Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dangit (R.A. Salvatore Books)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vajumperdude
Acolyte

Iraq
3 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  08:03:14  Show Profile  Visit vajumperdude's Homepage Send vajumperdude a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
All I have to say here, is that if you decide to read the R.A. Salvatore books, read them in order! I just finished the Passage to Dawn book and I had already read most every other book printed by him, and it really ruined alot of the suspense of the book. All thirteen of his books (may be more now, not quite sure)are pretty much a continuing story, so be sure to read them in the correct order.
My rant is done.

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  08:12:48  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For anyone interested in such an order - it is listed here:

Drizzt Books & stories in Reading Order

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 21 Feb 2007 08:13:25
Go to Top of Page

Mazrim_Taim
Learned Scribe

341 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  17:38:33  Show Profile  Visit Mazrim_Taim's Homepage Send Mazrim_Taim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the Icewind Dale Trilogy before the Dark Elf Trilogy, which I think is fine.

And if the PCs DO win their ways through all the liches to Larloch, “he” will almost certainly be just another lich (loaded with explosive spells) set up as a decoy, with dozens of hidden liches waiting to pounce on any surviving PCs who ‘celebrate’ after they take Larloch down. As the REAL Larloch watches (magical scrying) from afar. Myself, as DM, I’d be wondering: “Such a glorious game, so many opportunities laid out before your PCs to devote your time to, and THIS fixation is the best you can come up with? Are you SURE you’re adventurers?” -Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Mazrim_Taim on 21 Feb 2007 17:39:47
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  18:48:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

I read the Icewind Dale Trilogy before the Dark Elf Trilogy, which I think is fine.

Agreed.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  19:43:41  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the link is chronological, Icewind was published first so with those two it doesn't really make a difference, which you read first.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  21:25:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've read them both ways, chronologically and by publishing order. It really isn't a big deal, either way. But my preference is to always read books in chronological order.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ilztfryn Claddghym
Seeker

Canada
60 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2007 :  23:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Ilztfryn Claddghym's Homepage Send Ilztfryn Claddghym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the HBT first and then the rest in order and that didn't bother me one bit!

Ever dreamed of role playing in Faerun? Battling Obould's forces in the North or Pirates at sea? Join this board www.faerunrp.com/forum
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  17:47:11  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

For anyone interested in such an order - it is listed here:

Drizzt Books & stories in Reading Order

Very helpful site...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  18:06:47  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Helpful indeed...I didn't know there was so much out there on Drizzt...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  18:37:12  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's suspense in these books?
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  18:39:42  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To a moderate degree...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  19:10:24  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Karzak

There's suspense in these books?

quite a lot

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  19:13:30  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't say I agree.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  13:33:11  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also prefer Chronological order as it can be fixed better that way after the first ones are published.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2007 :  22:47:44  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am in the process of re-reading the series and am now going in chronological order instead of published order. I really had no problem sorting the story in my mind, although it is disppointing to find out about events that you aren't supposed to know about. I don't find the stories all that suspenseful, I actually find them a little predictable (I guess when you read too much everything becomes predictable) but I like the characters so I like the series.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  02:13:32  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

(I guess when you read too much everything becomes predictable)

Quoted For Truth!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000