Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

Knightcrawler
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  20:17:58  Show Profile  Visit Knightcrawler's Homepage Send Knightcrawler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the corner of the shop the shadows suddenly deepen. Out of the swirling darkness steps a figure, robed in black. No features are visible beneath the shadow of its cowl, only two shimmering blue eyes. The figure looks around at the shop and with a satisfied sniff approaches the counter.

"I believe I may have something that may be of interest to you Sage." The figure reaches into the folds of its volumous robe and draws forth a huge greataxe. The weapon is enormous easily six feet in height with a sickly green blade that is dripping a greenish ichor. The figures hand holding the weapon is black as pitch covered with shimmering blue tatoo's.

"My companions and I obtained this weapon when we accidently stubled into a Blood War skirmish. We have no use for it so I thought you might be interested."

Heartcleaver
+2 Vorpal Gehennan Morghuth-Iron Huge Great Axe

This monstrous executioner’s axe is balanced and sized for large-sized creatures. Any medium-sized creature that wields the axe must have a Strength of at least 18 and then suffers a -4 penalty to hit and damage because of the ungainly weight and balance of the weapon. This penalty is reduced by one for every point of Strength above 18 that the wielder possesses. The Wielder must also be of evil alignment. If a neutral or good character picks up Heartcleaver they immediately gain 1 negative level and can no longer benefit from magical healing.

This evil weapon is not native to the Realms, but was forged on Gehenna. Aside from the basic magic of the vorpal weapon, the axe blade also constantly drips wih a translucent green poisonous ichor. The ichor cancels out healing magics, and therefore, the damage dealt by Heartcleaver must be recovered naturally by rest and sleep, not potions or spells. Additionally on each hit the victim must make a Fortitude save versus poison DC 14. The initial damage is 1 point of temporary Dexterity; the secondary damage is 1d4 points of temporary Dexterity.
Caster Level: 18th; Prerequisites: Craft Magical Arms and Armor, keen edge, death spell, bestow curse, creator must be evil; Market Price: 89,600 gp

NOTE: This weapon is a coversion from The Fall of Myth Drannor

Knightcrawler

I Am Become Death, Destroyer Of Worlds

Edited by - Knightcrawler on 21 Jan 2004 20:19:11
Go to Top of Page

Knightcrawler
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  22:25:21  Show Profile  Visit Knightcrawler's Homepage Send Knightcrawler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I made these for a dwarven friend of mine. He had a problem keeping up with the rest of the group and was as quiet as an approaching army," Knightcrawler drops a set of boots on the counter. The boots appear to be very sturdy with visible metal reinforcement throughout.

Dwarf Antidote Boots

These boots powers are only activated if the wearer is a dwarf. The dwarf moves at double his normal speed and his maximum jumping distance is doubled. In addition the boots provide him with a +10 circumstance bonus to Move Silently checks.
Caster Level: 8th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, expeditious retreat, creator must be an elf; Market Price: 4,200 gp

Knightcrawler

Go to Top of Page

Knightcrawler
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  22:41:28  Show Profile  Visit Knightcrawler's Homepage Send Knightcrawler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Knightcrawler reaches back into his cloak and draws out several items. "These items were very useful to me earlier in my career. Currently I have no real use for them."

Sorcerer’s Bracers

These bracers, which will only work for sorcerers, surround the wearer with an invisible but tangible field of force, granting him an armor bonus of +4 and a resistance bonus to all saving throws of +2. In addition they add to the wearer’s Charisma score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +4. Both bracers must be worn for the magic to be effective.
Caster Level: 8th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, mage armor, resistance, eagle’s splendor Market Price: 39,200 gp

Greater Boots of Elvenkind

These boots double the wearer’s normal speed, grant a +10 competence bonus to Move Silently and Jump checks, and the wearer’s maximum jumping distance is not limited by his height. Also they add to the wearer’s Dexterity score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +4. Both boots must be worn for the magic to be effective.
Caster Level: 8th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, expeditious retreat, jump, cat’s grace, creator must be an elf; Market Price: 32,000 gp

Sorcerer’s Hood of Illusion

The wearer of this hood, who must be a sorcerer, acts as if he were always under the effects of a blur spell (20% miss chance), can change self at will, and can choose to have all magic on his person be masked from detection as per nystul’s undetectable aura once per day. Additionally the wearer can cast invisibility and mirror image each three times per day.
Caster Level: 8th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, change self, invisibility, nystul’s undetectable aura, mirror image, blur; Market Price: 16,000 gp

Spectacles of Studying

These glasses grant the user the ability to continuously detect and read magic at all times they are worn. In addition they also let the user understand any spoken or written tongue as per a comprehend languages spell.
Caster Level: 2nd; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, read magic, detect magic, comprehend languages; Market Price: 3,250 gp

Knightcrawler

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  00:55:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All very fresh, and very new items Knightcrawler. I like them all, and I even have a perfect use in my own Ravenloft campaign tomorrow night, for those Dwarven Antidote Boots.

I'm glad that even new scribes to Candlekeep pay a visit to the Magic Shop...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  01:06:47  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See sage,even those who are new recognize the importance of good items.....

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Knightcrawler
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  01:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Knightcrawler's Homepage Send Knightcrawler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your praise. All the items are ones that have actually been used in my campaigns. I may have only lurked within the grounds of Candlekeep for a short time but I am not new to the Realms.

Yes the Dawrf Antidote Boots came about because we were fed up with the dwarf in our party being so slow and noisy. We often would have to leave him back so that we could sneak in somewhere. And then when we found a pair of Boots of Elvenkind the dwarf was given those, but it still didn't solve the speed problem. So when we had a couple of weeks of downtime in the game my sorcerer made these boots for the dwarf.

I'll be posting some more powerful items later on. Stuff that I'm working up for my campaign, including some items from Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves.

Knightcrawler

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  06:47:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the fact that that sword has an eye in it might have reminded you of Eyetooth, Sage.

Icewolf -- That reminds me of my own (and only) run in with the police. I was headed home in the dark on a cold March night, after a four-hour midterm for my astronomy class, and I was on a bike. I was delayed by the bus schedual (I used the bus part of the way) and by stopping at a fast food place for a milkshake. A block from the resturaunt, I pass a routine traffic stop with two patrol cars. (Don't ask me why, since I'd think only one would be needed.)

Next thing I know, I've got one of the patrol cars on my tail, who stops me and demands to know what I'm doing. I tell him I'm on my way home. He thinks I'm a vandal or a thief, since I've got dark clothing (my clothes looked black in the night, except for my shoes) and a full backpack. He didn't believe my story of coming back from an exam, and especially thought it suspicious that I would be on a bike in the cold. I guess he got a car the moment he was old enough.

Anyway, I wasn't about to let him touch my backpack without a warrent (or arresting me, which he didn't have grounds for) -- no way some stranger's handling my laptop. He finally accepted my (expired) learner's for evidence that I was two neighborhoods away from home, but then thought I lied -- the college wasn't in the direction I was coming from. I had to explain about bus routes. Finally his partner comes along and the first guy decides to let me go.

My brother (also a cop) got irritated at that story. The guy had no justification for stopping me. He was also disapointed that this guy wasn't from his department. The cop wasn't, though -- when I mentioned that my own brother was a police officer, he looked worried. He didn't want a fellow officer coming down on him for stopping his brother on mere suspicion (not even reports of vandalism to justify it).

Always helps to have a few ranks in Knowledge (local law), doesn't it.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  08:06:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes...Eyetooth . If I remember correctly, the player in my FR game who was using that particular item, was killed (by a Sarkrith) in the Storm Horns. It has yet to be recovered...

Go to Top of Page

Knightcrawler
Acolyte

22 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  03:15:03  Show Profile  Visit Knightcrawler's Homepage Send Knightcrawler a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mark of Midnights Magic

This series of shimmering blue tattoos covers much of the subjects body; torso, back, legs, arms and even head. This set of tattoos will only work for a creature with natural spell resistance as the spells are linked to directly to that ability. The tattoos protect the subject from scrying and magical location just as a nondetection spell does. If a divination spell is attempted against the subject, the caster of the divination must succeed on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against a DC of 12+Character Level. Additionally the tattoos provide life-sustaining nourishment, boiling down to no need for food or water refreshing the body and mind, so that the subject needs only sleep 2 hours per day to gain the benefit of 8 hours of sleep. The subject is immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, and any negative energy effects. The subject also gains an enhancement Natural Armor bonus of +4 and the continual effect of a protection from evil spell.
Caster Level: 12; Prerequisites: Craft Magical Tattoo, nondetection, death ward, barkskin, protection from evil, create food and water; Market Price: 274,950 gp

The Left Hand of Darkness

This ornate metal glove is made from adamantine and cunningly hinged to allow complete freedom of movement. The glove is made to be worn on the left hand. For the gloves powers to work the weaer must be an elf. When the wearer casts any spell that summons or calls a creature or creatures, the creature(s) receive a +4 deflection AC bonus, a +4 enhancement bonus to Constitution, a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength, and a +1 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls. The wearer also gains a +5 competence bonus to Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate skill checks. Lastly the wearer can cast a summon monster spell enhanced by echoing call III twice per day.
Caster Level: 17th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, bless, bulls strength, echoing call III, endurance, protection from chaos/evil/good/law; Market Price: 147,000 gp

Echoing Call III
Conjuration (Summoning,Hanging)
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V,S
Casting Time: Special
Range: Special
Duration: 3 rounds (see text)
Spell Resistance: No

The word that activates this hanging spell is added when you cast a summon monster I,II,III,IV, or V spell. This does not significantly alter the spell's casting time. The summon monster spell occurs normally, summoning what you dersire from the appropriate choice. Echoing call does not apparently do anything until your turn comes up the round after you cmplete the summon monster spell. Then, the same type of creature(s) summoned appear again anywhere you wish within 30 feet. The same thing happens the next round and the one after that, essentially quadrupling the power of the original summon monster spell.
XP Cost: 300.

NOTE: This spell is from Mongoose Publishings Encyclopaedia Arcana: Conjuration.

Knightcrawler

Edited by - Knightcrawler on 23 Jan 2004 03:18:45
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2004 :  03:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Well, the fact that that sword has an eye in it might have reminded you of Eyetooth, Sage.

Icewolf -- That reminds me of my own (and only) run in with the police. I was headed home in the dark on a cold March night, after a four-hour midterm for my astronomy class, and I was on a bike. I was delayed by the bus schedual (I used the bus part of the way) and by stopping at a fast food place for a milkshake. A block from the resturaunt, I pass a routine traffic stop with two patrol cars. (Don't ask me why, since I'd think only one would be needed.)

Next thing I know, I've got one of the patrol cars on my tail, who stops me and demands to know what I'm doing. I tell him I'm on my way home. He thinks I'm a vandal or a thief, since I've got dark clothing (my clothes looked black in the night, except for my shoes) and a full backpack. He didn't believe my story of coming back from an exam, and especially thought it suspicious that I would be on a bike in the cold. I guess he got a car the moment he was old enough.

Anyway, I wasn't about to let him touch my backpack without a warrent (or arresting me, which he didn't have grounds for) -- no way some stranger's handling my laptop. He finally accepted my (expired) learner's for evidence that I was two neighborhoods away from home, but then thought I lied -- the college wasn't in the direction I was coming from. I had to explain about bus routes. Finally his partner comes along and the first guy decides to let me go.

My brother (also a cop) got irritated at that story. The guy had no justification for stopping me. He was also disapointed that this guy wasn't from his department. The cop wasn't, though -- when I mentioned that my own brother was a police officer, he looked worried. He didn't want a fellow officer coming down on him for stopping his brother on mere suspicion (not even reports of vandalism to justify it).

Always helps to have a few ranks in Knowledge (local law), doesn't it.

Yes, it does help to have a few ranks in them, but I can't get into trouble anyways. My dad is a state police officer, sergeant to be exact, for the entire state of Connnecticut.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  01:52:23  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Icewolf's hand strays diwn to a sword hooked on his belt. He gave a pained look. "It pains me to part with this, but knowledge must pass on, it is the way of all things to end, and so, must my possession of this fine blade."

Lineage
For statistics, it depends on the form taken by the sword. No matter the form, however, it is treated as a masterwork weapon.

This is a rare sword, once passed down through countless generations of the ancient line of sorceror-kings, the name of which has long been lost to the Ages.

Upon first inspection, this sword appears to be a masterwork long sword. If, however, a detect magic spell is cast upon it, the aura is so intense as to be capable of rendering the detector unconcious for a short period of time.

In the hands of a sorceror, however, the true powers of this sword comes to bear. This weapon automatically assumes the form of the sword type the character is most efficient with. In addition to this, once a day, a sorceror can expend 1 spell slot to give the weapon a bonus equal to the spell slot level used (For instance, using a slot for a 3rd level spell will make this weapon a +3). This bonus lasts for 24 hours, when the dweomer must be renewed, or fades away completely, until the sword is recharged.

A wizard may also use this sword, but the sorceror's closer link to the Weave allows for a better result. A wizard empowering this sword must channel a prepared spell into the sword to charge the bonus. He will do so at a bonus of the spell's level -1. (A fireball spell, for instance, being a level 3 spell, will bestow a +2 bonus to the blade.)

Note, however, that the sword will remain a longsword in the hands of the wizard, despite their training.

Edited by - Icewolf on 25 Jan 2004 17:10:39
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  06:14:49  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But how long does that bonus last?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  07:12:47  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gah! Curses!

Edited by - Icewolf on 24 Jan 2004 07:13:08
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  07:25:00  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see. Well, that makes for an expensive weapon . . . .

I assume, of course, that there is a bonus cap? Nothing greater than +5?

Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  07:28:08  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I was thinking the requirement for charging it would be a detrement to charging it too high. Who would use a higher spell slot, when they could use it to shoot off a spell that could do more than a sword could, even with a bonus of +9, for instance.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  08:51:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm...interesting weapon Icewolf.

Your reference to 'Sorcerer-Kings' immediately conjured up images of Dark Sun in my mind, but the Weave's effect on the weapon quickly dispersed that memory...

In theory, this item sounds very similar to the type of weapons some of the Arak Shadow Fey in the RL setting use, although the item is tailored to functioning with the Sorcerer class and not an entire race like the Arak weapons.

You've scored some points with this though, and not just because of the memories it evoked...

Go to Top of Page

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2004 :  16:51:37  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There may already be a lot of items like this.

The Wizards Palm

This is a strip of leather with ties on the end that wraps around the palm of the caster. It allows the caster the ability to cast with the lack of components.

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  05:56:08  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, this is the first time posting to this topic, but better late than never I always say. Both items use the 2E rules.

Ring Of The Stone Golem
Ring of pure black marble. Can cast ‘Stoneskin’ 3x’s daily at the following levels and costs:
8th lvl – 2 chg
10th lvl – 8 chg
16th lvl – 16 chg
20th lvl – 20 chg
Effects are not cumulative.
Can be recharged by a mage of no less than 15th lvl.
Maximum charges of 40.

Tasmia’s Heart
This elaborately designed bustier is lined with black silk and lace and is adorned with many Sapphires and Beljurils. It sustained the High Lady Tasmia’s life both underwater, functioning as a Helm of Underwater Action and a Ring of Free Action, and for centuries beyond measure, working in some unknown manner to slow her aging and preserve her life force.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  07:44:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trafaldi

There may already be a lot of items like this.

The Wizards Palm

This is a strip of leather with ties on the end that wraps around the palm of the caster. It allows the caster the ability to cast with the lack of components.

I assume you mean non-costly components, such as those covered by the Eschew Materials feat?

This would be important for sorcerers, I'd say. Not only do sorcerers not have bonus metamagic feats, they also have to extend the casting to take advantage of them. With this strip (perhaps it should be a glove, taking the place of a glove/gauntlet slot?) a sorcerer could cast normally. That would make it very valuable to them . . . .

Would you like me to clean this up for you, Trafaldi? Or would you prefer to keep it as it is?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  14:46:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah...Yasraena...at last you have visited my humble Magic Shop .

I hope this will be the first of many fine visits...

Great items though, Yasraena. I had almost forgotten that I had once promised to post some interesting 2e items of my own here...Thanks for the reminder...

Go to Top of Page

Icewolf
Learned Scribe

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  18:22:01  Show Profile  Visit Icewolf's Homepage Send Icewolf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Icewolf rummages around inside the folds of his cloak, obviously looking for something, until he smiles, "Ah! Here it is!" He holds it up for inspection...

Fake Wand

Description: Created in ages past by an elven mage, this wand has runes and inscriptions that any mage would immediately associate with a Magic Missile spell. The wand itself is made from oak, with the runes and symbols are filled in with silver. Any attempts to detect magic will reveal quite clearly that it is a regular Wand of Magic Missile

Powers: This wand functions exactly as the magic missile spell would at 20th caster level. That is, until it is used in an actual battle, at which point, it casts Hold Person on the wand's user, and an illusory script that reads: "I got you!!"

History: The elven mage, Autumn Redleaf, was having a conflict with a rival, who seemed to be able to counter every spell she tried to cast. She hired a shadowdancer to place this wand in the posession of a monster that would certainly cross the path of her rival's adventuring band. The next time that the two faced off, te first item used was the wand, which had served well in all the tests that had been performed. The wand held Autumn's rival in place until well after the battle had ended, and Autumn had stripped er rival of everyting he owned-including clothes. But, she was generous and left the wand.

Edited by - Icewolf on 25 Jan 2004 18:23:49
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  21:44:54  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In his travels Darkwolf has come upon many interesting items, and driven by curiosity has several bards and loremasters on retainer to ferret out the history of such items. As he keeps a book detailing their findings it is only natural that their notes would make their way to Candlekeep historians.

Drevin's Wondrous Bandoleer

Bandoleer of dull black leather was initially commisioned by a Bhaalite asassin known only as Black Kestrel as payment by a red wizard of Thay. He carried it for several years until he disappeared during the time of troubles. It made it's way through the hands of several shady characters being exchanged by force or gold or sometimes both. A Westgate nobleman's son,Drevin Raster an accomplished dagger thrower and would be adventurer, heard of it's properties at a seedy tavern he frequented, and set about trying to acquire it. Finally for a sizeable sum of gold a deal was struck and Drevin had his cherished item.

After a scandal involving the wife of another noble house Drevin was forced to set course away from Westgate to seek his fortune elsewhere. He achieved some minor fame with a group of mercenary adventurers until the group took payment to venture through the moon wood to guard an alchemist in search of a rare plant rumored to only grow there.

Drevin met an ignoble end at the mercy of a pack of malarite lycanthropes and his possessions were seized by a wererat scout, whoo used his newfound power to rise in position to the lead of a group of rogue/ranger lycanthropes. It was late taken as spoils by an adventurer named Darkwolf and will apparently continue it's tradition of passing hands for blood or gold.

This masterwork bandoleer has eight slots for knives, daggers, or other small items across it's front, and a single one upon the back. It's magic becomes apparent however when a dagger is inserted in the ninth slot, and if the first eight are full it disappears into an extradimensional space. This space holds a score and a half of such items and whenever an item is drawn from one of the eight slots one appears in it's place. It's magic does not end there however, it also speeds the reflexes of it's user. Thee wearer gains use of the quickdraw feat applied to the weapons it contains, if the user has quickdraw already it allows him to gain use of the rapid shot feat applied to items drawn from it. If that feat is posessed as well he maymake an additional attack with the rapid shot feat when throwing daggers drawn from it.
------------------------------
I am a big fan of scaling items and abilities and have found that it is not that unbalancing to let an item that grants an increase to general ability, such as reflexes, scale so as a user is not just rewarded early, but later as well for using an item.

Edited by - Capn Charlie on 25 Jan 2004 21:45:42
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2004 :  23:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several other items have not had their history researched yet, but their magical qualities prove interesting

Cloak, Duelists: This stylish cape or cloak bestows skill in combat approaching that of the most skilled of fencers. You gain some of the abilities of a duelist, if you are already a duelist you may add 5 to the level of the abilities, thus a 1st level duelist has a canny defense of +6, and a 5th level duelist adds +2d6 precise strike. while a 10th level duelist has a canny defense limit of +14, and adds +3d6 by precise strike.

Canny Defense : When not wearing armor or using a shield, you add 1 point of Intelligence bonus (if any) to a maximum of +5 to your Dexterity bonus to modify Armor Class while wielding a melee weapon. If you are caught flat-footed or otherwise denied your Dexterity bonus, you also loses this bonus.

Precise Strike (Ex): You gain the ability to strike precisely with a light or one-handed piercing weapon, gaining an extra 1d6 damage added to your normal damage roll.

When making a precise strike, you cannot attack with a weapon in her other hand or use a shield. Your precise strike only works against living creatures with discernible anatomies. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to a precise strike, and any item or ability that protects a creature from critical hits also protects a creature from a precise strike.

Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, Cat's grace and keen edge; Price 16,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

Hat of the Duelist: This stylish wide brimmed hat with jaunty plume enhances your ability to defend yourself in combat. You may consider your intelligence four points higher when using canny defense. This ability stacks with enhancement bonuses to intelligence.

Moderate transmutation; CL 8th; Craft Wondrous Item, fox’s cunning; Price 8,000 gp.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  02:06:54  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowlord steps out of the shadows, and speaks to the Sage, "Well, I have been to this shop numerous times before, asking for items to commission, but this time I will actually contribute to the shop's wealth of magical items. Do take good care of this amulet, as I found it in the Underdark on a drow priestess and have grown rather attached to it. Oh, and fair warning, do not don this if you are not a Vhaeraunite or else........" Shadowlord grins evilly, and leaves the sentence at that......

The Pendant of Merciless Regeneration
Description and Powers:
The Pendant of Merciless Regeneration appears to be an obsidian necklace, perfectly polished, with the holy symbol of Vhaeraun hanging from it as ornamentation. It is said that this pendant was originally purchased from the Bazaar in Menzoberranzan, though no one truly knows its origin.

If the wearer is a follower of Vhaeraun, and a male drow elf, the effects of all physical attacks upon the bearer are regenerated, with full regeneration occurring after 1 turn. If the wearer is not a Vhaeraunite, a male, and a drow, the regeneration process still takes place, but the possessor feels as though someone is whipping him mercilessly, and cannot move (except occasionally twitch) for two full turns. Even after the process is over, the non-Vhaeraunite feels a strong tingling, which affects his balance and coordination as a Dex –2.

Background:
This mysterious amulet is considered to be the savior of Vhaeraunites, and the bane of all else. Thought to have been made by outcast followers of the Masked Lord, the amulet has been put to good use by dark elven thieves, until a Lolthite priestess slew it's possessor. The priestess saw that the wounds she inflicted vanished fairly quickly and the thief was still able to fight after repetitive bludgeoning. She slew the Vhaeraunite thief and took the amulet for her own, hiding the sacrilegious holy symbol under her tunic. Eventually, the item was discovered, and she was branded a traitor priestess, even though her devotion to Lolth was strong. She was exiled to the Underdark and was slain by a peculiar drow male, surrounded by an aura of shadows. It is believed that the drow was a follower of the Masked Lord, and it can safely be assumed that the pendant is back in Vhaeraunite hands.

Feel free to revise the item and tell me of any errors, as I am rather new to the item creating world......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2004 :  05:16:40  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Targon walks in and bows to the Sage.* Look time no see, wise one. I hope my new item will help the patrons that comne to your shop.

Folding Tent
This item looks like a small 3X3inch cube of canvas over a small frame. It can be any coloring but usually it is brown canvas.
With the first command word, it takes the form of a tent made for 2 Medium size people and their stuff.
With the second command word, it takes the form of a tent made for 4 Medium size people and their stuff.
With the third command word, it takes the form of a tent made for 6 Medium size people and their stuff.
With the fourth command word, it returns to its cube form.

Caster Level: 7th Prerequisites: Craft Wonderous Item, Leomund's Tiny Hut Market Price: 2,000 gp Weight: 2lb

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  00:40:21  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowlord once again emerges from the darkness, this time with three items ready to be sold. "I made a few modifications to the Pendant as well as introduced some more items that would create a special bonus at the end. Let me know if these items are too powerful, too weak, or too unrealistic (even for fantasy)."

The Pendant of Merciless Regeneration
Description and Powers:
The Pendant of Merciless Regeneration appears to be an obsidian necklace, perfectly polished, with the holy symbol of Vhaeraun hanging from it as ornamentation. It is said that this pendant was originally purchased from Bazaar in Menzoberranzan, though no one truly knows its origin. It is thought to be a matching piece that goes along with The Shadow's Revenge, and the Cloak of Shadowy Prowess.

If the wearer is a follower of Vhaeraun, and a male drow elf, the effects of all physical attacks upon the bearer are regenerated, with full regeneration occurring after 1 turn. If the wearer is not a Vhaeraunite, a male, and a drow, the regeneration process still takes place, but the possessor feels as though someone is whipping him mercilessly, and cannot move (except occasionally twitch) for two full turns. Even after the process is over, the non-Vhaeraunite feels a strong tingling, which affects his balance and coordination as a Dex –2.

Background:
This mysterious amulet is considered to be the savior of Vhaeraunites, and the bane of all else. Thought to have been made by outcast followers of the Masked Lord, the amulet has been put to good use by dark elven thieves, until a Lolthite priestess slew it's possessor. The priestess saw that the wounds she inflicted vanished fairly quickly and the thief was still able to fight after repetitive bludgeoning. She slew the Vhaeraunite thief and took the amulet for her own, hiding the sacrilegious holy symbol under her tunic. Eventually, the item was discovered, and she was branded a traitor priestess, even though her devotion to Lolth was strong. She was exiled to the Underdark and was slain by a peculiar drow male, surrounded by an aura of shadows. It is believed that the drow was a follower of the Masked Lord, and it can safely be assumed that the pendant is back in Vhaeraunite hands.

Bonuses:
This amulet is a part of a set, and it's full potential cannot be realized until it is reunited with The Shadow's Revenge, and the Cloak of Shadowy Prowess.

Strong Transmutation, Abjuration [Darkness] and Illusion (Shadow); CL 18th; Craft Wondrous Item, regeneration, creator must be a Vhaeraunite Drow Male; Cost 30,000 gp + 1,000 XP.

The Shadow's Revenge
Description and Powers:
The Shadow's Revenge appears to be an obsidian ring, perfectly polished, with the holy symbol of Vhaeraun inlaid in it's center. It is said that this ring was originally purchased from Bazaar in Menzoberranzan, though no one truly knows its origin. It is thought to be a matching piece that goes along with The Pendant of Merciless Regeneration, and The Cloak of Shadowy Prowess.

If the wearer is a follower of Vhaeraun, and a male drow elf, the bearer can shadow walk 3 times per day. The ring gives a +2 bonus to strength and dexterity, +15 to the Hide Skill, and +15 to the Move Silently Skill. The band also acts as a ring of anti-venom. If the wearer is not a Vhaeraunite, a male, and a drow, the ring has no effect, and the possessor feels as though someone is whipping him mercilessly, and cannot move (except occasionally twitch) until the ring is removed. The ring can only be removed from non-Vhaeraunites by a remove curse spell, and even then the once-bearer feels a strong tingling, which affects his balance and coordination as a Dex –2 for one whole week.

Background:
This mysterious ring is considered to be the savior of Vhaeraunites, and the bane of all else. The item was thought to have been made by outcast followers of the Masked Lord, and the ring was used by many a Vhaeraunite thief, until it was brought to the surface. There it was taken by an adventurous halfling, who learned too late of his error. His tortured screams echoed throughout Cormanthor, drawing all manner of creatures to his location. The halfling was slain, and taken by drow followers of Eilistraee, who were careful not to touch the ring. Later on, the Eilistraeens were slain by a peculiar drow male, surrounded by an aura of shadows. It is believed that the drow was a follower of the Masked Lord, and it can safely be assumed that the pendant is back in Vhaeraunite hands.

Bonuses:
This ring is a part of a set, and it's full potential cannot be realized until it is reunited with The Pendant of Merciless Regeneration, and the Cloak of Shadowy Prowess.

Strong Transmutation, Abjuration [Darkness], and Illusion (Shadow); CL 18th; Craft Wondrous Item, shadow walk, creator must be a Vhaeraunite Drow Male; Cost 30,000 gp + 1,000 XP.

The Cloak of Shadowy Prowess
Description and Powers:
The Cloak of Shadowy Prowess appears to be a black cloak that absorbs light and spreads shadows and darkness. An ornate version of Vhaeraun's half-mask has been inlaid into the center of the back. It is said that this cloak was originally purchased from Bazaar in Menzoberranzan, though no one truly knows its origin. It is thought to be a matching piece that goes along with The Pendant of Merciless Regeneration, and The Shadow's Revenge.

If the wearer is a follower of Vhaeraun, and a male drow elf, the bearer can cast Armor of Darkness, Blacklight, Darkbolt, and Shadow Mask, each used 2 times per day. Also, the wearer is under the effects of a permanent Cloak of Dark Power Spell, which protects the subject and all his belongings from the light of the sun and the effects of blindness or bright light. The cloak gives a +20 to the Hide Skill, and +15 to the Move Silently Skill. If the wearer is not a Vhaeraunite, a male, and a drow, the cloak has no effect, and the possessor feels as though someone is whipping him mercilessly, and cannot move (except occasionally twitch) until the cloak is removed. The cloak can be removed by non-magical means, but the non-Vhaeraunite is probably too weak to remove it himself by that point. Even once the cloak is removed, the once-bearer feels a strong tingling, which affects his balance and coordination as a Dex –2 for one whole week.

Background:
This mysterious cloak is considered to be the savior of Vhaeraunites, and the bane of all else. The item was thought to have been made by outcast followers of the Masked Lord, and many Vhaeraunite thieves used the ring, until it was taken off a slain drow, and brought to the Illithid City of Oryndoll. The illithids wished to study it to find out why the cloak always seemed to radiate shadows. The Cloak of Shadowy Prowess was later recovered by a peculiar drow male, surrounded by an aura of shadows. It is believed that the drow was a follower of the Masked Lord, and it can safely be assumed that the cloak is back in Vhaeraunite hands.

Bonuses:
This ring is a part of a set, and it's full potential cannot be realized until it is reunited with The Pendant of Merciless Regeneration, and the Shadow's Revenge.

Strong Transmutation, Evocation and Abjuration, Abjuration [Darkness], Evocation [Darkness], and Illusion (Shadow); CL 18th; Craft Wondrous Item, armor of darkness, blacklight, darkbolt, shadow mask, and cloak of dark power, creator must be a Vhaeraunite Drow Male; Cost 30,000 gp + 1,000 XP.

Vhaeraun's Dark Favor
Description and Powers:
Vhaeraun's Dark Favor is the full effect of the combined Pendant of Merciless Regeneration, Shadow's Revenge, and Cloak of Shadowy Prowess. When all three items are worn by the same person, who can only be a drow Vhaeraunite, an event occurs, which is only known as Vhaeraun's Dark Favor. The wearer is rendered invisible, but can still be seen by people of his choice. He is immune to the effect of the True Sight Spell, which dispels illusion, and is completely silent. No being, short of the divine, can spot him, and he is immune to the clerical spells and snake whips of Lolthite priestesses.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun

Edited by - Shadowlord on 29 Jan 2004 00:34:20
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  01:47:55  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would truly appretiate it if you gave me some feedback Sage. As these are some of my first items, I think I could use some help, and you're the best teacher I can come up with.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  02:57:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Shadowlord, I've been a little 'over'-busy of late...

Anyway, looking over what you have presented...I can see some real treasures here. I'm even going to use the Pendant of Merciless Regeneration in my RL game tonight.

Okay, now onto stats discussion. They all seem fairly balanced, I'm not so sure about the bonuses granted by The Shadow's Revenge though, as they seem a little high. But given the CL, I guess it is mostly appropriate.

Now Targon...this is a truly fantastic item. I really like this . It reminds me very much of a similar item I read in a PS novel once, but was never able to find the stats for.

I'd like to use this item, if you'll allow it. My adventuring party on Krynn are wandering the Plains of Dust at the moment, and something like this could really come in handy...

Now, before I go...did I say how much I like the Folding Tent...

Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2004 :  05:58:20  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Targon blushes then bows humbly* Thank you for your praise, mighty Sage. I would be honored for people to use my item. I originally made it for a world I made up for my personal stories and I'll add more items from it later. If anybody wishes to use them in their own RP's go ahead but you might need to change a few names of later items to fit your worlds.
My inspriration for the Folding Tent was the Folding Boat. A normal tent weighs 20lbs and my Folding Tent only weights 2lb so it's easier to carry for most anybody.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2004 :  00:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Sorry Shadowlord, I've been a little 'over'-busy of late...

Anyway, looking over what you have presented...I can see some real treasures here. I'm even going to use the Pendant of Merciless Regeneration in my RL game tonight.

Okay, now onto stats discussion. They all seem fairly balanced, I'm not so sure about the bonuses granted by The Shadow's Revenge though, as they seem a little high. But given the CL, I guess it is mostly appropriate.
<snip>

Wow, the great and wise Sage is going to use my item???? I am astonished! That was the first item I ever made! Excuse me if I go brag around the keep for a while........ Hmm, do you really think the bonuses from The Shadow's Revenge are too high??? That's why the CL is so high, but I'm always open to a little revision, so post what you think the effects should be.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun

Edited by - Shadowlord on 29 Jan 2004 00:30:33
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000