Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  06:42:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, okay then. Well I'll send you out some basic material soon, so that if either you, me, or the number of other players involved, find a nice little place to incorporate this idea of yours, it's just a simple matter to edit the adventure as is.

Anyway, I've retrieved my 'item' notebook, and will soon post these new creations I was talking about previously. Although I now notice that two them require further 'refinement'...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2004 :  02:32:05  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::Eyes scan around the almost empty shop, "Sage, you aren't going out of business, are you? T'would be a truly horrendous day. Perhaps, my little contribution can draw a couple more customers for you."

Ring of Blades
Description: This ring is made of pure platinum. It is just a plain band, but hums with power when held.

Powers: When the proper command word is spoken, any weapon being held by the wearer of this ring gains a special ability (Such as Flaming Burst, Throwing, Brilliant Energy, etc.) Each power has a different command word, which is telepathically communicated to the wearer upon putting on the ring. weapons can hold only one enhancement from the ring, though weapons already enchanted in such a manner can hold a second one from the ring.
Note: If the weapon enchanted by the ring breaks in combat, there is an explosion that does 20d6 to those in the melee combat (No saving throw) Those within a 20 foot radius take 5d6 points of damage (Reflex save for 1/2 damage)
Note: The ring will NOT add bonuses, just special powers.

This ring is all that is left of a once great king's horde of magical weapons. A powerful, bold young mage snuck into the armory, and crafted a magic that was meant to combine all the weapons into a single blade that would smite even a god. It did just that.

Edited by - Icewolf on 13 Mar 2004 03:45:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2004 :  03:18:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icewolf said -
quote:
"Sage, you aren't going out of business, are you? T'would be a truly horrendous day.
I certainly hope not.... I had just assumed that many of my regular customers simply had duties of their own to attend to. I know that Alaundo has, in his near-infinite wisdom, assigned several more tasks to his inner circle of senior scribes, and that could be the reason for the low level of patronage lately...

I know I've been busy...Out of the twelve things that I have to do today, only one of them (finishing Weis's Mistress of Dragons) is the task I'm truly looking forward to. The rest are simply distractions...

Now, onto more pleasant discussion. This new item you've presented Icewolf is very interesting. I've always been a big fan of simple ring magical items, ever since the great proliferation of magical rings during the early 2e days.

I can't really see any issues with it, except for the lack of a price, or at least a creation cost...

Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2004 :  03:49:41  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
I can't really see any issues with it, except for the lack of a price, or at least a creation cost...

Well, that lack of those things, quite frankly is because I haven't figured out how to make one...yet. I'm working on it, but I wanted to post this here now, before other matters make me forget.

(For instance, even now, I'm rolling up my character for Elrond's Play by Messenger.)

I'll edit my above post when I have figured out how to make one.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2004 :  05:50:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's some updates -

Dull the Scimitar
Alteration
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 30 foot radius
Area: All scimitars within radius
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Half
Spell Resistance: No
This spell, developed by the Tsnng for use against the Sis'Mic in battle, causes the minerals found within the blade of a scimitar to lose their cohesive properties, dulling the edge. A successful save by the wielder reduces scimitar damage by one die increment (d8 to d6), while a failed save reduces it by two (d8 to d4). The Tsnng prefer to use this spell at the beginning of battle, and force their enemies to rely on their natural weapons - if any.
Arcane Focus: A piece of steel from a scimitar blade.

A little info on the Tsnng -
quote:
We are born of the fabric structure of reality, energy within stone. We are solid and yet supple, living and yet eternal, we are life, as it is not found in other places. No conglomerates of mineral are we, but whole creatures, and the rightful rulers of the fullest reality imaginable. Therefore, we shall establish ourselves as masters over all in time, with one vision, the vision we discern in the heart of the crystal, in the heart of what we ourselves are. All others possibilities are nothing more than fractured gems, to be swept away and discarded.
- The translation of a Tsnng speech, given before the cabal massacred a group of dwarf miners.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2004 :  05:52:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an interesting magical item, again heavily influenced by the current Tsnng threat in my current PS/FR campaign -

Phase Band
This is a simple item with the purpose of causing any single crystal structure it is fastened to phase out of existence for a moment when the command is spoken, allowing up to six man-sized beings through. In areas of extremely large crystals Tsnng like to use these to create secure alcoves that cannot be raided. They also use them to bypass the single crystal doors, windows, or other adornments some races may use to build. It takes one minute and a hammer and nails to fasten the item to a crystal.
Moderate Transmutation; Wiz 6; Craft Wondrous Item, phase crystal

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2004 :  05:54:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And now for the last...

This next item, although a little over-powered, worked quite well (better than I expected) in my campaign -

Shatter Sphere
These items are outwardly physically identical to wardspheres, and are enchanted to fly about in a similar manner. However, they are little more than mystical bombs. When a Shatter Sphere impacts a crystalline formation it can trigger an explosion identical to a Mineral Blast spell for whatever is above it. Shatter Spheres automatically move to the base of the nearest living creature when given their command word. They otherwise trail circle about their creators at a set distance (10, 20, or 30 feet). A Shatter Sphere can cause one detonation per day.
Moderate Evocation; Wiz 8; Craft Wondrous Item, Levitation, Mineral Blast

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  06:59:45  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where's the mineral blast spell from? I don't believe I've seen it before.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  07:37:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoops...!...Sorry about that.

It's from an old Planescape book. I'll convert the spell fully to 3e and post it here, just as soon as I get some time...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  08:53:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That would be good. I've been on the lookout for a spell of this type so that I could convert a particular item of my brother's into D&D rules. It requires something of explosive force, but the stuff I've seen so far is either two low-level or is a force effect.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  09:33:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 2e Mineral Blast spell has (at least to me) the right level of spell power (again, this is in 2e stats). I can't really see any problems with the conversion.

What type of 'stuff' have you seen so far...? It might help me to gauge the conversion a little better.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  10:00:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I meant that the spell was too low in power for the ability I wanted to bring out of it. Not that the spell was unbalanced.

As for what I've seen, there's an exploding quality you can add to weapons, detailed in Complete Warrior, but its prerequisite spell is shatter. I was thinking of using that, though it doesn't seem to follow. Explosive runes, unfortunately, only affects reading material.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  10:12:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...I haven't reached that part of Complete Warrior yet, but that exploding quality does sound interesting. It's not really relevant here though, at least with what I had in mind when I originally created the Shatter Sphere. I'll look it over anyway, and the explosive runes as well...you never know...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  10:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, quite interesting -- until you notice that everyone in range feels the explosion. Including the weilder. I bet that if anyone puts that quality on a melee weapon, it'll be a DM. Just so he can see the expression on his/her player's face when that spiffy longsword he's just looted from the tomb just gave him 2d8 points of damage . . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  11:57:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm...you could be right about DMs wanting to use that exploding quality. It might be interesting to incorporate it into my 'April Fool's Day' campaign. I'd really like to see the look on the player's face when several 'Red Cream Candy Elementals' are quickly descending around the now-weak members of the party, and the effects of this melee weapon's ability becomes apparent...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  07:23:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's another two special items, for the Lady Kazandra's Icewind Dale campaign -

Enkeddo the Learned
Intelligent Quarterstaff +2
Int 15
Speech, Detect Magic 10’, Detect Secret Doors 5’, Clairvoyance 3/day
Ego 10
Personality 25
Speaks Elven, Dwarven, Koth (disregard this last dialect - campaign based only - DMs can replace it with something of their own choosing)

Enkeddo is a glimmering (thanks to the numerous crystal shards embedded along it's length) green quarterstaff of knowledge and insight. Besides the above abilities, the staff remembers many old tales, and spins fabulous stories of the ancient tribes of the North, and their great battles against the numerous Orc hordes.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  07:29:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the other -

Firebowls
These dishes are usually cast from stone or metal, with a diameter of about 5 inches. A small flame constantly burns within, sufficient to light a pipe, torch, or similar item as a move-equivalent action. Inexpensive and easy to hide, they can prove useful in a surprising number of situations...

Caster Level: 1st; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, presdigitation; Market Price: 450 gp; Weight: --

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  13:08:57  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd thought of putting in a lighter item, but thought it might not go over well.

If it's a "bowl" though, especially one made out of stone (as one material), shouldn't it have a larger weight?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  13:37:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it would, but at the time this was created for the Lady Kazandra's adventure, it really wasn't considered a factor.

Ordinarily, I would say such an bowl could probably weigh around .5 to 1 full lbs, but the fast paced nature of this particular adventure unfortunately forced me to leave certain aspects of some items absent. Besides, most gamers normally assume a basic weight when dealing with item of this nature...

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2004 :  00:51:27  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've long admired the goods available in this shop, but I've never dared introduce any of my own crafted spells or items. It is with great humility and trepidation, therefore, that I introduce this small bit of Art.

Detect Mage
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V,M
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels
Duration: Concentration, up to 5 min/level

Detect Mage is a minor but useful bit of magic. It was developed by the Mage Lords of Terrail(my own developing world, though Terrail itself is only a city) for use by the administrators of the city. As only wizards can become citizens, this spell allows quick and simple testing for arcane magic. When cast, the spell enables the caster to immediately find out if a humanoid has any arcane spells available. This includes remaining spells of sorcerers, as well as a wizard's memorized spells, though it is completely unable to discern divine magic.
Material Component: A bit of hair from an arcane spellcaster

Know Duration
Divination
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Personal
Duration: Special

This spell is the friend of any mage who's had his fly spell fail hundreds of feet above ground, or lost his mage armor in the midst of battle. When cast, Know Duration makes the caster aware of the remaining duration of any spells cast before it was cast. The mage knows exactly how much time his spells have left, and feels them end. Know duration lasts as long as the spells cast before it do, though it does not detect spells of a permenant or instantaneous duration.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2004 :  08:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume that spells cast after know duration don't extend the time it is active, but would it detect them while it is still in play?

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2004 :  12:09:51  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, Bookwyrm, that's the way the spell works. Know Duration lasts as long as the longest-lasting spell cast before it does. Any spells cast afterward are detected, but don't extend the duration.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.

Edited by - Sourcemaster2 on 19 Mar 2004 12:10:30
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2004 :  02:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pledge of the Acolyte

This item is a simple wooden box, on the outside. On the inside, it is covered in Netherese runes.

Powers: The function of this box is simple. You take a piece of a person, such as hair or fingernails, and place it in the box, and close the lid. When you re-open the box, a slight variation of the person's true name is scribed a half dozen times on a number of scrolls. The purpose of these scrolls is that they can cast a variety of charm/suggestion type spells that are impossible to resist, due to the power of a true name. (Add 5 to DC of resist attempt. And, of course, Elves are immune to charm magics.)

Background: The Armored Emporer had this box commisioned to help him control his foes. The mage, a cowardly and cruel man called Esther finished his work nearly a year ahead of his promised delivery date. He used this time to acquire a 'sample' of the Emporer's hair, and used the scrolls to ensnare the one who had commisioned the box.

Contruction: To Be Announced.

Edited by - Icewolf on 30 Mar 2004 14:21:58
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2004 :  17:44:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. Spooky. And perhaps a trifle overpowered?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2004 :  06:28:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed...

It also reminds me of something that I've read about before.

Anyway, the 'true name' aspect of the D&D game is never something that should be handled lightly...even in the manner that you are describing. The very fact that this box allows someone access to a person's true name so easily, makes a mockery of the complete Book of All Names that is said to be in the possession of the Lord of the Ninth Layer of Baator, Asmodeus.

For anyone to even gain access to the information inside of that tome, they must not only descend to the final layer of Nessus (of the Nine Hells), but enter a pit (which leads to the only portal to [and only way to access] Nessus) which is said to contain 1,001 gelugons - all loyal to the King of the Hells. And, that is only the first in a series of progressively more difficult obstacles that one must overcome before reaching Malsheem, the Lord's Fortress.

This item needs to be toned down, just a little...

Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2004 :  14:19:35  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I remember reading about a true name thing somewhere. It was late when I wrote this, and I didn't notice I screwed it up.

And, btw, if you think that's overpowered, you should see the results of my toying around with the NWN toolsets.

Editing now...

Update: Check it out now. That better?

Edited by - Icewolf on 30 Mar 2004 14:26:53
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2004 :  01:22:52  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much better, though I still see room for improvement...

Concerning my own items, I shall be posting a great and ancient artifact of old in my next couple posts. Those who purchased Underdark have undoubtedly heard of the Seven Imaskarcana, tomes of immense power that were crafted by the ancient Imaskari, creators of the Phaerimm. I shall soon post my rendition of the Seventh, last, and most powerful of the Imaskarcana.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  04:21:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Shadowlord I'm glad you brought this up. I recently came across a reference about a rumored Eighth Imaskarcana. I had previously read something about this particular tome before, but had never found any actual official information that supports the claim.

I'll see if I can track down the reference again... It would be a nice addition to your rendition of the Seventh...

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  04:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, I have never heard of an Eighth Imaskarcana. Should you discover anything, please notify me as soon as you can, whether by forums or by etheral mail...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  04:34:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm quite a distance from my books at the moment, so it may be a while...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000