Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 I'm confused
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HarperRanger
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  04:11:23  Show Profile  Visit HarperRanger's Homepage Send HarperRanger a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, I started reading the Elminster series. I've read all the R.A. Drizzt books, the Avatar series, WotSQ, Daughter of the drow and so on but I hadn't read the El series yet so...

Here's my confusion. What the heck happenned between El in Myth Drannor and Temptation?

I'm not looking for spoilers. What I want to know is are there books that explain the gap in time between those 2 books?

Now there are a couple series I have not read like the Mythal series and a couple others. I can't keep up but I have read quite a few of the FR novels but I'm stumped on this one.

HR

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  04:33:56  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are these the silent years as listed in the front of temptation of Elminster??
Go to Top of Page

HarperRanger
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  11:51:27  Show Profile  Visit HarperRanger's Homepage Send HarperRanger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yep. i want to know what happenned inbetween myth drannor and the silent years? if it comes up in El in Hell, cool. but I feel like i'm missing something inbetween those 2 books.

They cast this big ol spell at the end of myth, then EL ends up under some rock in the beginning of temptation? i don't get it...

HR

P.S. I hope I didn't give anything away with the way I phrased that...
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  15:16:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We're all hoping Ed will get the chance to write more books that "fill in the gaps" in Elminster's Saga.
The problem is WotC's packaging of the books. They are not, and never have been, a neat chronological series the way Bob's Drizzt books have become (trilogy, followed by trilogy, followed by trilogy; I say "become" because even Bob "went back in time" to write a trilogy set BEFORE the one first published). Ed has always been so busy with a desk-full of Realms projects that he's written books covering "key" events or times Elminster was involved in, and not even all that many of those.
So you're not missing any books. Yet. I hope one day that books from Ed's pen will appear to fill those gaps. All of the series you listed in the second sentence of your post were PLANNED and written as coherent chronological series. If Ed tried to cover Elminster the same way, we'd be looking at a string of about six hundred novels (hope you have a lot of time to sit and read ).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2007 :  18:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm fairly certain that the Elminster series isn't supposed to be a hard-and-fast biography of Elminster, although I certainly agree that more stories about his earlier adventures would be welcome.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

HarperRanger
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  02:51:52  Show Profile  Visit HarperRanger's Homepage Send HarperRanger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*bows to the Lady Herald*

Thanks for the info guys.

So besides pooring over all Ed's Realm's Lore, is there a novel that details the Fall of Myth Drannor? I remember the old 2nd ED. MD box set. My old DM ran few campains there and used parts of the "wild magic" concept in his own world (I hated him for that). But I don't remember if the box set included the history and reason for the Fall.

I know the Last Mythal series details the Elves return to MD but I haven't read that yet. That comes after the El series:)

HR
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  02:57:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves and the Fall of Myth Drannor sourcebooks are the two best sources for Cormanthyr and it's fall. The second module/sourcebook contains detailed info on who died in which battle, dates, etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  02:58:44  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HarperRanger

*bows to the Lady Herald*

Thanks for the info guys.

So besides pooring over all Ed's Realm's Lore, is there a novel that details the Fall of Myth Drannor?

No novel, but there is a sourcebook for it (maybe Wooly can get us the link?).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  03:06:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah! Why should Wooly have all the fun?

Here's the link:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  03:07:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves and the Fall of Myth Drannor sourcebooks are the two best sources for Cormanthyr and it's fall. The second module/sourcebook contains detailed info on who died in which battle, dates, etc.

Lost Empires of Faerūn has the odd few tidbits as well.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  03:09:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Lost Empires of Faerūn has the odd few tidbits as well.

Nod, but it's not detailed like it is in the Fall sourcebook. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  03:56:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye.

Still, I find it satisfying to have *most* applicable Realmslore sources at hand for something like this.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2007 :  10:24:18  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One
If Ed tried to cover Elminster the same way, we'd be looking at a string of about six hundred novels (hope you have a lot of time to sit and read ).
And this is even more true of the Realms generally: the sources as a whole give us a strong picture of the overall pattern and frame of the Faerūn, enough to know how very little we know of what exists and what happens each year via the novels and other sources. The Elminster novels -- all Realms novels -- are pinprick 'highlights' from a vastly greater multidimensional tapestry. This bears stating and restating.

I'd argue that Fall of Myth Drannor *is* a novel -- just outside the conventions of modern commercial fiction -- and a good one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000