Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2011 :  04:50:27  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Staff of Domination

Description: An unshaped branch of bronzewood, the only crafting on this staff is the intricate carving at its tip – an almost life-size representation of a cackling jester’s mask with a wooden crown on its brow. Few of these staves are known; a handful were made in the days of Netheril and none have been created since.
The Harpers believe that the Arcane Brotherhood has possession of such a staff and have used it to exert their will upon the War Captains of Luskan. Another Staff of Domination is thought to be in the hoard of the Shadow Dracolich Aurgloroasa.
Properties: The wielder of the staff can use the following spells:
Charm person (1 charge)
Charm monster (2 charges)
Mass Domination (5 charges): This powerful effect can only be used once per tenday. It allows the wielder of the staff to dominate up to 25 HD worth of humanoids or animals as per the spell dominate person. Even with the staff’s magic, controlling numerous creatures (or a handful of powerful ones) is extremely taxing on the wielder, who is considered continually fatigued whilst using this power. This power is not limited by range and works as long as the dominated creatures are on the same plane as the wielder.
The Staff of Domination also carries a minor curse, which begins to manifest after the wielder has used 5 charges. After this point every time the wielder interacts with another character in a way that would normally incur a bluff, diplomacy or intimidate skill check, the wielder must make a will save (DC 12) or cast charm person or charm monster (as appropriate) involuntarily on the character he is talking to.
If used in melee combat, the Staff of Domination acts as a quarterstaff+1.
Attributes: Strong aura of enchantment and evil, CL 11th
Creation: Craft Staff, charm person, charm monster, dominate person
Cost: 65, 000 gp
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  16:49:46  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Map of Refuge

Description: This map is about 50” x 40” in size, and constructed from finger-sized strips of balsa wood bound together by string. One side of the map is illustrated in fading inks. It depicts a small, nondescript island in the centre of an ocean. The map has nothing in the way of a key, it has no written notations, there isn’t even an indication of north. The map can be easily rolled into a tube and placed in a scroll case.
The origins and creation of a map of refuge are disputed by scholars. A few have been reported over the years, often in the hands of pirates of the Nelanther Isles or the Kingdom of Ruathym. One popular theory is that the maps where created by the elves of Evermeet at the start of the Retreat. Certainly, the map of refuge’s unique magic would be valuable to the elves – allowing their ships to make port without having to risk contact with men or worse.

Properties: The map can only be used at sea, and cannot be used if solid land lies within one mile of its location. If it is cast face up upon the ocean the map vanishes, and a small island roughly half a square mile in size rises up out of the depths. The sea within 60’ of the island’s shore becomes shallow enough that an anchor can be weighed, and the island is easily accessible by small boat. On the island itself, fresh water can be found, plus trees sturdy and tall enough to be used in ship repairs (up and to including the replacement of a broken mast). Foraging on the island reveals small bushes bearing a strange but nutritious fruit; enough can be gathered to feed up to 40 people for half a tenday (after which the fruit quickly sours and is inedible). However, no animal life can be found on the island.
The island persists for exactly 24 hours before crumbling back into the sea. It takes 5d4 rounds for the island to completely break up, after which the map of refuge reappears on the now choppy seas. The disturbance caused by the island’s collapse makes the map difficult to find; unless a successful DC 20 search check is made the map of refuge floats away unnoticed to find whichever new owner the ocean currents deem worthy. Even if the map is recovered, its power cannot be used again for another tenday.
Apart from the fruit, materials removed from the island do not degrade; wood remains strong and water remains fresh as if they were natural substances.

Attributes: Strong conjuration, CL 20th
Creation: Major Creation, Polymorph Any Object, Craft Wondrous Item
Cost: 50, 000 gp
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  19:07:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

Map of Refuge

Description: This map is about 50” x 40” in size, and constructed from finger-sized strips of balsa wood bound together by string. One side of the map is illustrated in fading inks. It depicts a small, nondescript island in the centre of an ocean. The map has nothing in the way of a key, it has no written notations, there isn’t even an indication of north. The map can be easily rolled into a tube and placed in a scroll case.
The origins and creation of a map of refuge are disputed by scholars. A few have been reported over the years, often in the hands of pirates of the Nelanther Isles or the Kingdom of Ruathym. One popular theory is that the maps where created by the elves of Evermeet at the start of the Retreat. Certainly, the map of refuge’s unique magic would be valuable to the elves – allowing their ships to make port without having to risk contact with men or worse.

Properties: The map can only be used at sea, and cannot be used if solid land lies within one mile of its location. If it is cast face up upon the ocean the map vanishes, and a small island roughly half a square mile in size rises up out of the depths. The sea within 60’ of the island’s shore becomes shallow enough that an anchor can be weighed, and the island is easily accessible by small boat. On the island itself, fresh water can be found, plus trees sturdy and tall enough to be used in ship repairs (up and to including the replacement of a broken mast). Foraging on the island reveals small bushes bearing a strange but nutritious fruit; enough can be gathered to feed up to 40 people for half a tenday (after which the fruit quickly sours and is inedible). However, no animal life can be found on the island.
The island persists for exactly 24 hours before crumbling back into the sea. It takes 5d4 rounds for the island to completely break up, after which the map of refuge reappears on the now choppy seas. The disturbance caused by the island’s collapse makes the map difficult to find; unless a successful DC 20 search check is made the map of refuge floats away unnoticed to find whichever new owner the ocean currents deem worthy. Even if the map is recovered, its power cannot be used again for another tenday.
Apart from the fruit, materials removed from the island do not degrade; wood remains strong and water remains fresh as if they were natural substances.

Attributes: Strong conjuration, CL 20th
Creation: Major Creation, Polymorph Any Object, Craft Wondrous Item
Cost: 50, 000 gp

Gotta say, I really like this one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  17:13:07  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly! It's good to know someone's reading 'em!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2011 :  01:06:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

Thanks Wooly! It's good to know someone's reading 'em!

I'm reading each and every entry made in the Magic Shop. And though I don't often comment, I'm appreciative that scribes still find some use for this old scroll.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2011 :  13:03:26  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kantlara of Comfort

Description: Kantlaras are ceremonial vests worn by the priesthood of Oghma. Many of them are enchanted in some way, and the kantlara of comfort is popular amongst the Lorekeepers of the North. Unlike most kantlaras, the kantlara of comfort is lined with sheep’s wool, affording added warmth to the wearer. They are usually black, and embroidered with magical glyphs, symbols and runes. Unlike the kantlaras of the south, kantlaras of comfort are embroidered with green thread rather than gold. A loremaster of sufficient power dreams of the symbol necessary to bestow his kantlara with its magical power, which he sews into his garment upon awakening.

Properties: The wearer of a kantlara of comfort suffers no harm from being in a cold environment, although the vest offers no protection from cold damage. This effect mimics those of an endure elements spell, although the kantlara offers no protection when in a hot environment.
In addition, the wearer of a kantlara of comfort receives a +2 bonus when making concentration checks.
The kantlara of comfort only functions for a cleric of Oghma.

Attributes: Faint abjuration, CL 3rd
Creation: Endure Elements, Craft Wondrous Item
Cost: 1,000 GP
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  18:15:50  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having used the tome to gain entry into Candlekeep, the sage (and mage) Villara Mournthal has presented the following information on the Purple Tome, a unique artifact and wealth of magical lore. The scribes of Candlekeep are now busily transcribing its contents ere the Tome disappears from the library.

The Purple Tome (Minor Artifact)

History: This spellbook was created by the mysterious wizard known only as the Arcanamach. It is unknown when he created the tome and first set quill to parchment, what is known comes to us from the following sources:
I know not how a lone wizard can cast such magic without losing control of the energy harnessed in such a spell. I know only that the wizard used the purple tome he brought on our journey. The lich Sylthalar was destroyed, his bones blasted to so much ash, but the Dead Army was outside, held at bay only by Aldemar's magic. Aldemar's success in holding his ward together despite the Army's attempts to breach it was a miracle in itself. The Arcanamach placed the tome upon the lexicon and began reciting his spell, the pressure in the room became overwhelming and the heat stifling. Kyranna was the first to fall, her tiny body unable to withstand the gathering power. My ears were soon ringing and my nose began to bleed as others in our group collapsed. Aldemar began to waiver, how the frail wizard remained erect and maintained his own magic until the end is beyond me. His loss saddened me more than I expected. So many friends gone...but I am old and will join them very soon now. How different things seem today. How does a young man, so eager for gold and glory, come to this? To outlive even my own children when all of the Shining Heart died before seeing 30 winters? That damn wizard played to our virtue! Manipulated us into entering the necropolis and confronting that damned creature in his own lair! I suppose we knew what we were getting into...and the Black Sphere was destroyed. But I miss them still. Oh you needn't give me that look, you can forgive an old man his ramblings [chuckles]. Where was I then? Yes, the growing power became unbearable. That fool wizard seemed unaffected though. He just stood there chanting as if he hadn't a care in all the world! His voice had been steadily rising during the casting, until it seemed an impossible voice rang throughout the old temple. Then all of a sudden his voice boomed as he slammed the book shut! When I awoke, every bone and muscle in my body ached and burned. They were all dead save perhaps the wizard who brought us on this errand. Of him and his book there was no trace. The temple ceiling was gone too! There was nothing but night sky above me now. I drank what healing droughts I thought I could spare and girded myself. I peered out the great doors and saw...nothing. Or rather, next to nothing. The buildings were just gone. All that was left were the foundations and what few stones remained to them. Of the Dead Army there was no sign. It was as if they had never been there. If you ask me, most wizards have too much power for their own damn good! Now leave me be lass, El is coming tonight and I need to rest. Though why he would want to see me now after so many years is anyone's guess. The old coot probably thinks I'll be dead by morning light. Wouldn't that be a relief, eh?

Baldorn, as told to Chathryna the Bard
circa 966 DR

One of the most intriguing stories concerns Aumlyndraunalas, the "Indigo Beauty" of Unther. It has been documented that the god-king Gilgeam conducted a breeding program between captured dragons, most notably young reds and blues that he could find. His successes included both Aumlyndraunala and Sauradraungthalar. He intended to mate this pair and thus create a new breed of purples...a decision eagerly embraced by Sauradraun but bitterly rejected by Aumlyn. Sometime during the Year of the Disappearing Dragon (237 DR) a wizard arrived in Unther and did battle with Sauradraun, both slaying him and defeating Gilgeam. Aumlyn was not seen in Unter afterwards. There are stories of her occasional appearance with a wizard in deep purple robes throughout history. From the description, I would surmise that this mage was none other than the Arcanamach, who was later known to carry a peculiar tome made from the hide of a purple dragon. Little more than this is known, however.

Dragons Most Curious, by Yajandra Dlathaero
published 1366 DR

Description: The Purple Tome is a large book measuring 18x12x9 inches and is bound in purple dragon hide (a rare crossbreed between a red and a blue dragon). The book has a lock that takes the form of dragon's claws whose fingers interlace when the tome is secured. Each claw has three fingers (a total of six). The claws must be depressed in a particular order to unlock them. Discovering their combination is an incredibly difficult task requiring a DC 30 Open Locks check. Failure has consequences (see below). Inside, one finds the pages listed below, all of them beautifully embossed with artwork and written in a flowing calligraphy-style script (even pages added by others appear written in the same form).
Powers: The tome acts as a spellbook with 'unlimited' pages. Inside one can find over 1200 spells and close to 400 magical item formulae. All of its pages appear to be filled. This may be expanded, however. In order to add another page, a wizard must inscribe a scroll of the new spell and then insert it between the pages. The spell will automatically graft itself into the book and in the appropriate space (all of the spells within are alphabetized, indexed, and cross-referenced as needed). A similar process is required for adding new formulas for magic items. In this case, the process requires the equivalent of creating a scroll for the strongest spell required in its manufacture. But the wizard must first bypass the tome's security features.
As stated above, the lock requires a DC 30 check to open it. Each failure on this check results in the release of a 30th-level sparkfire cloud effect. This spell is basically identical to the incendiary cloud spell with half of the damage being electrical in nature. The spell is centered on the tome, so moving the tome also moves the cloud.
The next security feature requires a simple prayer to Mystra. The first page of the tome must be perused before going further. This page shows the symbol of Mystryl (an earlier incarnation of Mystra). Beneath the symbol is the phrase "I dedicate my life to the preservation of magic and its mother." The wizard must place his hand upon the symbol and recite the phrase. If the reader is not sincere, he is immediately struck by a feeblemind curse effect. This effect cannot be resisted or lifted by any known means and lasts for 366 days. The subject is also teleported to a random location.
The final security feature lies within the writing itself. All spells within the tome appear as absolute gibberish to those reading it. Thankfully, there is a way around this feature. The page following the symbol depicts a wizard creating a spell scroll and then placing it between the pages of the book (as described above). Doing this eliminates the encryption feature and allows the wizard to study the tome. However, only a unique spell that is not present within the tome (as opposed to a simple variant of a present spell) will accomplish this.
The tome has an unrelenting tracer rune spell in place (this rune is both invisible and under the effects of a concealed wizardry spell). Note: only the rune, and not the tome itself, is under the effects of this spell, so discovery through identify or similar means is highly unlikely. The rune is also extremely minute and embedded within the artwork along the border of one the tome's many pages. This allows the Arcanamach to recall the tome any time he wishes or to teleport to within a few feet of it if he desires. He can also scry on the tome's surroundings or teleport the tome to some specific or random location.
In addition to the features listed above, the tome auto-catalogues all information within for easy reference. For every 10 spells/formulae learned, the wizard must add a new spell or magical process (the writing becomes gibberish again until this requirement is met). The tome contains all of the spells listed in the PH and most spells found in FR sources. As for magic items, most are of the minor and major categories.
All spells found within the tome are spell scrolls and may be used in the normal fashion. This erases the spell from the tome and causes it to disappear instantly. The story above is a tale of powerful 10th-level magic used to destroy an army that was threatening many lives.
Curse: Since this item is a minor artifact, it comes complete with a type of curse. Those who gain the tome become obsessed with unlocking its secrets. Thus the tome continues to accumulate knowledge whilst spreading magic (this was the original purpose of the tome's creation).
Destruction: The suggested means of destruction is the reading of every spell in the tome as a scroll, thereby erasing every spell from its pages, but this may only lead to a blank slate rather than its actual destruction. I have toyed with the idea of making this a major artifact and linking Sauradraungthalar's spirit to the tome as a guardian but I never fleshed out the dragon's stats.
New Spells: The tome contains the following new spells.

Concealed Wizardry
Abjuration
Level: 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature or object touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless, object)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless, object)
This spell cloaks all magical effects existing on an object or creature so that it does not register as magical when a detection is attempted. This prevents discovery of an item's powers or spells that have been made permanent for a creature (such as through the permanency spell) and thus makes it difficult to target such an effect for dispelling. Spells such as identify and legend lore will still work but will not reveal the process of enchantment.
The material component is diamond dust worth at least 5,000gp.

Feeblemind Curse
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wis 9
Range: Medium (100ft.+10ft./level)
Target: One creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No
This spell causes the victim's Intelligence and Charisma scores to be reduced to 1 for a period of 366 days and cannot be lifted by any known means before that time. The affected creature cannot use Intelligence or Charisma based skills or abilities, cast spells, understand language, or communicate coherently. Still, the creature knows who its friends are and can follow them and even protect them.
The material component is brain matter from any normal animal.

Sparkfire Cloud
Conjuration (Creation) [Fire, Electricity]
Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S
Range: Medium (100ft.+10ft./level)
Effect: Cloud spreads in a 20ft. radius, 20ft. high
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Reflex half; see text
A sparkfire cloud spell creates a cloud of roiling smoke shot through with white-hot embers and blue-white electrical sparks. The smoke obscures all vision as a fog cloud does. In addition, the white-hot embers cause 2d6 points of fire damage while the sparks cause an additional 2d6 points of electrical damage per level of the caster each round it exists. All targets make Reflex saves each round to take half damage.
This spell does not move of its own volition unless the caster concentrates on doing so, thus moving it up to 60ft. per round if desired. Any portion moved beyond the maximum range dissipates harmlessly and reduces the overall area of effect. As with fog cloud, wind disperses the cloud and the spell cannot be cast underwater.

Unrelenting Tracer Rune
Divination
Level: 7
Saving Throw: No
Magic Resistance: No
By means of this spell, the wizard places an invisible rune on a single, non-living, solid object. Unless dispelled or destroyed when the object it guards is destroyed (both occurrences its caster is immediately aware of), it is permanent. Whenever the wizard concentrates upon the tracer, the spell provides the caster with an awareness of the direction and distance between caster and object--even if on another plane--and whether the object is being handled or used by another creature or creatures.
Creatures coming into contact with the object are hazily revealed to the caster, who can learn the alignment, race, gender, and presence/absence of magical ability. The caster may then further concentrate and discern the full physical description of the area (even getting a firm idea as to the ambient temperature) and all those within sight of the tracer. The caster is also able to cast any divination spell desired through the tracer to gain further information.
This precise fix on the location of the object provides the caster with a focus for teleportation (allowed through the tracer, the wizard need not cast an independent spell) himself and/or two additional creatures. Various means can reveal the presence of the tracer but the wizard is always made aware of such attempts and may act accordingly to prevent its discovery and prevent being traced in turn. The tracer also allows the caster to teleport the tome to another location if desired.
The material component is a special ink costing 100gp to create and onyx dust worth an additional 500gp.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 16 Oct 2011 18:33:05
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:13:12  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zalera’s Condemnation (Alteration, Illusion)
Level: 8
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 turn
Target: 1 creature
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell forces the recipient to suffer through a crime he has victimized another with. Twice per day, the recipient is doomed to suffer all the pain, fear, abuse, etc. that he inflicted upon some unfortunate victim. For instance, if he tortured, raped, and then murdered a woman, the condemned is forced to suffer all of these atrocities, seeing in his mind’s eye everything his victim saw, feeling the same sensations, and experiencing the same emotions. The caster may set the times of day that these experiences take place, usually every twelve hours, but oftentimes at dawn and again at dusk, or (more rarely) back to back.
The focus item(s) of this spell are objects from the scene of the crime such as tools/ weapons used, the victim’s clothing or blood, or anything else the deemed appropriate by the DM.
This spell was created by Zalera, a powerful sorceress who suffered unspeakably at the hands of a Red Wizard and was then animated as an undead. In her last moments, she prayed to Assuran for vengeance. When she arose as an undead, she found that she was a free willed creature and worked on this spell in the Red Wizard’s own laboratory without his ever knowing it. By Assuran’s hand, that wizard was unable to resist this spell or ever remove it. Eventually, he committed suicide as he was forced to undergo this spell’s effects constantly (he tortured Zalera, and summoned fiends to rape her for nearly an entire day-thus, he was forced to relive twelve hours of this twice daily thereby gaining no respite from it). However, even death did not save him as Zalera raised him as an intelligent undead and entombed him in a chamber surrounded by rock that cancels all magic cast upon it. There he suffers to this day, quite insane.
Xarthalion met Zalera after she had her vengeance and she knew some peace from their contact (they became lovers for a short time). This spell inspired his Mind Prison spell, which he considers far more humane. Zalera eventually begged him for release from (un) life, which he granted by developing a spell that caused undead to dissipate into motes of scintillating lights as dawn touches their skin (this spell is known as Xarthalion’s Release).

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:16:03  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xarthalion’s Mind Prison (Enchantment, Illusion) [Phantasm, Mind-Affecting]
Level: 9
Range: Unlimited
Target: One creature
Duration: Up to 1 hour/level

This spell was designed by Xarthalion as a means of punishing criminals, although it could be used for more nefarious purposes. The spell causes the victim to enter a trance like state and is put into suspended animation if a Will save is failed. In the victim’s mind, he experiences 1 year of time for every hour of the spell’s duration (set by the caster upon completing the spellcasting). The spell may be extended by casting the spell multiple times in order to simulate a ‘life sentence’ as no save is allowed for subsequent castings of the spell. The spell caster sets the parameters of the punishment to be meted out within the recipient’s mind and may, in fact, be quite brutal in nature if desired. Effects of the spell must be adjudicated by the DM, but it is possible to achieve anything from total reform of a criminal to unmitigated insanity.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:17:28  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xarthalion’s Baleful Banishment (Abjuration, Evocation)
Range: Close (25ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
Targets: One or more extraplanar creatures, no two of which may be more than
30ft. apart

This spell is identical to the 7th level banishment spell in all ways except that those who fail the initial save and are banished are also subject to a blast of magical energy most harmful to the creature so affected. This energy affects only the creatures banished and causes 1d6 points of damage per level of the caster (maximum 25d6). This effect may be maximized and or empowered by the caster. The creature(s) to be affected are allowed a fortitude save for half damage against this effect. This spell is highly useful against outsiders who face a chance of real death as they are banished to their home planes before the attack portion of the spell takes effect.
The material component is some form of material anathema to the creatures to be affected. (Note that this increases the caster level check and the save DC as noted in the original banishment spell).

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:20:13  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xarthalion’s Instant Defense (Abjuration)
Range: Personal
Effect: Causes precast abjuration spells to take instant effect
Saving Throw: None

This spell allows the wizard to precast any number of defensive magics in advance for later use during dangerous situations. Only spells that are defensive in nature may be used for this purpose. The wizard begins by casting the Instant Defense spell, followed by any defensive spells desired. Once each of the desired spells are linked, the wizard may activate them by silent act of will as a free action for maximum duration and effect. However, for each level of spell the wizard links he loses one vitality point. These points cannot be restored until the spells are activated (this is not automatic as they must be restored through normal means or magic).
The material component, in addition to the components required of any linked spells, is 10,000gp worth of diamond dust.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:23:54  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xarthalion’s Nineblades (Evocation, Transmutation)
Target: One creature or object
Saving Throw: None, see text

Despite the spell’s name, this spell can create nine weapons of any type (though they must all be the same weapon when the spell is cast). The spell creates nine weapons that unerringly strike a single target for maximum critical damage. In addition, any powers instilled in the weapons (see material component below) also take effect, if possible. For instance, if a sword of life stealing were used as the base for this spell, the victim would have to save to resist life stealing nine times as the blades struck him!
The material component for this spell is any weapon that has had the caster’s blood on it at some time in the past (not necessarily have drawn blood from the caster). The weapon is instantly destroyed when this spell is invoked with said weapon used as its base (no save unless the item is an artifact).

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:25:09  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xarthalion’s Scrysmite (Alteration)
Level: 5
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Long (400ft. + 100ft./level)
Target or Area: Special
Saving Throw: Special

This spell allows the user to send a spell through the link created from a scrying spell, either back to its source or to the area scryed upon. The spell so sent may be of any level the wizard can cast. The casting time includes the spell to be sent through the link and must not have a casting time of greater than a standard action. Once the spell is sent through, the scrying link is severed. As the name suggests, Xarthalion created this spell as a means of attack against those spying upon him, but any type of spell may be sent through it.
The material component of this spell is a silver tube worth 10gp.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:30:34  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whiteout (Evocation) [Cold]
Area: 80ft. radius spread
Duration: 1 round

This spell creates intense, blizzard-like conditions within the area. All within sustain 24d6 points of cold damage plus an additional 8d6 points of impact damage from hail-like balls of ice. Incidentally, it is impossible to see or hear for the round that this spell is manifested (the only thing seen is stark white and the only thing heard is the howling wind).

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:32:27  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
White Whorl (Evocation)
Range: Long (400ft. + 40ft./level)
Duration: 1 round/2 levels
Saving Throw: Reflex special

This spell creates a whirlwind 10ft. wide at its base, 40ft. wide at its apex, and 80ft. high that can be moved by silent act of will of the caster at a rate of 100ft. per round. Gargantuan or smaller creatures might take damage when caught in the whirlwind and may be lifted into the air. An affected creature must succeed at a Reflex save when it comes into contact with the whirlwind or take 4d8 points of damage. It must also succeed at a second Reflex save or be picked up bodily and held suspended in the powerful winds, automatically taking 4d8 points of damage per round. A creature that can fly is allowed a Reflex save each round to escape the whirlwind. The creature still takes damage but can leave if the save is successful. The caster can eject any creature whenever he wishes, depositing them 10d10ft. away and taking falling damage of 8d6 in the process (possibly more if the DM adjudicates that the victim slams into a large object, such as a building, before falling to the ground). Creatures are automatically ejected at the end of the spell’s duration.
Also, at the base of the whirlwind is a swirling cloud of debris. This cloud has a diameter of 40ft. and obscures all vision, including darkvision, beyond 5ft. Creatures 5ft. away have one-half concealment, while those farther away have total concealment. Those caught in this cloud must succeed at a Concentration check (DC 25) to cast a spell.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:33:34  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ulainn’s Malaise (Enchantment, Necromantic) [Compulsion] {Mind-Affecting}
Range: Medium (100ft. + 10ft./level)
Area: 60ft. radius burst
Duration: 1 minute/level

This spell causes all within the area to make a Will save or become exhausted. Those that pass are only fatigued. The save also determines if they lose 4 or 6 points of Strength and Constitution and whether they are subject to a despair effect that reduces all rolls by 4 points (a successful save prevents this effect altogether).

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:34:22  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Torrent (Evocation)

This spell creates an inundating torrent of rain and powerful waves. All those within sustain 24d6 damage and must make a Reflex save DC 20 or fall prone, unable to take any action the following round (save standing). All fires within the area are put out instantly by this spell.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:35:37  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellreaver (Abjuration)
Effect: Dispels all magic in the area
Area: 10ft./level radius burst

This spell instantly dispels all magic within the area. There is no check required for success. Magic items are suppressed for a period of 1 round/level of the caster. This spell eliminates contingencies, magical ties to other items (Drawmij’s Instant Summons, Leomund’s Secure Chest), etc.
Material Component: 10,000gp in sapphire beljurils.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:36:40  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sphere of Choas (Alteration) [Chaotic]
Level: 7
Casting Time: 1 round
Effect: Chaotic effects in area
Area: 10ft./level radius sphere
Duration: 1 round/level

This spell causes random magical effects to take place within the area of effect. It does not affect the spellcasting and spell-like abilities of those within it. Those within the area are subject to the random magical effects occurring within the sphere, for good or ill. It is usually considered prudent to leave the area immediately.
Material Component: Limbo soil.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:37:13  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spirit Armor (Conjuration [Creation] {Force})
Level: 3
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 hour/level (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)

An invisible but tangible field of force surrounds the subject of a spirit armor spell, providing a +8 armor bonus to AC. Unlike mundane armor, spirit armor incurs no armor check penalty, arcane spell failure chance, or speed reduction. Since spirit armor is made of force, incorporeal creatures cannot bypass it the way they do normal armor.
Focus: A piece of steel (or better metal).

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:47:18  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Raging Inferno (Evocation)
Saving Throw: Reflex half

When a raging inferno spell is cast, the whole area is shot through with raging sheets of roaring flame. The flames inflict 24d6 points of damage to all within it.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:47:55  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterburn (Evocation) [Acid]
Duration: 1 round (plus special)
Saving Throw: Reflex half

This spell creates “whips” of acid that lash out in all directions within the area. All those within the area take 24d6 points of damage with an additional 2d6 points per round for 4 rounds. A Reflex save is allowed for the initial 24d6 points, but not for the additional damage. Carried and worn objects must also save or be damaged by this spell.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:48:29  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Windburst (Evocation) [Air, Earth]

This spell creates a whirlwind 80ft. wide at its base, 80ft. wide at its apex, and 80ft. high. All creatures, regardless of size or strength are lifted into the air and sustain damage as described below. All within the area sustain 24d6 points of impact damage caused by loose debris (created by the spell). This spell also slams all within it into the ground for an additional 8d6 points of damage at the end of the round (all of which are prone at the beginning of the following round).

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:52:47  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noumara’s Reprieve (Abjuration)
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Duration: Special, see text

Noumara’s Reprieve allows the wizard to heal himself once the spell is activated by draining random spells from the caster and converting them to healing energy at a rate of 2 hit points per spell level. This effect only affects the caster and the spell loss cannot be controlled, though the spell may be ended at any time once it has been activated.
Noumara was a student and lover of the Simbul and was inspired by her mentor’s synostodweomer spell in creating this magic.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:55:53  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Soundblast (Evocation) [Sonic]
Saving Throw: Fortitude half

This spell creates waves of sonic energy on all frequency levels. Victims must make a Fortitude save. Failure means all within the area sustain 24d6 points of damage and are permanently deafened. Success means all within the area take half damage and are deafened for 1d4 hours. This spell also causes structural damage in the amount of one point per 10 points of damage.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:57:07  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Luminescence (Evocation) [Positive]

This spell sends out a wave of radiant energy within the area. All within are healed of 24d6 points of damage. However, every point above a creatures maximum actually translates into damage as the cells of their bodies swells with the positive energy (and cannot be healed by this spell as there is not enough time) and those exceeding their maximum health are slain by this spell.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:58:12  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jaylyn’s Flame Purge (Conjuration, Transmutation) [Healing]
Range: Medium (100ft. + 10ft./level)
Area: One 20ft. cube
Save: None or Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No or Yes (object)

This spell is identical to the Quench spell in all ways except that objects do not have to be specifically targeted and the spell reverses the effects of fire caused within the last full turn before the spell was cast. All fire damage is healed, burned buildings, and destroyed vegetation are fully restored.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  22:59:08  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hammerthyst (Evocation) [Force]

This spell creates a veritable cyclone of whirling hammer-like missiles of force that unerringly and repeatedly strike all within the area for 24d6 points of damage. A shield spell reduces damage by half.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  23:00:18  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fulminating Darkness (Evocation, Necromantic) [Cold, Negative]
Area: 80ft. spread
Saving Throw: Reflex half, Will negates

This spell releases a powerful wave of cold and negative energy that deals 12d6 points of cold damage, 12d6 points of negative energy damage, and causes 1d4 negative levels. A Reflex save is allowed for half damage on the cold and negative energy damage with a Will save allowed to avoid the negative levels.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2011 :  23:02:03  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Element of Treachery (Conjuration) [Summoning] {Evil, Shadow}
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Effect: One summoned Shade

This spell summons a shade or group of shades with a collective challenge rating equal to the spellcaster’s (maximum 24). These shades are all Rogues with NE alignments and will obey the wizard completely.
The material component of this spell is 500gp worth of onyx stones per challenge rating level.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000