Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  13:58:51  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Long story, well, here goes.

He never liked the Maternal rulings and malevolent behaviour of the race, and hated his parents beyond mortal comprehension. He was often getting beaten half to death by the guards for speaking up to the Matron Mother of his own house, so he decided to leave. However, he had one good friend in the city, a Female called Kohel'lanerizon, and when he threatened to leave, they captured her and held her at knifepoint. She told him to just leave, and that she would see him again even if they killed her (i'll explain later). He did as she asked and left, and they chopped her up. Not nice, so then he had a life on the surface, and we come to the point of his little "mission", the girl he found was in fact Kohel'lanerizon's younger sister. The merchants he attacked were from her house. It all came together in the end. I think.

When she said that she'd see him later, this also happened to be true, because her character was sort of "reincarnated" as this younger character.

Alright? Phew, that took a long time didn't it!

"Those who watch their backs meet death from the front"
Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  14:49:39  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas, I've found my other sword. Here it goes.

Drowbane, Long Sword +4

This longsword features a Ruby encased Hilt with a Long Golden blade. The hilt ends in two small spikes, each shaped like miniature elves. The sword functions as a +4 Long sword for damage and THACO, however when within 30ft of a member of the Dark Elf race, it begins to glow dull purple. When it is glowing, it deals double damage (2d8+8 instead of the normal 1d8+4) against Dark Elves. This weapon also contains the power to cast a minor version of the level 6 priest spell "False Dawn", destroying any Adamantite armour or weapons in the area of effect halved (15ft radius).

This weapon was constructed by my character, materials on hand, but the enchanments came to about 8000 gold.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  14:59:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An impressive weapon. Your additions are certainly making an impression here in the Shop.

I would be curious to know actually how many 2e AD&D players there are here at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  15:12:50  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In an ongoing campaign, there are a force of Druids in a nearby forest who use this weapon I crafted as a trademark:

Plantpot, Dagger +3

This dagger is crafted out of what would at first appear to be foliage. Upon closer inspection, it is actually wood, but has numerous small plants growing from it. When this weapon is weilded by a druid, the plants begin to slowly move around like small worms. When an opponent is stabbed with this dagger, one of the plants shifts from the dagger and onto the target, where it sprouts flowers and begins to grow. After two rounds, the victim is surrounded by plants and cannot move (as per the level 1 Priest Spell "Entanglement"). The plants dissapear after the fourth round. This weapon deals 1d4+3 damage. The entanglement effect can only take effect once at a time, meaning that the user must wait for the effect to wear off before using it again. The dagger uses charges, and usually contains 1d8 to begin with.

This weapon is highly unusual, native only to this group of druids, and any found outside of the circle are worthless.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  15:24:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. A fine weapon NightElf...I can see that this weapon will definitely 'grow' to the customers liking .

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  15:27:23  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hehehe. Good one

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  15:36:37  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go on, just one more cursed item from my massive collection:

Armour of Spell Attraction

This bulky set of armour appears at first to grant the wearer an additional Two points of Armour (giving the wearer an AC bonus of -1 instead of 1), and nothing else. However, once the wearer comes into contact with magic, he unwittingly finds himself the sole target of every spell to be cast within a 30ft radius. Every spell, including those released from charged items or scrolls, changes direction and aims for the wearer. The armour attracts every type of spell, Good and Bad. Spells with an Area of Effect are negated, damaging only the wearer of the Armour. This armour can be only removed by a successful "Remove Curse" or "Wish" spell, nothing more.

Armour of this type is often sold by mistake as Plate Armour+2 because of the additional AC bonus. This retails at about 3000gp in some places.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  16:09:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might convert this one to 3e stats and then drop it into my campaign, in hopes that a certain member of my gaming group will pick it up. He is going through a stage of thinking himself quite invincible at 18th level .

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  16:22:13  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll dig up some other items for you. By the way, have you ever seen a user called Kahonen?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  16:25:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I believe I have - kahonen.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2003 :  16:31:19  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha, so he does exist within these halls. Thx. What kind of items would you like me to post next?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  02:11:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have any wizard robes, or axes?.

I really like to offer my customers a vast array of items for all the character classes.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  10:16:09  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Axe... just one. Here goes

Flame of Halruaa, Throwing Axe +3

This ornate axe radiates very strong enchantment magic. The handle and shaft are both carved of black Oak, and the blade is crafted of Diamond. When used by Dwarf, the head of the axe begins to glow slightly. When the user speaks directly to the axe the word "Halruaa", the blade bursts into flame and does an additional 1d6+4 fire damage as well as the normal 1d6+4. This weapon was crafted by the Ancient Blacksmiths of Halruaa as a gift for one who rescued the town from a group of Hobgoblins.

It usually sales for about 8000gp, but depending the the DM, it could still be in the hands of the dwarf. Just for reference purposes the Dwarf was called Krago Doraskill.

Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  10:22:46  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, sorry, here's another

Magicbane, Battle Axe +2

This simple looking axe has a Sapphire embedded in one side of the blade, and a Ruby in the other. The Handle is crafted of Emerald. The shaft and head are as normal, Wood and Iron. This weapon does not radiate any magic when detected. However, this is due to the enchantment. When this weapon is held by a non-spellcaster, the Sapphire and Ruby gently hum and vibrate. When the user finds himself in combat with any who can cast spells, the emerald also glows. When the user becomes the target of a spell, harmful or helpful, the axe draws the spell to itself. The axe absorbs the spellpower and stores it in the two stones at the head. This axe can only absorb 25 spell levels (25 level 1 spells; 5 level 5 spells). Once this limit is reached, the two gems will fall from the head and must be replaced. With or Without the gems this axe does 1d8+2 damage.

This axe usually retails for about 6000gp, or an additional 4000gp if the gems are intact.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  14:07:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
These are both fine items, although for the Flame of Halruaa, I think I would probably replace the trigger word with something a little more exotic, and less known.

One of the great things about finding or purchasing a mysterious magical item, is learning about all it's little intricacies, and discovering things about the item sometimes purely by accident. By making the trigger word something more exotic or less known, you can create a small side adventure to discover more about the item, and it's powers. At least that is the way that I normally introduce a specific magical item.

You could use something obscure, like the crafting wizard's wifes name, or his familiars name, or something. Just don't use 'Halruaa', it is simply too obvious.

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Jul 2003 14:08:33
Go to Top of Page

NightElf
Seeker

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  20:47:28  Show Profile  Visit NightElf's Homepage Send NightElf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll try and find some more items for tomorrow, but in the meantime, has anyone heard of the Draconomicon?

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2003 :  23:23:29  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malanthius

As Malanthius ponders the indecipherable tome of bark, Another Malanthius materializes behind him. The newer version glances at a strange glowing hourglass in his hands, nodding. Putting it away, he quickly opens a dimension door and tosses the original through it, tome and all saying "I always did wonder how that happened to me..."

Noticing the surprised look on the Sages face, he quickly explains " Oh do relax, it was completely self inflicted. Doesn't count and all that. Now i know that you haven't quite gotten the pet shop up and running yet (but be assured you will old friend) i thought i might bring a rather harmless fellow to get you started..." As he speaks he withdraws a small cage from within his robes containing what appears to be a fluffy white rabbit.
"Quite harmless , er, provided ofcourse you don't let him out of the obdurium cage, and um, well, you do keep lots of carrots handy don't you?" The tall practitioner takes a quick glance at the hourglass " oh dear, i'm going to be late, or is it early? Anyway i simply must remember to have the instruction manual for sal if and when he takes this blasted device off me. This is starting to become really confusing..." Saying this, he quickly dives through a nearby wall that seemed solid enough a minute ago. In his wake, a single page of paper flutters across the room and down onto the sages desk.

Upon closer inspection of the piece of paper, the Sage notices there is actually a second piece practically stuck to the first with the odd title of 'Insstrukshun Manul'

Malanthius' Timeless Hour Glass
Usable by: Anyone that it's given to (can't use it if you stole it!)
Prerequisites: Must be an inhabitent of the Time stream
Weight: N/A
Market price: Debatable.

Description: This strange device appears to the casual observer as a small hour glass filled with sands of various semi-luminescent colors. It appears to be carved from ivory and has strange engravings that while obviously magickal in nature, are not arcane writing. Upon closer inspection, it becomes apparent that not only the sands shift in color as they pass through the hourglass, but the egraving changes from moment to moment as well.
The true origins of this device are unsurprisingly (considering it's nature) lost to time. It's named after the only one in a very long line of fools to perhaps at least survive 'owning' this strange artifact.
It's abilities are as follows:

(Author's note: most of the information following can be referenced in the Netbook of time)

Paradox, Paradoctored:Anyone who comes into the possesion of the hourglass is effectively rendered immune to chronal erasure, (ie, if someone traveled back in their past and killed their grandfather before he had kids, then traveled back, the possesor would still be there)and any effects of aging spells (but still ages normally, and stat changes will still accrue).
Cosmic Mistake: once every 1d4 days, the artifact will attempt to grant the most prevalent desire of the possesor (consious or subconsious) through altering reality (as wish), this effect is completely beyond the possesors control, but possesor gets a will saving through (23) to get what they think they desire.
*Insane examination: The possesor can learn of the other abilities of the hourglass through 2d10 non-continous hours of examination per ability. (non-continous meaning that he or she cannot examine the engravings for more than an hour at a given time to gain any useful impression from it. Smaller increments than one hour will accumulate as normal).

*abilities achievable through insane examination

Semi-cosmic awareness: possesor can attempt to scry backward,forward and sideways through time and planes to detect a cosmic turning point, a place where events hinge on almost one event.

Chronal dance: Possesor gains ability to semi-randomly travel through time (backward or forward with a 1d10 chance of winding up within 100 years range)

The hourglass probably has other ablities than those listed here, but I'll leave that to some other idiot to discover!

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  02:37:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NightElf said -
quote:
I'll try and find some more items for tomorrow, but in the meantime, has anyone heard of the Draconomicon?
I assume your are talking about the 2e FR game accessory of the same name, and not the proposed 3e D&D version due for release next year. Anyway yes I have heard and do have a copy of the 2e version. Why?.

Ah...the Netbook of Time, a fine supplement indeed.

As to this item, I think it is very interesting. This really could have been very useful for the portion of my Planescape campaign that took an unscheduled detour to the Temporal Prime a few months ago.

Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  02:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I say, don't suppose you could fancy up my Full Plate ?
Any Orc Battle Axes ye have in there?

Life is like a box of chocolates. Once you eat the poisoned one you die.

Edited by - Salabasha on 29 Jul 2003 02:43:57
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  02:53:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any type of armor is welcome.

As for Battle Axes, well I think I have one or two here that I could post, but they will have to wait until my next Magic Shop update.

Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  03:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any magical enhancements you can add to my armour, that of full plate of course? I have, *starts to juggle large bags of gold, the resourves to pay for it

Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  03:09:44  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malanthius

Upon closer inspection of the piece of paper, the Sage notices there is actually a second piece practically stuck to the first with the odd title of 'Insstrukshun Manul'

Malanthius' Timeless Hour Glass
Usable by: Anyone that it's given to (can't use it if you stole it!)
Prerequisites: Must be an inhabitent of the Time stream
Weight: N/A
Market price: Debatable.

Description: This strange device appears to the casual observer as a small hour glass filled with sands of various semi-luminescent colors. It appears to be carved from ivory and has strange engravings that while obviously magickal in nature, are not arcane writing. Upon closer inspection, it becomes apparent that not only the sands shift in color as they pass through the hourglass, but the egraving changes from moment to moment as well.
The true origins of this device are unsurprisingly (considering it's nature) lost to time. It's named after the only one in a very long line of fools to perhaps at least survive 'owning' this strange artifact.
It's abilities are as follows:

(Author's note: most of the information following can be referenced in the Netbook of time)

Paradox, Paradoctored:Anyone who comes into the possesion of the hourglass is effectively rendered immune to chronal erasure, (ie, if someone traveled back in their past and killed their grandfather before he had kids, then traveled back, the possesor would still be there)and any effects of aging spells (but still ages normally, and stat changes will still accrue).
Cosmic Mistake: once every 1d4 days, the artifact will attempt to grant the most prevalent desire of the possesor (consious or subconsious) through altering reality (as wish), this effect is completely beyond the possesors control, but possesor gets a will saving through (23) to get what they think they desire.
*Insane examination: The possesor can learn of the other abilities of the hourglass through 2d10 non-continous hours of examination per ability. (non-continous meaning that he or she cannot examine the engravings for more than an hour at a given time to gain any useful impression from it. Smaller increments than one hour will accumulate as normal).

*abilities achievable through insane examination

Semi-cosmic awareness: possesor can attempt to scry backward,forward and sideways through time and planes to detect a cosmic turning point, a place where events hinge on almost one event.

Chronal dance: Possesor gains ability to semi-randomly travel through time (backward or forward with a 1d10 chance of winding up within 100 years range)

The hourglass probably has other ablities than those listed here, but I'll leave that to some other idiot to discover!

So is that what you gave me.
If so, you are quite correct. I, the idiot, shall discover its other abilites ! Now... for some insane examination.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  06:35:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are looking for a particular enchantment Salabasha, let me know which type, and the exact stats for your full-plate armor.

I will then try and see what I have in storage .

Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  15:49:33  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stats eh? *Looks sheepishly
Just normal Full plate ummmm.
+8 armour bonus, +2 Max def bonus. SP - I guess the fact that it is spiked and I have chained my gauntlets.

As for enchantments, anything that could raise its def or maybe res to magical attacks?

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  17:03:43  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another dimension door materializes in the wall where the previous one closed, allowing a rather startled malanthius to walk through carrying the bark tome. "What in all the nine hells" he starts to mutter, then notices the newly arrived thief.
"If your looking for full plate, you might try looking over there :
http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=893&whichpage=19

Saying this, he continues to look through the bark tome...

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2003 :  07:21:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salabasha, I will try to organise some special creations for your armor needs in the next few days. I am currently busy with study and exams at the moment so...

Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2003 :  16:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be in no hurry to create it.
Dare I ask what you are doing exams in the middle of the summer?

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2003 :  16:24:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::casts dimensional anchor on Malanthius::

Hmm. I seem to have crafter's block at the moment with my own personal projects. Anyone want a special order? I see there's a need for some armor . . . .

Hmm . . . you know, I had a magical full-plate in an old story of mine -- perhaps I'll look it up.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Salabasha
Learned Scribe

Portugal
216 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2003 :  16:39:46  Show Profile  Visit Salabasha's Homepage Send Salabasha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YEs, YEs, armour is need indeed.

Armour of the Gods.
If the character is isn't profecient in wearing armour/heavy armour, they can still wear Armour of the Gods with no drawback. Has no prerequisites in wearing it and you may wear it at lvl 1.
Gives wearing character +100 ac, and +100 to all stats.
Special ability --- Chaotic Giving. Role 1d4. If you get 1,2,3 you are impervious to all dmg dealt to you for a year. If you get 4 then you get a lvl boost of 10.
Transformation - Select 4 different enemies that you like, and pick each one to represent a number, Ex. Zombie = 1, Orc = 2, and role a 1d4. Whatever number comes up, you may change into that corresponding creature for the rest of the day.

Retail Price - $1000000000000000000000.

See, I can make armour to .

Of course, the above just shows that I am a drunkard , and I need real armour.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2003 :  02:22:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Salabasha said -
quote:
Dare I ask what you are doing exams in the middle of the summer?
It is high winter here in Australia at the moment Salabasha, like the rest of the southern hemisphere. Most of this country's exam time takes place during the winter period.

I do have a question for you though. Have you ever looked through a 1e tome called Unearthed Arcana?. It has an interesting assortment of magical items - including armors - that you would indeed find very useful. Anyway, I should have some new armor items tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000