Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  09:43:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krandor said -
quote:
Ah I see that the store is open once more!!
It was never actually closed. My duties as the Sage of Perth had been sorely neglected solely by the amount of time I was spending here, tending the shop. Never fear however...trusty Brax is always here to help or assist you with whatever you need, even if I am not.

Anyway -

Impressive items Krandor...very fine additions to the great inventory here at the Magic Shop. Time permitting, I have some new items that I would like to add, so I will see what this weekend brings.

I am not exactly sure about Saracox's Dagger though. Do you have any campaign use details to illustrate the overall effectiveness of this item?.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Krandor
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  21:30:13  Show Profile  Visit Krandor's Homepage Send Krandor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got the idea from a TV show called "Highlander". It showed a couple of immortals (in this case they can only be killed by getting their heads chopped off) continually rob banks. This took place in the day of mobsters (ol school) and whenever they were shot (by the cops) they would be buried and then unburied by a another guy. (Since they could never die)
Basically, the thief in question would "kill" himself with the dagger while in prison. This would make the officials think that he was dead and get rid of his body. Since he was a thief proper burial wouldn't be thought of or occur. Once his body was removed, he would then arise from his "sleep" and get away. (There are cases when this couldn't work but... meh.)

"Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." - Krandor, Master Smith
Go to Top of Page

Krandor
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  22:48:04  Show Profile  Visit Krandor's Homepage Send Krandor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword of the Undead
Dmg - 1d8+2
Cost - Undecided

This sword looks like a normal bastard sword with a +2 enchantment, but when in the hands of an evil cleric or necromancer, the items power comes into perspective. When wielded, the sword glows a very sickly green color, and when the command word is spoken, the sword controls all undead in a 200 yard radius. Also, during this period it gains +5 enchantment against good creatures (neutral excluded) (any type of undead can be controlled, even death knights.). It does this for as long as the user wants. The undead will not attack the user and will obey him/her completely. When this sword is hit against a holy avenger (ex. Paladin and user are in a fight and parries the attack) it creates a blast that causes 2d20 damage against all within 10' radius. To an evil necromancer this weapon is as valuable as a +5 Holy Avenger is to a Paladin.

"Good judgement comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." - Krandor, Master Smith
Go to Top of Page

Krandor
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2003 :  22:52:23  Show Profile  Visit Krandor's Homepage Send Krandor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Armour of Convenience
Plate Mail +2

This armor is the same as plate mail +2 but has the additional property of being able to assemble or disassemble itself on command. At a magic command word the armor leaps into the frame of the the wearer and positions and buckles itself accordingly. Similarly at another magic command word the armor unfastens and removes itself from the wearer's body and stacks into a neat pile. Both assembly and disassembly take 1 round/turn.

Edited by - Krandor on 24 Sep 2003 21:03:08
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2003 :  03:33:43  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The dagger has an interesting idea behind it, but it's still weak on story history. If the thief is captured before he 'kills' himself, why don't the authorities take the dagger? And why, when he's disposed of, do they not touch it even then?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.

Edited by - Bookwyrm on 25 Sep 2003 03:55:03
Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2003 :  20:08:36  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alethiometer

This heavy device appears to be identicle to a normal pocket watch, except that positioned around the edges where the numbers would usually be are 36 minute pictures. On the outer shell of the Alethiometer are three small dials which can be turned, and will in turn three small pointers inside the glass of the Alethiometer.

This item is quite simple to use, the user simply places the three pointers on three aspects of the question he or she wishes to ask and then the fourth pointer, a thin golden strip, will rotate and point to the answer to the question.

Anyone who has read any novel by Philip Pullman will tell that the guy is a complete genius when it comes to inventing items such as this. you chould check out the book called Northern Lights for more details!

"Those who watch their backs meet death from the front"
Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2003 :  20:13:31  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am extremely surprised, and insulted, that no one has previously suggested any items from any of Philip Pullman's novels. I will be entering the rest of the items shortly.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  04:32:35  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blech. Those books are in my 'to be sold for store credit so I can get some GOOD books' pile.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Jander Sunstar
Learned Scribe

Turkey
275 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  18:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Jander Sunstar's Homepage Send Jander Sunstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unleashed Sprit (Scmitar+2)
Description: Bright silver colored blade and hilt covered with valuable gems. there is a povel gem which changes color according to the wielder.
This sword is intelegent but not very social.It understands the needs of its wielder and grants him random supernatural abilities and magical effects.
Sword is loyal to its bearer whatver his allignment is. And never be stolen and wielded during its current owner is alive. Sword can manipulate and betray the his unchoosen owner and returns again magically after a while(1-7 days)
Common effects:Gives alertness permanantly. Immunity to all mind affecting spells.
Examples of supernatural abilities and swords powers: The bearer of this sword has some kind of a prestige class. Every level he gains some abilities.
1st level detect undead at will.2nd level +4 att bonus to undeads and
lesser undeads can be disintegrated(%50)3rd level immune to disease 4th level free action and +8 att to undeads and lesser undeads will autamatically and medium undeads can be disintegrated(%50)6th level immune to level drain.10th level +10 att bonus and medium undeads will autamatically and superior undeads can be disintegrated(%25)
Note: This sword act like a +2 scimitar cover with beautiful gems to the players under 5th level. During this time sword prepares the best fitting configuration and worth of the bearer.

Punish me if you will, for my hands are not clean. But deny me not my revenge!"
-Jander Sunstar
Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  19:10:48  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hold on Bookwyrm, that wasn't very nice. What if poor Pullman was online right now? Besides, not all of the books are bad.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2003 :  21:28:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice or not, it doesn't change the fact. I didn't insult him anyway. Just his books. Of course, as a writer, I'd be upset if someone hated what I wrote, but I'd prefer to know, rather than think everyone loved it.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2003 :  15:50:01  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright then, sorry Bookwyrm, you have a point.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  07:05:02  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, this one isn't actually a magic item, but what the hey -- I've put almost everything else in here, right?

Arm-holster
Cost: 20 gp
Weight: 0.5 lbs

This special leather holster is strapped to the underside of the forearm, and holds any dagger of light size. Its clever design allows the wearer to drop the dagger into his waiting hand with a simple flex and twist of the arm, negating any attack of opportunity connected with the drawing of that weapon. This is possible no matter which hand is the character's favored one.

This is only possible when the subject is upright, as it depends on gravity to opperate this way. However, if the same flex-twist motion is made when swinging that same arm, it is possible to launch the contained dagger at a target even when prone. This action is exactly the same as if the subject had thown the dagger normally, save that the attack roll is made at a -1 penalty (in addition to any other penalties), and the character's Strength bonus (if any) is not added to the damage roll. (Strength penalties apply as normal.) This use provokes an attack of opportunity.

A masterwork version of this device is the same as above, save for the following. Drawing the daggers with the flex-twist motion is a free action for either hand. The launching use penalty is removed, and one-half the character's Strength bonus (if any) is added. (Strength penalties still apply as normal.) A masterwork arm-holster is considered a weapon, not armor; as such, the masterwork price is 320 gp.

This device takes the place of one of a character's bracer or gauntlet slots. A masterwork arm-holster, however, can be enchanted to be used as a single bracer. (A normal bracer, or another masterwork arm-holster, must be provided to serve as the enchanted counterpart.) It is not possible to combine the arm-holster with gauntlets, as the arm-holster can no longer function.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  08:59:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like it. It's balanced, useful and interesting enough to attract even the most serious 'dagger-user'. Anyway, it would make a nice addition to the inventory of one of my PC's - whose class just happens to be my own created Mistress of Daggers PrC.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  09:03:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a question for visitors to the Magic Shop.

Over the last several months, I have been putting together a small notebook of various magical items (weapons, and the like) that could be of use in future campaigns, or that some of my fellow DM's could use in their own campaigns.

So to get to the question...would there be enough interest from my fellow scribes here at Candlekeep, if I starting posting some of my creations again?.

Just let me know here, and I'll see about doing some 'weekly' updates again.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  09:10:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One vote!

Haven't been posting much myself . . . I've been busy with work and then also getting Jack Archer developed.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  09:12:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent .

Now if a few more could place their vote...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  09:17:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure they'll be along. Once they see that the months-old "Out to Lunch, Be Right Back" sign's been taken down and the merchandise has been dusted off, they'll start opening that door again.

By the way, perhaps you could detail your "Mistress of Daggers" PrC in another thread?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  09:26:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought I did...I'll have to do a search.

If it doesn't turn up, then yes, I will see about posting it here.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  09:46:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A search only yeilded passing mentions. You've mentioned her enough, though, that I'm interested in hearing what she is.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  09:56:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bookwyrm .

I guess I became a little side-tracked reading my copy of Edding's The Elder Gods...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  10:07:15  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw that. Didn't pick it up, wanting to buy There Will Be Dragons (excellent, though not PG). Perhaps you could let me know your impressions of it?

But much as I feel everyone should read Eddings's books, I have this little prickly feeling between my shoulder blades that suggests Alaundo's about to say something to us about off-topicness. Perhpas you could send me an email? ( You owe me one on the subject of Jack Archer, anyway. )

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  10:10:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd be interested, Sage. I'd contribute something, but I'm way too busy on Aslari...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  10:21:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great to hear Arivia, thanks.

Remember, if you want to see something specific created, just leave a little note in the 'Suggestions' box that is hanging on Brax's bedrooom door. I'm sure he let me know one way or the other...

Bookwyrm, as soon as I finish it, I'll send you an email with my thoughts on the book, okay?.

Regarding Jack Archer...this is something I keep meaning to get to, one of these days...I really do apologise for any anger or anxiety you may have been feeling over my lack of a response, but as I have said before, I have been extraordinarily busy these last few weeks, and with exams coming up, my free-time is about to become 'occupied-time' .

Anyway, I'll see about sending you back some notes I have made next week. Now, I had better stop rambling...I'm still recovering from the ill-effects of Alaundo's Staff of the Irritated Moderator +2 .

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  10:46:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another vote from me, Sage! About time you got this place opened up again!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  10:50:30  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I saw that. Didn't pick it up, wanting to buy There Will Be Dragons (excellent, though not PG). Perhaps you could let me know your impressions of it?

But much as I feel everyone should read Eddings's books, I have this little prickly feeling between my shoulder blades that suggests Alaundo's about to say something to us about off-topicness. Perhpas you could send me an email? ( You owe me one on the subject of Jack Archer, anyway. )

Well met

Hmmmm, speak of yet more tomes seem be make it into Candlekeep which are not of this world Woe be tide if I see any such works lying around unattended

::removes Staff of the Irritated Moderator +3 from beneath his robe and taps it lightly on his hand::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 22 Nov 2003 10:51:36
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2003 :  19:29:31  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's an item from an adventure I wrote a while back. For the most part, I used some properties mentioned in Magic of Faerun and added some personal flavor.

+1 Granelgeim:

Granelgeim was created long ago by the nearly forgotten sorcerer-warrior, Tynthros. It served him well, even being used at the Battle of Brokenheads. Tynthros lost the blade after being slain by a red wizard named Hozhehkremis who took Granelgeim and sold it in Selgaunt. After passing through various merchants hands it was finally sold to an elven adventurer named Feegh Duthowp. It passed on through the Duthowp line for many generations until it was stolen and taken to the west. What became of the blade then remains unknown.
Granelgeim is a +1 keen spellblade rapier. The wielder is immune to any Dispel Magic spell cast directly on them as the blade absorbs it, allowing it to either fizzle harmlessly or be directed to a new target as a free action. Granelgeim also emits a high pitched, but very quiet "chime" sound when the blade contacts any magical objects.

Caster Level: 13th; Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, spell turning, keen edge, detect magic; Market Price: 8,320 gp; Cost to Create: 4,320 gp + 320 XP.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  05:46:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the vote Rad, I appreciate it . I may need some assistance dusting off some of these items though, it has been a while...

Maecenus, this is certainly an interesting new item. It's seems well balanced, and would hold up well in a lengthy campaign. I'd like to hear a little more about this adventure though...perhaps you could write-up a journal-like entry for the Adventuring section of the library?.

Edited by - The Sage on 23 Nov 2003 05:52:50
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  05:51:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo said -
quote:
::removes Staff of the Irritated Moderator +3 from beneath his robe and taps it lightly on his hand::
+3!!!. It seems as though the Bookwyrm's, and my own 'infrequent' habits of off-topicism have warranted an increase.....

Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2003 :  07:11:43  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I promised you an Item sage and so I will deliver. Although no items are to be used without fore-thought... I present for the intrest of Candlekeep the Staff Of Pious Augustus:

Staff of Pious Augustus
A rather grotesque quarterstaff, made mainly from the 2 human spinal columns artistically woven together. The Headpiece is actually a pelvis of one of the unfortunate humans. While not a very effective weapon, it is the powers that drive people to attempt to uncover. Powers that do not come without a price that some find all too late...

Damage: 1d6+2
Special: Wielder undergoes a permenant change from living to Undeath.
Wielder suffers a -4 to 'to hit' rolls
Cursed- cannot be willingly or unwillingly given away or lost, Wielder becomes extremely possessive of the staff and will not draw any other weapon in battle, and the staff is always carried at the ready. Can only be removed from wielder by an uncurse spell.
User is able to Cast as a level 15 caster:
Summon Monster I 5/day
Summon Monster III 3/week
Summon Monster V 1/week
Lightning Bolt 2/day
Protect from Chaos/Evil 1/day
Magic Weapon 2/day
True Seeing 1/month
Cure Light Wounds 2/day
Magic Circle Chaos/Evil 1/month
Dominate Monster 1/ 2weeks
Dispel Magic 1/week
User must make a will save every two days against Insanity as per a level 15 caster or go insane for a day.
Suffers -4 to all diplomacy checks but gains +4 on intimidate checks
User is Permenantly under Geas/Quest Spell While staff is Wielded
Weight: 8 lbs
Background:
The History of the Staff of Pious Augustus is both unknown and bloody. What is known was that Pious Augustus was a an Elvish fighter in the service of on Daruth Winterwood in ages past. The Staff was Created By Winterwood as he experimented with beings and powers from the Far Realms. One such being (whose name is both unknown and most likely indecipherable) heavily enchanted the staff at the request of Daruth in return for services to be rendered. The unfortuenate Pious was given the staff as a reward for his loyal service. Pious at first disdainful of the ugly staff merely wanted to lock it in his weapon's chest, but upon his hand grasping the staff, Pious under-went a change of heart. Pious became protective of the staff and the main supporter of Daruth's work (some believe however, that the change of heart was an enchantment placed upon the staff by the Far Realm entity). After the disappearence of castle Xaxox, Pious and his enchanted weapon dropped out off the face of the world and so it has been until the discovery of this Staff. Signs of Augustus there are none but an eternal Elvish warrior is the least of concerns.... Voices are heard, whispers carried on the wind that speak of deeds to do and of servitude now inforced... Servitude to something beyond what the boundries of reason and time...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000