Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2007 :  15:29:36  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage  Send Beirnadri Magranth an AOL message Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasta Fzoul
Dulang’s Remorseful Recoupment
Abjuration
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: 1 touched magic item of the caster’s creation
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Originally developed by the mage Dulang, an artificer known more for his prolific output than for the quality or usefulness of his creations, this spell was a result of the pangs of good sense that frequently struck him upon completing yet another of his novel, ingenious – yet only marginally useful – creations. With this new dweomer mastered, he was able to maintain his reservoir of personal energy, and continue his fanciful manufacturing for years to come (it is speculated that one item which survived the quality-control process and made its way into public circulation was the overly-complicated Rod of Metamagic Switcheroo… ).

This spell allows the caster to reclaim the XP expended in crafting a magic item, eliminating the item’s magical powers in the process. The caster simply touches the item while casting this spell, and all XP spent in crafting it are added to the caster’s total, while the item itself is affected as if by Mordenkainen’s Disjunction. Note that the caster can only reclaim XP from items he or she personally crafted.

Really this spell needs to have an amendment where a charged item only returns a percentage of xp based on remaining charges etc. same with expendable one use items etc.

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  23:03:46  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone,

I've been working on a campaign set in FR for NWN2 for a while now. One of my big hooks is that I've got tons and tons of custom items. Anybody have a problem with me using some of these in it? This would be a great resource for me because after doing a few hundred of my own it gets a little stale...

I thought it would be best to ask. It is kind of public because it's on a message board, but then again tens of thousands of people will be playing my joint so better to ask I think. I don't want to be stepping on people's toes.

Alright then, thanks.

Subtlety of Thay Ch 1 and Ch 2 NWN2 Module
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  16:11:51  Show Profile  Visit LordXenophon's Homepage  Send LordXenophon an AOL message Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's what this list is here for. Enjoy!

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2008 :  23:01:43  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While that's true, it's always a good idea to ask those responsible for the creation of such items. Which is what dirtywick has done. Speaking for my own items that I've contributed to the "Magic Shop," I'd rather they not be used -- for the time being. I've got other plans for them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  06:35:55  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that's disappointing, but I respect your decision.

When I asked two months ago I had assumed nobody cared and went ahead with it. I'll delete those belonging to you, The Sage. If anybody else has a problem, just tell me and I'll delete yours as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  11:31:48  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you've already made use of the items I've posted here? No worries. I suppose you can go ahead and just keep using them. Had I known that you'd already started using my material, I would've left it as it is.

I'll just tinker around with some new ideas for what I've got planned.

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Feb 2008 11:34:13
Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  17:56:06  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh, they're already gone! It only took a fraction of the time to verify and delete them as opposed to what it took to make them. However, like any good modder I have a back up still. OK, but let me just say that everyone who's items were used is getting credited by their handle with a link to this thread in the readme. I'm not sure exactly what your plans are, but I'm not out to steal anybody's ideas here; I just liked your ideas. Also, I'm not selling anything or getting paid either, I'm not using it in any manner that somebody with a table top game wouldn't.

That said, if you want them gone for whatever reason, no problem and no hard feelings. It's already done. If it's cool to keep them, I'll snatch them from the back up and bring them back. I'd like to use them, I think they're great. But it's up to you because as far as I'm concerned, they're yours to do with what you wish.

Go to Top of Page

dirtywick
Seeker

69 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  20:14:10  Show Profile  Visit dirtywick's Homepage Send dirtywick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright, sorry for the double post, but I usually get this weird error whenever I post on this forum. I can see my post above, but it doesn't show up on forum screen or the active topics, so I'm bumping this to make sure it gets seen. I just want to make sure this gets resolved properly so I'm not stepping on anybody's toes.

Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2008 :  17:35:39  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a little something I used in an adventure a while back. Thoughts and suggestions on it are most welcome.

Beshaban Cruel Fate Charm

The finger of fate is fickle indeed and even more so when guided by the hand of Beshaba, the Maid of Misfortune. In her eternal battle with the Lady Luck, she recently revealed the secrets of the making of these items to her clergy, and since then they have spread these items far and wide throughout Faerun, to the bane of the followers of Tymora.

A Cruel Fate Charm generally takes the form of a silver bracelet or amulet ostensibly featuring the motif of Tymora - a Disc featuring the face of the Goddess of Luck surrounded by shamrocks. The Charm is presented as bringing good luck to those who wear it, but its true powers are much more sinister. Rather than providing good luck to the wearer, instead he/she receives a dread blessing of the Maid of Misfortune, and the fate of the wearer is twisted ever so slightly.

A wearer of a Cruel Fate Charm suffers a -1 penalty to Will Saves and AC and a -1 penalty to Saves vs Spells from Beshaba’s domains: Chaos, Fate, Luck, Evil, Trickery. Additionally, if it is worn continuously for a week or more, then the Wearer can be scryed upon undetected by a favoured worshipper of Beshaba. If the charm is removed (and it can be freely done so), then this power is lost until it is worn again for a week.

If an Identify spell is cast upon the Charm, then it appears to have the opposite effects to its true nature, i.e. an apparent +1 bonus to Will and AC, and a +1 bonus to the aforementioned Spell Saves.

Caster Level: 9th; Prerequisite: Favoured Worshipper of Beshaba, Craft Wondrous Item, Nondetection, Nystul’s Undetectable Aura, Scrying; Market Price: 1500 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Edited by - StarBog on 24 Feb 2008 17:36:20
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29636 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2008 :  19:32:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evil... But fun!

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2008 :  16:44:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, I like it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2008 :  17:17:06  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage  Click to see Chosen of Moradin's MSN Messenger address Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it too, and I see some interesting adventure ideas that could happen around this devious item. Good work, StarBog!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 25 Feb 2008 17:17:56
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  15:36:21  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I like it too, and I see some interesting adventure ideas that could happen around this devious item. Good work, StarBog!

Ta muchly.

This originated from a Convention Adventure I wrote for Gencon UK a few years back. The original version was actually Sharran, and also granted the wearer a weak form of low-light vision (as well as weakness to the Shadow Weave), but I tnink it makes more sense to tie these items to the Maid of Misfortune instead.

I'm pondering a stronger version that would twist fate even more and inflict the wearer with, say once per day, at the most inopportune moment possible, a -10 penalty to one particular roll. Something akin to an inverse True Strike effect, if you will.

Best,
StarBog.

Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
364 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  01:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage  Send Daviot an AOL message Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just posting an item that I had made for one of the games I'm DMing, and thought some other scribe might find it useful (or at least interesting):

Rhauntides' Lenses of the Binder
High Indexer Danali commissioned these brass-rimmed scroll-shaped glasses from Rhauntides, Sage of Deepingdale, for the aasimar librarian and explorer Tarim Bernes. Most importantly, they disguise his rather obvious wings (as a hat of disguise), but more helpfully, they provide a +2 competence bonus to Appraise and Decipher Script. Also, three times per day, the wearer may activate a detect magic effect, as the spell, lasting for one minute each use. Copies of these lenses have since been seen around the Realms since Rhauntides' death, including one pair sold in Calimport's Dark Bazaar in 1374.
Faint divination and illusion; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, appraising touch, detect magic, disguise self. Market price: 4,500 gp.
Cost to create: 2,250 gp, 180 XP, 5 days.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
Want more adventure? Into the Dark (PF Beginner Box 2nd level) | The Red Leaves Enigma (3.x/PF 3rd/4th level) | In Iron Clad (TBD, 3.x/PF 14th lvl)
Want an 'Ecology of the Kitsune'? Races Revised: The Kitsune Clans
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  11:13:01  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rod of Bloodline Control, a.k.a. "Bastard's Bane"

(Note: I originally came up with the concept for this item for another fantasy system/setting I'm writing a supplement for, but it translates across well into the Forgotten Realms, where, judging from how randy many of the Nobles get, it is much needed )

One of the most oft-quoted maxims spouted by would be philosophers in Taverns across Faerun, usually after considerable amounts of alcoholic beverages, and to justify their inherent misogyny is that "men will be men, and women will be women". Inadvertently, they are correct. Men will be men, and noble men will certainly be noble men. It seems sometimes that Faerun is overrun with randy nobles bedding as many maidens as they can, almost always to the detriment of their marriages to their long-suffering spouses. This is not to say that noblewomen are paragons of virtue, far from it, but historically, it has always been the noblemen who cannot control the contents of their pants.

Take for example the late King Azoun IV of Cormyr, whose prowess at producing illegimate offspring (called "the Dragon's bastards" behind their backs) is legendary in both noble and bardic circles Faerun wide. During his lifetime, he acknowledged quite a few, however scuttlebutt has it (correctly) that there are dozens more royal bastards there, unacknowledged results of Azoun's "wayward wife-conquerings".

Of course in a stable, prosperous country like Cormyr, the spreading of the Royal blood isn't really a matter for great concern. The machinery of state (i.e. Vangerdahast) would make sure things were smoothed over, and gainful and useful employment was found for youngsters of Noble Blood. In many other areas of Faerun however, things aren't as stable. Who hasn't heard of the Border Kingdoms, for example, where it seems every week another alleged offspring of a bored Baron's secret tryst with a Chambermaid rises up and proclaims himself a "liberator" from the "corrupt and decadent" rule of his wayward father, and then proceeds to lay waste to said father's kingdom?

But what about the fakes and the imitators? It is not unheard of for a supposed bastard to be actually a plant by a rival Kingdom in an attempt to gain control of a Throne without the effort of invasion. There are rumours of Cabals of Wizards far to the east (fond of wearing Red) who create magical simulacrum of noble born purely for the purposes of spreading discord and chaos. And who hasn't heard of shape shifters, who worm their way onto Thrones for whatever nefarious purposes those strange creatures desire?

Such questions recently vexed one particular Scion of Siamorphe in particular. Bellan Greymantle was the first assistant to the First High Lady Scion at the Chapel and Chalice of the Divine Right in Waterdeep. Greymantle, who was originally from Cormyr, was particularly paranoid of shape shifters, and he had a recurring nightmare that the Dragon Throne would fall to the depredations of one of these creatures, disguised as an unacknowledged offspring of the late Azoun. So he implored the aid of his deity, and with the help of a smith he knew, the Rod of Bloodline Control was born.

Each rod takes the form of a hollow adamantine cylinder the length of a forearm. Both ends are stoppered up, and the outside of the rod is inscribed with the holy symbols of Siamorphe. The rod itself is inert until it is powered with the blood of a particular noble line. To do this, it is filled with one whole pint of blood from a living humanoid of the noble lineage in particular. The blood is then magically absorbed into the rod whenever a prayer to Siamorphe is uttered, and from that point on, in the hands of any Scion of Siamorphe, the rod will emit a mild and non-harming electric shock when brought into physical contact with anyone not of the same bloodline that the rod is attuned to. Once a rod has been attuned to a bloodline, it cannot be de-attuned or the bloodline changed.

As for Bellan Greymantle, he never lived to see his rods being used. Late one night in Nightal 1373 DR, he was found murdered in a snowdrift in an alleyway in South Waterdeep. At the same time, there was a break-in at the Chapel and Chalice of the Divine Right and the five rods he had so far constructed were stolen. No one has ever been held responsible for either crime.

Strong divination; CL 13th; Craft Rod, Legend Lore, blessing by Siamorphe; Price: 18,500 gp.

(Edit: Added Ergdusch's Creation Info)

Edited by - StarBog on 29 Feb 2008 18:48:10
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1719 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  16:20:55  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice write-up of this item, which I really like. Adds great flavour and I think it really does fit into the realms, indeed. So thanks for sharing.

Ergdusch

P.S.: Send you a pm with my thouhgts on the price calcualtions and such.

Edit note: I like the evil charm of Besheba too, btw! A quick thought on your 'advanced version of that one though: IMHO, it should bestow no more than a -10 penalty. After all, bad luck is (or should be) as random as good luck and Tymora might have her hands in preventing the worst damage after all. This would be almost impossible though with a -20 penalty (which would be the inverse True Strike effect you mentioned).

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 29 Feb 2008 16:34:32
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  16:57:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
StarBog, Vangey isn't dead yet.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  18:49:58  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, I've edited the item to add Ergdusch's info (thanks Ergdusch!) and to reassure fans of Vengey (yes, I know technically Vangey is still....you know ;-))

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1070 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2008 :  21:41:57  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will now take the liberty, to sell(ad) an item to the shop. Its old and im sad to see it go...

But here it is:
Robe of Am’mara:

This dark, red robe, is of epic beauty. It is long with black runes magically drawn upun it. It gives the wearer the appearance of rulership. This great robe was given to her, as rulership of a Netherise city became hers. It grands the wearer the folowing abilities:
· Spell resistance 25
· Imunity to mind effecting spells.
· Ability to cast one extra spell per lvl. 1-9.
· DC of all spells increase +1

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  01:32:13  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We appreciate your contribution Nicolai. Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  14:08:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

I will now take the liberty, to sell(ad) an item to the shop. Its old and im sad to see it go...

But here it is:
Robe of Am’mara:

This dark, red robe, is of epic beauty. It is long with black runes magically drawn upun it. It gives the wearer the appearance of rulership. This great robe was given to her...

Perhaps you should say, "This great robe was given to Am'mara..." It's not that obvious who you are referring to.

Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1070 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2008 :  15:02:44  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes... I should have written that. For it was given to Am'mara the elf, long long ago.

When I think of it, a have some more loot I would like to sell.

Judgement:
The blade wielded by Angariel the High Judge of Kelemvor. This +5 keen, vorpal, adamantine, mecurical greatsword is of epic power. Edged upon the blade are the holy words of Kelemvor, which glows bright red when wielded in combat. The hilt resembles a dying angel.

Go to Top of Page

Brother Accam
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  06:31:59  Show Profile  Visit Brother Accam's Homepage Send Brother Accam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's the likelihood that some (or even all) of these magic items will be updated to 4E?

'Too much time spent in stuffy rooms reading old books written by dead men.'
-- Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31683 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  06:55:23  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that'll probably depend on whether each of the scribe's who have presented items here, will want to update them. I likely won't. But if others want to take a shot at updating any magic item I've presented here, then feel free.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jul 2008 06:56:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29636 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  15:10:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The magic item I've posted here -- Wooly Rupert's Wondrous Hair Dye, back on page 36 -- is pretty easy to flip to any edition since all it does is change a person's hair color and style. It was originally a tongue-in-cheek creation (stemming from a discussion about artwork not matching descriptions), but I can readily see it being used by wealthy socialites (though perhaps the price should be bumped up, since it does have a long-lasting, if minor, effect).

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000