Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  09:55:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another:

Detect Metal
Divination
Level: Brd 3, Clr 3, Drd 2, Sor/Wiz 3, Assassin 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Area: Quarter circle emanating from you to the extreme of the range
Duration: Concentration, up to one minute per level (D)

Your character detects metal of any within range. The amount of information revealed depends on the amount of time spent studying a particular object or group of objects:

First round: Presence or absence of metal.

Second round: Number and size of metallic objects, vague locations thereof.

[i]Third round:[I] Shape of objects, exact locations, type of metal.

This spell does not reveal what the metallic object is used for, though after three rounds of study, the caster knows the exact shape of the object and thus can guess superficial functions. (A blade, a hair pin, a belt buckle.) The spell is blocked by 3 feet of dirt and/or wood, 1 foot of stone, or the surface of any metal. (The spell cannot detect metal under metal, such as a knife concealed under metal armor, or coins in a metal chest.) If the metal has magical properties, they are not revealed.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  10:19:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brynweir, I'm glad you like the items. As for finding the time to create these marvelous creations, well, I am always thinking about D&D and FR.

::The Sage looks over the scrolls, the Bookwyrm had handed to him. The Sage's expert eye immediately scans the glyphs and script on the parchments, detailing the spells abilities and components. After a few moments, he lifts his head and looks over at the Bookwyrm, who is quietly admiring the Ring of Divine Holiness on display.

"These are indeed very fascinating creations, my friend. I would be honoured to make them available in my shop", the Sage says as he walks over to his desk to prepare the scrolls for sale
::

These are great Bookwyrm. I am glad someone has finally decided to contribute some spells. They seem well balanced, and look like interesting additions to any mage spellbook. I might try them out in my campaign on the weekend.

I had been deciding whether to display some of my spell creations, but I'll confess that I was actually waiting for somebody else to do it first, and see the response they get. I guess I'll start posting spell creations as well now.

Thanks for the contribution.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Jun 2003 10:20:12
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  10:22:44  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome. Here's another; this one took a little more effort, but I think I got it balanced.

Blind Seer
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: Touch
Target: You
Duration: 10 minutes per caster level

After casting this spell, your character is blind for the duration of the spell, or until it is dispelled. It cannot be dismissed, but dispell magic cast by the same character always succeeds in dispelling its effects.

1 round after casting the spell, your character’s senses begin expanding outward at a rate of 10 feet per round, until reaching the full extent of the spell at 60 feet. In this area, the character can sense exactly where solid objects are, even if he or she would not be able to see them visually (for instance, behind the caster, behind another object, or masked by an illusion spell that has no tactile aspect). The character cannot be flanked, or affected by gaze attacks or any spells that attack sight (blindness, flare, etc.).

The spell can only sense surfaces, and cannot sense beyond anything that would stop an object (though it can go around objects so long as the distance does not exceed the maximum). Glass is opaque to the caster, liquids and gas are undetectable, unraised writing cannot be read, colors cannot be seen. After the spell is ended, the caster is still blind for 1/10th the time spent under the spell’s influence.

Focus: A blindfold, tied over the caster’s eyes. (The blindfold may be removed after casting the spell.)

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  10:27:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great, another fine addition. I like this one also. In a way it reminds me of the 2e non-weapon proficiency I created to emulate Daredevil's blindsight abilities.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  10:41:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sort of thing was what I had in mind. Especially the way it was demonstrated in the previews for the Daredevil movie (I didn't see it, though), where he picks up a length of pipe or something and clanges it against the wall, allowing him to 'see' the layout of the room from the sound vibrations.

That sort of black-and-white picture is what I had in mind. But blind seer can work without any sound at all. It only needs solid objects.

I rather like the idea that the caster can't see liquids. Not only does that mean it works underwater, but when I wrote that, I had the idea of the caster walking along, sensing the ground . . . and then suddenly stepping in some puddle of something he really didn't want to step into in the first place.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  06:16:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another spell. Not sure if it would be of any use to the average spellcaster, but I thought it might be of some interest.

Camouflage
Illusion [Glamor]
Level: Brd 1, Drd 1, Sor/Wiz 1, Assassin 1, Harper Scout 1
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 action/1 round [see text]
Target: You
Duration: 10 minutes per level

Upon completion of the spell, the caster is enshrouded in the likeness of a close-by inanimate object. This is a full-round action if the caster chooses the object; otherwise the illusion is random. The object emulated must be within five feet, and within one size category smaller, or two sizes larger, than the caster.

The image is not an exact copy, so an unwary observer is not alerted by two identical objects (such as two trees with exactly the same patterns). A successful Spot check (DC 18) can alert the observer to some subtle strangeness to the way the object is situated. If the observer is familiar with that area, the DC is only 10. Intimate familiarity lowers the DC to a mere 5; this low DC is also applicable if the object copied is not one likely to have a double near by. (Such as two campfires, two desks, two statues.)

The caster needs no special mental image of the illusion, thus making this a good choice for a sudden need for concealment; it is also a good way to stage an ambush. The illusion is also not detectable by see invisibility, but the caster must remain in place or the illusion fails. Sudden movements or any change of position relative to the original object dispels it. Spellcasting is still possible (even with spells that would end an invisibility spell, though spells with an obvious source will give away the caster’s position as normal).

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 10 Jun 2003 06:22:20
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  10:09:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this Bookwyrm. Of course being a partial-Bard-support-freak, I like anything that gives the Bard character class the edge it so desperately needs.

I think personally, that the Bard and Assassin classes would find this spell of near-infinite more use than your average sorcerer/wizard, but I think that is mainly because the spell better supports the general traits and abilities normally associated with bards and assassins.

Keep up the great work,

May your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  14:55:06  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wild elf paints

a sorcerer can make that kind of tatoos, which cannot be detected by magic. They allows the painted elf gain a resistance like the spell and sharp her sight : she gains a +2 magic enhancement in spot. The paint desapears as soon as the elf receives three attacks involving the resistance power.

not powerful, but can useful for a pack of wild elves, what do u think? I can also be a present made by the tribe sorcerer, but can't be sold of course.
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  14:58:27  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the silent arrows

these arrows made by the wild elves don't produce any sound when cast even when they touch something. Besides, they make a silent spell in 10ft. radius during one round after what they vanish in a little fog.

same users
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  16:02:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are both very interesting eilinel, especially the the silent arrows. I have been looking for an interesting weapon to give a hired assassin in one of my many campaigns. These arrows have triggered a few ideas that I can run in the campaign along with these arrows.

Also, the wild elf pants seem well balanced. Can you by chance describe what the elven tatoos look like. Do they represent cultural significance for the wild elf, religious runes, or do they simply serve as decoration.

Thanks for the contribution anyway, and keep the good works coming.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  16:04:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, just an update -

New items will be delivered to the Magic Shop on Friday...watch for them.

Special: Mournblade, any update on the armour you were going to send to the Shop. My Battle Mage PC is curious .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  03:56:48  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another spell -- I seem to be neglecting my forge.

Kaupaer’s Overactive Nerves
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Target: One creature touched
Duration: 10 minutes per level
Saving Throw: None (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes

As Kaupaer’s Skittish Nerves, but longer, and adds the following: +2 dodge bonus to AC, and +2 enhancement bonus to Listen and Spot.

The subject becomes jumpy, reacting to every little sight or sound as if it were in constant danger, and so is under a -2 penalty to appearance-based checks, especially Diplomacy. This affects the subject’s companions as well, and they are forced to take a -1 penalty to Diplomacy checks if their jittery friend is with them.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 11 Jun 2003 07:20:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:07:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff Bookwyrm. I think perhaps I should set aside a portion of the Shop for special spell scrolls created by the Bookwyrm .

What do you think?.

Anyway here's a new selection of magical items. I have made them available earlier than Friday, as I will be considerably busy with some alternate research at the library over the next two days, and thus will not have much time to post.

The items should be up in a few minutes.

Enjoy.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:15:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the first for today -

Mage-Killer
Fashioned by Sharan clerics, these weapons are used by the elite members of a special fighter/barbarian order dedicated to the Temple for special duties. The unit, known as the Iron Warriors have totally given themselves over to the ideals of the church carrying out any duties considered too sensitive for the clergy to handle. Their main prey consists mostly of Mystran wizards, sorcerers dedicated to Azuth, or any type of arcane spellcaster.

The swords are made of polished obsidian-like material, with hilts made completely of polished bones, composed from their enemies. Each blade bears the symbol to Shar and a small series of knicks in the base of the hilt, to indicate the number of mageslayings performed by this particular blade.

Damage: 1d8+2
Caster Level: 12th
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, dispel magic, spell turning
Market Price: 77,321 gp
Cost to Create: 36,765 gp + 2,100 XP
Special:
This +2 longsword is designed as a complement weapon to the Wizard-Slayer short-sword. This +2 longsword allows the user to cast spell turning once every two days and also, once per day, be able to cast a targeted dispel magic against any arcane spellcasting opponent the weapon touches.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:16:42  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No need for that. I'm sure that other spells will be comming in soon, so I won't be the only one. You said that there would be some from you sometime, and I know Eilinel has one himself. Hopefully he'll make a scroll for us and send it in.

By the way, I forgot a mention of the effect the spell has on the subject. I'll put that in right away.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:17:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the second new item -

Wizard-Slayer
These blades are also fashioned by Sharan clerics, for usage in similar situations as described above for the Mage-Killer. The only difference being, these weapons are normally only given to the commanding officer of each unit in the order. However situations demanding more of these weapons can easily result in every member of the unit being supplied with them.

They are crafted from regular silvery metals, and have few distinguishing features. Only symbols to Shar decorate the hilt of the blade.

Damage: 1d6+2 (arcane only)
Caster Level: 9th
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor
Special:
This short-sword weapon is designed to eliminate enemy arcane spellcasters. When used against wizards or sorcerers the enhancements bonus to the weapon is +2, better than average short-swords, and deals an extra +1d6 points of extra damage.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:18:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I do have some spells coming. I am just waiting for the return of my notebook .

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:19:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the next new addition -

Kelemvor's Heart
This black obsidian stone is approximately 10 cm in diameter and 4 cm in width. It is roughly spherical in shape and has rough-shode edges. The sides of the stone have been cut in a hap-hazard fashion, creating facets on the stone at various angles.

This obsidian stone was given by Oldamnar to the gnome barbarian, Ghelbin, during the battles that frequently occured while they were both a part of the Fire River Trading Company out of Tantras (see Oldamnar's other two entries for more information).

Caster Level: 12th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, suggestion, disintegrate
Market Price: 40,543 gp
Special:
This stone's magic will only work if invoked by a gnome or other similar 'small' class races. Once the stone is activated, one randomly selected enemy with 10 feet of the bearer is subjected to a suggestion spell. It makes the opponent think that they should retreive the stone from the hand of the bearer and let him go. Thus, the next enemy creature to touch the stone (other than the gnome/halfling/etc. who bears it) is then the target of a disintegrate spell. The stone may only be used once per day.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:20:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is another new item today -

The Reading of Truth
This gem-encrusted gray square of wood is crafted into the similar shape of a book or tome.

Caster Level: 15th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, greater dispelling
Market Price: 57,321 gp
Special:
The book-like item grants it's function and the special arcane command word ("Oghma") to any non-evil wizard or sorcerer that touches the item. The non-evil arcane spellcaster who carries the book automatically is granted a +4 insight bonus to saving throws against illusions and illusionary magic. Also, once every two days upon uttering the command word for the item, can the bearer command the item to dispel all illusions in a 25-foot radius centered on the bearer's location as if a similar greater dispelling was cast.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:21:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the last item for today -

The Undeath Jewel
This fist-sized, red, highly reflective gem is as evil as Bane's black heart. The gem was crafted in ancient times by clerics of an unknown Death god.

Caster Level: 10th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, halt undead
Market Price: 36,000 gp
Special:
Any types of Undead who glance upon the gem will see it shine with a unholy deathly-glowing light, but to all other non-Undead creatures, they see it only as a lightless red gem. When it is held in the bearers hand, above the chest, the Undeath Jewel provides a +10 resistance bonus to the bearers saving throws against fear checks to all Undead within 10 feet of the bearer.

Once per day the gem can be used by the bearer to halt an undead creature as if the creature had been affected by a cast halt undead spell.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:22:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that's all for this week. I may not have any updates next week, due to my heavy work-load on the upcoming 3e Planescape campaign, and my continuing library research.

But I'll try and post something here if I get the chance, anyway as always, keep logged into this scroll.

Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  00:13:39  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Targon fingers the red jewel.*
I like this new batch of items. They might come in handy if Enalis puts us against some undead. How I hate undead creatures!
*Targon puts the jewel down then walks to the long and short swords but keeps his hands away from them.*

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  07:07:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick post from the library -

Targon, if you have a particular dislike of Undead, I have some fascinating new items that deal with Undeath in some way or another coming soon. In fact part of the reason I am at the library is to study some references for these ideas.

Expect some really unique items...next week sometime .

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  16:52:44  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword of prismatic spray
Once a day, the wielder of this sword can call the power of the sword as a free action. The next opponent he strikes is hit as if he were the target of one of the effect of the spell. Roll a dice to know which effect happens. The effect is considered as cast by a 12th wizard and the DC is 15 to avoid.
i don't know what kind of bonus to add. What do u think?
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  17:00:45  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wand of distortion

This strange magic item never stops to move without any organisation. The wielder can make a will check (DC 15) to have the advantage on it and force the item to take the shape the wielder wants. The wand can take the shape of an item as small as a dagger and as big as a half-pick. Even if it can take any shape, it is usually polymorphed in a weapon, since it allows a +3 bonus during the first 3 rounds of fight per day, after what it remains a normal weapon. Anybody is proficient with it, even when the shape is an item with what the wielder is normally not proficient.
One time a week, the wielder can call the most powerful power of the wand, which allows the wielder to polymorph self as the spell. But the main difference is that the wielder don’t cess to change his shape every round. He can however make actions, but he does not have a control on the change. This power lasts ten rounds before ending. Here is the random table of changes :

1 allip (demon)
2 athach
3 bodak
4 bugbear
5 chokerspawn
6 succubus
7 bebilith (demon)
8 drider
9 ettin
10 gargoyle
11 fire giant
12 girallon
13 harpy
14 howler
15 minotaur
16 ogre
17 owlbear
18 troll
19 umber hulk
20 vampire

Every time the wielder uses this power, he has to make a Will save to not become chaotic evil (DC 18).

cannot be sold.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  20:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that, Eilinel. I've been wanting a polymorphing weapon for a while, but never thought to make it a wand. I also like how it's +3 at first. However, I think it should fade away, so that it's +2, then +1, then normal.

Also, why can't it be sold? Does the wand itself prohibit that?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  07:38:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilinel said -
quote:
i don't know what kind of bonus to add. What do u think?

This depends really on whether the longsword (I am assuming it is a longsword) is forged from special materials like mithral or any other metal which normally endows a enchancement bonus.

But considering the overall properties you have outlined, and the addition of only one spell ability, I would suggest perhaps a +1 or +2 bonus, but this is totally dependent on the type of sword. If it is a longsword, then go with the +1 bonus.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  07:40:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I forgot to add -

Eilinel the second magical item is fine, but, for the potential bonuses you receive (mainly the type of creature you polymorph youself into) it seems to be a little too powerful, and not very balanced in terms of penalties. Instead of having the 'Will save to not become chaotic evil (DC 18)', why don't you make it that if he fails his Will save, he stays in his new form as a chaotic evil creature permanently, or until a wish, or other similar spell can be cast to restore him to normal.

Just a suggestion, if seems fine the way it is, but the penalty just doesn't seem to balance with the powerful advantages. Anyway I hope you intend to post more items, I like everyone to try and contribute something.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2003 :  18:13:07  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Also, just an update -

New items will be delivered to the Magic Shop on Friday...watch for them.

Special: Mournblade, any update on the armour you were going to send to the Shop. My Battle Mage PC is curious .

I'll do that when I return form my journeys of the day!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 14 Jun 2003 18:14:18
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2003 :  18:59:50  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Eilinel the second magical item is fine, but, for the potential bonuses you receive (mainly the type of creature you polymorph youself into) it seems to be a little too powerful, and not very balanced in terms of penalties. Instead of having the 'Will save to not become chaotic evil (DC 18)', why don't you make it that if he fails his Will save, he stays in his new form as a chaotic evil creature permanently, or until a wish, or other similar spell can be cast to restore him to normal.

this is actually a great idea, i will think about that... thanks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000