Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  17:48:39  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One question... When you buy a staff or imbue a staff as a +1-5 do you realy have to imbue both sides. Thats the same thing as imbuing both edges of a sword!
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  19:14:57  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolai Withander

One question... When you buy a staff or imbue a staff as a +1-5 do you really have to imbue both sides. That's the same thing as imbuing both edges of a sword!

A quarterstaff is considered a double weapon, therefore each end must be separately enchanted if you want both to be magical. You can make each end the same or different. You could shod one end in silver and the other in cold iron. You could make one end do fire damage and the other end cold damage for example.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  07:43:20  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was there an item to change alignment of the wearer to fool the spells of divination?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  13:38:59  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rjfras

quote:
Originally posted by Aerik DeVallo

quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

Scribes.

I could really use your input on an item i intend on creating.

I want to craft a staff with spellstoring. I've searched my books but i can't really find any detailed information on how to proceed on this. What i want is a staff, i'd prefer some sort of durable easily-enchanted wood as material, that could have 2 or 3 'slots' that one could cast a spell into for storage. I'm thinking of using some sort of conduit set into the wood for the spellstoring itself, like a gem or the like. And when one has unleashed said spell, the slot would remain empty until a new spell had been cast into the conduit.
To be honest, i've never before created many items with my wizard, and only items that was described in DMG.
I would love some ideas on what would be needed to craft this staff. GP cost, XP cost, materials, time etc.

Here's how I would imagine such an item:
A six foot stave of ash wood entwined in Mithral and silver fluted bands, studded with three thumb sized diamonds in it's length - each of which glitters with inner eldritch light.

This +2/+2 Quarterstaff is capable of storing three separate spells of up to ninth level. Once discharged, new spells can be stored within.

Cost to create: 8,650 GP, 950 XP

(Please note that this calculation was derived from the table in the 3.5 Edition DMG, and may not be all together correct, but it's a rough estimate. Hope it helps )

8650gp would be about the cost for just a regular +2 quarterstaff. If you wanted the quarterstaff to be +2/+2 so each end is magical, you are talking about 17k just for the weapon without any other abilities. Your basically wanting to put Rings of Spell Storing (imbue with spell ability spell) onto the staff. A minor ring (three levels of spells) costs 18k, a regular (5 levels of spells) 50k and a major ring (10 levels of spells) costs 200k.

To make a +2/+2 quaterstaff which could store up to 10 levels of spells (so you could put a two third level and one fourth level or five 2nd levels spells for example)would be +600gp for the double headed masterwork quarterstaff, +8000gp for each head to be +2 and then adding in the spell storing ability would be [4 (spell level) x 17 (caster level) x 2000 (continuous spell effect)] x .5 (duration greater then 24 hours) + 50% (multiple different abilities) for an estimated price of 118600gp.

There is also a weapon ability called Spell Storing (from the DMG) that allows one single targeted spell of up to 3rd level to be cast into, which is the equivalent of a +1 weapon bonus. So a +1 quarterstaff which could store three such spells would be equivalent of a +4 weapon which would be roughly 32600gp for the staff. Keep in mind that that is just up to third level spells and only spells that would affect a single target when you hit them and could release the spell to affect them.

lol, that definitely makes more sense than what I posted. Thanks rjfras. I'm terrible at math
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  00:08:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Was there an item to change alignment of the wearer to fool the spells of divination?

There's been at least one item that masked the wearer's alignment...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Aerik DeVallo
Seeker

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2010 :  16:33:53  Show Profile Send Aerik DeVallo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an artifact I designed a couple of years ago for my Necromancer/Cleric/True Necromancer Judmos Steelfinger. On a trip to the Negative Energy Plane after searching a Netherese watchtower for whatever lore he could find, he stumbled across a tome that contained records of Netheril's relations with the empire of Moil, and a small study of their lore - particularly an artifact staff wielded by the Nightlord rulers of the same empire.

The Negastaff is a plain, Ironwood quarterstaff that is topped by a bleach-white jawless human skull. Even being near the staff (for creatures of Good alignment) is severely uncomfortable, as the staff emanates a chill that can only be created by the most mighty, wicked, and darkest of magics. It's true power is revealed when it is wielded by a Necromancer.

Negastaff (+1/+1 Called Ironwood Quarterstaff: 50% chance to Blind on strike; Emanates constant Desecrate and Unhallow [Bane spell to all of Good alignment attached, Will DC 23 negates.] spells that can be supressed or resumed as free action; Recharged by negative energy, 1 charge regained per spell level; The staff is able to house and protect up to x4 of the wielders HD of incorporeal Undead, awaiting to do the bidding of the one who holds them in servitude.)

Corrupted Empowered Persistant Moilian Death Armor, 2 charges (2d4+1d6+2d6 vs. Good*+15 dmg w/ in 10 ft. No Save.)

Empowered Maximized False Life, 2 charges (+35 temp HP.)

Corrupted Empowered Enervating Widened Uttercold Coldball, 1 charge (15d6+2d6 vs. Good*, +50% living creatures, half cold, half negative energy, 80 ft radius.)

Corrupted Vile Enervating Empowered Lightning Bolt, 1 charge (15d6+2d6 vs. Good*, +50% living creatures, half Electric, half Vile.)

Corrupted Vile Enervating Empowered Blast of Flame, 1 charge (22d6+2d6 vs. Good*, +50% to living creatures. No SR. Half fire, half Vile.)

Fell Weaken Black Tentacles, 2 charges (4 strength drain. No SR.)

Corrupted Empowered Moilian Enervation, 2 charges (+2d6 neg energy, +2d6 vs. Good*, 1d4+2 neg levels.)

Extended Heightened [6th] Fear, 2 charges

Moilian Spirit Wall, 2 charges (+3d6 neg energy)

Empowered Heightened [6th] Wall of Ice, 2 charges

Empowered Maximized Ray of Enfeeblement, 3 charges (16 STR damage, no save.)

Fell Weaken Moilian Waves of Exhaustion, 3 charges (4 strength damage, +5d6 neg energy, Exhausted in 60 ft. cone. No Save.)

Corrupted Moilian Blackfire, 4 charges (5d6 neg energy, +2d6 vs. Good*, 1d4 Con dmg/round. Can spread.)

Corrupted Enervating Moilian Horrid Wilting, 4 charges (5d6 neg energy, 1d6/level, +2d6 vs. Good*, +50% living creatures.)

Extended Mass Command Undead, 5 charges (1 undead/CL, DC 31: Unintelligent undead no save.)

I realize that this is a very powerful magic item, and may look a little over powered, but it is an Artifact. Creation of one of these staves requires no less than six Nightlords of Moil working in concert, casting spells upon the staff every day for two months. Needless to say, only such epic beings can even begin to learn the secrets, or possess the power to craft these awesome magical weapons.

Edited by - Aerik DeVallo on 27 May 2010 13:54:50
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  16:39:44  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spell

Clinging Shadows
Level: 3
Casting time: 1 Standard Action
Components: V,S
Duration: 2 Rounds + 2 Rounds/level
School: Illusion/Phantasm
Area of Effect: Self
Saving Throw: None

Description:

When cast this spell coalesces the surrounding shadows to hide and
protect the caster. The spell gives the caster the following benefits, a
50% chance of hiding in shadows, a +3 to his AC and they absorb the
first 10hp damage that the mage would suffer. For every 3 level over 3rd
level the AC benefit increase by +1, the chance of hiding in shadows
increases by 12%, and the maximum damage absorbed increases by 5hp as
shown on the table below:

Casters
Level % chance if Hiding in Shadows Armor Class Benefit Maximum # of HP
Absorbed
5th-7th 50% +3 10
8th-10th 62% +4 15
11th-13th 74% +5 20
14th-16th 86% +6 25
17th + 98% +7 30

The spell can be ended prematurely by the following means a successful
dispel magic, a daylight spell aimed at caster (Ref save to avoid allowed), or any 3rd level or above spell that would negate a spell or summon illumination of somesort.

The material component of this spell is the surrounding shadows and/or
darkness, so this spell cannot be cast for example on a bright summers
day where there are now shadows or darkness.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  22:38:16  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Melcar’s Frost Nova
Evocation
Level: Sor/wis 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: One action
Range: Close (25ft. + 5ft./2 level)
Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Yes
Spell Resistance: Yes

Small blue and white particles form in the proximity of the caster
forming a blue sphere of magic. When cast the sphere explodes in a 20
ft. radius sphere dealing 1d4 points of damage+1 per level of the
caster(Max + 20) and freezing anyone caught in the blast, in place
for 1d4+1 rounds. A successful reflex save negates the freezing and halves the damage. A successful strength check DC 25 breaks the freezing but inflicts another 1d4+1 points of damage per try or if
successful.

Material: A drop of water
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  16:49:42  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I need to detail some minor artifacts based on items from Pool of Darkness. Specifically, I need to work up a ...

Talisman of Bane

Horn of Storms (or Horn of Doom)

Crystal Ring

They need to be safe for PCs to handle, but also potent for their guardian monsters to actually use in their defense. In the novels, I believe the horn of storms was causing storms "all over the moonsea," which all in all doesn't make much sense. But, I'd love to explain that away with the horn being used at a certain place causes it do such a thing (i.e. sparks from MoF).

So what do people think?
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2010 :  20:42:04  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, I was flipping through relics & rituals and I found the dweomerstones or somesuch and it gave me the idea of an interesting idea for powers the "crystal ring."

The crystal ring holds divine power loosed when Karsus' cast his fateful spell and brought Mystryl to her unenviable demise. When the raw weave surged out of Karsus, some became ensnarred within a ring of wizardry that had been presented to Karsus as a gift. The ring was lost when his floating city plummeted and not found by either the Phaerimm or the survivors of Netheril.

The crystal ring acts as a ring of wizardry I with additional powers:
- Spells casts requiring a material component or arcane focus can be cast without them, with the ring serving as an arcane focus. In the case of spells requiring material components with a gold piece value, the ring uses 1 charge for every 1,000 gold pieces of the required component. When the ring gained this power it had 50 charges, but has certainly lost some in the passing years.
- In addition, the wearer may use additional 1st level spells beyond a ring of wizardry I's normal limit. Each use of this power also drains 1 charge from the ring.
Go to Top of Page

Sandstorm
Seeker

Canada
80 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  05:34:36  Show Profile  Visit Sandstorm's Homepage Send Sandstorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Started a campaign some couple months ago in which we're revamping the way feats are obtained in the 3.5 system. I'm currently awarding feats as Achievements. They started off as first level commoners, and are all second level now, but two I have awarded the class of Expert through story line play. One has been awarded weapon focus dart, and one has made 3 consecutive Fortitude saves, so if his rolling continues, he could be well in line for a Greater Fortitude. Its a really fun way to play it, makes it more interesting for the players, and fun for me the DM as well to keep track of their failures and successes and award them based upon them. I suggest trying it out.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2011 :  02:57:01  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ring of the Dead Man’s Steps

Description: These rings can protect a warrior or wizard from injury on the battlefield, but can prove deadly if their owner does not understand their magic properly. They are usually undecorated, inexpensive looking rings of tarnished bronze or copper.
It is rumoured that the original Ring of the Dead Man’s Steps was created by the renegade Red Wizard Velsharoon (prior to his lichdom and eventual deification) when he dwelt in the Tower Terrible of Soorenar. However, the secrets of its creation quickly spread throughout Chessenta, excepting the magic-hating city-state of Luthcheq,. They are favoured by mages and sorcerers because they offer some extra protection in melee combat. The War Hero Aphelliad of Cimbar was also believed to possess one, which would explain his legendary capacity to battle entire divisions of enemy spearmen without appearing to take harm. Some powers have even planted these rings on powerful slave beasts, extending their lifespan (and damage dealing potential) on the field of war without concern for the creature’s eventual demise when the ring’s magic failed.
Properties: The ring absorbs all damage from all non-magical melee and missile weapons whilst the wearer is actively engaged in melee combat. It offers no protection from other forms of damage, such as enchanted weapons, natural weapons and energy damage (from fire or cold etc.). A tally should be kept of the hit point damage absorbed by the ring. When the wearer ceases to be in melee combat, roll 1d6+1 to determine how many rounds pass before the ring’s magic ceases. When the magic ceases, all the hit point damage stored in the ring is instantly transferred to the wearer to potentially lethal effect!
If the wearer returns to melee combat before the ring’s magic falters, its effects continue as normal. Healing magic restores the wearer real hit point first, and the hit point damage in the ring second.
For example, Joreth has 13 hit points. He is fighting a pair of bandits. One is wielding a dagger+1 whilst the other carries a greatsword. Before he slays them, both his opponents strike him, The dagger wielder inflicts 4 points of damage and reduces his hit points to 9, whilst the bandit with the greatsword lands several blows, inflicting a total of 15 points of damage which are all absorbed by the ring. After both bandits are dead, Joreth’s player rolls 1d6+1 with a result of 4. In 4 rounds, the ring’s magic will fail and the 15 points of damage will pass to Joreth, killing him. There is no-one else left to fight, but luckily, his companion Mera rushes over and casts a healing spell, restoring 9 hit points. His hit point changes from 9 back to 13 and 5 points are also negated from the damage stored by the ring. When its magic expires, only 10 points of damage are transferred to Joreth, leaving him with 3 hit points. Alive, barely!
Using the ring, it would be possible to fight indefinitely given a continual stream of enemies. However, all Rings of the Dead Man’s Steps have a limit to the amount of hit points they absorb. In some rings the limit is 50, in others the limit is 100. Only an identify spell can determine the limit of a ring. Should the limit be exceeded, the ring explodes. The explosion will instantly kill the wearer unless a successful Fortitude save is made. Even if the save is successful, 50% of the damage stored in the ring is transferred to the wearer. Unfortunates killed in this way can be restored to life through the usual means. The explosion also inflicts 2d10 points of negative energy damage to all in a 20’ radius,
Attributes: Faint Necromancy, CL 12th.
Creation: Lesser Ironguard, False Life, Forge Ring
Cost: 80, 000 gp
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  16:15:54  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is an artifact I'm using in my current campaign. Its inspired by reading the entry on Gargauth in Powers and Pantheons. Brevity is not my strong point so I've split it in two!

The Gold Knife of Astaroth

History: Bards of the South often sing the tale known as ‘the Legacy of Astaroth’. The story tells of how the dwarven minstrel Astaroth arrived at the gates of now forgotten dwarven realm. After performing a number of cantrips and showman’s tricks he charmed the dwarves enough to be invited to join their evening meal. Over dinner, the dwarves noticed with astonishment that everything Astaroth touched turned to solid gold; his tankard, his plate, the utensils with which he ate, even the doorknob to the Great Hall! Strangely, Astaroth seemed utterly ignorant of the effect he was having.
After the meal, the cunning dwarves invited their guest to tour their city. The minstrel was encouraged to touch every metal item the dwarves could find – even the veins of iron that ran beneath their city. By the time Astaroth left, his hosts were so rich they renamed their citadel the Halls of Pure Gold.
They had little time to celebrate their wealth. Within twenty-four hours, a vast horde of giants and orcs were knocking at their golden gates. The dwarves scrambled to defend their home, only to enter their armoury and discover every axe, every sword, every link of chain mail and breastplate had been transformed into gold, utterly pure but utterly useless in battle.
Within a fortnight, the Halls had fallen, and as the dwarf king witnessed the last of his kin falling to the weapons of his enemies, he cursed the name of Astaroth as he cut his own throat with his belt knife, whose blade, of course, had also turned to gold.
The name of that dwarf king, along with the true name of his city, has been lost to history, so the knife that ended his life is instead remembered by the name of visitor that brought his doom, Astaroth.
The irony is that Astaroth is nothing but an alias, and the minstrel was none other than Gargauth the Outcast, the Tenth Lord of the Nine, the demigod and baatezu prince. The knife has since become a powerful artefact of evil.
The modern history of the Gold Knife of Astaroth can be traced to 963 DR, when it somehow ended up in the hands of High Autarch Tharazal of Unthalass. Corrupted by the knife’s power, Tharazal subtle redistribution of the massive tax revenues at his disposal became more and more overt, until the God-King Gilgeam realised his deception and slew him with a single blow of his hand. Recognising the Gold Knife for what is was but lacking the power to destroy it Gilgeam hurled it hundreds of leagues into the Sea of Fallen Stars with a single mighty throw. As Beshaba’s bad luck would have it, the knife did not plunge into the depths of the sea to be forgotten. Instead, it buried itself soundly in the wood of the harpy shaped figurehead of The Maid’s Cloven Heart, the flagship of nefarious pirate lord Heleban Silverhand.
Already a terror to shipping upon the Inner Sea, the unquenchable gold lust awakened by Astaroth’s Knife caused Helebran to embark on a campaign of raiding and pillaging that would only be rivalled by Immurk the Invincible two centuries later.
Fifteen years of ceaseless plunder wore Helebran out, and when he finally died the knife passed between the hands of numerous buccaneers until eventually falling into the claws of the topaz dragon Galaenorarra, who deposited it in her hoard and promptly ignored it for33 years until it was stolen in 1066 DR by the ranger One-eyed Hadrald.
The daring old ranger spent many years warring with the artefact’s covetous curse, and very few ever learnt he was the legendary Blackhawk Bandit who plagued the Dalelands throughout the 1070s, a guise he assumed in order to satiate his hunger for gold. Eventually, in 1081 just three years before his peaceful death of old age, he was able to divest himself of the knife and its curse with the assistance of Allesail Twolakes, a priestess of Waukeen. The knife was stolen from Allesail but a few days later, and for a century was not heard of.
In 1231, the Year of the Bright Star, the knife appeared in possession of Arges Ashskull, Master of the Amphitheatre of First Thunder in Mourktar. Arges became fabulously wealthy thanks to the trio of broken-horned minotaurs he brought to fight in the arena, which proved a hugely popular attraction for both gamblers and spectators. However, in 1234 DR Arges was murdered by persons unknown and the knife disappeared once again.
It is rumoured that the knife spent most of the beginning of the fourteenth century in the keeping of the merchant Morntel of Amn, one of the Knights of the Shield. However, the most recent report states the knife now belongs to a gold dwarf exiled from the Great Rift named Elgyth Sorndar.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2011 :  16:16:45  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Powers: The Gold Knife of Astaroth can bestow a number of powerful abilities to the wielder, but only if the demands of the curse are fulfilled. If the wielder fails in these demands, or is able to resist the knife’s curse, it functions only as a dagger+1 with a continual Detect Thoughts ability. This Detect Thoughts is impossible to stop; wearying the wielder with constantly overheard thoughts, and seems to focus particularly on negative thoughts or thoughts likely to offend or upset the wielder.
When the wielder is in the knife’s thrall and has fulfilled all the demands of the curse, he can use the following abilities. The wielder is considered to have CL 15.
• Detect Thoughts: as per spell, at will.
• Summon Swarm: 1/day the wielder of the knife can summon a scarab beetle swarm (as per the Fiend Folio). This ability functions just as the spell summon monster except that the wielder has no control over the swarm – it will attack everything in sight, including the possessor of the knife!
• Treacherous Knives: 1/day the wielder can cause the any non-magical daggers within a 30’ radius to animate and attack their owner. As many daggers are animated as a character carries on his body (excluding weapons in extra-dimensional spaces such as a bag of holding). The daggers fight as if they have the dancing special ability for 2d4 rounds. They have a base attack bonus of +5 and can make attacks of opportunity. They can only attack their owner, should he been slain, the daggers attacking will drop to the floor, inert. The daggers can fly after their foes at a speed of 40’, if their target moves more than 40’ away the magic ends.
• Iron to Gold: 5/day the wielder can transform a single item of iron or steel into gold. The transformed item has a value of 5 gp for every pound of weight, but is often useless for its intended purporse. Gold weapons and armour break after 1d4 rounds, until broken weapons take a -2 penalty to damage rolls and armour only provides a +1 armour bonus. Gold created in this way does not contribute to the amount of gold the wielder is required to acquire in order to fulfil the conditions of the curse. Magical items cannot be affected by this ability.
• Summon Erinyes: 1/day the wielder can summon a single erinyes (as per the Monster Manual) to do his bidding. Before the erinyes can be summoned, the wielder must sacrifice a humanoid creature with an intelligence of at least 3 or higher. The sacrifice takes five rounds to enact. The erinyes will serve the wielder for 24 hours.
• Dominate: This is a continuous ability. The wielder can dominate up to 10 HD worth of humanoid creatures using the knife. This effect functions as per the spell dominate person, with the exceptions as follows. In order to dominate a target, the wielder’s blood, drawn by the knife, must touch the bare skin of the target creature. Dominated creatures are permitted a daily Will save to break the enchantment. If a creature makes a successful Will save, it can never again be dominated by its magic.
In addition, the knife is particularly potent against horned humanoids (minotaurs for example). It can dominate 10 HD of horned humanoids in addition to the normal allowance. Horned humanoids suffer a -2 penalty to their Will saves. As a side effect, one horn of any such being dominated in this way shears in two.
If the knife’s wielder is slain, or he loses possession of the knife for more than a turn, then all creatures are released from their domination.
Curse: The wielder of the knife faces an overwhelming urge to obtain gold, which grows stronger and stronger the longer he possesses it.
In order to resist the knife’s curse, a DC 15 Will check is required. If successful, a character may use discard the knife at will or use it, although its powers are trifling without fulfilling the demands of the curse (see above). Those who fail their save make subsequent checks every month. Even if a subsequent check is successful, the wielder of the knife cannot bring himself to discard the knife, he simply gains a reprieve for 1d4 weeks. After each reprieve, he must make another check. If he fails, the curse begins again. Only a remove curse, wish magic, or similarly powerful magic (as adjudicated by the DM) can break the curse after the initial contact.
In order to use most of the knife’s abilities, he must surrender to the curse. In the first tenday he possesses the knife; he must obtain a value of 50 gp in gold. The following tenday he must obtain 100 gp, on the third tenday 150 gp and so on, the total value increasing by 50 gp every tenday without any upper limit. The wielder may obtain this gold by foul means or fair, and although he doesn’t have to do anything with it, he cannot spend or invest it any way. However, excess gold from one tenday can be put toward the total required for the next – for example, if the wielder obtains 150 gp in the first tenday he has the Knife, then he need not find more gold the following tenday.
Should the wielder fail to gain the requisite gold, the knife’s powers cease to work until the total is reached, whereupon the curse continues as normal. Dominated creatures are not released from their enchantment during this period, but they cannot be actively controlled by the wielder. They always stay within sight of him and will defend him if he is attacked, but no more than that. They also benefit from a +5 bonus to their daily Will checks to break the enchantment.
Destruction: There are two ways the Gold Knife of Astaroth can be destroyed.
• The knife can be shattered with a single blow of Moradin’s hammer, Soulhammer.
• If a formerly evil creature, who has truly and totally changed his ways to good, plunges the knife into his own heart with his own hand, the knife will lose all power, becoming a simple dagger of cold iron.

Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2011 :  21:43:57  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
In the novels, I believe the horn of storms was causing storms "all over the moonsea," which all in all doesn't make much sense.

The Moonsea is small enough that if the horn were to create a normal storm, the whole sea could be affected. Just assume that the horn creates an ordinary thunderstorm of normal size and intensity. This makes it equivalent to a mid-level spell.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2011 :  14:33:15  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice item...
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2011 :  09:37:50  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cloak of Ghosts

Description: A rare and troubling cloak of necromantic design, the Cloak of Ghosts allows its wearer to adopt the visages of the dead. A Cloak of Ghosts is a long, plain black cloak large enough to conceal the body shape of its wearer in its voluminous folds. It has a deep cowl that can completely cover the face in shadow. It seems to offer little protection from the elements; wind and rain seems to unerringly penetrate its fabric to chill the wearer.
It is known that the first Cloak of Ghosts was created by Velsharoon before he became the Lich-Lord. Somehow it came into the possession of the renowned mercenary and swordmaster Dooney Brassfingers, who shortly thereafter adopted the name Dooney the Penitent. In his later years Dooney came to regret all those men he had slain, and would order his benighted servants to wear the Cloak of Ghosts so that he could apologise to the faces of those who had fallen to his blade. Following Dooney’s death the cloak fell into the hands of a minor mage known as Lasmund of the Rainbow Runes, who was rumoured to have joined the Cult of the Dragon.
This Cloak of Ghosts may have been a unique item, but reports from Thay suggest otherwise.
Properties: The Cloak of Ghosts has no particular abilities until the cowl is drawn over the head. With the cowl in place, its peculiar magic comes into effect. When those close to the wearer (a range of 10’) look at his partially hidden face, they see the features of someone known to them from their past but now dead. Unless a successful Will save is made, they become shaken (immunities or protections from gaze attacks apply).
With concentration, the wearer of the cloak can enhance this ability to affect a single onlooker in a particular way. The Cloak of Ghosts can be used once a day to bring about one of the following powers:
Face Best Left Forgotten: The onlooker sees the face of someone who once terrified them, and is affected as per the spell fear (but affecting only that one person).
Old Friends: The onlooker sees the face of an old friend who is remembered fondly. Unless a Will save is made, the onlooker will listen carefully to the advice of the cloak’s wearer. He can easily be persuaded to give away important information and might even be influenced towards some decision or action (the exact effects are adjudicated by the DM).
Untimely Loss: The onlooker witnesses the face of someone close to them who died before their time. Unless a Will save is made, they become convinced that this is their chance to save their lost friend. They will do anything they can to protect the wearer of the cloak from harm for 3d10 rounds before collapsing into inconsolable sobs for 1d6 rounds (during this time they can take no action beyond defending themselves).
Using the above powers has an additional cost; the next time the wearer of the Cloak of Ghosts sleeps he will be plagued with nightmares. These nightmares are the memories of the deceased soul he impersonated, but only the most terrible or sorrowful moments of the person’s life are featured in the dream.
The Cloak of Ghosts affects all humanoid creatures, but the DM may rule that some onlookers are immune. For example, a young child from a happy home may not have experienced the death of anyone close, thus the Cloak of Ghosts has no effect on him. Some humanoid races have very different attitudes towards the dead, and don’t react to seeing them in the same way as humans or demi-humans.
Attributes: Faint Illusion, Strong Necromancy aura, CL 15th
Creation: Speak with Dead, Dominate Person, Fear, Craft Wondrous Item
Cost: 18, 000 gp
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2011 :  07:58:09  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Caeloth's Chromatic Bolt
Evocation
Level: Dragon 3, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V.S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (2oo’ + 10’ per level)
Targets: Five; each new target must be within 30’ of the previous.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half

This spell was created by the mage Caeloth, a member of the Cult of the Dragon, and has quickly become popular with the Followers of the Scaly Way. It evokes the breath weapons of the chromatic dragons in a chain of energy bolts.

When cast, a bolt of fire leaps out from your extended fingertip and strikes a target, whereupon it does 1d12+1 points of fire damage. A second bolt leaps from the body of the first target to strike another within 30’ (as designated by the caster. The second target suffers 1d10+1 points of electrical damage. The same pattern continues; the third target suffers 1d8+1 points of acid damage, the fourth target 1d6+1 of acid damage, and the fifth and final target suffers 1d4+1 points of cold damage.

The caster selects the target and the bolt strikes unerringly, irrespective of whether the target is in melee combat or has cover. However, once a target has been struck by a bolt he cannot be struck again by its later incarnations. If there is a lack of additional targets within 30’ of the previous target the spell dissipates. For example, Lasmund fires Caeloth’s Chromatic Bolt at a group of three orcs. The fire bolt hits the lead orc, wounding it, then the electrical bolt hits the second orc, killing it. The third orc, an archer, is 40’ away from the second and out of range and the first orc cannot be struck again so the spell dissipates.

Inanimate objects can be targeted with this spell, thus the fire bolt could be used to ignite something flammable, the acid bolt to burn through a lock, or the cold bolt to extinguish a small flame.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2011 :  07:59:54  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mantle of Serpents

Description: A Mantle of Serpents is a leather neck girdle from which hang the skins of many dead snakes. These snake skins fall loosely about the wearer, resembling a glossy leather cloak from a distance. Each skin is fastened to the girdle at the tail but hangs apart from the other snake skins, so the mantle offers next to no protection from rain or a cold breeze.

The Mantle of Serpents was created by Watchknight Dithas Hawkhelm, a priest of Helm’s Shieldhall in Elturel. Concerned with the growing yuan-ti threat from the Serpent Hills to the north, Dithas has been steadily crafting mantles for the last five years. Yuan-ti agents have tried to slay him on no less than four occasions in the last six months, and yet Dithas continues. It is likely he has shared the secrets of the mantle’s manufacture with his fellow priests and the Harper Aluena Halacanter, so even if Dithas should fall to a yuan-ti blade, the Mantle of Serpents will not die with him.

Properties: A Mantle of Serpents typically has 5d6 charges. Each charge is represented by one snake skin attached to the neck girdle. Every time a charge is used, one of the snake skins falls from the girdle, losing its colour and resembling the snake skin shed by a living snake. When all the charges have been used, no more snake skins are left attached to the neck girdle and it loses all magical power. A Mantle of Serpents cannot be recharged.

Whenever the wearer is affected by any form of poison, the mantle negates any damage caused by the poison (including ability score loss) at the cost of one charge. This effect is automatic, and occurs regardless of the wearers wishes. The Mantle of Serpents can also counter the effects of the histachii brew at the cost of two charges, although in truth it is highly unlikely any yuan-ti wouldn't divest a victim of the mantle before administering the draft.

The wearer of the Mantle of Serpents can also recognise pureblood yuan-ti instantly regardless of the effectiveness of any non-magical efforts to pass as human (magical disguises are still effective however). This ability is continual and does not use any charges, but ends when all the charges are expended.

Yuan-ti and ophidians feel an acute hatred towards any being donning a Mantle of Serpents. They have a tendency to attack on sight, and gain a +1 to weapon damage rolls against the wearer.

Attributes: Moderate Conjuration aura, CL 8th
Creation: Neutralise Poison, Sticks to Snakes, Craft Wondrous Item
Cost: 22, 000 gp

Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2011 :  17:03:01  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cloak of Chromatic Protection

Description: A Cloak of Chromatic Protection is a heavy cloak of stiff, tanned leather. It is usually black or brown in colour, and only moderately waterproof, although it does keep its wearer warm in a cold climate. Its exterior is unadorned, but sewn into the trim of the inside of the cloak is a border of small, semi-precious stones. These stones sport the colours of the five species of chromatic dragon – black, blue, green, red and white; a pattern repeated in sequence. Some examples of these cloaks feature not gems but actual dragon's scales from the afore mentioned dragons. Such cloaks may have further, undescribed powers, but they are never used by members of the Cult of the Dragon.

Cloaks of Chromatic Protection have been in use amongst the Cult of the Dragon for the last century or so. Cult members are not always on good terms with the evil dragons which they try to subvert; Cloaks of Chromatic Protection are of definite benefit when entering the lair of an unknown dragon for the first time.

Since the Time of Troubles, Cloaks of Chromatic Protection have begun to see wider use. A number have turned up on the shoulders of adventurers, wizards and dragonhunters in recent years, particularly in the North and along the Sword Coast.

Properties: A Cloak of Chromatic Protection provides protection against the five forms of chromatic dragonbreath; the acid of the black, the lightning of the blue, the poison breath of the green, the fire of the red and the frost of the white. This protection confers damage reduction 2/- for every die of damage the dragon’s breath does. For example, the breath of a young adult green dragon does 10d6 points of damage, thus the wearer of a Cloak of Chromatic Protection would reduce the amount of damage inflicted by 20 points. This effect is in addition to the standard Reflex save to take half damage from a breath weapon.

This protection is specific to the breath of the five listed species of chromatic dragon. It confers no protection from similar energy attacks created by other monsters or by spells. It does not even confer protection from the breath weapons of other dragons (such as a gold dragon’s fire breath).

Attributes: Moderate Abjuration aura, CL 9th
Creation: Protection from Energy (one spell cast for each energy type), Diminish Dragonbreath (Dragons of Faerun), Craft Wondrous Item.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  16:00:50  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slackening
Transmutation
Level: Bard 2. Sor/Wiz 2, Trickery 2, Craft 3
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25’)
Targets: One creature or object per level, no more than 20’ apart.
Duration: Permanent, but easily corrected (see below).
Saving Throw: None

This spell is popular amongst bards, Harpers and Gondsmen, although it was apparently created by Ranrath Minnith, a mage come barkeep at the Restless Drake of Ordulin, who found it ideal for disrupting tavern brawls.
The spell causes all bindings it targets to loosen and even unravel, which can cause all kinds of mayhem if properly applied. The spell can be targeted at creatures or objects. If a creature is targeted, then all ties or bindings on its person (such as belts, armour buckles, shoe laces and bow strings) loosen but do not unravel completely. This has a number of effects. First of all, the targets clothing becomes loose and entangling. Trousers fall about the ankles, bodices slip, and suspenders cease suspending. Most characters receive a temporary -1 Dexterity penalty and -1 to hit, whilst magic users have a 35% chance of arcane spell failure. These penalties can be negated by retying the affected clothing – this is a full round action. Some outfits may lack ties or fastenings, and are thus unaffected by this spell.
Slackening is a particularly effective when used against bows and crossbows. The spell saps the tension in the bowstring; the range of such weapons is halved and the wielder suffers a -4 to hit penalty when shooting. This effect is negated when the bow is restrung, also a full round action. All bows carried by the targeted creature are affected.
If the spell’s is used against an inanimate object, each knot or fastening is counted as a separate target. These ties come undone if the caster makes a Spellcraft check (DC 5). The spell caster can find all kinds of imaginative ways to use this effect, from unbinding trussed captives to letting a hanging tapestry fall across a charging foe.
The material component of this spell is a wound piece of twine, which is unravelled and ultimately consumed as the spell is cast.
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2011 :  20:44:19  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cloak of Drama

This cloak always flows and flutters perfectly, or remains perfectly still if that would be more dramatic. The effect is that it grants a +1 bonus to CHA checks rolled by the DM as the wearer enters an encounter. It can also grant the bonus at any other time that the DM feels appropriate, but on only one CHA check per encounter.

Wearing this cloak while protraying an appropriate character on stage will grant a +1 bonus to the actor's Performance check. If worn while playing an inappropriate character, it inflicts a -1 penalty. (It looks good on Beowulf, but not on Madame Butterfly.)

Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2011 :  05:05:30  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Carrion Cloak

Description: This macabre cloak is crudely fashioned from the hide of a skinned herd animal. Blood still stains the cloak and it smells faintly of decay. Carrion Cloaks are popular amongst evil druids, lycanthropes and Uthgardt shamans.

Properties: Carrion Cloaks provide a +4 competence bonus to hide checks when worn in wilderness areas. The cloak has two more sinister powers.

Stench of death. Once a day, the wearer can cause the Carrion Cloak to stink like a decaying corpse. This effect is identical to the spell Stinking Cloud with a duration of 1d6+3 rounds.
Dying scream. Once per day, the Carrion Cloak can emit a scream like a dying animal. It flaps wildly about the wearer and blood drips from its edges. This effect is like the spell Cause Fear, and affects all creatures within 20’ of the wearer. Animals are particularly affected and suffer a -4 penalty to their will save.

Any non-evil character that uses the Carrion Cloak cannot shake off a feeling of unease, and suffers from a -2 penalty to all Fortitude and Will saves whilst the cloak is on his back.

Attributes: Faint Transmutation aura, CL 5th
Creation: Cause Fear, Stinking Cloud, Craft Wondrous Item
Cost: 5,000 gp
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2011 :  15:35:51  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Horned Headdress of Hainomar

Description: The Horned Headdress of Hainomar appears to be a headpiece constructed from a large bull’s skull. In fact, the skull belongs not to a bull, but to a minotaur. The wearer’s face is framed in the jaws of the headdress, and a pair of gently curved, rune embossed horns sweep out to either side, each one the length of a short sword.

Hainomar was an infamous minotaur Stormlord of Talos who stalked the Realms two hundred years ago. After Hainomar was decapitated by the tiefling blackguard Kretheeba Lonesail, the minotaur’s followers recovered his head and carried it to Talos’ sacred valley, the Gulf of Storms. There, Weathermaster Sannagerrt turned Hainomar’s skull and horns into a powerful magical headdress.

The Horned Headdress of Hainomar was worn by many powerful priests of Talos over following decades. In 1304 DR it was lost when Talon Banroon Jackdrum fell victim to the vampire Lennataneen Vol. Vol was in turn destroyed by the Company of the Firestar, who used the Horned Headdress of Hainomar for a winter until eventually selling it back to the church of Talos for a fortune in emeralds. This gambit proved costly to the Company of the Firestar, who discovered the emeralds summoned bad weather wherever they travelled.

In 1353 DR Talos’ clergy lost the headdress once again when their priest Grymhand the Grave was slain by the Malarite Mulkyn Crayneene. It is believed Mulkyn wear the headdress to this day.

Properties: The wearer of the Horned Headdress of Hainomar gains the following abilities:

• +1 arcane bonus to AC.
• Ability to track as per a ranger using the survival skill, in addition to a +1 bonus to all tracking checks.
• The wearer is never caught flat-footed.

Furthermore, the horns of the headdress can be detached and blown to produce magical effects. Each horn can be blown once per day. The left horn duplicates the effects of a horn of blasting, whereas the right horn summons a single gathra (see the Fiend Folio) which follows the wearer’s commands for 1d6+6 rounds and then vanishes.

However, if both horns are used in the same 24 hour period, then the headdress’ additional powers (listed above) cease to function until the following sunrise.

Attributes: Moderate Conjuration and Evocation aura, CL 17th
Creation: Summon Monster IX, Shout, Craft Wondrous Item
Cost: 35, 000 gp
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2011 :  11:25:08  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lafylyth
Moonblade of the Lythari

Lafylyth is one of the legendary moonblades of the elves. Enchanting in beauty and enchanted in magic, even considering the unique nature of the moonblades, Lafylyth stands apart.

It is an exceptionally crafted mithral longsword, with a flaring leaf shaped blade. Inscribed on the blade are nine elven runes, representing the nine lythari who have wielded the sword. The hilt is bound in black oak leaves magically enchanted to be as durable as strong leather. Set in the pommel is a massive moonstone.

The moonblades were created to select a king or queen of Evermeet, the mythical refuge of the elves. However, Lafylyth has found a different purpose. It serves the interests of the lythari, a rare, almost legendary tribe of lycanthropic elves who can take on the form of wolves. Unlike the more common and rightly feared werewolf, the lythari do not succumb to evil when they take the form of the wolf. In fact, they are goodly creatures, albeit shy and secretive.

The lythari have a communal, somewhat anarchic society; Lafylyth plays no part in choosing their ruler as they have none. Instead, the sword’s powers are unlocked by a single lythari each generation, who use it to defend the interests of his people.

History: Lafylyth’s story is told in the oral song-histories of the lythari. Its origins are difficult to determine, but it seems likely that Lafylyth was forged in the early days of Myth Drannor. Accounts conflict as to whether the moonblade was crafted specifically for the lythari, or if its history became intertwined with them later. One story suggests that Lafylyth’s first wielder was a distant scion of Evermeet’s ruling Moonflower family who fell in love with a lythari and chose to join their tribe.

Whatever the truth of the matter, the names of the first three wielders of Lafylyth are lost to history. However, their legacy remains in the three powers they bestowed upon the moonblade and their three runes which decorate its blade. The powers are elfshadow (described in Magic of Faerun), keen and spellblade (also described in Magic of Faerun).

The earliest recorded wielder was Siaelam Nightswan. She took Lafylyth north from Cormanthor and made a home in the High Forest. Known for her caution and wisdom, she bestowed the power to detect silver on the blade.

From Siaelam Lafylyth was passed to Kaethal Wintersong. Kaethal was exceptional amongst the lythari in that he could take the form of a powerful winter wolf. He roamed far, exploring the coldest forests of the Savage North. He was eventually slain by a white dragon. He gifted the moonblade with its curious variant of the hold person spell.

The moon elf adventurer Lanmahmil Rylinilthar retrieved Lafylyth from the white wyrm’s hoard and returned it to the lythari. She became a trusted ally and friend over many decades, and eventually opted to become lythari herself, and became the moonblade’s wielder. Following the fall of Myth Drannor, Lanmahmil joined the Retreat and bore Lafylyth to Evermeet. A wise judge of character, she instilled Lafylyth with its ability to sense motives.

Lafylyth’s subsequent bearer was the ranger Valandil Greyhunter. Valandil was reported to have taken elven form only three times over the course a single century, spending the rest of his days hunting Evermeet’s forests as a wolf. The final time he was seen in elven form he passed Lafylyth onto its next possessor, the healer Adlanniel Brightdawn. After being borne by Valandil, Lafylyth was able to bestow some of its powers onto a lythari in wolf form.

Gentle Adlanniel carried Lafylyth for many years. Calm, quiet and unswerving in her kindness, she was the closest thing to a figurehead the lythari have ever had. Though she never sought to lead, her wisdom and insight was legendary. In her care, Lafylyth gained the capacity to transform an elf afflicted with normal lycanthropy into a lythari.

In the final stages of her long, long life, Adlanniel encouraged her people to join their elven brethren in the Return to Faerun’s shores. Eventually, Adlanniel bequeathed the moonblade to Ceirynel Scatteredsky to further this mission.

It is Ceirynel who bears Lafylyth now. He runs with a small pack of lythari in the High Forest, although he has travelled far and wide over the Realms and has contacted the lythari dwelling in the Forest of Tethyr and other isolated groups in the remotest regions of the Savage North. Ceirynel is a bard, and has instilled Lafylyth with the capacity to emit a terrific howl which has a rallying effect upon elves and lythari who hear it.

Powers: Lafylyth is a longsword+3. It is mildly sentient, with the following ability scores: Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 12. It can communicate with its wielder via a faint empathic link, and can magically see and hear to a range of 60’. As a moonblade it has acquired an impressive array of powers from its previous owners.
Keen.
Elfshadow (detailed in Magic of Faerun).
SpellbladeLightning Bolt (also detailed in Magic of Faerun).
Hold Person 3/day as per spell. Creatures affected by this ability are encased a thin film of ice for the duration of the spell. Creatures with the fire subtype also suffer 1d4 cold damage. Lafylyth must make a successful strike against the target creature to use this effect.
• Sense Motive 10 ranks.
Detect silver at will, 10’ radius.
• In wolf form, the wielder’s bite attack gains a +3 to hit and damage plus the keen special ability.
• Cure lycanthropy 1/month. This ability can only affect infected elves, not other creatures. Werewolves become lythari, other forms of lycanthropy are cured fully.
Rallying Howl 1/day. By whipping the moonblade through the air, the wielder can make a sound akin to a wolf’s howl. Lythari within 30’ gain a +3 morale bonus to attack roles, saves and skill checks for 2d4 rounds, elves (not drow) gain a +1 morale bonus but only for 1d6 rounds.

Lafylyth has the special purpose of protecting and serving the lythari, and an effective ego of 18. However, due to the special bond and circumstances concerning Lafylyth and its wielder, a clash of egos would almost never happen. The sword’s alignment is chaotic good.

Other moonblades pass from one owner to another when the preceding wielder dies. This is not necessarily the case with Lafylyth - on a several occasions in history the current bearer and the moonblade itself have opted to pass to a more able wielder. In such a case the previous owner can no longer use Lafylyth’s power.

In the hands of an elf of good alignment, Lafylyth acts a longsword+3. Only a lythari of good alignment claim Lafylyth and use the full range of its powers. Claimants deemed unworthy do not receive negative levels as per a standard moonblade. The ritual to claim Lafylyth must take place in particular sacred grove which probably lies in the forests of Evermeet, but may even exist on a different plane.

If a non-elf, or an elf of neutral or evil alignment tries to holds Lafylyth unsheathed, the wielder must make a will save. Failure indicates the wielder receives 1d6 negative levels, which cannot be regained by any means whilst the wielder carries the moonblade. Releasing Lafylyth negates this penalty instantly. If the negative levels exceed the holder’s level, the holder dies. Regardless, Lafylyth carries no magic for such a wielder, and is considered nothing more than a masterwork longsword.

Attributes: Strong aura of transmutation, divination, abjuration, conjuration and evocation, CL 15th.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2011 :  11:29:24  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gonna ad my latest spell... enjoy!

Melcar’s Spell Miasma
Abjuration
Level: Sor/wiz 9
Casting Time: One action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Until next spell
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

This spell brings into effect the very power and mechanics of the weave. This spell is cast before an offensive spell. The next spell the caster of Melcar’s Spell Miasma casts cannot then be stopped by any known means: Any known protection spell, magic resistance, spell turning, absorption, anti-magic shell, counterspell, immunities, and so on. Even items such as Rod of Absorption, Ring of Spellturning or Shield of Mirroring does not protect against this spell. The only defense for the target of this spell is a saving throw - if the spell in question allows one. Even then, such rolls suffer a -5 penalty.
Melcar’s Spell Miasma does not prevent events that would normally disrupt the casting of the second spell.

Material: One Weave Sphere and a Star Sapphire

Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2011 :  16:50:10  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lute of the Healing Hymn

Description: A lute of the healing hymn is typically wrought from the wood of the rare high hazel, which reputedly only grows on the slopes of the Troll Mountains in Amn. It has sixteen strings paired in eight courses. Bards say the golden strings are nymph hair, plucked willingly from her head by the nymph herself. Whether this is true or not, the beautiful strings never tarnish or lose their tone.
Lutes of the healing hymn are particularly rare but have an ancient lineage. The oldest examples are said to predate Myth Drannor. The scarcity of these lutes seems to stem from their unusual creation; they can only be made by an elven spellsinger and a freewalker of Eldath working in tandem.

Properties: The lute of the healing hymn can only be used by a character with at least one rank in perform (lute).Once per day, the player can receive the effects of a cure moderate wounds (2d8+15 hit points) spell following one hour of uninterrupted play. Alternatively this effect can be bestowed on a single listener within earshot. In this case, the player must make a successful perform (lute) check for the listener to receive the benefits of the spell. Even if the skill check fails, the lute’s power cannot be used again until the following day.
Characters who worship Eldath as their patron deity are healed an additional 1d6 hit points by the lute’s song.

Attributes: Moderate conjuration, CL 15th
Creation: Cure Moderate Wounds, Perform (lute) 5, Craft Wondrous Item
Cost: 7, 000 gp

Go to Top of Page

Basil the Geek
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  23:29:34  Show Profile Send Basil the Geek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a fun little magical plot hook device from my campaign.

Xin Shards
These faintly radiant, clear, diamond hard fragments range in size from a pea to one the size of a largish apple with all showing evidence of having suffered from a terribly destructive force.

Some people claim to have seen within shards the image of a Netherese city majestically floating among the clouds all bathed in glorious sunlight. There are others who claim that breaking a shard has no effect on this image which then exists completely intact within all the new fragments. To see the image one must peer deeply into an intact facet while adjusting the crystal and back lighting it with the noon day sun of a clear, cloudless day. No other illumination seems to work (Search DC17)

The immediate effects of possessing a shard are as follows.

Spell Resistance (SR20)
The possessor of the shard is subject to radiation that distorts the weave in such a manner as to reduce the effectiveness of spells and spell like effects targeting the user.

Variable Luck Bonus +2
Once during a round, as a free action, the DM can apply a +2 luck bonus to any one action beneficial to the possessor only if such actions are good aligned. An unluck -2 penalty or no bonus at all can also occur should the user act in an evil manner.

Netherese Item Empowerment?
It is rumored that one possessor of a shard discovered he had a limited ability to empower Netherese Mythallar enchanted items as long as the item and shard are within his possession. Strange, detrimental side effects were said to occur depending on the items empowered. The story eventually goes that the young adventurer and friends foolishly attempted empowering their own floating Netherese enclave. The result was a brief but spectacular temporary empowerment of the enclaves Mythallar immediately followed by a cataclysmic explosion and the complete disintegration of the shard wearer and shard.

A Curse?
It is also rumored that several possessors of Xin Shards have fallen into ill fortune having taken on strange and sudden fits of memory lapse, extreme mood swings and even one known to have suffered complete personality change declaring he was a Netherese wizards apprentice seeking help to save his people.

Forewarned by the Terraseer and unable to stop Karsus from carrying out his desperate act to unite and save Netheril from the blight of the Phaerrimm, the high council of Xinlanal moved to complete Ioulaum’s improved Mythallar. It was thought the great spell would impart enough of their collective will into the city’s Mythallar to give it divine sentience assuring the survival of the city. Instead, something completely unexpected occurred resulting in today’s burnt, broken and rare magical curiosities known as Xin shards.
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2011 :  20:47:34  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Switcheroo Scheckel

This enchanted, silver coin can only be used by rogues. Most prefer not to, because it takes so much work to use, the profit margin is low and you need to have money to steal money. Several of these coins are being neglected in the bottoms of dusty drawers in various thieves' guilds.

All the rogue has to to is to point at another coin, then at the Switcheroo Scheckel. The two coins will instantly switch places. The rogue can use it again and again, switching coins from two piles, one coin at a time, until somebody notices all the pointing or the movement of the coins.

Ownership of the Switcheroo Scheckel won't change until someone speaks the coin's name (clearly written on both faces) while holding the coin.

Since it costs about 5000gp (plus a scheckel in mint condition) to make a Switcheroo Scheckel, it can take quite a lot of work to steal back your investment, even if you're switching coppers for Harbor Moons. The only time most rogues would actually want one of these is when they need to steal a specific and significant coin.

Go to Top of Page

johnsimmons
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  15:46:57  Show Profile  Visit johnsimmons's Homepage Send johnsimmons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The pendant does work flawlessly! I think the design of it is pretty nice and not done bad. Any more tips you guys to share though?

John
http://www.theatremagic.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000