Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  09:10:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One vote!

Haven't been posting much myself . . . I've been busy with work and then also getting Jack Archer developed.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  09:12:46  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent .

Now if a few more could place their vote...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  09:17:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure they'll be along. Once they see that the months-old "Out to Lunch, Be Right Back" sign's been taken down and the merchandise has been dusted off, they'll start opening that door again.

By the way, perhaps you could detail your "Mistress of Daggers" PrC in another thread?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  09:26:20  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I did...I'll have to do a search.

If it doesn't turn up, then yes, I will see about posting it here.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  09:46:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A search only yeilded passing mentions. You've mentioned her enough, though, that I'm interested in hearing what she is.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  09:56:39  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bookwyrm .

I guess I became a little side-tracked reading my copy of Edding's The Elder Gods...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  10:07:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw that. Didn't pick it up, wanting to buy There Will Be Dragons (excellent, though not PG). Perhaps you could let me know your impressions of it?

But much as I feel everyone should read Eddings's books, I have this little prickly feeling between my shoulder blades that suggests Alaundo's about to say something to us about off-topicness. Perhpas you could send me an email? ( You owe me one on the subject of Jack Archer, anyway. )

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2883 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  10:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be interested, Sage. I'd contribute something, but I'm way too busy on Aslari...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  10:21:06  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great to hear Arivia, thanks.

Remember, if you want to see something specific created, just leave a little note in the 'Suggestions' box that is hanging on Brax's bedrooom door. I'm sure he let me know one way or the other...

Bookwyrm, as soon as I finish it, I'll send you an email with my thoughts on the book, okay?.

Regarding Jack Archer...this is something I keep meaning to get to, one of these days...I really do apologise for any anger or anxiety you may have been feeling over my lack of a response, but as I have said before, I have been extraordinarily busy these last few weeks, and with exams coming up, my free-time is about to become 'occupied-time' .

Anyway, I'll see about sending you back some notes I have made next week. Now, I had better stop rambling...I'm still recovering from the ill-effects of Alaundo's Staff of the Irritated Moderator +2 .

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  10:46:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage  Click to see Lord Rad's MSN Messenger address Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another vote from me, Sage! About time you got this place opened up again!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  10:50:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I saw that. Didn't pick it up, wanting to buy There Will Be Dragons (excellent, though not PG). Perhaps you could let me know your impressions of it?

But much as I feel everyone should read Eddings's books, I have this little prickly feeling between my shoulder blades that suggests Alaundo's about to say something to us about off-topicness. Perhpas you could send me an email? ( You owe me one on the subject of Jack Archer, anyway. )

Well met

Hmmmm, speak of yet more tomes seem be make it into Candlekeep which are not of this world Woe be tide if I see any such works lying around unattended

::removes Staff of the Irritated Moderator +3 from beneath his robe and taps it lightly on his hand::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 22 Nov 2003 10:51:36
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  19:29:31  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an item from an adventure I wrote a while back. For the most part, I used some properties mentioned in Magic of Faerun and added some personal flavor.

+1 Granelgeim:

Granelgeim was created long ago by the nearly forgotten sorcerer-warrior, Tynthros. It served him well, even being used at the Battle of Brokenheads. Tynthros lost the blade after being slain by a red wizard named Hozhehkremis who took Granelgeim and sold it in Selgaunt. After passing through various merchants hands it was finally sold to an elven adventurer named Feegh Duthowp. It passed on through the Duthowp line for many generations until it was stolen and taken to the west. What became of the blade then remains unknown.
Granelgeim is a +1 keen spellblade rapier. The wielder is immune to any Dispel Magic spell cast directly on them as the blade absorbs it, allowing it to either fizzle harmlessly or be directed to a new target as a free action. Granelgeim also emits a high pitched, but very quiet "chime" sound when the blade contacts any magical objects.

Caster Level: 13th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, spell turning, keen edge, detect magic; Market Price: 8,320 gp; Cost to Create: 4,320 gp + 320 XP.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  05:46:51  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the vote Rad, I appreciate it . I may need some assistance dusting off some of these items though, it has been a while...

Maecenus, this is certainly an interesting new item. It's seems well balanced, and would hold up well in a lengthy campaign. I'd like to hear a little more about this adventure though...perhaps you could write-up a journal-like entry for the Adventuring section of the library?.

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Nov 2003 05:52:50
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  05:51:18  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo said -
quote:
::removes Staff of the Irritated Moderator +3 from beneath his robe and taps it lightly on his hand::
+3!!!. It seems as though the Bookwyrm's, and my own 'infrequent' habits of off-topicism have warranted an increase.....

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  07:11:43  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage  Send The Cardinal an AOL message  Send The Cardinal an ICQ Message  Click to see The Cardinal's MSN Messenger address  Send The Cardinal a Yahoo! Message Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I promised you an Item sage and so I will deliver. Although no items are to be used without fore-thought... I present for the intrest of Candlekeep the Staff Of Pious Augustus:

Staff of Pious Augustus
A rather grotesque quarterstaff, made mainly from the 2 human spinal columns artistically woven together. The Headpiece is actually a pelvis of one of the unfortunate humans. While not a very effective weapon, it is the powers that drive people to attempt to uncover. Powers that do not come without a price that some find all too late...

Damage: 1d6+2
Special: Wielder undergoes a permenant change from living to Undeath.
Wielder suffers a -4 to 'to hit' rolls
Cursed- cannot be willingly or unwillingly given away or lost, Wielder becomes extremely possessive of the staff and will not draw any other weapon in battle, and the staff is always carried at the ready. Can only be removed from wielder by an uncurse spell.
User is able to Cast as a level 15 caster:
Summon Monster I 5/day
Summon Monster III 3/week
Summon Monster V 1/week
Lightning Bolt 2/day
Protect from Chaos/Evil 1/day
Magic Weapon 2/day
True Seeing 1/month
Cure Light Wounds 2/day
Magic Circle Chaos/Evil 1/month
Dominate Monster 1/ 2weeks
Dispel Magic 1/week
User must make a will save every two days against Insanity as per a level 15 caster or go insane for a day.
Suffers -4 to all diplomacy checks but gains +4 on intimidate checks
User is Permenantly under Geas/Quest Spell While staff is Wielded
Weight: 8 lbs
Background:
The History of the Staff of Pious Augustus is both unknown and bloody. What is known was that Pious Augustus was a an Elvish fighter in the service of on Daruth Winterwood in ages past. The Staff was Created By Winterwood as he experimented with beings and powers from the Far Realms. One such being (whose name is both unknown and most likely indecipherable) heavily enchanted the staff at the request of Daruth in return for services to be rendered. The unfortuenate Pious was given the staff as a reward for his loyal service. Pious at first disdainful of the ugly staff merely wanted to lock it in his weapon's chest, but upon his hand grasping the staff, Pious under-went a change of heart. Pious became protective of the staff and the main supporter of Daruth's work (some believe however, that the change of heart was an enchantment placed upon the staff by the Far Realm entity). After the disappearence of castle Xaxox, Pious and his enchanted weapon dropped out off the face of the world and so it has been until the discovery of this Staff. Signs of Augustus there are none but an eternal Elvish warrior is the least of concerns.... Voices are heard, whispers carried on the wind that speak of deeds to do and of servitude now inforced... Servitude to something beyond what the boundries of reason and time...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  09:41:37  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only +3? I would have thought Alaundo would have an epic-level staff. +15, perhaps?

Granelgeim sounds very interesting, especially because of my character, Jack Archer. I think that if he found that sword, he'd be torn between it and his own masterwork blade. He's rather attatched to it. (Probably what will happen is he'll -- hopefully -- get enough spare change to get his own rapier permanently enchanted, or he'll take the Craft Magic Weapons and Armor feat to do so himself. Magical rapiers aren't very common in the Realms.)

I forgot to mention some background on the dagger arm-sheaths I posted. They're actually a creation from my brother's first serious story; the main character (a minor elven noble who was a pretty powerful spellcaster and potential Grand Mage) had them; the daggers were enchanted to go through almost any non-magical armor, and would magically return to the sheaths after a full minute from when the owner last touched them.

This was in about 1992 or so. I make a note of this because a famous TV show has something similar. When the first episode of Angel aired a few years back, I'm sure a lot of people watching it gave some form of an "ohmanthatiscool" reaction when the title character whipped out his straped-on stakes. In the case of myself and my brother, though, it was mixed in equal measure with "heytheystolethat!" and "sothat'swhatitlookslike." The motion Angel used was very similar to the flex/twist/throw motion my brother described, even though the stakes don't ever leave the devices. Even the look of them, when he takes them off later, is very similar to the description my brother made.

I created these stats when I stole the idea for my first character, which I made in my time of innocence before I even got my copy of The Player's Handbook. Or rather, I described their function to Mumadar; the actual stats are quite a bit more recent. The character (Kevin Janis, half-elven wizard level-3) has two, a gift from his deceased elven father. They hold his father's first two weapons, a pair of masterwork slivered daggers; as such, they have great sentimental value and are also a great comfort to him as he travels on his own in the world.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  13:01:39  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember that particular episode, mainly because one of my players wished to devise some rules in 2e to emulate that feat. It may also have been because we where adventuring in Barovia, Ravenloft at the time.

Cardinal, I like the Staff, and the Far Realm connection is also a nice plus.

When I read through your background section on the staff, I immediately came to think that maybe the staff itself was some kind of Far Realm creature that had assumed a form of 'order' upon entering the Material Plane - it's not that far a stretch, at least according to the MotP 3e. Perhaps Winterwood (in his months of experimentations with the Far Realm portal) slowly fell under the thrall of the staff-creature. This certainly fits nicely with everything we have discussed so far in regards to the Far Realm. The staff creature could have been using the various wielder's - who each came into contact with the staff - to open a large enough portal to the Far Realm to allow for an invasion.

Again this fits in nicely with what we know of the Far Realm and Daruth Winterwood.

Anyway, nice work. I hope you have more exciting items on the way.

Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  18:46:24  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth
Maecenus, this is certainly an interesting new item. It's seems well balanced, and would hold up well in a lengthy campaign. I'd like to hear a little more about this adventure though...perhaps you could write-up a journal-like entry for the Adventuring section of the library?.

Sage of Perth and Bookwyrm, thanks for the comments. I have several other magic items I could post, if no one minds of course. As for the adventure, Granelgeim comes from the second in a series of adventures I designed for a campaign. The first is entitled "A Winter Storm in Amn" and the second is "Deep Beneath the Clouds".

Both of these can be downloaded at RPGArchive.

http://www.rpgarchive.com/index.php?page=adv1&advid=582
http://www.rpgarchive.com/index.php?page=adv1&advid=688
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  23:48:26  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

I remember that particular episode, mainly because one of my players wished to devise some rules in 2e to emulate that feat. It may also have been because we where adventuring in Barovia, Ravenloft at the time.

That strikes me as far from worth it. In the TV series, vampires turn to dust when they are staked. In D&D (as in most folklore and other fantasies), simple staking doesn't kill a vampire. In fact, if I remember correctly, a D&D vampire is only immobilized by a stake to the heart. Fire, beheading, or sun exposure is required to finish it all off. (Preferably all three -- one should always be thorough when dealing with the undead. )

To do something like that for vampire-fighting, you'd need a launcher. In that respect, you'd either have to have a mini-crossbow or one of my other items: the tube of launching. Actually, that last one might make for an excellent concealed weapon, if worn like my arm-sheath. (Wasn't there a Marvel character with something like that?)

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  04:25:56  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage  Send The Cardinal an AOL message  Send The Cardinal an ICQ Message  Click to see The Cardinal's MSN Messenger address  Send The Cardinal a Yahoo! Message Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*bows to sage*
You honor me with your praise and kind words.
Indeed perhaps the staff is indeed a living extention of the enitity.
One can never be too sure when dealing with alien entities and their artifacts....
I shall sift and search and see if I can grant you and dare part with some oddities and rarities from my.... eccentric collection...
Just remember all items I deal in are never one sided. Great power comes at equally or greater cost...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  05:54:19  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm said -
quote:
That strikes me as far from worth it. In the TV series, vampires turn to dust when they are staked. In D&D (as in most folklore and other fantasies), simple staking doesn't kill a vampire.
And that is exactly why a put a stop to his efforts. When it comes to issues like this, conformity to the D&D rules is paramount, at least in my games.

Bookwyrm also said -
quote:
Actually, that last one might make for an excellent concealed weapon, if worn like my arm-sheath. (Wasn't there a Marvel character with something like that?)
The only one I can think of at the moment is Shotgun II, but he was never popular...in fact IIRC he was killed by the Scourge organisation only after two appearances. Of course he's probably not the one you are thinking of, so I'll have to check my Marvel Superheroes Encyclopedia.

Cardinal Deimos said -
quote:
I shall sift and search and see if I can grant you and dare part with some oddities and rarities from my.... eccentric collection...
Just remember all items I deal in are never one sided. Great power comes at equally or greater cost...
Sounds good. I can't wait.

In fact maybe we should have theme weeks, utilising some sort of theme to create magical items around. What do you all think?.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2883 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  06:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good idea, Sage. And I managed to find the time this weekend to piece together a new item:

Vanaeir's Helix

This helix is made of five differently colored tubes of glassteel: red, blue, white, black, purple. The tubes are weaved together as if in a traditional helix, except for at the end of the helix, where they all meet in a point. This point is capped with a diamond. The tubes are open-ended at the larger end of the helix, so that liquids can be poured into them. Depending upon the liquid, and the tube that the liquid is poured into, a different ray is sent from the diamond. All liquids poured within the helix disappear during the creation of the ray. The red tube creates a ray of flame(fire damage), while the blue tube sends forth a blast of ice(cold damage), the white tube creates positive energy, the black creates negative energy, and the purple creates a force effect(normal damage). The amount of damage depends upon the liquid used.

Questions?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  08:33:47  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it.

What about the range stats though?

Hmm...with just a little modification, this could be of great use to the psionic Crystal Master PrC. I might work up a derivative for those among us who prefer psionics.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2883 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  09:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd leave that another variable for the liquid used to determine. What would you change to convert it to psionics? I'd be interested, seeing as you seem to be swamped right now...
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2003 :  21:59:28  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage  Send The Cardinal an AOL message  Send The Cardinal an ICQ Message  Click to see The Cardinal's MSN Messenger address  Send The Cardinal a Yahoo! Message Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you are right sage, a Theme week would be very intresting, as I will always craft items of high quality and dangerous drawbacks.
I can hardly wait... My forge, hammer, and enchantment spells stand at the ready... You need only ask and I shall do...

-Unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000