Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Eytan Strikes Again (MIC in FR article)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  02:43:35  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Eytan strikes again! The last preview of the Magic Item Compendium features Eytan's article on how to incorporate new concepts from the book into the Forgotten Realms. Once again, I think he has done a bang up job of finding interesting bits of existing Realmslore and tying it to these new concepts.

Great work Eytan!

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20070306a

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  05:56:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers to Eytan!

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  06:03:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lliira is misspelled, repeatedly. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  06:24:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to see a nod toward the Scarlet Mummers, though.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  09:06:25  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I take full credit on the name misspelling. Sure, it's possible for editors to catch these things, but we can't blame them for this sort of thing.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 07 Mar 2007 09:10:39
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  11:26:03  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lliira? Scarlet Mummers? Yippie!!!

And don't worry. Everyone seems to misspell Lliira.

Edited by - Uzzy on 07 Mar 2007 11:26:54
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  14:39:56  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonderful article, Eytan! I´m really thrilled with the new open possibilities of items and lore...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 07 Mar 2007 17:53:48
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  15:07:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

And don't worry. Everyone seems to misspell Lliira.

Not everyone misspells her name. :)

But eh. I wasn't blaming anyone, I was just saying it's misspelled.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 07 Mar 2007 15:08:07
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  16:05:36  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

I take full credit on the name misspelling. Sure, it's possible for editors to catch these things, but we can't blame them for this sort of thing.

You mean it's too hard for them to use a spellchecker with a custom dictionary that includes the most common FR/D&D names (like the gods and famous NPCs) ?

Now I understand why there is so many erros in stat blocks

Edited by - Skeptic on 07 Mar 2007 16:08:12
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  16:15:20  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just was thinking... this article, the mention of the Scarlet Mummers, and the other article of Eytan, concerning the new classes, put me to think in make a "Realms adaptation" of the Cloaked Dancer PrC (Complete Scoundrel), linked with the Mummers lore.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  17:17:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

'Tis an ironic typo, if it wasn't intentional.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  17:55:11  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

'Tis an ironic typo, if it wasn't intentional.

It´s wroted in brazilian portuguese

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  18:12:02  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I just was thinking... this article, the mention of the Scarlet Mummers, and the other article of Eytan, concerning the new classes, put me to think in make a "Realms adaptation" of the Cloaked Dancer PrC (Complete Scoundrel), linked with the Mummers lore.

I would help with that, if you were serious about it.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  18:40:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You mean it's too hard for them to use a spellchecker with a custom dictionary that includes the most common FR/D&D names (like the gods and famous NPCs) ?

I actually agree, here. I don't have an axe to grind or anything (nor am I out to "blame" anyone), but isn't it the job of the editor to catch errors?

Nevertheless, good work, Eytan.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Mar 2007 18:40:57
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  18:55:08  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i love it ... though it also would be interesting if someone is able to make the same deal with classes such as Favored Soul, Warlock and Swashblucker *grins*

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  21:19:51  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Favored Soul and Warlock are on the way soon.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  21:21:43  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

quote:

I actually agree, here. I don't have an axe to grind or anything (nor am I out to "blame" anyone), but isn't it the job of the editor to catch errors?

Nevertheless, good work, Eytan.

Yes, but designers can make the jobs of editors easier by trying harder to avoid errors like this. As for stat blocks, well, I can't claim to know much about how many times these things go through, but I can say that they have proven to be a problem for nearly every designer I know. I've talked extensively with the guys over in development and they've indicated that they are working hard to find a new system for how to edit them.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  02:07:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, but designers can make the jobs of editors easier by trying harder to avoid errors like this.

True enough.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  04:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really like the Warlock article, in fact all of your articles have been excellent. I've been referring all of my players to your articles. My group seems to really like the beguiler, knight, and duskblade classes, and this was exactly what we needed to add more Realms flavor to the classes. Thanks!

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  10:14:53  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

I really like the Warlock article, in fact all of your articles have been excellent. I've been referring all of my players to your articles. My group seems to really like the beguiler, knight, and duskblade classes, and this was exactly what we needed to add more Realms flavor to the classes. Thanks!

Thanks. I'm really glad to hear that people are getting use of these articles.

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  10:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ill be interested to see what youve done with the favoured souls

For my own campaign Ive made them a new class that have only recently started to appear in the realms since the Time of Troubles and are ussually most common in the area where that god spent Avatar crisis.

quote:

Favoured Souls are the result of a Non divine spellcasting being coming into prolonged contact with an Avatar. While a number of Favoured Souls where adults or children during Time of Troubles sages who have studied the subject have found that most Favoured Souls where either concieved or carried during the Time of Troubles. Favoured Souls are not a gods children but are mortal children who where exposed to an avatars before they where born

Favoured Souls of Bane have appeared in Zhentil Keep, Scardale and Tantras

Favoured Souls of Torm have been found in Tantras

Favoured Souls of Helm have appeared in Northen Cormyr and Waterdeep

Favoured Souls of Mykrul have appeared in Waterdeep (it is unknown who is granting there spells)

Favoured Souls of Tymora have apeared in Arabel

Favoured Souls of Mystra have appeared in Northern Cormyr

Favoured Souls of Sune have appeared in Tezzir

Favoured Souls of Talos have appeared in Tsurlagol

Favoured Souls of Sharess have appeared in Calimport

Favoured Souls of Selune have appeared in Waterdeep

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  11:44:14  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eytan, are you going to do an article about how to incorporate the classes that use incarnum into the Realms?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2007 :  21:38:58  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's not a bad idea, Dargoth, and what I've written certainly could be reconciled with it, though I went a slightly different route, as you will see.

As for Incarnum, I am planning on covering it eventually. I can't guarantee it or say when it will be (certainly after the more standard classes have been covered), but it is on my list, along with classes from both Tomes, psionic classes, and some other more esoteric ones.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000