Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2004 :  08:19:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Philter of the Jaguar
Preparation: 2 hrs.
DC: 25
Dosage: 20
Duration: 30 min. per dosage
Description: Created from various herbs as well as chemicals, this alchemical compound (usually shaped like a pill) when swallowed increases a character’s dexterity. For the above-mentioned duration, the character gains +4 to dexterity and gains all benefits from the new modifiers related to this primary ability. Note: One round must pass once swallowed before the compound abilities kick in.
Note of Warning: Once the duration of this compound expires, the character suffers from the compound’s side effect. For an equal amount of the duration, the character suffers a penalty of –4 to his/her dexterity.
Special Note: In order to create the Philter of the Jaguar, alchemical equipment is required.
Material Cost: 600 gp

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  17:10:56  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A wizened old silver elf casually approaches and enters the Magic Shop, stopping before Grel.
"Greetings and well met to you Grel," the elf says in an enchantingly melodic voice, cutting off the greeting the supprised goblin would normally make to a newcomer to the shop. "Allow me to indroduce myself," the elf says with a deep bow. "I am called Tal'Querith Espriarithyl Moonflower, or Tal if you so prefer," he says, gracefully pulling himself upright. Without awaiting a response from the goblin before him, he continues. "I have with me a suit of armor that you've most likely never seen the likes of before...a suit that I no longer have need for and happily offer it to this fine establishment under only one condition." He pauses then to make sure he has Grel's absolute attention, which he of course does as Grel is no novice to the ways of a smart merchant. "I wish for this suit to one day, mayhaps, enter the hands of a goodly spirit whom you deem worthy, not just any wandering soul who's eye it catches," Tal says, pulling a fairly large sac out of an impossibly small pouch hidden in the lining of his weather-beaten silver-grey cloak. Kneeling down, Tal rests the sac on the ground and pulls from it a beautifully crafted set of what appears to be scale mail that faintly glows azure though the metal is the silvery sheen of adamantine. "I'm sure you'd like to hear what benefits are bestowed upon the wearer and of course, how it was crafted," Tal says, the beginings of a half-smile touching his lips as the prospect of telling the story brings out the bard in him.
"Why yes, yes of course, please do tell your tale," Grel replies, noticing as he continues to eye the armor that the scales aren't stitched to leather as per the usual method, rather worked into the pattern of a suit of chain mail.
"Ah, wonderful," Tal says. "Now, where to begin..."

Bladesong Coat
Minor Artifact

The result of peaceful teamwork between a mastersmith elf and a mastersmith dwarf, this suit of armor is like no other. When crafting chain mail, a pattern is followed: four rings forming a two-dimensional box are all connected with a single ring in the middle. Put a hole in the top of a very small metal scale and replace the middle ring with that scale, you now have armor that (somehow) hangs more comftorably, flexes easier, while weighing nearly the same as before. Stats are as follows:
Medium Armor
Armor Bonus: 6
Maximum Dex Bonus: 3
Armor Check Penalty: -3
Arcane Spell Fail: 10%
Speed: 30ft (30ft)/20ft (20ft)
Weight: 15 lbs.

Mithril rings make up the chain mail portion of this armor and adamantine scales (magically enhanced to make them as light as mithril) make up the scale mail portion. As a whole, the armor is treated as being mithril and is indestructable.
This +7 everbright suit of Scale-ring armor continuously bestowes detect evil, detect magic, and true seeing effects upon the wearer, as well as a constant protection from evil effect granted to the wearer as long as the armor is worn. As a free action, the wearer can utter a command word (telepathically bestowed to the owner by the armor) and be under the effects of a Haste and Blur spell. Finally, three times per day as a swift action, the weilder can command the armor to reflect spells back upon their caster as per the Spell Turning spell.

(Many apologies if I've overstepped my bounds but the prospect of sharing magical items I've created and any chance to roleplay, even the slightest, I jump upon )

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire

Edited by - Neo2151 on 04 Jun 2005 08:38:55
Go to Top of Page

Tethtoril
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  20:09:01  Show Profile  Visit Tethtoril's Homepage Send Tethtoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Aboard Neo2151!

All things FR and magical are wellcome within these walls and more particularly this scroll. Posting is free but be willing to have the other scribes preuse your work and question you as well as make suggestions. Ah... Candlekeep. Home of the Loremasters.

Tethtoril

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  21:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In their travels The group of adventurers whom I chronicle have had come into their posession an item osf some power. THe details of the adventure that led them to posess such a fierce artifact are liekly best left unsaifd here, but it falls upon me to bring it to the halls of candlekeep to catalog it's abilities, history, and perhpas lock it away from hands that might use it to perform great evil.

Flesh Reaver

This massive weapon has a jagged, unwholesome appearence. Though almost a third again as large as a greataxe, the blade is of a single piece, not double bitted. Constructed of black adamantine, intermixed with sworls of a reddish metal, it appears to be alive with flame. However, when the word for "flame" is spoken in orcish it does actually burst forth in a crimson fire, alternating with flickers of a dark smoky substance like wisps of cinder, or blood quickly turned to steam.

It's edge is unnaturrally keen, far beyond even the ability of adamantine to hold an edge. Whenever it scores a particularly vicious blow in battle it flares with a burst of black flame, wreathing it's target for the briefest of moments.

This weapon was constructed by the Daemonfey for the leader of their Tanarukk troops, a particularly bloodthirsty beast named Redeye Firefang, in the orcish tongue, or more simply "Fleshreaver" in the elven tongue. It was carried for many years by the beast, until his kind scattered into the countryside with the fall and imprisonment of their Fey'ri masters. Passed from his hands down the line of succession to whatever of his progeny could wrest it's posession from the hands of it's former owner.

In recent years, as the tanarukk have spread throughout the spine of the world mountains, strengthening the blood of their mountain bred kin, the original tribe of Tanarrukk were captured by the cult of the riven eye, and bound by dark magics to do their bidding. After use as shock troops decimated their numbers into nigh extinction, the axe came into posession of a fierce brute known as "The Fist" for his oversized clawed right hand.

The creature worshipped by the cultists revealed a ritual enabling them to imbue a significgant amount of power into the being, forever imbuing him with the power of chaos. After the orgy of destruction that followed his assent to a form resembling more demon than orc, not one of his brethren were left, and several dozen cultists lie dead.

Alternately revered and feared by the cultists this creature was succesfully dominated, and armored with a layer of adamantine plates, fashioned into jagged edges. He was also bound in two massive bracers, weighing almost ten pounds of mithral, and a collar close to the same weight as the manacles combined, of adamantite. Using chains of the same dark metal to bind the beast, he was unleashed at times to vent his fury upon the foes foolish enough to not flee from him, always reigned in with a spell when his use was over.

This fearsome weapon functiuons as a +3 Keen Flaming Burst Orcish Cleaver(*) in the hands of any able to wield it. However, in the Hands of an orc or half orc the spirit of the original wielder manifests. It is then a semi sentient weapon that urges it's wielder on to acts of destruction, and imparts the secrets of a scred rite, resembling the Ancestral Relic feat, and in the hands of that wielder it may have it's most powerful abilities coaxed from the blade.

When it has been used to slay at least a dozen opponents of CR no less than the ecl of the current wielder -2, it can be fed a sacrifice of valuables amounting to the following values to unlock the following abilities from the table below.

Total Sacrificed Ability of the weapon
26,000 gp +4 Keen Flaming Burst
56,000 gp +4 Keen Inferno Strike(**), Flaming Burst
90,000 gp +5 Keen Inferno Strike, Flaming Burst
128,000 gp +5 Keen Hellfire Burst(***)

It's wielder may also acquire the Half Fiend Template over the course of four levels, as the spirit of it's first great owner manifests in the body of it's new wielder, caltering him to be a a champion of the forces of Chaos.

Strong Evocation, Moderate Evil, Strong Chaos; Caster Level 17.

(*) Exotic Two Handed 1d12 x4 35 pounds, 20 gp
(**)+1d6 fire damage, stacks with Flaming
(***)Adds +2d6 Fire damage per attack, on a critical adds +2d10, +4d10 if x3, +6d10 if x4

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.

Edited by - Capn Charlie on 04 Sep 2004 13:01:18
Go to Top of Page

Yoshimo
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  21:13:50  Show Profile  Visit Yoshimo's Homepage Send Yoshimo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's some weapon to be wielding there...

May the light of Selune light your path and Olidammara guide your footsteps ~Shadow Thief Motto
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2004 :  22:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, it is at that. You don't even want to see the stats of the thing whose cold dead hands they pried this thing out of.

Fist Of Chaos CR 17
Half Fiend(Fell Demon(*)) Orc Ftr 4/Barbarian5/Frenzied Berserker5.

It looked kind of like this...

Str 34 (44 in rage and frenzy)
Dex 12
Con 20 (24 in Rage)
Int 6
Wis 6
Cha 6

AC: 29(23 when Raging/Frenzied)
HP: 157( 185 in rage)
DR: 3/-, 10/Magic
SR: 24

Attacks
+30/+25/+20 1d12 +23 +1d6 Fire(+3d10 on Crit) 18-20 x4
Frenzied
+35/+35/+30/+25 1d12 +30 +1d6 Fire(+3d10 on Crit)18-20 x4
Power Attacking
+21/+21/+16/+11 1d12 +72 +1d6 Fire(+3d10 on Crit) 18-20 x4

Fort: +20(+22 in rage)
Ref: +7
Will: +4(+6 in rage)

Skills:
+15 Intimidate(+36 if in frenzy, and using power to intimidate)
+18(+23 in frenzy) Jump

Feats: Destructive Rage(1), Intimidating Rage(3), Power Attack(6) ImprovedCritical(9), Weapon Specialization(12) Cleave(F1), Great Cleave(F2), Weapon Focus (F3)

Special Qualities: Improved Uncanny Dodge, Trap Sense +1, Rage 2/Day(10rds), Improved Power attack(+3/-1), Frenzy 3/Day(+6 str, 2 nonlethal damage per round, 10 Rds), Deathless Frenzy(does not die untoil frenzy ends), Diehard, Supreme Cleave(a Five Foot step between Cleaves).

Posessions: Flesh Reaver, +3 Spiked Adamantine Full Plate, Collar of Resistance +3, Shackles of the Beast(+4 str when the chains are removed), Nose Ring of Protection +3

(*) Half Fiend(fell Demon) Descended from the mixing of a mortal and a Fell Demon, a veritable juggernauught of destruction.

+8str, +4 Con
2Claw Attacks 1d6
Bite Attack 1d4
Spell Resistance Hd + 10
Dark Visionm, Immune To poisen, DR 10/Magic, Resistance to Fire 20, Acid 10, Cold 10
Healing Flames as a bonus Feat
Natural Armor +4

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.

Edited by - Capn Charlie on 08 Jun 2004 22:11:16
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2004 :  10:25:29  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Capn Charlie, your Flesh Reaver sounds very familiar. Where did the idea for this magic item come from?

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2004 :  08:36:35  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, nowhere in particular. The orcish cleaver is just a weapon I put in my game because I thought orcs and halforcs deserved a decent racial weapon. In fact, all orcs abnd halforcs wit hat least 14 strength are proficient with this weapon in my games, instead of the orc double axe. THe rationalization behind the orc double axe(one blade good, two blades better) just didn't seem to fit with the way I view orcs. I like them having the outlook of "Big axe good, bigger axe better".

I don't think I got the inspiration for the history and properties of the axe from anywhere, really. THey just seemed "right" for what the axes owner and previous owners would have. I also knew it would be a great thing for the half orc barbarian to have, he has been a little ignored plot-wise lately, so discovering the history and properties of the axe will give him some time in the spotlight for a bit, as well as thrill teh heck out of him, seeing as the properties are right up his alley.

The ability for the axe to be "upgraded" is a total ripoff of the Ancestral Relic feat from the BOED, though. I just love that thing so much I have been using it for all kinds of things lately.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2004 :  06:41:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

This +7 everbright suit of Scale-ring armor[...]

Just a note: if it has a +7 enhancement bonus, it's an epic item. Is that what you were wanting?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2004 :  06:46:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shock
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: One humanoid
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes

With a successful melee touch attack, the target is hit with a jolt of static electricity, dealing 1d4 points of nonlethal electricity damage. In addition, the target is off-balance for one round if it fails its save, effectively becoming flat-footed for the duration. Characters with Uncanny Dodge have a +2 bonus on saves against this spell.

Note: The nonlethal damage is electricity-based, and must remain electrical in nature for the second half of the spell to take affect.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2004 :  06:48:33  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one is intended to be, essentially, a way for ordinary characters to have something like a mage duel.

Nonlethal Weapon
Transmutation
Level: Pal 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 round/weapon (see text)
Target: 1 weapon + 1/level
Duration: 1 hour + 10 minutes/level (D)
Saving Throw: No (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

This spell turns any one weapon (or fifty projectiles) into a nonlethal weapon, with an additional weapon being enchanted for each caster level. All damage dealt by the affected weapon becomes nonlethal, including any magical attacks it may possess (should they deal damage), and all damage is divided in half after it is rolled.

This spell is primarily used in combat training and duels. Each weapon feels exactly the same to any user, including passing through flesh if the hit is strong enough, but will leave no marks or injuries. A weapon so affect cannot be used to deal anything but nonlethal damage, and so cannot be used for sundering attacks or against undead.

Even if the caster cannot cast illusion spells, he or she has the option of marking affected weapons with a glow, which begins fading at the end of the spell over the course of the final five rounds. This glow can be of any color for each individual weapon, and leaves a glow for one round on the target after a successful hit for the purposes of scoring.

Focus: weapons to be affected.

Go to Top of Page

Rucka
Acolyte

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2004 :  19:49:18  Show Profile  Visit Rucka's Homepage Send Rucka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, I like the Nonlethal Weapon spell, but it strikes me as incredibly powerful if used for more nefarious purposes--unless I'm misreading this, a wizard could render an opponent's weapon essentially "safe"--especially since the weapon receives no save.

Not sure you considered this or not, but with a little sneaking, someone could be in for a nasty surprise in their next fight.
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  10:53:07  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And yet again, few items and scrolls I have collected...

Staff of the Icelord
This black staff is decorated with icy blue flames and a shimmering saphire at the top.
While casting a spell, the staff's owner can employ the following ability by lengthening the spell to a full round action:
- The metamagic feat Elemental Substitution: Cold is applied to the spell
- Spells with the [Cold] descriptor (including those resulting from the substitution effect) are cast at +2 caster level. This bonus may exceed a spells normal damage limit.

Spells which cannot be altered by the Elemental Substitution feat are unaffected by the powers of this staff.

Staff of the Oceanlord
This seaweed-covered blue and green staff is decorated with a single shimmering blue diamond at the top.
While casting a spell, the staff's owner can employ the following ability by lengthening the spell to a full round action:
- Spells involving water or similar liquids (including summoning of aquatic creatures or water elementals) are cast at +2 caster level. This bonus may exceed a spells normal damage limit. For example, for spells like Control Water or Summon Nature's Ally VI used to summon a water elemental, the effective caster level is increased by 2.
- The saving throw DC of water-related spells is increased by 1

Staff of the Stonelord
This simple dark grey staff is decorated with a simple, fistsized piece of granite at the top.
- Spells involving rock, stone or similar material (including summoning of underground creatures or earth elementals) are cast at +2 caster level. This bonus may exceed a spells normal improvement-by-level limit. For example, for spells like Stoneskin, Earthquake or Transmute Rock to Mud, the effective caster level is increased by 2.
- The saving throw DC of stone-related spells is increased by 1

Staff of Telekinetic Might
This undecorated quarterstaff is made out of dark oakwood, and can only be used by a wizard or sorcerer able to cast Telekinesis. The staff draws from the power of its wielder, draining one 5th level spell slot to power itself.
The Staff of Telekinetic Might bestows the following abilities onto its wielder:
- He can perform a melee attack with the staff as if he had a strength score of 18, with a reach of 30 ft. The staff counts als magic weapon for the purpose of penetrating damage reduction and the attack is considered a force effect.
- He can cast Telekinesis at will, using his own caster level.

Now, for scrolls...

Ice Comet
Transmutation [Cold]
Level: Dru 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 60 ft. burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
You freeze water out of the air, creating a mass of swirling ice crashing down on your target, causing 1d6 of bludgeoning damage and 1d6 of cold damage for every two caster levels, to a maximum of 10d6 cold and 10d6 bludgeoning damage. Creatures normally immune to cold spells still take bludgeoning damage from the impact.
The comet needs to fall at least 40 ft. before it can do any damage, and you need to have a line of sight to the point of its creation.

Numbing Cold
Transmutation [Cold]
Level: Dru 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Target: 1 living creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
The target is surrounded by numbing cold, paralyzing most of its muscles. It effectively drops to the ground, utterly unable to do any muscle-requiring action except slow and weak breathing. Not even talking is possible. The target must have muscles in order for this spell to work.

On yet an unrelated note, it seems that my previously posted items have disappeared from Alaundos library... And the Dead Man Floating spells have a most peculiar misspelling :)

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Tethtoril
Seeker

95 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2004 :  15:03:49  Show Profile  Visit Tethtoril's Homepage Send Tethtoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr
On yet an unrelated note, it seems that my previously posted items have disappeared from Alaundos library... And the Dead Man Floating spells have a most peculiar misspelling :)

Hmmm, I shall go over the scrolls and examine them in depth. This should not be so ...
I wonder if I accidentally spilled some ink while working on them. I am glad I scribed several copies ...

Apologies in advance Darkheyr. I will make sure this is corrected for next update (sooner if possible). Please have patience as the display master is away at this time and I do not have the keys to all the vaults or displays.

Tethtoril

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Tethtoril on 18 Jun 2004 15:08:17
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  08:13:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkheyr
Staff of Telekinetic Might
This undecorated quarterstaff is made out of dark oakwood, and can only be used by a wizard or sorcerer able to cast Telekinesis. The staff draws from the power of its wielder, draining one 5th level spell slot to power itself.
The Staff of Telekinetic Might bestows the following abilities onto its wielder:
- He can perform a melee attack with the staff as if he had a strength score of 18, with a reach of 30 ft. The staff counts als magic weapon for the purpose of penetrating damage reduction and the attack is considered a force effect.
- He can cast Telekinesis at will, using his own caster level.

I'd like to see the psionic alternative to this staff, if you're willing? If not, just let me know and I'll see what I can some up with.

Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2004 :  19:45:47  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, psionics aren't exactly my forte... But I'd imagine requiring a telekinesis power and draining an appropriate amount of power points would be appropriate. For balancing the exact requirements I really lack the knowledge of psions.

And no apologies needed Tehtoril, I shall patiently wait and thank you for your quick reply.

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World

Edited by - Darkheyr on 21 Jun 2004 19:49:34
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  00:57:26  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thunderom (CL 16)
+5 shocking burst greataxe
-lightning bolt 3/day
-chain lightning 1/day
-electricity resistance 30
-absorbs electricity damage up to 30 hp over max... absorbtion beyond 30 hp above max deals damage

Crafted by the combined efforts of arcane and divine power, Thunderom was wielded by the dwarf Harrish Hammerfell until his retirement from adventuring. When a younger group of adventurers, the Company of Grimstead, began accepting the burdens of Harrish's group, the axe was gifted to the warrior of the Company.

The Fist of Righteousness (CL 22)
+4 cold forged holy ghost touch heavy mace
-casts greater dispelling 6/day on successful attack
-casts banishment 6/day on successful attack
-casts true ressurection 2/week

The Fist was crafted in a distant palace on the Elemental Plane of Air by an ancient race of forgotten elemental beings. Much like Thunderom, the Fist was among the items passed down to the members of the Company of Grimstead. The mace is currently wielded by a cleric of Mystra who commands spellfire.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 22 Jun 2004 00:57:59
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  08:47:22  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm
Just a note: if it has a +7 enhancement bonus, it's an epic item. Is that what you were wanting?

Aye Bookwyrm, 'tis indeed intended to be an epic item. Tal's forged many a suit of armor, but this one always seemed to be his favorite. (Yes yes, epic of course, he was closer to 30th lvl than 20th lvl at the time he wore it).

Also Bookwyrm, I read over yer Nonlethal Weapon spell, and I was jus' wonderin' what made ye decide to give it to Wiz/Sor? Methinks clerics would be a mite more fittin'?

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2004 :  11:13:16  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I'd like to see the psionic alternative to this staff, if you're willing? If not, just let me know and I'll see what I can some up with.

Check your notes my love . I remember that you detailed a similar magic item that was to be part of the 1st Magic Shop Anniversary package (that you never got around to posting...).

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2004 :  10:42:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, of course. I should have added a cleric option to that spell. I'm afraid I'm a bit partial to wizards, and only thought of the paladin because of their focus on war.

Sometime I'll get around to updating it with the suggestions I've been given, here and elsewhere. Hopefully soon, but I want a better handle on ways it can be used first.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2004 :  06:16:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Check your notes my love . I remember that you detailed a similar magic item that was to be part of the 1st Magic Shop Anniversary package (that you never got around to posting...).

Are you trying to tell me something...?

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2004 :  14:11:47  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes...

On a slightly related note, does anyone have any interesting psionically based items that they'd like to post? I'm presently setting up for my Eberron campaign, and since one of the PCs will be from Sarlona, it would be nice to have some items for the character to choose from...

Go to Top of Page

Urlithani
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2004 :  05:11:59  Show Profile  Visit Urlithani's Homepage Send Urlithani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's only proper I start off my contribution with items of(who else!?), Selūne!!

I only read a couple pages so forgive any similarities to any other item because it will be done so unknowingly.

Wind, Stars, and Moon

Background: Talrena Wainlyr, cleric of Selūne, was on a quest when she fell from a mountain path and became seperated from her companions. Falling into the mountain mists below, she was declared lost by her mournful companions as they were pressed for time. Luckily for Talrena, she was found and recovered by a scouting party of Avariels. Loathe to take on outsiders, she was nonetheless reluctantly taken in and given quarter by the order of the Sacred Wing, Lurethaan Fyl'asir, High Priest of Aerdrie Faenya. Grateful to be rescued, Talrena approached Lurethaan before the altar of Aerdrie to give him thanks. Lurethaan told her that their meeting was not an accident. He received a vision of her coming, and that together the Avariel of his clan would depend on them both. That night they prayed together to both Aerdrie and Selūne under the open sky for the coming troubles. Soon after, a wizard known only as Shadowclaw came in the night for the Avariel. Seeking their blood and feathers for vile rituals, he had devised a way to control perytons, and with this flock he unleashed them upon the winged children of Corellon. While the soldiers of the elves battled the perytons, Talrena and Lurethaan stood before the temple steps of Aerdrie against Shadowclaw himself. Thwarting his plans of harvesting the innocents sheltered within while the perytons engaged the soldiery, together they were able to defeat Shadowclaw, but at the cost of Lurethaan's life. At the end of his funeral procession, silver flames consumed his pyre, and all that remained was a silver, 3 headed flail. Talrena received this as a debt of gratitude from the Avariel, and left for further adventures in the Moonmaiden's name. The weapon was looked upon by others over the ages, but its location was lost when Talrena ventured into parts unknown, never to return.

Description: The Wind, Stars, and Moon is a Flail made of a metal that by appearance resembles polished silver that never tarnishes, yet behaves like steel in hardness and durability. Starting at the top of the shaft and leading three-quarters of the way down to the grip is etched an image of a robed figure laid low by two people standing on the steps of a mountaintop temple. Lines lead from the full moon overhead, depicting rays of moonlight blessing all below.

In the last quarter of the shaft, between the bottom of this etched image and before the grip, are etched the elven language, which reads: "May the light of the moon and the winds on high forever stand together against the wicked."

The grip is smoothly ridged, resembling a fluffy cloud, and the pommel carries a moonstone held in place by two perpendicularly crossed crescent moons.

The three flail heads are one crescent moon, one 10 pointed star, and one fluffy cloud.

Abilities: The Wind, Stars and Moon is a +1 Flail, yet due to its balance it can be used as if it were a light mace by anyone who is proficient with that weapon.

Each of the flail heads holds within it a special power that may be unleashed when a natural 20 is rolled(It is important to note that this occurs when a 20 is rolled, NOT a critical threat/hit). When this happens, roll a 1d3 to see which head unleashes its power:

Cloud: The target is hit by the spell Calm Emotions. The duration of this effect lasts for 5 rounds, and affects only the target(Will save DC 14, caster level 5).

Stars: The target is outlined in silver faerie fire for 5 minutes, as the spell(no save). If evil or undead, the target also suffers an additional 1d6 points of damage. If the target can be affected by critical hits(regardless of alignment), it is an automatic critical(no need to roll for confirmation).

Moon: The target is struck by a targeted dispel magic spell(Caster level 10).

Once per day, Wind, Stars, and Moon can cast a heightened Moonbeam from the top of the shaft. The spell is heightened to 4th level(Remember, Moonbeam penetrates all darkness equal level or lower...which is why it's heightened), and cast at caster level 7.

Once per day, Wind, Stars, and Moon can cast gust of wind at caster level 7.

Special: Wind, Stars, and Moon functions as a +2 weapon in the hands of a Cleric of Selūne or Aerdrie Faenya, and counts as a Moon's Hand weapon for the purposes of Silverstars of Selūne.

Biggest. Selƻne. Fanboy. Ever! :)
"The only reward of Virtue is Virtue." -Ralph Waldo Emerson
"The time is always right to do what is right. "
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2004 :  04:27:23  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure exactly how to do this but this is supposed to be a magical property that you can use with the 'create magical arms and armor' feat or just to buy a weapon with this property.

Thunder Clap
A weapon with this property can unleash shockwave of sonic damage (exactly like the Bards spell Greater Shout except effects a full radius instead of just a cone, also includes chance of stun and deafness same as the spell). This requires a full round action and incurs attacks of opportunity as the weilder has to slam his/her weapon against the ground. This ability can only be used once every 12 hours. Opponents may make Fortitude saving throws same as they would against the Greater Shout spell. May only be applied to melee weapons that do bludgeoning damage.

Moderate Evocation; CL 8; Craft Magic Arms and Armor; Greater Shout; Price +2 bonus

quote:
PHB: p279
Shout, Greater
Evocation [Sonic]
Level: Brd 6, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V, S, F
Range: 60ft
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial or Reflex negates (object); see text

This spell functions like shout,except that the cone deals 10d6 points of sonic damage (or 1d6 points of sonic damage per caster level, maximum 20d6, against exposed brittle or crystaline objects or crystaline creatures). It also causes creatures to be stunned for 1 round or deafened for 4d6 rounds. A creature in the area of the cone can negate the stunning and halve both the damage and the duration of the deafness with a successful Fortitude save. A creature holding vulnerable objects can attempt a Reflex save to negate the damage to those objects.
Arcane focus: A small metal or ivory horn.

Thats just for anyone who doesn't have the PHB or doesn't want to take the time to look it up

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU

Edited by - Wood Elf Ranger on 06 Aug 2004 04:44:57
Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2004 :  03:47:50  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I'm pretty new here, but I thought I'd submit a trio of spells I recently created for my campaign, complete with relevent information about their creation.

Someone told me that there was a 2nd edition version of spell very similar to this one, though I was unaware of that when I was creating this. Anyway, this spell was created in the year 1352 when a merchant accidentally transported a virulent spreading vine to the farm land around the town of Wizard's Cut (homebrew town) in the Silver Marches. The elven wizard that gave the town it's most notable feature and thus it's name, Luene Veildreis, created this spell with the help of a the local prietess of Chauntea and a druid that lived in the surrounding wood to remove the vine before it choked the life from the land.

Weed
Necromancy
Level: Clr1, Drd 0, Sor/Wiz1
Components: S, V
Casting Time: One standard action or, varies; see text
Area: 10sq feet or touch
Target: All plants touched and designated undesireable during the casting of the spell or one plant creature touched
Saving Throw: None or Fortitude for half; see text

This spell removes all plants in the spell's area touched by the caster and designated undesireable (i.e. weeds.) Trees and other similar large plants are unaffected by this spell, they are simply to large, but small saplings, usually those six inches or less in height, or less than a year old, are affected. The casting time of the spell encompasses the touching of the target plants, so depending on how many plants there are in the area, and how thorough the caster wants to be it can take varying amounts of time to cast. Plants with extensive root systems, like many vines and ground covers need only be designated once, however the spell will not extend beyond its area to kill parts of the same plant that are outside of it, even if they are connected to a designated plant. This spell does not prevent plants from growing back from other sources at a later date. The spell's area is maleable, so it can take any shape, so long as it does not exceed ten square feet. Plants affected by this spell are instantly decayed and recycled back into the soil.

Alternately, this spell can be used in combat against creatures with the plant subtype. If used in this way the caster must make a successful touch attack against the target creature to diliver the spell. If the touch attack succeeds the plant creature takes 1d4 damaged (fortitude save for half.) If cast on something other than a plant, or a creature without the plant subtype the spell fizzles.

This second spell was created about thirty years ago by a wizardess that married a tiefling rogue and bore him three children (the middle child died a few days after birth.) Knowing that her two sons would face trouble growing up because of their heritage she created a spell to hide their blood and make them seem fully human. Usually she cast this spell at night as she was putting her sons to bed, weaving the verbal component into a lullaby and giving them the material component as part of a concoction of 'medicine.' When she died after being run over by a runaway horse when her eldest son was thirteen allher good intentions backfired. The long-suppressed infernal blood in her two sons manifested over the course of a week in a painful process that left them both with bone-colored horns sweeping back from their temples. Needless to say, both boys were run out of their small northern town as soon as the citizens discovered what they were.

Control the Blood
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz2
Components: V, M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 10 ft
Target: One creature of mixed blood
Duration: 1 day + 1 day per level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)

The subject, who may be of any mixed blood race (for example a planetouched, half-elf, half-orc) is altered to look and seem like a full fledged memeber of one of their parent races. A half-orc, for example, could be altered to seem fully orcish or fully human. The half-orc would still be considered a half-orc for the purposes of abilities and would still be subject to all effects that a half-orc would be (for example bane weapons) but he wouldn't *look* like a half-orc or be detected by as a half-orc by divintions that detect such things. Planetouched races are limited to the form of their human ancestor though, and cannot take the form of a full-blooded devil, celestial or elemental.

This spell functions much like disguise self, except that it results in an actual, though very superficial, physical transformation and is limited to changing the subject to look like a member of one of it's parent races. If the subject's parents are both from the same mixed blood race the subject can look like one of their full-blooded ancestors (for example the child of two half-elves could appear either fully elven or fully human.)

Material Component: A drop of blood from a member of the race the subject will be imitating. The blood need not be given willingly, but the person from whom the blood is taken must be alive for the spell to work.

This last spell was created by Vorek Maelstrum, the elder of the two tiefling sons of the creator of Control the Blood. The tiefling side of his blood was afflicted by a strange malady (essentially a genetic disease) that manifested itself every once and while down through the generations of his family. His middle brother died of it as few days after his birth, and his own daughter, Mira, was afflicted by a less virulent form of the disease. Vorek created this spell to cure his daughter where the priests of many different temples had failed.

Heal the Blood
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: S,M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Target: One creature
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)

The subject of this spell is cured of al inherited diseases and deformaties that in modern terms be considered genetic in origin, like cerebral palsy or club foot, for example. This spell cannot cure acquired diseases and infections, and it can't fix defomaties that are acquired after birth, like the loss of a limb or the like.

Material component: The crushed remains of one ruby worth at least 50 gp and one drop of blood from each of the subject's parents, or, if the subject's parents are unavailable, from a memeber of each of the subject's parent's races, one male and the other female will suffice. For example, a drop of blood each from an elven woman and a human male for the half-elven child of a elven mother and a human father will be sufficient for the casting of this spell. If the blood must come from people who are not the parents of the subject, there is a 50% chance the spell will not work on that casting, though the caster may try again with new materials. The material components are drunk by the subject of the spell, usually in water or wine.

And as a little tidbit, I presnt to you a few basic stats on Vorek: Vorek Maelstrum, CN tiefling male Wizard 9

Hope you enjoy. Any critiques are welcome, since these are the first three spells I've ever created.

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2004 :  04:36:22  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moon Armor
This armor is a treated Mithral Chain set of armor. It is extremely lightweight and feels like a silky soft shirt when worn. It is soft purple in color and almost looks ethereal especially in moonlight.
Armor Bonus: +4 (for a total of +8 to AC)
Speed: 30ft normal, 20ft small
Arcane spell failure: 10%, none for moon-like spells (DM's discretion)
Max Dex bonus: +8 in moonlight, +6 otherwise
Armor check penalty: none
Light Armor
Weight: 8 lbs

Moderate Transmutation; CL: 9th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, creator must be a Cleric with the Moon domain; Ethereal Jaunt; Price 26,100; Cost 13,050 + 1,044 XP

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU

Edited by - Wood Elf Ranger on 09 Aug 2004 04:47:49
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2004 :  23:06:53  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would anybody mind if I took the spells from this thread and put them in my compilation "Karesch's giant book of spells"??? I'm working to make a compliation work of every spell I can find, and put it in a single tome of reference, and I'd like to include the spells I'm finding within this thread. I hope that's not opposed.

K

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  13:49:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might be best to personally ask those scribes whose spells you intend to copy, Karesch.

If any of mine are on that list, let me know...

Go to Top of Page

The Blue Sorceress
Learned Scribe

107 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  21:34:57  Show Profile  Visit The Blue Sorceress's Homepage Send The Blue Sorceress a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karesch, you can use my spells if you like, so long as you give me credit for them. They're of limited use, but I'd be honored.

Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely.

I see your walrus and raise you a carpenter
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2004 :  22:49:31  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I intended to credit each and every spell, even if I'm the one who's going to read the credits over and over. It's not something I'm publishing, or trying to sell, It's just going to be a personal reference book. I've pondered the idea of if any CK scribes were interested in it, I may share it with them for their own use, but in the short term, it's meant for my own use. I just tire of looking through a hundred sources to see what spells are available to me. But anyhow, Sage, I thank thee for thy advice in contacting individual scribes first, And Blue Sorceress, I thank thee for thy consent already.

K

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000