Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2011 :  16:42:39  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Dagger Reins of Drollus

Description: These paired daggers are virtually identical, and seem to be of elven design. Their leaf-shaped blades demonstrate a subtle curve and a razor’s edge. The hilts are carved from duskwood deadfalls and ensorcelled so that they have shown no indication of wear over seven centuries of use. They’re bound with thin strips of wyvern hide and most curious of all, around the pommel and lower haft of each dagger is a tightly woven chain of gold. Each chain is made from 1,892 minute links, about as thin as three strands of hair, a full 10’ long when unravelled, and virtually unbreakable. At the end of each chain is a small gold ring, which fits neatly the little finger of an elf.
These are the reins for which the daggers are named, and they never become tangled, even when unravelled. Even the most clumsy wielder finds it effortless to wind the reins back around their hilts in a matter of moments, they lie so flush against the handle they don’t remotely affect the comfort of one’s grip. An engraving of a tree with long sinuous branches graces the blade of each dagger; tiny differences in the positioning of the snaking limbs are the only way to distinguish one knife from the other.
The Dagger Reins of Drollus were created in the Year of the Shattered Sceptre (614 DR) in the city of Myth Dyraalis – they were last of the Three Keyleaf Forgings made by the legendary trio of weaponsmiths Faelranduil Larkshyr of the elves, Ardelve Deepdaunt of the dwarves, and Gwithian Runeroot of the gnomes. For three centuries heroes of Myth Dyraalis wielded the Dagger Reins in defence of their city; it was instrumental in fending off a flight of dragons in the Year of the Last Hunt (722 DR) which somehow found its way through the cloaking mythal, and in the hands of the half-elven ranger Alosrin Fernsong it defeated Maso the Treacherous (a doppelganger agent of the beholders) in the Year of the Empty Throne (850 DR).
Eventually the Dagger Reins were lost after being smuggled out of the city by the Calishite master-thief Nilezzim in the Year of Waiting (907 DR). A few months after the theft, agents of Myth Dyraalis found Nilezzim’s pulverised remains on the rocky flanks of the Small Teeth Mountains. He had clearly fallen from a great height. No trace of the Dagger Reins were found.
As the years turned, Myth Dyraalis existence drifted from fact into legend in the realms of men. Its name was corrupted to Drollus, and periodically a tale of someone wielding the Dagger Reins of Drollus would surface. Conversely, these latter stories always saw the weapons in the hands of villains and their magic subverted to the cause of evil. Notable names on this wicked roll call of wielders have been Vitan Ren of the Twisted Rune, the necromancer Ramic Gravenquill, and the assassin Grenneth Redgard.
The current whereabouts of the Dagger Reins of Drollus are unknown. Myth Dyraalis thrives still, but its existence is a secret known only to a few elves and gnomes. The insular community no longer seeks the lost Keywood Forgings, so the Dagger Reins of Drollus are free for the taking – should anyone discover them.
Powers: The power of the Dagger Reins of Drollus is only really evident when they are used together. A single dagger functions merely as a dagger+1, but when dual-wielded they are equivalent to daggers+2.
Their true potential becomes apparent when hurled simultaneously at a single opponent. As thrown weapons, they have a range of 10’. When the wielder hurls the daggers, their chains unravel, maintaining their connection to the wielder with the finger rings at the end of the chains. Thanks to the chains, the wielder can return the daggers to his hands with a sharp tug, regardless of whether they strike or not. This action is considered equivalent to drawing a weapon. The powerful enchantments woven into the reins mean they cannot be sundered. The wielder of the Dagger Reins of Drollus can be disarmed, although this is only momentary, as the wielder can use the chains to return a lost blade to his hand.
If both daggers strike a creature of the humanoid or giant type, that creature must make a Will save (DC 15+the combined damage inflicted by both daggers, including magical bonuses and Str modifiers) to resist the blades’ domination enchantment. Failure indicates the creature immediately becomes docile. It takes no further action whilst the Dagger Reins of Drollus are embedded in its flesh – it cannot attack, cast spells, communicate or even defend itself. It can move, but only in a stumbling, lethargic fashion (half its standard movement rate) as directed by the wielder of the Dagger Reins of Drollus, who is holding the chains connected to the daggers’ hilts. If the first save fails, the victim remains in this state indefinitely. The enchantment is broken if the victim loses hit points (this must be lethal damage), or if one or both of the daggers are removed from its flesh (the victim cannot do this for itself, but another can as a standard action).
The Dagger Reins’ wielder is also restricted. He must continue to grip the chains in order to exert his will over his victim. He cannot wield another weapon, and any spell requiring a somatic component can only be cast following a DC 20+spell level Concentration check. He must also remain within 10’ of the victim – as this is the extent of the chains’ reach. He can end the domination effect by using the reins to yank the daggers out of his victim’s body.
Against animals and magical beasts the Dagger Reins of Drollus are more powerful. The wielder attacks in the normal way, but should the target fail its save its will is wholly dominated by the magic of the Dagger Reins. The wielder can direct it as he sees fit, including instructing it to attack or use special abilities. The creature remains dominated even if injured; removing the daggers is the only way to end the enchantment. However, the wielder is limited by the length of the reins. In many cases, the most successful tactic for the wielder is to leap astride the dominated creature and ride it (the wielder gains a +10 bonus to ride checks). The DM may rule that the short length of the reins or an unaccustomed rider impedes or prevents a dominated creature from using some its abilities.
Finally, once in the wielder’s lifetime, the domination effect can be used against a true dragon. The wielder can make any number of attempts until the dragon fails it save, at which point it is controlled as if it was an animal or magical beast. Once the domination effect on the dragon ends, the Dagger Reins of Drollus become inert and seemingly non-magical to that wielder. They function as nothing better than a pair of masterwork daggers, their magic can never be employed again, even if the wielder dies and is later resurrected. However, a new wielder can use the Dagger Reins’ full abilities as normal.
Against other creature types, or any creatures of tiny size or smaller (regardless of type), the Dagger Reins of Drollus have no special powers beyond their combat enchantment.
Attributes: Strong enchantment, CL 17th
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2011 :  22:52:19  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As you are perusing the wares of this quiet shop, the door opens and you feel a warm breeze carrying a small amount of minute grit caress your exposed flesh. As you gaze at the figure that enters, your eyes feel gritty; you have trouble making out the exact details. It appears as though he, at least you think it's a he, shimmers and wavers as if distorted by a heat reflection. As the figure enters and approaches, you can hear the soft chink of chainmail and notice the fluid balance of the newcomer's gait.

The figure stops and, as it reaches toward a cloth completely wrapped around its head, speaks in a distinctly male voice, "Salaam Sahib!"

You're mildly surprised and amused to hear such an obviously exotic phrase uttered in an accent that is distinctly from Faerun.

As the figure unwraps the headcloth, the fine grit carried by the air seems to dissipate. You rub gently at your eyes to remove the last of the gritty feeling and when you remove your hands, realize he is now removing a strange set of goggles which had been concealed by the headcloth.

"Greetings and Salutations! I am Phelan Wolfkin and long have I been absent from Faerun."

The shimmering and wavering stops as he throws back what you originally thought was a robe of some sort but, is now revealed to be a cloak.

"Where can I find the proprietor of this shop? Many years and many leagues have I travelled the road which now brings me to this place. Years spent in the strange lands of Zakhara, fighting a war that I never asked for."

"However,"
- at this he thrusts two gloved hands into the air - "TO THE VICTOR GOES THE SPOILS!"

"I have returned and I have heard that the Sages of Candlekeep are amongst the most learned men of the Realms. Thus, I thought there may be an interest for the exotic and arcane items I have acquired in my journey."

Phelan looks at the goblin, then meets the eyes of the dwarf expectantly. Upon receiving no immediate response, shrugs indifferently as though he can't decide which to address with his next question; then continues.

"Well proprietor? What say you? Have you any interest in, or shelf space available to display these items?"

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2012 :  17:15:23  Show Profile  Visit LordXenophon's Homepage  Send LordXenophon an AOL message Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lord Xenophon looks over Phelan's shoulder as he unpacks his arcane treasures.

"I don't suppose you have any Potions of Protection From Sunburn in there? I've been considering a trip to Zakhara (for research purposes, of course) and one of my travelling companions refuses to wear much more than her chain mail bikini."

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2012 :  01:20:14  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordXenophon

"I don't suppose you have any Potions of Protection From Sunburn in there? I've been considering a trip to Zakhara (for research purposes, of course) and one of my travelling companions refuses to wear much more than her chain mail bikini."

I think there may have been similar potions of kind in the 3e Sandstorm supplement. I'll have to check.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2012 :  18:28:12  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Greetings yourself." Phelan looks toward the unknown speaker and smiles a toothy smile. "I don't know how to make most of these or what they'll bring on the markets up here but, given the cost of goods from Zakhara in the South, they ought to be worth that and a little more besides."

"I've returned with many items from that far away land. I'm sure I will have something in my collection that will assist your friend in her folly. Though if she's striking, I completely understand why she would wish to show off her wiles but...." He shrugs, leaving the sentence hanging.

"Pray that she will learn from the wisdom of others or she will perish in the wastes. They are unlike anything here in Faerun, including the great deserts of Anauroch or the Calim. For the foolish or unwary, death will surely find you. If you are lucky, it will take you quickly. If not...." Again, he leaves the sentence hanging.

"But we can discuss preparing for your journey later, if you wish. For now, I have a small item I wish to show you."

With a flourish, he reaches into a hidden pocket in his kaftan and produces a small box; laying it onto the proprietor's counter top. As you glance at it, you think it's made from some sort of wood that has been polished to a low ivory-like sheen but, you're not entirely certain. You figure its size to be roughly three fingers wide by two hands long and about a finger width deep.

"This first item is small and relatively mundane looking but, very important in their culture. Since you're going for research purposes, it may even be useful to you. Come and take a look."

He gestures you closer and flips a small catch on the box's long side, flipping open a lid. As he does so, a slightly pungent smell wafts into the air.

Inside the box are a bunch of thin, stick-looking items. As you move closer, he plucks one up and with a flick points it at your forehead. You flinch involuntarily expecting the worst but he merely chuckles and says, "Boo!"

"In the Land of Fate, religion playes a huge part in the daily lives of the people. It doesn't really matter what you believe, as long as you believe in something. With so many differing beliefs, I suppose it's no surprise that even the most learned Imams need a little help sometimes."

"They call these little sticks Imam's Incense." He closes the box and inserts the tip of the stick into a small hole you didn't notice earlier.

"Gotta warn you though, they stink like a carrion crawler's arse when lit, at least to anyone with pretentious aires about smell." At this, he produces a flint and steel and deftly strikes a spark onto the tip of the stick. It quickly flares into a small candle-like flame which he blows out. The tip continues to glow, emitting a small trail of smoke and increasing the effect of the pungent smell considerably.

You wrinkle your nose as the strengthened scent assaults your sense of smell but otherwise don't feel any ill effects. As you continue to inhale the the smoke-tinged aroma, you begin to think about your own religious understandings and experience the glimmering of a small epiphany on the question you'd been puzzling over for some time.

Phelan pinches the end of the stick with his thumb and middle fingers, extinguishing the glowing ember. As you come out of your reverie, you realize he is speaking to you.

"Told you they stink when lit." You can't help but agree.

"Useful items though. They help you feel closer to the gods and understand their will better. In a land as tied to their religion as Zakhara, getting a little boost can help you keep your head about you." He chuckles dryly. "Sometimes, my new friend, literally."

He removes the remainder of the stick from its holder and returns it to the case, snapping the catch closed when finished. "Here." He slides the case down the counter toward you. "Consider this a gift to help on your expedition in gratitude for my amusement when I played my little joke at your expense. They should come in handy."

DM's Information

Item Name: Imam's Incense
Properties: When lit, fills an area 10 feet cubed with a pungent smell that grants +5 on Knowledge-Religion checks after thirty minutes spent inhaling the scent and meditating. Because of the trance-like state induced by these sticks, individuals entering the area and inhaling the fumes for more than 10 minutes suffer a -2 penalty on all Spot & Listen checks while in the area of effect of the burning stick. If an individual leaves the area of effect after incurring the penalty but before the stick burns out, the penalty is reduced to -1 immediately and remains for 10 minutes after departure (SAVE DC15 WILL Negates). If the individual remains in the area of effect for the entire burn time, all bonuses and penalties remain for one hour after burnout. Each stick burns for one hour. A case contains 1d20 sticks when found.

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"

Edited by - Wolfhound75 on 10 Jan 2012 07:18:58
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1582 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2012 :  23:09:56  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More of Xarthalion's (aka, The Arcanamach) research:

Buried Chest, Xarthalion's
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: 4
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 10ft.
Target: N/A
Area: 1 square
Duration: Permanent until opened
Saving Throw: N/A
Magic Resistance: No

This spell creates a cube of force 5 square feet in size that can be filled with anything the caster desires. Once the contents are put in, the caster may then cause the cube to sink into the earth (or even into a cave wall if desired) where it will remain until the caster returns to claim it. The cube sinks 10ft. (the top being 5ft. from the surface), its contents kept in suspended animation indefinitely. It is possible to store a cadaver within it with no chance of decomposition. The spell also creates a link with the caster, allowing him to remember its location by simple concentration. This link does not allow for teleportation to its location but does act as a beacon for such a spell (there will be no chance of failure). There is no limit to the number of buried chests that the caster can create.
The material component is a small hinged box of fine quality (50pg) and a piece of glassteel.

Dweomermerge, Xathalion's
Alteration, Enchantment
Level: 7
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Target: 2 items
Area: 1 square
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: N/A
Magic Resistance: No

This spell allows the wizard to merge the enchantments from one item with another. It can be used to transfer the enchantment from a magic item into a non-magic item as well (in this case the recipient item needs to be capable of accepting an enchantment). In order to succeed, the wizard must succeed on a DC of 20+the minimum level required to make the transferred item. For instance, the minimum caster level to enchant a suit of +3 armor is 9th, therefore, the DC to transfer the bonus into another item is 29. This transfer is permanent and renders the transferred item inert and incapable of holding an enchantment ever again. The spell will only work on permanent items, not on potions, scrolls, or similar items.
The material component is the sacrificed magic item, powdered dragon bone, and 1,000gp worth of gems per point of the necessary DC.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  11:15:23  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::The black-robed woman who enters carries a bulging bag of oddly assorted items:: I feel that perhaps I might present a first sample of the miscellaneous magic items I've found myself in a position to supply...

Elenna's Calling Hand

This item bears the shape of a beckoning hand, carved in stone, hanging from a chain or cord. The Calling Hand was first devised by a young half-elven wizard. Having inherited her master's tower, with all of its attendant clutter, she grew heartily sick of searching for small objects such as keys, notes and combs. (This last item, as evidenced by the magnificently scruffy beard her late master once sported, only began to lurk amongst the mess once the half-elf took up residence in the tower.) Since its invention, the Calling Hand has become a much-desired item for those who find themselves constantly losing small possessions.
The wizard had only to hold the Calling Hand and speak the command word, focusing upon the lost object, and it would be first located and then, if desired, carried to her waiting hand.

(Locate Object, Mage Hand)

Elenna's Superior Calling Hand

This improved variant upon Elenna's Calling Hand functions as its lesser counterpart, but can also lift larger or magical items.

(Locate Object, Mage Hand, Telekinesis)

I'm... not quite sure on the hard stats for these - prices, CL to make, all that jazz. But hopefully they'll be considered interesting anyway, and perhaps someone might like to suggest stat-bits.

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29636 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2012 :  13:04:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that one.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  16:34:49  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Figurative Stamina
Transmutation
Level: Bard 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Targets: One figurine of wondrous power
Duration: As per figurine (see below)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This specialised spell was created by the half-orc wizardess ‘Lonely’ Maugil. A crafter of and expert in the magical items known as figurines of wondrous power, Maugil designed this spell to increase the functionality of her creations.

The spell doubles the length of time a figurine of wondrous power can be used before it reverts to statuette form. The spell does not increase the number of times a figurine of wondrous power can be used per day or per week. For example, a bronze griffon can normally be used twice a week for a period of six hours. If figurative stamina is cast upon the bronze griffon, it can still only be used twice a week, but each period of use can last up to twelve hours rather than six.

The spell’s duration matches the time period in which a figurine’s uses are given. Figurative stamina cast upon a bronze griffon would have a week’s duration. A marble elephant can be used four times a month, so the spell’s duration is a month, golden lions can be used once a day so the spell’s duration is a day and so on. Additional castings of figurative stamina within this time period have no further effect.

Figurative Stamina can only be cast upon an inert figurine in statuette form. If cast whilst the figurine is in use (i.e. in creature form), then the creature immediately reverts back to statuette form and is cannot be used again for 1d6 days.

The material component of this spell is a clay replica of the figurine which is crumbled to dust and scattered over the figurine when the spell is cast.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2012 :  16:36:55  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eldritch Kiss
Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V
Targets: Living creature kissed
Duration: Instantaneous / 1 day
Saving Throw: None, see below
Spell Resistance: Yes

A spell both lauded and vilified, eldritch kiss can give or steal life as per the whim of the caster.

The spell is only effective against creatures of humanoid type that are within one size category of the caster (thus a medium sized caster can use eldritch kiss against small, medium and large creatures). The spell must be delivered in the form of a kiss, thus creatures without discernible mouths are immune. In order to use the spell against an unwilling victim, the target must be grappled and pinned by the caster, who must also make a successful concentration check. An eldritch kiss can be held as a charge as per the standard rules for touch spells.

An eldritch kiss can be used to exchange hit points or ability points between caster and target. The caster can determine exactly how many hit points are transferred, but the total cannot exceed 1d6 hit points per level of the caster (maximum 10d6), nor can it exceed the target’s current hit points +10, which is enough to kill the target. Hit points taken can be healed normally, but hit points gained are considered temporary hit points and are lost after 1 day.

For example, Jarilyn is a 14th level caster with a full complement of 35 hit points. He successfully casts eldritch kiss on Lyeil, who has only 3 hit points left. His player rolls 7d6 and gets 29. Depending on his feelings about Lyeil, he could steal up to 13 hit points from her, gaining them as temporary hit points, or could lose up to 29 of his own hit points and transfer them to Lyeil (who gains them as temporary hit points).

Instead of hit point transferral, an eldritch kiss can also transfer 1d4 ability points from a single ability of the caster’s choosing. Unlike hit point transferral, the caster has no control over how many points are transferred. Ability points gained are temporary, and are lost after 1 day. Ability points lost are temporary, and can be recovered at the rate of 1 point per day.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  04:03:43  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Svaerinyl’s Sinister Shadow
Illusion (Shadow)
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Range: Close (25’ +5’ per 2 levels)
Targets: One creature
Duration: 1 round per 2 levels of the caster
Saving Throw: Will disbelief

Although now becoming increasingly popular with Shadow Weave users across the Realms, this spell was created centuries ago by the Red Wizardess Svaerinyl of the Obsidian Staves.

The spell causes the target to be attacked by his own shadow for the duration of the spell, which animates and turns against him. The target must cast a shadow for the spell to work, and thus does not work in conditions where no shadows form, such as complete darkness, grey, overcast weather, or at night (unless the moon is strong). In addition, if the target moves into an area where such conditions prevail, the spell immediately ends.

The sinister shadow attacks once per round, using a shadowy representation of whatever weapon the target was holding on the round the spell was cast. This weapon does not change, even if the target changes weapons during the spell’s duration. If the target is unarmed when the spell is cast, the shadow can only deal nonlethal damage (unless it possesses natural weapons). If the target is holding some mundane item such as a torch or a cooking pot, the shadow attacks with this improvised weapon. The shadow can use ranged weapons, with unlimited shadowy ammunition.

The shadow attacks using the base attack bonus of the target. If the target has multiple attacks per round, the shadow uses the highest attack bonus, but additional bonuses due to magic, feats or high ability scores are discounted. However, it need only make a successful touch attack to damage the target. Damage is dealt as per the weapon, without any additional bonuses. Any additional damage types or effects, such as fire or poison are also ignored (for example, a shadow attacking with a torch deals no fire damage). The sinister shadow cannot use magic, even if its target is a spellcaster. Thus, casting this spell against an opponent wielding a wand would be a fruitless exercise.

The target’s shadow can only attack the target, and lies as a normal shadow would in the existing illumination. The target herself cannot attack her own shadow, but can make a Will save to disbelieve it on the round the spell is cast and any subsequent round the sinister shadow damages her.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2012 :  04:46:24  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spell Lottery
Enchantment (compulsion)
Level: Bard 7, Sor/Wiz 6,
Components: V
Range: Medium (100’ +10’ per spell level)
Targets: 1 spellcasting creature
Duration: Permanent until discharged (see below)
Saving Throw: Will negates

This curious spell can be cast on any creature capable of casting divine or arcane spells. It causes the next 1d4 spells that the target attempts to cast to be randomly exchanged with a different spell the target has prepared. In the case of sorcerers, bards and other classes who do not have to prepare their spells before casting, the substituted spell can be any from their spell list. The spell has no effect upon spell-like abilities or psionics.

The substituted spell can be selected by a dice roll or chosen by the GM and needn’t be of the same level as the intended spell. Substituted spells of equal or lesser casting times as the intended spell are cast normally, but if the substituted spell has a longer casting time than the intended spell, then the spell is lost; the caster does not have enough time to complete the spell.

The target of a spell lottery can make a spellcraft check (DC 10+level of the substituted spell) to identify the spell he’s about to cast. If he’s successful, he can change the target of the spell if necessary, but he’s unable to prevent himself casting the spell (although he is able to direct it at a neutral point in space, such as firing a magic missile at a wall rather than at an ally). If he fails his spellcraft check, he casts the substituted spell against his intended target. If that target is out of range of the substituted spell, the spell takes effect at the maximum possible extension of its range (in the direction of its target). Spells with a range of personal take effect on the caster, and touch spells are cast normally (furthermore, the charge can be held at the target’s whim).

The spell lottery remains in effect until the target has cast all of his 1d4 random spells. It can also be negated with dispel magic. Of course, someone other than the target will have to do the casting!
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  00:35:41  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Encircling Blast Fireball
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Range: Long (400’ +40’ per level)
Area: 20’ radius spread
Duration: 1 round per level
Saving Throw: Reflex half

This spell combines the qualities of two of the most common magicks in any spellhurler’s arsenal, fireball and wall of fire. First the caster sends a tiny bead of flame shooting towards his enemies. With a low roar, this explodes, dealing 1d6 fire damage per level of the caster (maximum of 10d6). As a standard fireball, the encircling blast fireball can ignite flammable objects as well as damaging unattended objects.

However, when the fireball detonates, it does not dissipate, but instead forms a circular wall of fire at the extension of its blast radius. This barrier is not as hot or as powerful as a standard wall of fire, causing 2d4 fire damage to creatures within 5’ of the wall but no damage to those further away. However, any creature attempting to pass through the wall of fire suffers 2d6 +1 per caster level (maximum +20) fire damage. Creatures struck by the initial fireball can save for half damage, but enjoy no saves from damage incurred by passing through or proximity to the wall of fire. Creatures standing directly in the path of wall of fire when it forms receive damage as if trying to pass through it, but are entitled a reflex save for half damage. If foolish enough to remain in the fire’s path on subsequent rounds they no longer receive a save.

If a solid impediment, such as a solid stone wall or cliff face prevents the encircling blast fireball from forming a perfect circle, the wall of fire fails to form. Furthermore, if any 5’ section of the wall takes more than 30 points of cold damage in a single round, the entire wall of fire collapses (do not divide cold damage by four, as normal for objects). Unlike a standard wall of fire, cold damage cannot open gaps within the wall.
Material Component: A circular band of magnesium.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2012 :  00:37:33  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Immaedin’s Impertinent Purloinment
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Casting Time: 1 standard item
Range: Personal
Area: 30’ radius
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No (see below)
Spell Resistance: No

Immaedin the Ignored of Suzail is a conundrum to many who dwell in Cormyr. Quite why this infamous arcane trickster, thief of spells and general troublemaker is tolerated by the Forest Kingdom’s normally intractable War Wizards is the source many an idle, inaccurate theories and rumours. This spell is attributed to him, although the fact that a number of War Wizards have been seen to use it only fuels speculation.

The spell instantly summons the most powerful magic item (as calculated by gp cost) in its area of effect into the hands of the caster. Furthermore, the spell also serves to identify the nature of the item, and any command words required to operate it. The caster need not be aware of the presence of the item to summon it to his hands (which can lead to surprises if the enchanted chamber pot under the bed is more magically powerful than the wand in the enemy caster’s hands!). Artefacts are not affected by Immaedin’s Impertinent Purloinment, and if no magical items are within the spell’s area of effect when cast then the spell is lost.

A summoned item travels through the air to caster’s hands with sufficient force to drag swords from scabbards, wands from holsters or potions through the thin, glass fronting of a cabinet. However, firmly secured items or items inside a sturdy container (such as a chest or well-fastened backpack) cannot be summoned. If an item is held in another creature’s hand, the caster makes an opposed disarm check with a +5 bonus to wrest the object from the creature’s grasp. Worn items such as rings or cloaks can be summoned if their possessor fails a Reflex save.

If a failed disarm check, successful reflex save or other factors mean the most powerful item cannot be summoned, then the next most powerful item within the spell’s effect is summoned and so on. If the caster fails to summon any of the items within the spell’s radius, the spell is lost. If two items of equal worth are within the spell’s radius, determine randomly which one is summoned.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2012 :  05:15:38  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filmeriel’s Fickle Fireflies
Conjuration
Level: Bard 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Range: Medium (100’+10’ per level)
Effect: Eight lights, all within a 10’ area, all within a 10’ radius area
Duration: 10 min/per level
Saving Throw: No

Superficially resembling the spell Dancing Lights, this incantation summons eight tiny sparks from the Quasi-Elemental Plane of Radiance. These strange lights resemble fireflies and even seem to display a strange degree of contrary sentience.
The sparks must remain together within a 10’ x 10’ area and shed the same amount of light as a torch. If their numbers are reduced to three or less, they only shed light equivalent to a candle. As long as they stay together, the sparks can move as the caster desires within the limits of the spell’s range. They can travel up to 100’ per round in any direction, including straight up or down, and can turn corners and travel out of the caster’s line of sight as long as he has a clear mental picture of where they are travelling. If they move into an area the caster has no knowledge of they remain motionless. The caster can summon them back to his side by a silent act of will.
However, in order to control the sparks the caster must concentrate upon them. If his concentration is broken, they remain in place, but for each round not under the caster’s control there is a 50% chance one of the sparks demonstrates its fickle nature by returning to the Positive Energy plane (60% chance) or wandering off (40% chance). Sparks that return to their home plane instantly vanish. The caster cannot regain control of sparks that wander off, and they drift aimlessly in a random direction as determined by the DM, although they do not expire until the end of the spell’s duration. Breaks in concentration do not extend the duration of the spell in any way, but the caster can regain control of the sparks by resuming concentration after some other action (such as casting a spell or winning a battle).
The sparks are also quite protective of their caster. Any time the caster suffers lethal damage from an attack from an attacker within the spell’s range, there 50% chance that one of the sparks shoots towards the attacker in a manner similar to a magic missile. The spark causes a single point of damage (no saving throw, but spell resistance applies) and is itself instantly destroyed. Sparks can only retaliate against attackers the caster is aware of, but the caster himself has no control over their response.
Characters that use the Shadow Weave cannot utilize this spell.

Edited by - MalariaMoon on 02 Mar 2012 13:16:59
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2012 :  16:22:26  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Windbag

School transmutation Level sorcerer/wizard 0, bard 1
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S
Range Close (25’ + 5’ per level)
Target One humanoid
Duration 1 hour
Saving Throw Fort negates Spell Resistance Yes

This little spell is favoured by pranksters and bullies, and has become a regular nuisance in schools of wizardry across the Realms.

The target is afflicted by a chronic bout of odious and audible flatulence for the duration of the spell. This is very difficult to conceal, forcing the target to take a -2 penalty on diplomacy and stealth checks. Around creatures with the scent ability, this penalty is increased to -4. Furthermore, such creatures gain +2 bonus to survival checks made to track a creature afflicted by the spell. The odours fade with the expiration of the spell, so this bonus only applies during the spell’s duration.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2012 :  16:39:29  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dissembling Draught

School transmutation Level sorcerer/wizard 2, bard 2, druid 2
Components S
Range Touch
Target One cubic foot per level of water or drinkable liquid
Duration One minute per caster level
Saving Throw Fort negates Spell Resistance No

This spell causes any normal, drinkable liquid to become a potent alcohol. The transformation is not detectable by taste (although a spell such as detect poison or detect magic will serve), but anyone drinking more than a small amount quickly becomes quite drunk.

A creature must make a Fort save each time it drinks the equivalent of an average sized cup of water. Each failed save indicates increasing drunkenness, with the creature sickened after the first failed save, nauseated after the second, and unconscious after the third. The creature is aware of its increasingly drunken state, and may figure out the connection between its seemingly innocuous beverage and its increasing inebriation. If the creature drinks a large quantity of liquid in a single sitting (such as draining a waterskin), it may need to make all three saves simultaneously (and possibly fall instantly unconscious).

The spell’s duration renews every time the victim fails a save. For example, Furin, an 8th level wizard casts dissembling draught on a jug of orange juice. Orinder drinks a cup of the affected juice, fails his save and is sickened for eight minutes. Not realizing the source of his sickness, Orinder drinks another cup of orange juice five minutes later, fails his save, and is nauseated for a further eight minutes.

Affected liquids must be consumed within an hour of the spell’s casting to have an effect. Casting the spell into a body of water larger than the maximum cubic feet the caster can target causes the spell to dissipate harmlessly.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2012 :  16:46:12  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Feral Forewarning

School conjuration (summoning) Level sorcerer/wizard 1, druid 1
Components V, S
Range Long (400’ + 40’ per level)
Target One creature
Duration One day/per level
Saving Throw Will negates Spell Resistance Yes

Popular amongst druids, elves and halflings, this spell causes one creature to suffer a commotion made by small, harmless animals. These beasts follow the target, making loud alarm calls as they would if any predator invading their territory.

This effect hinders stealth checks made by the target. In an area full of wildlife, such as a forest or swamp, the target suffers a -4 penalty to stealth checks. In wild areas that support less wildlife, such as mountains or deserts, the penalty is -2. Usually cities and dungeons do not support enough wildlife for the target to incur a penalty (the DM has the final say).

Furthermore, a character with ranks in knowledge (nature) adds those ranks as a bonus to any opposed perception check against a creature affected by this spell.

The animals flee if the target makes any attempt to attack his unwelcome coterie, freeing him from the spell’s effects, but after 1d4+1 rounds the animals return. Likewise, if the target uses some means of transport (such as teleportation or a swift horse) to outdistance the animals, a new assembly of animals gathers in 1d4+1 rounds when the target stops travelling.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2012 :  16:57:08  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Faithful Thermal

School conjuration (summoning-air) Level sorcerer/wizard 2, druid 2
Components V
Range personal
Target you
Duration 1 hour/per level
Saving Throw Will negates (harmless) Spell Resistance Yes (harmless)

A spell of the avariels which has become popular with other winged spellcasters (including dragons).

Casting this spell forms an invisible thermal of air that oscillates beneath the caster’s wings, providing lift and allowing the caster to fly for long periods without exertion. When using this spell for long-distance travel, the caster can hustle without taking nonlethal damage (a forced march still requires Constitution checks). Note that this spell is only of use to creatures with wings; other creatures gain no benefit, even if they are able to fly.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2012 :  17:04:17  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Expeditious Vortices

School evocation (air) Level sorcerer/wizard 1, druid 1
Casting Time 1 swift action
Components V
Range personal
Target you
Duration 1 round
Saving Throw Will negates (harmless) Spell Resistance Yes (harmless)

A swirl of wind catches the caster’s wings, lifting him over the battlefield. This spell allows the caster to move 10’ as if it were a 5’ step and still make a full round action. This move is considered flying, so the caster’s movement is unaffected by terrain (for example, allowing him to fly over an adjacent 5’ crevasse). Equally, conditions which impede flight (such as severe weather) negate the effect of this spell. This spell is only of use to creatures with wings; other creatures gain no benefit, even if they are able to fly.

An opponent with the Step Up feat cannot follow a creature using this spell.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2012 :  13:53:16  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Staff Sling of Tumbling Tall Ones

Aura moderate evocation; CL 7th
Slot none; Price 18,320 gp; Weight 3 lbs

This item appears to be a normal staff sling of the kind favoured by the Strongheart Halflings of Luirien. Closer investigation reveals tiny carvings of cart wheeling stick men decorating the staff, and similar designs adorning the leather of the sling. Its beneficial magical powers only manifest themselves when it is wielded by humanoid no larger than small. In the hands of any other creature, it is no more than a nuisance, causing clumsiness that translates as a -2 penalty to attack rolls when using the staff sling of tumbling tall ones and a further -2 penalty to all attack rolls, skill checks and saving throws should a halfling be within 30’ of the bearer.

In the hands of halfling, or a humanoid of small size or smaller, the staff sling of tumbling tall ones is treated as a staff sling+2. Ranged attacks have further special abilities:

• A humanoid of medium size or larger struck by the staff must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be knocked prone.
• The staff acts as a bane weapon (+4 enhancement to attack rolls and damage) against tall mothers (six armed aberrations that plague the borders of Luirien). Tall mothers must make a DC 20 Reflex save to avoid being knocked prone.

Requirements: Craft Magic Arms & Armour, grease, creator must be a halfling; Cost: 9,320 gp
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2012 :  14:00:45  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ring of Alchemical Inertia

Aura moderate transmutation; CL 7th
Slot ring; Price 5,000 gp; Weight -

Only a few of these rings have been found outside of the island nation of Lantan. They are a recent invention, coming on hard on the heels of newest innovation of the Lantanese – smokepowder.

A creature wearing a ring of alchemical inertia is never at risk of a misfire whilst wielding a smokepowder weapon. Furthermore, no smokepowder on his person will ignite unless the wearer of the ring wills it so.

Requirements: Forge Ring, stabilize powder, creator must worship Gond; Cost 2,500 gp
Go to Top of Page

Lady Shadowflame
Learned Scribe

115 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  14:25:57  Show Profile Send Lady Shadowflame a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[I'm again unsure of the hard stats for this item, like price and so on - or even what spell. But I liked the idea of the item after seeing the sea-longing thing. (Which in AD&D, according to things I've read, affects some others, not just half-aquatic elves.)]

Shell of Aeros

In times now gone, runs the tale of this item's birth, the half-human son of a sea elf fell deeply in love with a mighty and noble paladin. He was much-grieved, however, that he could not join his beloved's quests for righteousness, for the sea itself also held a place in his heart, and he pined for it when too long away.

He sought out a wizard who had great sympathy for the lovers, and that wizard created for him something that would ease his sea-longing - a shell upon a chain. More such shells have been created since, all named for the first, though none now know if Aeros was the name of the wizard, the half-elf, or the paladin. The first is distinguished from the rest in one regard; along the spiral of the shell were carved words in an old elven dialect. When translated, they read simply: I follow the tides of the heart.

A Shell of Aeros, when held close, contains the sounds and scent of the ocean, and tiny, rippling waves can be glimpsed surging and crashing within its depths, though no water comes forth when the shell is tilted. If the shell is closely contemplated for at least half an hour each day, it negates for a day the effects of a sea-longing upon a character thus afflicted. The shell must be immersed in sea-water for four hours each month, or it ceases to function until it can be immersed for the appropriate time.

Save a lizard... Ride a drow.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29636 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  16:09:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd add that it can, for a limited time, keep critters that need semi-regular dunks in water from drying out.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2012 :  05:10:03  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick contribution:

Hendril's Hoarblade

Hendril was a half-elven adventurer who lived long ago in the city of Myth Drannor. He was very skilled with sword, stealth and sorcery all; his adventures were many, but his only true legacy was a finely crafted shortsword that he labored many years to research and create.

Often faced with the perils of fire-hurling wizards, most of whom Hendril provoked into battle with his efforts to rob them blind; the half-elven rogue decided to create a sword that would enable him to better slay his enemies...and thus came to be Hendril's Hoarblade.

Crafted of fine crystal and fiery red rubies, the blade was of course magically treated to ensure it would not shatter; but that was the least of its enchantments. Hendril also bestowed within the blade a power that would protect the wielder against the gouts of fire he was so adamantly out to avoid as well! The shortsword also was rimed in ice, and a touch that brought blood from a foe would also cause icy crystals to penetrate the flesh of one so struck.

So armed, Hendril again set out to his "dungeon delving" within the halls of human wizard towers. His efforts to curb the advancing strength of humanity upon the verges of his forested homeland were cut short however when Hendril finally fell to the powerful spells of Neleskar Phorshialk. Neleskar was a deadly powerful Necromancer who drew Hendril into a well orchestrated web of undead guardians who so weakened the half-elven adventurer, turned wizard assassin, that Hendril died under a withering barrage of icy hail and was then frozen in a maelstrom of cold unleashed by the very man he had hoped to kill.

Hendril's Hoarblade, and a great many of his other magics, fell into the hands of Neleskar Phorshialk who had apparently been hunting for a magical sword that would aid his homeland against the fiery predations of the Red Wizard's of Thay during the Salamander War. The powerful shortsword is next said to have been wielded by an assassin in the employ of Neleskar; but the man is said to have died and the blade was lost into the grinding dirt and mud of the battle-field.

Recently, however, an adventuring company in Thesk sold a blade matching the description of Hendril's Hoarblade to a merchant named Cooristar; a seller of beer! Cooristar has only recently returned to Sembia and has placed the sword for sale to the highest bidder within Ordulin; but in the meantime is said to stir his beer with the blade to chill it before drinking...a rather sad fate for such a blade, but the beer is said to taste much better cold than warm.

3.5 RulesHendril's Hoarblade is a +2 Glassteeled Frost Touch Shortsword that also acts as a Minor Ring of Fire Resistance.

I don't list Gold Piece values for magic items in my campaigns; you'll have to "price it" on your own.

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 30 Apr 2012 05:13:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000