Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Sharess versus Sune
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2007 :  09:54:08  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

What's the difference, though, between love that is "noble" and love that is "dirty"?

One you take home to meet your parents, the other you go back to their place.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2007 :  18:42:51  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:

What's the difference, though, between love that is "noble" and love that is "dirty"?

One you take home to meet your parents, the other you go back to their place.

Heh. On a serious note, though, I think if the "love" in question really is love, then there aren't "two different kinds".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2007 :  23:13:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's actually an interesting point.

The entire concept of love, because even the noblest love can be "dirty" at times, could be embodied by the aspects which Sune supports.

I said earlier that "Sune is about how love can lead you to the truest path of your heart's desire... sometimes even if you don't know it yet yourself." Sometimes, we don't see the love we have for another staring us right in the face, because we're consumed with feelings that impose themselves upon the love we should be feeling -- feelings of hatred, of anger, or perhaps, even resentment. This changes the state of what could be a noble love, to something that is "dirty". If the love is meant to be, then it will endure. It will evolve. It will become your true path to your heart's desire.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2007 :  00:46:32  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah Sage, such flowery words . . . surely this is how you continue to make Lady K swoon, eh? . . .
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2007 :  01:40:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heehee, good points, Sage.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2007 :  01:41:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Ah Sage, such flowery words . . . surely this is how you continue to make Lady K swoon, eh? . . .

Well, it certainly hasn't been the result of my appearance.

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Mar 2007 01:41:47
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  11:01:42  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Well, it certainly hasn't been the result of my appearance.

What about your smell, then?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2007 :  11:50:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You heard about that then, huh?

Go to Top of Page

Talanfir Swiftfeet
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  10:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Talanfir Swiftfeet's Homepage Send Talanfir Swiftfeet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Sune a patron of only romantic love? What about brotherly love or motherly love or love for a pet etc.?

I am Talanfir Swiftfeet. (In)famous across the Swoardcoast as "Tal the Swift", Brandobaris´ seraph of mischief. If ye find yer shoelaces tied together while trying to catch a thief or meet a king who is angry because somebody switched the places of his chamberpot and his crown, ye can usually (try to) find me near.

If I had a halfling mother and a human father, would I be a half-halfling or a threequarterling?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  14:55:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Talanfir Swiftfeet

Is Sune a patron of only romantic love? What about brotherly love or motherly love or love for a pet etc.?

She's the deity of all forms of love, beauty, and passion. So, to me, she would indeed be the deity of brotherly love, family love, and the love people feel for their animals, etc.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  15:02:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd agree with that for the most part.

Sune's dogma does acknowledge the reality that not all love is of the romantic kind... and that warm friendship and deep admiration for others -- which can be 'types' of love, though not necessarily romantic, shared between friends and family -- are just as much important to the faith, as is the concept of true and romantic love.

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Mar 2007 15:05:06
Go to Top of Page

yargarth
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  06:01:43  Show Profile  Visit yargarth's Homepage Send yargarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sune.

"You take a step, then another. That's the journey. But to take a step with your eyes open is not a journey at all, it's a remaking of your own mind."

-Orson Scott Card
Ender in Exile
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  19:15:58  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have to go with Sune...but Sharess is more fun...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

green knight
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2007 :  23:29:39  Show Profile  Visit green knight's Homepage Send green knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have the answer to whom would win a mud wrestling match between Sune and Sharess....................

everybody who got to watch.

Green knight
Go to Top of Page

Darkhund
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  03:58:14  Show Profile  Visit Darkhund's Homepage Send Darkhund a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've an example I always use to define just how different the two are.

The sharessan bites into the delicious fruit, savouring every drop of juice, every crunch of it. The Sunite watches, and says that its beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  14:20:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh!

Sharess has a special place in my heart because she is the goddess of CATS.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  20:07:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh!

Capitalizing that last word makes me think of that one particular internet craze... To paraphrase, "All your Realms are belong to us!"

I think I am officially required to go hide after bringing up the All Your Base craze...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  20:45:13  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sune of course..

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Robspieree
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2007 :  22:15:26  Show Profile Send Robspieree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sharess with a bit of Loviatar on the side :D

Rob

Friends are the family we choose.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  14:47:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Heh!

Capitalizing that last word makes me think of that one particular internet craze... To paraphrase, "All your Realms are belong to us!"

I think I am officially required to go hide after bringing up the All Your Base craze...

Not that Cats. I mean the cute, cuddly mammal.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2008 :  22:34:37  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something about Sharess tells me she is more of the "ahhhh cute and cuddly" type of love while Sune is more of the "true love"

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  00:11:36  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's only one way to know who's better. Try them both out.

Here I am, lady goddesses, fanning myself with a giant feather...
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  15:30:47  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with most of the other replies. Sune is the goddess of Love and Beauty, while Sharress is the goddess of Pleasure and Hedonism.

This makes Sune the winner in this poll.

Ionik Knight

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  20:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sune is clearly the goddess of love... whereas Sharess is the goddess of making love. That's not to say Sune doesn't condone or even encourage the making love thing, but she's got a more pure approach to love (love for love's sake, beauty is truth, and all that jazz) and Sharess is all about enjoying the sensual pleasures --many of which may crossover with Sune's sphere of influence.

They should just hook up already... its a far more likely matchup than Tyr trying to court Sune.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  21:36:07  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

Sune is clearly the goddess of love... whereas Sharess is the goddess of making love. That's not to say Sune doesn't condone or even encourage the making love thing, but she's got a more pure approach to love (love for love's sake, beauty is truth, and all that jazz) and Sharess is all about enjoying the sensual pleasures --many of which may crossover with Sune's sphere of influence.

They should just hook up already... its a far more likely matchup than Tyr trying to court Sune.

Amen brother, in fact I think Tyr should go back to Asgard...he was much more hip when he was chilling with Thor and the All Father.

Ionik Knight

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  22:21:16  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mind Tyr in the Realms... even like him. But sometimes he's treated poorly.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  03:40:22  Show Profile Send see a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sune? Sharess? Bah!

Sharindlar.

(Wait, what do you mean, she doesn't have a beard anymore? Is nothing sacred?)
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  11:37:13  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted the neutral option because they seem very different sorts of love goddesses to me! But I vote Sharess cause I like cats more than people. I'll take bitchy cat maybe i'll let you pet me cat love over the love of a person any day!
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  17:12:29  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forget the stupid cats. Redhead wins any day. Go Sune.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  20:42:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dwarvenranger

Forget the stupid cats.

No. Cats are a major reason why I like Sharess.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000