a few mage and thief levels mixed in.

Edit: I think it's also mentioned that Dove is a stronger-than-average female. In Silverfall, it's a sort of running joke for a while between some of the Seven Sisters that "at least you don't have Dove's shoulders."

Actually, Islif Lurelake is a pretty strong female warrior as well (and I do mean physically strong).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 27 Mar 2007 01:05:13
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  00:56:37  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
I dunno, many of our ancestors had/have pantheons filled with strong female deities and if you look back into Earth's history far enough you do find some nations that had female rulers and gender equality.

And even having strong female deities didn't guarantee gender egalitarianism--after all, Athens was named after Athena (a strong female deity) and as far as I've learned over the years, mortal women in the ancient world had very little power there.

But still, I like it how the FR doesn't share the faults of our world, and as Faraer pointed out civilization has existed in the Realms a lot longer than it has on Earth. Given so much time anything is possible.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 27 Mar 2007 01:00:25
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  13:04:28  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, women weren't really regarded as equal to men in ancient Athens. The majority of the Atehnian population was ineligible for citizenship, i.e., women, slaves, children, and resident foreigners. Women didn't enjoy the rights conferred by citizenship, anyway.

FWIW, I appreciate the wider palette from which to create characters given by women's equality with men (not just in terms of opportunity but in all abilities it seems, even physical) in this fantasy setting. It's more fun, I think.
Go to Top of Page

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  22:03:49  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Actually, Islif Lurelake is a pretty strong female warrior as well (and I do mean physically strong).

Ok, I haven't heard of her, but she sounds like she's worth looking up.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2007 :  23:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ok, I haven't heard of her, but she sounds like she's worth looking up.

She is one of the founding members of The Knights of Myth Drannor, and thus a PC in Ed Greenwood's gaming group. There is a lot of information about her in the 'Hall of Heroes' accessory and Ed's recent novel 'Swords of Eveningstar'. All FR campaign setting boxed sets and the novel 'Spellfire' have some tidbits, too.

Sage can probably point out the rest!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  01:11:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormyr, Volo's Guide to Cormyr, Forgotten Realms Adventures, the Old Grey Box, and Ed's replies from '04, '05, and '07.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

malchor7
Seeker

62 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  02:28:47  Show Profile  Visit malchor7's Homepage Send malchor7 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Granted I haven't read Ed for a while now (Spellfire was a bunch of years ago), but I don't remember Islif outside Swords of Eveningstar. Is she in other novels? Is she still around in the current years?

quote:

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  04:42:02  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She's married to Doust Sulwood and a retired member of the KoMD. They have a son together who would likely be in his teens now ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Aginor37
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  14:57:17  Show Profile  Visit Aginor37's Homepage Send Aginor37 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

She's married to Doust Sulwood and a retired member of the KoMD. They have a son together who would likely be in his teens now ...

-- George Krashos

Ack, spoilage!

Well, it's actually kind of good to know she isn't one of the dead ones. And I am not really complaining about anything, I guess this is one of the risks of hanging out around here while anticipating future novels about "past" realms events and people (the rest of the KoMD trilogy, in this instance). Well, for those of us not up on a lot of the in-game Realmslore anyways.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2007 :  16:31:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aginor37

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Ack, spoilage!

Well, it's actually kind of good to know she isn't one of the dead ones. And I am not really complaining about anything, I guess this is one of the risks of hanging out around here while anticipating future novels about "past" realms events and people (the rest of the KoMD trilogy, in this instance). Well, for those of us not up on a lot of the in-game Realmslore anyways.

Well, it's not really a spoiler since she's been that way for 30 Earth years ever since 1e material, or at least 2e material.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  08:12:51  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eladrinstar

In, well, most of human history, women have been cruely restricted by harsh social codes. This was probably due to the fact that in physical labor, women are generally not as strong as men. Also, the fact that many offspring are needed caused many women to be pregnant and raising children all the time. However, as the world changes into one where most work is mentally based, women have finally been given their deserved proper rights and the restricting social codes are melting away.

But what of FR. Women in Faerun are, for the most part, allowed to be great religous leaders and get to run around and hit things with swords. My question is Why? Wait, no why is the wrong word. I already know why, so we can play female adventurers.

So, I guess my real question is How?

'Cruelly restricted'? 'Harsh social codes'? Ummm....presentism, feminist bias, and ethnocentrism alert!

But that’s enough about real world history and anthropology. :)

I assume that the apparent 'egalitarianism' of much of FR (leaving out some of the so-called barbarian peoples, the drow, and several other counter examples) stems from these factors:

• Ed Greenwood really likes fighting fantasy heroines, powerful queens, sorceresses, and all that sort of thing. When he started putting together the Realms, he naturally made plenty of room for these sorts of characters.

• Greenwood further developed his homebrew setting through a long running campaign that included both female players and female PCs, and he didn't want to restrict options for female characters.

• TSR had no commercial incentive to insert a lot of niche material on gender/sex roles in a play aid for an escapist fantasy adventure game built around the central premise of bands of armed robbers killing (and getting killed by) monsters in dungeons.

• The game mechanics have generally ignored sex differences, and setting design has often been affected by mechanics.

All of that makes perfect sense to me.

One of my favorite fantasy games in King Arthur Pendragon. I run it with the default assumption (right there in the rules) that all PCs are knights—which means that they are all men. Yes, and not just men but most likely ‘white’ men of a certain social class. This is faithful to the Matter of Britain on which the game is based, and I wouldn’t have it otherwise.

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)

Edited by - combatmedic on 24 Aug 2012 08:15:30
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  11:09:14  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would put magic, both divine and arcane, high up on the reasons for more gender equality in the Realms. When magic doesn't care what gender you are, and gods give out their power to either or both genders according to their own whims, I'd imagine it'd be hard to not have the genders be more equal. Add in that many of the strongest/oldest deities seem to identify as female and, more importantly, can provide literal power to members of any race or gender they choose, and to me it makes sense.

Though, as we're talking about a created world, the actual answer would be because Ed designed it that way. Kinda a cop out answer though so figured I'd add in my opinions on the way magic and active gods could shape things.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  13:08:21  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by combatmedic
•TSR had no commercial incentive to insert a lot of niche material on gender/sex roles in a play aid for an escapist fantasy adventure game built around the central premise of bands of armed robbers killing (and getting killed by) monsters in dungeons.

I'm going to disagree with that. Pandering to the social, political, and ideological views of your intended audience is a sure way to make lots of money and have success. D&D thanks to Ed and Gary has always tended to have a techno-progressive perspective on society. Not as heavy handed as Gene Rodenberry's Star Trek, mind you, but in the same vein nonetheless.

Since the mid-80's TSR/WotC/Hasbro has kept very conscious of how their non-fans respond to their printed material, and tried to keep the most controversial stuff out to avoid conservative hysteria.

What I see has changed recently is that the social values of the US have liberalized to the degree that WizBro can start openly incorporating LGBT themes as well as non-white-male protagonists.

So I think that we definitely have to give credit where credit is due. Our D&D forefathers bucked social traditions and gave us a fantasy state of gender equality.

Then our artistic forefathers proceeded to objectify and exploit our equal sisters-in-adventure on the cover of every novel and rule book--so the message is sort of mixed.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  14:54:35  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

Another factor may have been that the first (and still existing) deities were female - Selune, Shar, and Chauntea. Many strong female deities have followed, being afforded at least equal respect as the male deities, unlike real world religions.

Actually many ancient pantheons in our world have powerful and important female deities but still treat the common woman quite badly.
For example the Hindu deities Saraswati and Lakshmi are worshiped throughout the country but Indian women still have to face a lot of discrimination in society.
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  18:54:05  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

Another factor may have been that the first (and still existing) deities were female - Selune, Shar, and Chauntea. Many strong female deities have followed, being afforded at least equal respect as the male deities, unlike real world religions.

Actually many ancient pantheons in our world have powerful and important female deities but still treat the common woman quite badly.
For example the Hindu deities Saraswati and Lakshmi are worshiped throughout the country but Indian women still have to face a lot of discrimination in society.

True, but in our world those real world deities didn't provide D&D clerical spellcasting to their followers, so I'd imagine that would make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  19:10:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  22:01:38  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to buck the prevailing view of general Realmsian equality here a bit, I'll point out that things were not always so peachy in Clan Battlehammer, way back in the day.

If you re-read The Crystal Shard now, you should notice that 21-ish Catti-brie has virtually no impact on the story, and is barely mentioned in any of the action. When Bruenor releases Wulfgar to begin his combat training with Drizzt, Cat taunts Wulf from the dwarven tunnel entrance, but she does not go out with the males. When the dwarves prepare the battleground between the dwarven valley and the capitol city of Bryn Shander, rather than venturing out beneath the monsters' campsites with the male dwarves, Catti-brie remains behind in the valley where it is relatively safe, in case the tunnels need to be collapsed. And at the end, though all of the male Companions depart on Bruenor's quest to find Mithral Hall, she is relegated to cooking, and packing their bags.

For anyone who knows anything about the fiery character of Catti-brie, this has got to be very alarming. She's not supposed to be like that. She's an ornery, stubborn, assertive female, and ordinarily would most likely demand to be a part of the action right along with the boys.

I once asked Bob what was the deal here, and he confessed that he had inadvertently left out any female characters from his manuscript for the novel, and it was his editor at the time, Mary Kirchoff, who recommended that he come up with a female co-star forthwith. He did, but because of the short deadline, he did not have the time to integrate her fully into the existing story, so she ended up being rather minor. She was literally an afterthought.

Bob said that this was not an intentional slight by any means. But at the time, fantasy did not have a lot of strong female leads, so he wasn't thinking along those lines. And with that first book being made in such an amazing rush, he just wrote what he knew: male adventurers.

In the next novel, Streams of Silver, Catti-brie starts out still stuck in Icewind Dale as the males are all off adventuring, but she is thrust back into the action as a result of a forced interrogation by Artemis Entreri. Sensing that her friends and family were in danger, Cat took the bold step of heading off into the wilderness alone to try to warn them. Despite her good intentions, she actually spends nearly half the story as a prisoner of Entreri's. Eventually, though, she breaks free and rejoins the male Companions. At this point, Bruenor's initial reaction is to wonder what she's doing out there, and then he goes into protective father mode, concerned that she's in rough shape, and has obviously been manhandled a bit. She is allowed to travel with the male Companions through Mithral Hall, and even gets upgraded adventuring gear. Nevertheless, despite having made some symbolic strides, in the end, as Drizzt and Wulf head off south to try to track Entreri with the abducted Regis, Cat remains behind--this time, to gather allied forces in order to retake Mithral Hall. Once again, for whatever reason, she is given the safer role, while the guys assume the sexy, glamorous, heroic one.

In The Halfling's Gem, Bruenor is saved and rescued from the duergar-infested Mithral Hall by Lady Alustriel, and then he is reunited with his daughter in Longsaddle, back at the Harpells' Ivy Mansion. He quickly decides that it's time for him to leave and join the other male Companions on their adventure to rescue Regis, without even considering bringing Cat along. She has to take matters into her own hands, and assert her right and duty to become part of the adventure party, because Regis is just as much her friend as he is of the guys. Later in the story, as things begin to heat up between Cat and Wulf, Bruenor lightheartedly chides Wulf that he had better show Cat her full measure of respect, or else she would surely make him miserable.

So 'twould appear that Catti-brie had finally come into her own as a woman, demanding to be treated with equal respect to any of the males in her circle, and at last receiving her due. It did not happen overnight, but gradually, over time. It appears that there was some sort of reluctance to do so at first, whether social or just familial.

And if we go back and re-read the prequel novel Sojourn, we read that 11-year-old young Catti-brie was a very precocious child who liked to explore the wilds of Icewind Dale solo, and who didn't take "no" as an answer from her protective father. Despite numerous admonishments, Cat did what she felt in her heart was right, and even when she was caught violating parental restrictions, she still asserted that she had done the right thing.

So with all that in mind, I have to ask, "What gives?" How could Cat be so assertive at 11, yet so passive and unassuming at 21, and then an assertive warrior woman shortly after? Yes, the RW explanation from Bob about how she was an afterthought, combined with the fact that the prequel was actually written years after he had come up with her character in such an intial rush, explains it all in practical, RW terms. But what gives, in world?

I ask this because I hope that if "they" ever make Drizzt movies based on "The Icewind Dale Trilogy", I think it would be great if they actually explored this aspect of the character of Catti-brie. I think it might be nice to see why she took a background role at one point in her life, and then to contrast that with her snapping out of it and demanding to be treated fairly, for once and for all.

Contrast this with Eowyn of TLOTR, who basically did what Cat did as a child: secretly violate the restrictions imposed upon her by the male authority figure in her life, because she thought it the right thing to do. But to my knowledge Eowyn never took the dramatic step of fully standing her ground and demanding that the king treat her as an equal, with success.

Therefore, I have proposed to Bob that if "they" ever make Drizzt movies, they should explain why Cat took such a passive, background role. I have suggested that, as she was approaching age 21 and perhaps an expectation to fly the coop, perhaps King Bruenor tightened the reins about her, a bit. Maybe it was harsh and overbearing. Or maybe it was more insidious: a scared father pleading with his nearly-grown daughter to play along in a submissive role for him, for just a little while longer. And maybe she--tragically--agreed, so as to not break her father's heart. And maybe Bruenor was completely clueless as to how and why such a request was so wrong.

Bob basically said, "Sure, fine, whatevah; that might just work".

Dwarves Deep said that female dwarves traditionally stayed home while the males went off adventuring, and that this tradition had become reinforced by the diminishing fertility rates amongst the stout folk. However, with a reduction in organized clan power, individual she-dwarves were beginning to defy the limitations of this traditional gender role, with success. But there still appeared to be a fairly clear pattern, amongst dwarfkind.

That might play a part in the way Catti-brie was raised, as well.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  23:19:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A vast tradition of female heroes, queens, wizards, and gods goes a long way. Women just don't have to put up with as much grief in the Realms as they all-to-often do in our world. There simply isn't the entrenched misogyny in the Realms that we have in a lot of RL culture.

I don't think anything "caused" sexual equality. It's more like what "caused" sexual INequality in our world just doesn't apply in the Realms.

Even those cultures in the Realms that have rigidly defined gender roles generally honor and esteem both men and women.

A note about the drow: I think the sexist rigid matriarchy is extremely rare in the Realms, and most people who see that would find it alien to their sensibilities.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2012 :  23:48:23  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dove Falconhand is the only one that comes to mind, and I know she is a 14th level Ranger (2 ED) with a few mage and thief levels mixed in.

Edit: I think it's also mentioned that Dove is a stronger-than-average female. In Silverfall, it's a sort of running joke for a while between some of the Seven Sisters that "at least you don't have Dove's shoulders."

Don't let Islif Lurelake (str 18 in 1st/2nd ed), Doust Sulwood's wife hear you say that or Sharantyr (str, dex & con all 17) ! Storm had/has a higher strength rating than Dover or at least used to 18/27 vs 17 in 1st/2md Ed.

PS: And what Erik just said! :)

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

Edited by - Tamsar on 24 Aug 2012 23:49:50
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  03:21:16  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

quote:
Originally posted by combatmedic
•TSR had no commercial incentive to insert a lot of niche material on gender/sex roles in a play aid for an escapist fantasy adventure game built around the central premise of bands of armed robbers killing (and getting killed by) monsters in dungeons.

I'm going to disagree with that. Pandering to the social, political, and ideological views of your intended audience is a sure way to make lots of money and have success. D&D thanks to Ed and Gary has always tended to have a techno-progressive perspective on society. Not as heavy handed as Gene Rodenberry's Star Trek, mind you, but in the same vein nonetheless.

Since the mid-80's TSR/WotC/Hasbro has kept very conscious of how their non-fans respond to their printed material, and tried to keep the most controversial stuff out to avoid conservative hysteria.

What I see has changed recently is that the social values of the US have liberalized to the degree that WizBro can start openly incorporating LGBT themes as well as non-white-male protagonists.

So I think that we definitely have to give credit where credit is due. Our D&D forefathers bucked social traditions and gave us a fantasy state of gender equality.

Then our artistic forefathers proceeded to objectify and exploit our equal sisters-in-adventure on the cover of every novel and rule book--so the message is sort of mixed.

Maybe, but I wouldn't use the word 'pandering.'

I take issue with 'conservative hysteria.' If Jack Chick is your idea of 'conservative' then you need to meet more conservatives. Please don't lump us in with the crazies.
:)

YMMV, as always.

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2012 :  23:58:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

A note about the drow: I think the sexist rigid matriarchy is extremely rare in the Realms, and most people who see that would find it alien to their sensibilities.
I say they either don't read enough fantasy novels, or they don't read the right kind. There are many fantasy settings out there where women are portrayed as way, way superior to men, and are worse than drow priestesses.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  11:51:06  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my opinion one of the major causes of gender equality in the realms is War.
Bear with me, first almost all countries in the realms are small in size compared to the nations of our world and this is doubly so when you consider the population difference. These small city states or even towns are also under constant threat, from horrific monsters or merely some more powerful empire or even the unwelcome attentions of a evil god or goddess.
Thus it is simply not practical for half the population not to fight or do the same kind of work as men, perhaps in the beginning only during times of crises but the women would still retain their skills even afterwards and many would want to continue their careers as soldiers or whatever. Even in our world this was seen in Britain during WW2 when women entered the workforce in large numbers and were gradually accepted as dependable members of the working class.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  12:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Just to buck the prevailing view of general Realmsian equality here a bit, I'll point out that things were not always so peachy in Clan Battlehammer, way back in the day.

If you re-read The Crystal Shard now, you should notice that 21-ish Catti-brie has virtually no impact on the story, and is barely mentioned in any of the action. When Bruenor releases Wulfgar to begin his combat training with Drizzt, Cat taunts Wulf from the dwarven tunnel entrance, but she does not go out with the males. When the dwarves prepare the battleground between the dwarven valley and the capitol city of Bryn Shander, rather than venturing out beneath the monsters' campsites with the male dwarves, Catti-brie remains behind in the valley where it is relatively safe, in case the tunnels need to be collapsed. And at the end, though all of the male Companions depart on Bruenor's quest to find Mithral Hall, she is relegated to cooking, and packing their bags.

For anyone who knows anything about the fiery character of Catti-brie, this has got to be very alarming. She's not supposed to be like that. She's an ornery, stubborn, assertive female, and ordinarily would most likely demand to be a part of the action right along with the boys.

I once asked Bob what was the deal here, and he confessed that he had inadvertently left out any female characters from his manuscript for the novel, and it was his editor at the time, Mary Kirchoff, who recommended that he come up with a female co-star forthwith. He did, but because of the short deadline, he did not have the time to integrate her fully into the existing story, so she ended up being rather minor. She was literally an afterthought.

Bob said that this was not an intentional slight by any means. But at the time, fantasy did not have a lot of strong female leads, so he wasn't thinking along those lines. And with that first book being made in such an amazing rush, he just wrote what he knew: male adventurers.

In the next novel, Streams of Silver, Catti-brie starts out still stuck in Icewind Dale as the males are all off adventuring, but she is thrust back into the action as a result of a forced interrogation by Artemis Entreri. Sensing that her friends and family were in danger, Cat took the bold step of heading off into the wilderness alone to try to warn them. Despite her good intentions, she actually spends nearly half the story as a prisoner of Entreri's. Eventually, though, she breaks free and rejoins the male Companions. At this point, Bruenor's initial reaction is to wonder what she's doing out there, and then he goes into protective father mode, concerned that she's in rough shape, and has obviously been manhandled a bit. She is allowed to travel with the male Companions through Mithral Hall, and even gets upgraded adventuring gear. Nevertheless, despite having made some symbolic strides, in the end, as Drizzt and Wulf head off south to try to track Entreri with the abducted Regis, Cat remains behind--this time, to gather allied forces in order to retake Mithral Hall. Once again, for whatever reason, she is given the safer role, while the guys assume the sexy, glamorous, heroic one.

In The Halfling's Gem, Bruenor is saved and rescued from the duergar-infested Mithral Hall by Lady Alustriel, and then he is reunited with his daughter in Longsaddle, back at the Harpells' Ivy Mansion. He quickly decides that it's time for him to leave and join the other male Companions on their adventure to rescue Regis, without even considering bringing Cat along. She has to take matters into her own hands, and assert her right and duty to become part of the adventure party, because Regis is just as much her friend as he is of the guys. Later in the story, as things begin to heat up between Cat and Wulf, Bruenor lightheartedly chides Wulf that he had better show Cat her full measure of respect, or else she would surely make him miserable.

So 'twould appear that Catti-brie had finally come into her own as a woman, demanding to be treated with equal respect to any of the males in her circle, and at last receiving her due. It did not happen overnight, but gradually, over time. It appears that there was some sort of reluctance to do so at first, whether social or just familial.

And if we go back and re-read the prequel novel Sojourn, we read that 11-year-old young Catti-brie was a very precocious child who liked to explore the wilds of Icewind Dale solo, and who didn't take "no" as an answer from her protective father. Despite numerous admonishments, Cat did what she felt in her heart was right, and even when she was caught violating parental restrictions, she still asserted that she had done the right thing.

So with all that in mind, I have to ask, "What gives?" How could Cat be so assertive at 11, yet so passive and unassuming at 21, and then an assertive warrior woman shortly after? Yes, the RW explanation from Bob about how she was an afterthought, combined with the fact that the prequel was actually written years after he had come up with her character in such an intial rush, explains it all in practical, RW terms. But what gives, in world?

I ask this because I hope that if "they" ever make Drizzt movies based on "The Icewind Dale Trilogy", I think it would be great if they actually explored this aspect of the character of Catti-brie. I think it might be nice to see why she took a background role at one point in her life, and then to contrast that with her snapping out of it and demanding to be treated fairly, for once and for all.

Contrast this with Eowyn of TLOTR, who basically did what Cat did as a child: secretly violate the restrictions imposed upon her by the male authority figure in her life, because she thought it the right thing to do. But to my knowledge Eowyn never took the dramatic step of fully standing her ground and demanding that the king treat her as an equal, with success.

Therefore, I have proposed to Bob that if "they" ever make Drizzt movies, they should explain why Cat took such a passive, background role. I have suggested that, as she was approaching age 21 and perhaps an expectation to fly the coop, perhaps King Bruenor tightened the reins about her, a bit. Maybe it was harsh and overbearing. Or maybe it was more insidious: a scared father pleading with his nearly-grown daughter to play along in a submissive role for him, for just a little while longer. And maybe she--tragically--agreed, so as to not break her father's heart. And maybe Bruenor was completely clueless as to how and why such a request was so wrong.

Bob basically said, "Sure, fine, whatevah; that might just work".

Dwarves Deep said that female dwarves traditionally stayed home while the males went off adventuring, and that this tradition had become reinforced by the diminishing fertility rates amongst the stout folk. However, with a reduction in organized clan power, individual she-dwarves were beginning to defy the limitations of this traditional gender role, with success. But there still appeared to be a fairly clear pattern, amongst dwarfkind.

I recall being surprised by Cat's portrayal in TCS, having started the series at the Hunter's Blades trilogy where Cat expresses willingness, even eagerness to face Obould in melee combat after watching him best Wulfgar(though such a confrontation never happens).

I rationalized it as Bruenor being overly protective of his daughter and holding her back from the fight(though if I recall he actually invites her along, she declines, and he agrees it's for the best), but then again, in SoS, when she kills that human wizard it's mentioned that she's killed orcs and goblins before, and it implies she's killed them in some numbers, but that was the first time she'd ever killed a human. So apparently she had partaken in combat, and for some reason(perhaps the scale) elected not to in Crystal Shard.

If an adaptation were to be made of the Crystal Shard, I doubt they'd explore this. Interesting as it may be to answer the question, I'd imagine they'd simply have Cat participate in the action scenes just like any of the men. Avoiding the appearance of sexism and appeasing fans of the later books where Cat is an undeniably capable warrior would take priority over being faithful to the source material in this case.

As for the question at hand, I'm not entirely convinced that true gender equality exists in the realms anymore than it does in real life. Now, women can rises to great levels of power, both personal and political, but this is on an individual basis based on merit. When I look at the world at large, when I look at the common folk, the peasants, even large swaths of nobility, I see the same gender roles that exist in reality. Individual women may be able to achieve greatness, but to paraphrase Erik from another thread, adventurer's are the one percent.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  19:06:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de BieA note about the drow: I think the sexist rigid matriarchy is extremely rare in the Realms, and most people who see that would find it alien to their sensibilities.
I say they either don't read enough fantasy novels, or they don't read the right kind. There are many fantasy settings out there where women are portrayed as way, way superior to men, and are worse than drow priestesses.
I meant that people IN THE REALMS would find it alien to their sensibilities. If you take a person from Cormyr, for instance, who's grown up with a mix of powerful men and women on the throne, and tell him about the drow and their strict matriarchy, he'd no doubt find that very strange.

This comes of something Ed said once, regarding feminism in the Realms. To paraphrase: If you explained the concept of feminism to Azoun IV, he'd find the concept intriguing but generally unnecessary. To him, men and women are equally worthy of respect, so it would never occur to him to see them as unequal.

I like BEAST's analysis of gender in Bob's novels, and will not dissect it, though I want to advance the observation that this is ONE situation, of ONE character (Catti-brie).

And while that does reflect the dominant gender dynamics of the setting (and in a very intriguing way), Cat's example is no more or less relevant than, say, that of Storm Silverhand from Ed's work, or Arilyn Moonblade from Elaine's Elfshadow, Farideh from Erin's Brimstone Angels, or the Fox-at-Twilight from my books.

It is only by looking at the overall treatment of female characters in the Realms that we can get a sense of their treatment in the world, and I think that the trend that emerges is dramatically more egalitarian between the sexes than in our own world.

quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

Well, gender roles and gender inequality aren't the same thing. If the "she-dwarves" who defied their traditional role were treated with disrespect and rage, that would be gender inequality, but I don't see any statement that this was the case. I like to think that the majority of the dwarves in that instance were very happy with the situation at hand, and quite accepting of female dwarves who wanted to go be warriors. There is a balance to be struck when the survival of the species is at question, but generally, I think there's lots of room for equality there.

quote:
That's a key observation. Different people are raised differently in the Realms. Cattie was raised by a very protective father of a much more durable race (dwarves vs. humans), who saw his daughter as very breakable and something dear to be protected, just like most fathers do to their children, male or female. And like most (many) fathers, he was over-protective toward her, and she eventually proved herself and transcended his aegis. I think Cat's story is ultimately a good one for women, proving that in the Realms, they are free to rise as far as men, under their own steam, without gender-based restrictions.

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

As for the question at hand, I'm not entirely convinced that true gender equality exists in the realms anymore than it does in real life. Now, women can rises to great levels of power, both personal and political, but this is on an individual basis based on merit. When I look at the world at large, when I look at the common folk, the peasants, even large swaths of nobility, I see the same gender roles that exist in reality. Individual women may be able to achieve greatness, but to paraphrase Erik from another thread, adventurer's are the one percent.
Examples of "the common folk" and "large swaths of nobility" to support your point?

Also, let's make it clear that no one is saying the Realms is some kind of egalitarian gender utopia, only that *in general*, men and women are considered equal in the world. The Realms simply doesn't have the deep-seated misogyny inherent in much of our RW culture.

As I've said before, the Realms doesn't have the history of harsh social codes, it has a tradition of as many strong female role models as male figures, and it worships a panoply of both male and female gods of more or less equal power (though the goddesses tend to be mightier). With these considerations, I don't think it's surprising that the Realms is much more gender equal than our world.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2012 :  20:49:22  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, indeed... people in Cormyr would be *absolutely shocked* by gender INequality.

That's why they have had so many queens... and why Alusair ascended fully to the throne of Cormyr after Azoun IV's death... and why Alusair's reign as Queen of Cormyr was so long and prosperous.

All sarcasm aside, besides the creator of the Forgotten Realms insistent statements to the contrary, there is no evidence (in the published Realms) to suggest that the Forgotten Realms are any less misogynistic than the real world.

Edited by - The Hidden Lord on 15 Nov 2012 20:51:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000