Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2003 :  07:53:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll wait to hear from you, Sage. I've also got a few other things to supply to your shop.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2003 :  08:03:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Send them over.

By portal preferably. Brax is getting a little jealous that somebody other than him is now contributing to the magic shop, so the less he sees, the better.

Silly dwarf

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2003 :  08:07:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also I forgot to ask,

Bookwyrm, have you thought of a more definitive name for the Tome of Candlekeep you presented to me, or are you happy with the title. I am just curious, because considering what the tome does and what it represents I just thought it should maybe have a more exotic title.

Anyway, I may just be rambling here so thanks anyway for listening.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2003 :  08:08:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, dwarves. Well, there're no better people to be at a forge. But if he gets out of line, just tell him "Do not thou meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2003 :  08:11:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Very funny.

There maybe a problem, though - I think he may have neard what you just said.

Oh well, back to work.

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  02:24:52  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As always impressive work Sage, you have some very nice items for sale. I also find the Items from Bookwyrm quite nice as well (nice work whichever one of you did the Ring of Divine Holiness, I already dropped it into one of my campaigns). Now, I supposed now that your magic shop has become so sucessful, it would be in poor taste for me to open Shadowstar's Artifact Emporium? Ah well...

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  04:23:16  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That one was Sage's -- or maybe his little dwarven helper. If it's mine (or someone else's -- hint hint) it'll say at the end. "This item courtesy of [name]." That sort of thing.

Sage, I didn't notice your question before. If you can think of another name for the item, let me know. I rather like its simple, descriptive name, though. And I'm sure the other scribes have their curiousity piqued. I certainly expect Alaundo's wondering just what it is I've committed him to!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  06:09:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edain Shadowstar said -
quote:
Now, I supposed now that your magic shop has become so sucessful, it would be in poor taste for me to open Shadowstar's Artifact Emporium?
Not at all Edain, I would welcome a fellow proprietor of all things arcane. That was one of the basic reasons I decided upon when I founded the Magic Shop. As I had said to Bookwyrm, it was to encourage others to post fan-created items of their own design, something that doesn't happen alot here at Candlekeep.

Or if you feel it is too much work, just let me know, and I'll clear some other shelves in the shop for your items just like I did for Boowyrm, and you can display them here - with credit to your designs of course.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  06:15:17  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that's a good idea -- have it all in one place. Sure, competition's good for business, but we're not actually running anything. (Too bad. I want that 2 gp royalty! )

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  06:18:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now Bookwyrm, I have a few things to ask about your Tome of Candlekeep before I clear up my analysis of your design.

Basically, I find this portion of the gaming info -
quote:
* For every two level increases that the Tome has been in the character’s possession the character gains a bonus metamagic or item creation feat
is quite an ingenious idea, well thoughout and a good addition to the Tome.

The only real inconsistancy I can see at the moment is this portion of the text -
quote:
The communication feature represents a +20 circumstance bonus on any knowledge check, but it can only be used once per fortnight. Also, it can take up to 1d8 (plus the DC level of the check) hours to receive a reply.
Can you provide a little more explanation on how you expect this to actually work. It will help me with the overall study.

As for the Cobra's Fang everything seems great, except for -
quote:
+2 bonus on search, spot, and listen checks versus reptilian creatures

+2 bonus for a reptilian character to wield
This seems a little overpowered, although others may disagree. I would suggest toning them down to at least +1 bonus.

I'll post more and the complete items later when I have finished my (at work) assignment.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  06:20:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Bookywyrm, it would be nice if others made use of the Shop to sell their wares as well. I think that would be great.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  06:36:09  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Sage, I did send them to you for help in balancing, so if you think it should be +1 on those Cobra's Fang powers, then I'll go with that. I don't know how often reptilian creatures come into adventures, and I don't even know exactly what would be considered reptilian (would draconic creatures be included?) so I gave it +2. Same with the bonus on wielding. I don't think reptilian characters would come to possess it easily, so I figured a bonus would be safe. But again, I'll go with what you said.

As for the Tome . . . Well, the 'communication feature' just means that the owner can ask for help from the people at Candlekeep. It's like the owner's writing a letter, detailing the problem, and waiting for an answer. It gives an automatic +20 circumstance bonus to a knowledge check. This is added to a new check by the character. In this way, a knowledge check can be made again, based on new information.

However, it can only be used once per fortnight. (For those who don't know, that's two weeks. I much prefer weeks to those silly 'tendays'.) It also takes a while for an answer to come back. It takes a number of hours equal to 1d8+DC. So, if the DC level is 25, it can take anywhere from 26 hours to 33. It's a long time, but you always get an answer. However, it doesn't guarantee that the character can use the information (hence the new check). It's more powerful than 'taking 20' on a roll. It should only be used sparingly -- the scribes might get irritated with stupid questions!

If you'd like, you can add in a monetary cost, like having to use special ink (same as with a spellbook) to write out the reply.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  07:56:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good idea Bookwyrm.

A special cost for ink would make it all the more interesting.

Anyway, with the adjustments I suggested, they were only for the purposes of general balance. After all it is your campaign, if you want them at this power, that's your choice.

So, I'll post the items in your (Bookwyrm's) basic set first, then I'll post my suggestions to balance them. Hope that's okay Bookwyrm.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  08:05:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the first of Bookwyrm's creation - unmodified by my suggestions that Bookwyrm asked for.

Cobra’s Fang

Cost: 3,000 gp
Prerequisites: Craft Arms and Armor, Poison
Weight: 1-1 1/2 lbs.
Cost to Create: 2000 gp + 400 XP
Special:
The powers of the Cobra’s Fang are as follows -
  • Enchantment +4; never needs sharpening
  • 40% chance of casting poison on the target, as the spell
  • Can neutralize poison that was injected (not ingested) by heating the blade and cauterizing the wound. This causes 2d8 points of damage. Subject must make a fortitude save (DC 18) or fall unconscious for 1d8 hours
  • +2 bonus on search, spot, and listen checks versus reptilian creatures
  • +2 bonus for a reptilian character to wield
  • Clerics with the scaleykind domain can wield this dagger without penalty; they can use their rebuke/command reptiles ability an extra time per day (as if through a high Charisma modifier) and as a spellcaster of one level higher

Background:
This dagger was bought as a work of art by a wealthy nobleman, who knew nothing of its powers. He merely saw the amazing craftmanship of the blade and desired to have it for his own. It made its way to the Sage of Perth’s shop soon after his accidental death -- by scratching himself with the blade.

Its handle is sculpted in the astonishingly lifelike visage of a cobra, with its head forming the pommel. The snake’s mouth is open, its fangs seeming ready to strike upon the unwary viewer. The handle’s colors are vivid and new-looking, and there is not a mark on the blade.

The Sage of Perth researched this dagger, and traced its origins back to the jungles of Chult centuries before. He found some rumors that there was a twin to the Cobra’s Fang, but found no clues as to its whereabouts. This blade, if it did exist, would have the exact same powers as the first. And, if the two were wielded together, perhaps more

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  08:15:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This next one is also a part of Bookwyrms amazing creations on offer here at the Magic Shop -

Tome of Candlekeep

Cost: 50,000 gp
Prerequisites: ??? (Sage of Perth comment - I am still determining this)
Weight: 1 lbs.
Cost to Create: 28,000 gp + 4000 XP (Sage of Perth comment - I am unsure about this)
Special:
The powers of the Tome of Candlekeep are as follows -

• For amount of knowledge, pick a number of Knowledge skills equal to your Intelligence modifier, if positive (but no less than one). These become class skills. If they were already class skills, then ranks within them gain at a rate of two for every one point placed in it. This is not retroactive. If in the case of the latter the skill points would exceed the maximum allowed for character level, the excess is “saved” for the next level increase
  • All Intelligence-based skills gain at least a +1 bonus on checks. The increase can be greater at the choice of the DM (i.e., if the scribes feel the character should be rewarded in a greater fashion). This is only usable when it is feasible to open a book and look something up. (Combat is not a good choice for this action.) The time it takes to look up information in rounds is equal to 1/10 of the check’s DC
  • The communication feature represents a +20 circumstance bonus on any knowledge check, but it can only be used once per fortnight. Also, it can take up to 1d8 (plus the DC level of the check) hours to receive a reply
  • Studying the Tome for two hours gains the character extra knowledge. This knowledge can be added as a +1 bonus to any Intelligence-based check made within the next week (this can be added after the roll). A character can “store” as many points as equal his or her Intelligence modifier (if positive). These points can stack. A week of not exercising this knowledge means loss of the extra point. If the character’s Intelligence modifier is less than 1, this bonus is not possible
  • There is no increase to the character’s mental abilities. All bonuses are dependant on having the Tome close at hand. Not spending four hours studying the Tome within one day after a level increase forfeits the x2 skill increment bonus for that level. Any excess points from the previous level (see paragraph 1 of this section) are inaccessible until this is done, and if studying is not completed within the time limit they are lost. Keep in mind that using the Tome for the general +1 (or greater) Intelligence-based bonus is dependant on being able to read the book at the time

In addition to knowledge-based bonuses, there may be other benefits to having this Tome, based on the DM’s choice. Examples of this might be:

* The Tome counts as a holy symbol for a cleric of Oghma.

* For a wizard who follows a studious-type deity (Oghma, Deneir, Mystra), studying this book for two hours per week will cut spell-studying time in half for the next week. This study time is in addition to that required for other bonuses.

* For a wizard or divine spellcaster who follows a studious-type deity (Oghma, Deneir, Mystra), studying this book for four hours within a day after a level increase will gain an extra spell slot at any level bellow the highest level the character can cast. (Treat as though gained through a high ability score.) This study time is in addition to that required for other bonuses.

* For every two level increases that the Tome has been in the character’s possession the character gains a bonus metamagic or item creation feat.

Background:
This magical volume appears to be a simple book, well made but small and seemingly of few pages. However, this book, which contains many more pages than the eye would suggest, is magically linked to the famous library of the Realms: namely, Candlekeep.

The Tome is a rare gift of the scribes of Candlekeep, given only to nonevil characters who have either done the Library a service or are promising (or already famous) scholars who have impressed themselves upon the scribes. It is linked to several volumes of information on the shelves there, and all that the user has to do is page through the Tome to find uncommon bits of knowledge.

There are limits, however. Each Tome is unique and custom-made to the recipient, and so will be linked to certain books only. Also, the depth of knowledge (its obscurity, value, etc.) will be dependant on the scribes’ estimate of the character’s worth.

The Tome may only be used when it is possible to study a book for answers. There is a blank page at the end of the book, which can be used to request information of the scribes at Candlekeep. This can take a great deal of time to be answered, however, and should only be used in cases of importance at any rate. Information received in this manner remains in the book; there is always a blank area at the end.

If a Tome is found, it is of great value to any scholar, especially those of evil alignment. Servants of deities such as Cyric or Shar would greatly desire it, especially if it gives uncommon information, as servants of Oghma are reluctant to give such information to them. Market value is to be set by the DM based on the sort of information found within.

If returned to Candlekeep by one who has found it, or to a temple of Oghma or another deity aligned to him, chances are high that a reward shall be given to that character. It may even be that the character will be allowed to keep the book.

If the character does not attempt to do this as soon as possible, however, and is discovered, chances are that servants of Oghma and/or those of deities aligned to him will hunt the character down to prevent possible misuse of the knowledge inside.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  08:18:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will have to delay my suggestions for a few hours, I just got another project at work.

Anyway I made a few suggestions in the previous posts, but I have more. I'll post them when I get time.

Great work again Bookwyrm.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  08:59:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
^_^ Yay! I get my wares displayed in the famous Candlekeep gift shop!

(Heh. I've had this idea of Sage behind a counter with t-shirts that say I <3 Candlekeep!)

quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

After all it is your campaign, if you want them at this power, that's your choice.

Um . . . what made you think I was running a campaign? I'm still trying to figure out how to play! I just created these for fun. You know, get an idea, write, and then send it off. I like doing that sort of thing. Especially if someone wants to use it.

[Bookwyrm sits back and waits for the offers to come in . . . and waits . . . and waits . . . . ]

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  09:06:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Very amusing.

Sorry about mistaking the campaign bit. It's just a natural assumption that most fan-created material gets used in home campaigns.

It's a shame you live so far away. In my current area, we are sorely lacking imaginative magical item creators.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  09:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's a shame you live so far away. In my current area, we are sorely lacking imaginative magical item creators.

Well, if you want a tip, I'll tell you how I started with some of my items. The Tome was a (large, as you can see) outgrowth of the idea of what a knowledge-boosting item would be like. The force whip I just thought was a cool idea.

The sword I sent you last night, the Cobra's Fang dagger, another item I'm working on (soon to come) and my 'bracers of attack and defence' all started as "hey, this would look cool" thoughts. Then I just thought of magical powers that would be a reflection of that image.

Well, the bracers were from a non-D&D story. They were the only ones I've given out on here that weren't originally made for here. I've got some more coming, though, that are from the same story. (I seem to really be cannibalizing this story! I've even given a character of mine, an elven ranger, to Sadon for a story. He's now a vampire. Heh.)

And if you want, you can just email me requests too. (Same for anyone else here.) I can't promise anything concrete, but I will give it a try.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  09:31:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm said -
quote:
...all started as "hey, this would look cool" thoughts...
That's an interesting technique Bookwyrm. And the best one that I can think of. Nothing beats getting a real imaginative idea for a item and then running with it, seeing what bizarre and curious additions you can come up with.

You also said -
quote:
And if you want, you can just email me requests too. (Same for anyone else here.) I can't promise anything concrete, but I will give it a try.
Another great idea.

I think I may have to change the name of the shop to The Sage of Perth and Bookwyrm Pendraconis's Magic Shop.

What do you think?.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  10:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about just "The Shop of the Sages" or something?

Actually, just forget it. I don't mind the current name.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  12:30:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you sure?

I am willing to make the changes if you would like.

It seems only appropriate since you are a contributor to the fine wares for sale in the Shop.

That name is great although I would suggest just a slight alteration, I think "The Magic Shop of the Sages", sounds more appropriate, don't you think.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  12:39:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In another thread I mentioned I was looking for one of my notebooks.

While I was searching I uncovered this little near-forgotten gem, underneath a pile of old and dusty tomes about philosophy, or some such discipline -

Charismatic Friend

Market Price: 2,450 gp
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armour
Damage: 1d4+2
Critical: 19-20/x2
Special:
This dagger is crafted from pure adamantine and as such makes it +2, in addition this gives the dagger a +1 deflection bonus to wielders AC and a +2 enhancement bonus to wielders charisma attribute.

WOW, this is indeed an old find.

What do you think...

Edited by - The Sage on 20 May 2003 14:50:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  12:40:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More items on the way.

They should arrive by mid-to-end-week.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  13:17:25  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you can do what ever you want to your shop. I don't care one way or the other.

Oh, and a cleric of Kelemvor asked me to pass along a certain item to you. Seems he heard about your shop and thought that you'd be a good way to spred knowledge of this new weapon his church is making.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  13:33:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds great.

Send it along, the more the merrier!

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  13:47:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was already sent when I wrote that! I sent it over the Interplanar E-Mail service (E for Ethereal, of course).

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  14:38:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Bookwyrm,

I was talking to someone here when I posted that, so I didn't entirely realise what I was saying.

But I've got all the new stuff you've sent, I'll comment on it when I get a chance to have a better look at it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  14:39:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way,

What did you think of the new dagger I just posted, Bookwyrm.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  14:44:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

By the way,

What did you think of the new dagger I just posted, Bookwyrm.

Well . . . I never thought of a dagger giving an increase to a charisma score. Other than that, the only thing that pops out at me is the price. It's a lot more expensive than my Cobra's Fang!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000