Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  09:22:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only thing that I see that I might change (notice I did say might) if I were to run this in my campaign is the DC in the text I just quoted above. It seems a little high, especially with the fact that you must make a separate check for each penalty. I would probably make it DC 18 for all of them together as one check, or maybe tone it down to DC 15 for each penalty. But this would be totally dependent upon the character level and skill of the PC's in my campaign - hence the word, 'might'.

Oh, and I will figure a market cost for the item for you, when I get some time...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  09:26:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I may have to check - since I am not absolutely certain - but I believe there is a similar sword listed in a Planescape accessory that essentially grants the same abilities, only it combines the polar opposites of the planes - LG/CE.

I will check up on this.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  09:35:03  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, yes. The DC was chosen when it was a single check; I forgot to change it. We can consider it 15.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:04:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tube of launching

Weight: 1lb
Market Cost: Variable
Cost to Create: Variable
Caster Level: Variable
Prerequisite: Craft Wondrous Item, launch item

This is a hollow, foot-long tube, made of wood, leather, or metal. It is closed except for a lid on one end fastened with a simple catch. Any single item no larger than a potion vial can be placed inside. Once loaded, the tube need not be opened again, so the item inside is in no danger of falling out accidentally. When activated (by means of a button on the side) the lid opens on its own and the item inside is launched as if by a launch item spell. The spell’s range depends on the caster level used.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:08:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so it was more as a way to get out of making a cost for the item, but really, this is a low-level, generic sort of item, and its cost would vary on the material used and the caster level selected.

Besides, those cost-figuring tables are confusing.

Oh, and how long do you think it might take to load and fire this? I couldn't decide.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:08:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is very useful. Good idea Bookwyrm.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:11:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a little 'nebulous' when it comes to the rules on loading things in D&D. For this, I would say it would take nothing more than a standard action, but again this is all dependent on what exactly you are loading. So, anything from a partial to standard action, or even one full turn could be appropriate.

I'll get back to you though on something more definite.

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Jul 2003 10:12:20
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:22:42  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, when I went through the DMG and the PHB, I noticed something odd -- neither had stats for a blowgun. I wanted to find out the size and weight for this, since it's really just a magical version. I had to fudge it, though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:25:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an old issue of Dragon (somewhere in the 100's I believe) that details stats and abilities for blowguns. They will have to be converted though. I'll see if I can find them.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  10:37:30  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I've always liked blowguns. I used to have a toy one -- unlike most toy weapons, I could actually hit a target with this thing consistantly. My brother's wife (then his girlfriend) thought I would have a hard time with it, and, at my request, picked out a target. She chose a poster I had on my wall (she was staying in my room -- something I was highly resentful over! ), of the ancient Greek world. I said "okay, the map" (there was a map in the center.) The suction cup actually hit Athens. Off-center, but I could really aim that thing.

::sigh:: I wish I still had that old thing . . . haven't seen it in eight years.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:06:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it is Wednesday, and that means it's update time. I have some particularly fiendish items for post today. I hope you like/dislike them.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:07:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarven Anvil of Battle
Crafted from pure adamantine, this small 20cm anvil is inscribed with the symbol of Clangeddin Silverbeard.

Caster Level: 12th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Dwarf, circle of doom
Market Price: 54,321 gp
Special:
Once every two days as a standard action, the bearer can unleash the magical ability of the anvil by striking it with 'blessed' (dwarven clerics of Clangeddin) mithral hammer of greater value than 100 gp. Only this type of hammer may be used to trigger the effect.

The resultant strike triggers the magical ability of the anvil, which is to release a circle of doom with the anvil as the point of origin. All living and undead creatures with a 20ft radius burst centered on the anvil are dealt 1d8 points of damage +1 point of damage for every level of the bearer (maximum +20). A Fortitude save is required for half damage. If the bearer is also a cleric of Clangeddin, the +1 point of extra damage due to level, increases to +2, and no Fortitude save is allowed.

Also as per the effects of a circle of doom spell, undead creatures caught within the vicinity of the burst are instead healed of wounds, instead of being harmed.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jul 2003 08:41:54
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:08:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surfeit Evil
This bone-white powder is the ashen remains of many people's bones who have been killed by negative energy effects.

Caster Level: 8th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, unholy blight, ghoul touch
Market Price: 1,400 gp/bag
Cost to Create: 700 gp + 56 XP
Special:
Approximately one-full handful of this powder produces effects exactly similar to an unholy blight spell. Should the bearer not release the powder in 1d4 rounds, the bearer automatically falls under the same effect as a victim of a ghoul touch attack. The bearer becomes paralysed for 1d4 rounds, and does not receive a Fortitude saving throw to negate the effect. After the 1d4 period has passed, the powder in the bearers hand becomes inactive, and the bearer must again gather more powder for use.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:09:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bremalia's Wonderful Fruit-Filled Sugared Cookies
These finger-sized cookies are filled with rich jellied fruit and coated with iced sugar, completely hiding their sinister enchantment.

Caster Level: 7th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, blindness/deafness
Market Price: 300 gp
Cost to Create: 150 gp + 14 XP
Special:
After only one of these cookies has been eaten, and completed swallowed is the victim automatically affected by a blindness/deafness spell. However both effects of the spell occur at the same time, causing the victim to be both blind and deaf. A detect poison or similar enchantment/effect can alert the potential victim to the true nature of these cookies.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:11:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ring of the High Mystran Archmage
This silver-threaded golden ring looks almost exactly like the fabled and original Ring of the High Mystran Archmage, but it is a sinister copy crafted by the clerics of Shar, to undermine high arcanists and wizards. It is actually gold plated, but is really nothing more than a ring of standard bronze (1 gp).

Caster Level: 16th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, wish
Market Price: 65,000 gp
Special:
This ring has been cursed by the clerics of Shar so that its wearer can only cast arcane spells at -4 caster levels (this is with respect to the spell's range, duration, and other effects). It also effect caster level checks to over come spell resistance. The wearer is allowed a Will saving throw (DC30) every two rounds to successfully remove the ring. If the wearer fails three saves in a row over an 8 hour period, then only a successful dispel magic, or other similar spells/effects cast by a Mystran cleric can remove the ring.

A successful Appraise check by the wearer, before placing the ring on his/her finger, can reveal the true nature of the ring, alerting the character to the fact that this is not the actual Ring of the High Mystran Archmage. The character will notice subtle variations between the fabled Ring he has read about, and the ring now in front of him.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:11:42  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Once every two days as a standard action, the bearer must use . . .

Is that right? Or is it supposed to be can use?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:12:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Five Eyed Dagger of Talona
This is an exquisitely crafted silver dagger with a slightly curved blade at it's tip. The top portion of the dagger's hilt is studded with five purple eye-like gems, each of which hides a concealed compartment.

Caster Level: 10th
Prerequisites: Craft Arms and Armor, poison
Market Price: 20,321 gp
Cost to Create: 10,112 gp + 789 XP
Special:
The specially designed hilt of this +2 dagger has five compartments , which each contain a small dose of differing poisons which can be selected by the wielder. The compartments can also be used to hold five doses of one type of poison as well. Each successful hit upon a target can deliver one different poison of the wielder's choosing.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:13:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes that is right. I made this specific since it requires a special hammer to trigger the magical ability.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:14:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that's all the items for today. I will have some new items next Thursday or Friday, since I have two exams at the beginning of next week.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:26:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand that, but it makes it sound as if the bearer has to strike it, even if he doesn't want to.

I think it would be better to use something like the following:

Once every two days as a standard action, the bearer can strike the Anvil with a hammer to release its magical ability. The bearer must use a mithril hammer with a value of no less than 100 gp, blessed by the dwarven clerics of Clangeddin.

Once struck, the avil releases a circle of doom with the anvil as the point of origin. All living and undead creatures within 20ft of the anvil are dealt 1d8 points of damage, with one extra point of damage for every character level of the bearer (maximum +20). A Fortitude save is required for half damage.

If the bearer is also a cleric of Clangeddin, the +1 point of extra damage due to level increases to +2, and no Fortitude save is allowed.

However, I have to point out something. Since it's a circle of doom, why do undead take damage? It should actually heal them. It's negative energy, after all.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:32:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WHOOPS! . I forgot about that. Thanks Bookwyrm.

Bookwyrm said -
quote:
Once every two days as a standard action, the bearer can strike the Anvil with a hammer to release its magical ability. The bearer must use a mithril hammer with a value of no less than 100 gp, blessed by the dwarven clerics of Clangeddin.

Once struck, the avil releases a circle of doom with the anvil as the point of origin. All living and undead creatures within 20ft of the anvil are dealt 1d8 points of damage, with one extra point of damage for every character level of the bearer (maximum +20). A Fortitude save is required for half damage.

If the bearer is also a cleric of Clangeddin, the +1 point of extra damage due to level increases to +2, and no Fortitude save is allowed.

That's what I was aiming at, although I guess the description was incorrect at the time.

I will make the necessary changes.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:34:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Acutally, now that I remember, there was nothing wrong with using circle of doom. The nature of the items I had created here at the time, were based around dual-results. So yes, the spell would in fact heal any undead within the vicinity of the spell.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:37:34  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you like my version. I'm a little fussy about accurate writing, when it comes to something beyond the ordinary post.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  08:54:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Sage, I didn't expect you to put my version in there. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  11:17:26  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can more than one spellcaster work on an item? More precisely, can another spellcaster "donate" a spell to the process?

I suspect the answer is no, as it would entail problems of its own. I ask because my next sword would require a 5th level mage spell and a 6th level clerical spell. As such, the minimum caster level for a single spellcaster would be 20 -- Clr 11/Wiz 9. There's not much of a problem with that, of course (I can just make sure it compensates for its rarity), but I was curious.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2003 :  12:07:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have studied the relevant sections of the 2e Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, 3e Magic of Faerun, and some other gaming materials (both WotC and third-party), yet no tome makes mention of the fact that this method is possible. However, these tomes also do not discount the possibility either. It might be an interesting idea to tinker with a little.

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  00:22:06  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An Exceptionally tall Man of indeterminate age slinks into the shop, slowly perusing the magical wares. Every now and again he pauses in step to more thourougly examine a given piece. A tome of candle keep, a dagger with a handle in the shape of a cobra, quick glances at various scrolls...
Eventually he comes before the propietor and speaks softly...

Greetings again Sage, I just recently noted this rather miraculous shop of yours and was hoping that perchance you could help me with some small difficulties of mine. You see, for a rather long time I've been meaning to part with some minor trinkets i've collected and repaired over the years. For me it's never really been fun owning the item, just in reconstructing them.
So i was hoping i might be able to display some of them here in your fine establishment , i'd finally have them out of my cluttered storage locations and you'd have some rather interesting conversation pieces. What say you?

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  02:33:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::The Sage's head slowly lifts from the tome Lectures on Kant and the Critique of Pure Reason - that he had been busily reading - to greet the new patron to his shop.

"Yes, please do come in", he says in a gruff tone, as though he were a little disappointed at being disturbed from his reading.
::

Anyway, yes Malanthius. I would be honoured to accomodate anything of a magical nature that you wish to display here in my humble little shop. If indeed these pieces do provide a source for interesting conversation then I am sure either the Bookwyrm or myself would be more than happy to accomodate you on this as well.

Please post them here when you are sure they are ready.

Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Malanthius
Learned Scribe

144 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  08:10:57  Show Profile  Visit Malanthius's Homepage Send Malanthius a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Reaching deep into his robes, the tall newcomer slowly draws out a long slender object wrapped in worn cloth. Holding it before him as he unravels it, he begins to explain...

"I recovered, hmm, i guess you would call it the basis for this item in shadowdale.
Originally I had thought the Old Sage of that place had truly become senile to allow such a large disruption of the weave to take place in a farmers shack, but further investigation -much to my chagrin- led me to find the cause of it was, unfortunately something far worse."As the cloth tumbles to the floor an incessant murmering can be heard that rises in both pitch and volume, finally forming into a loud and obnoxious voice that constantly repeats
" Is we THERE YET?!!!"

For Centuries the lands of the Sword Coast have produced adventurers with cunning, boundless common sense, and a fierceness of heart difficult to find anywhere else in Faerun.
Keller Of Beregoast was not one of these.
To His Credit, Keller was without equal in terms of shear ferocity of fighting, a veritable engine of destruction upon the battlefield. Unfortunately, his slow wittedness made him almost as much a threat to his allies as to his enemies. Complicating all of this was the simple fact that Keller couldn't understand that there were things his sword simply wasn't able to hurt.
A notable argument with his then ally, the Sorceress Jelila of Evereska, occurred over the matter of how to properly dispose of a troll. Keller's refusal to allow her to cast aganazar's scorcher on the puried remains allowed the creature to regenerate and eat several of the companions before Jelila finally destroyed it with a well placed fireball. This led to Kellers seperation from Jelila's trackers along with his being ostracized by all other chartered groups and/or bands of brigands in the region.
Dispondant over this turn of events and greaving over recent news of his half brother Lilacor's dissapearance, Keller decided he needed to do something drastic. Get an enchanted blade.
The problem Keller then ran into was that no witch,wizard,priest or sorcerer seemed either willing or able to provide the kind of magick sword he wanted.
It seemd like a simple enough request to him: "I wants a sword whut can hurt anything. Even kill it if'n yas hit it enough times." he'd tell them, and sooner or later, some way or another they all would tell him the same thing, yes you could make a blade that could pierce this kind of monster, or slice that one, on a certain day under the right circumstances, but a weapon that could literally hurt anything? Impossible! Sheer Madness!
So, frustrated beyond belief with these "id'ut spell slingers" Keller had the wonderful idea that he'd simply make a magick blade himself.
Thus began a rather long crime wave that hit the wizards along the sword coast as a crazed fighter dashed into their sanctums, grabbed everything he could carry that looked remotely magickal, and bashed anyone that tried to stop him.
This insane quest culminated in Keller gathering all these "ingredients" together in one massive pot over a fire in a farmers shack in shadowdale. The resultant explosion destroyed the shack, most of the farm land surrounding it and (Unfortunately) only "most" of Keller.
Wether it was tymorra's toss, or Mystra's humor, to some degree Keller actually succeded in making the blade he disired so much.

Keller's Folly or The Un-Silent Blade

Description and Powers
At first glance one would dismiss this half melted object as a piece of scrap metal. Further inspection reveals it to be in a shape vaguely resembling a longsword that's blade is twisted and seemingly poorly balanced. Careful scrutiny shows that there is a form of handle carved from burnt bone.
Damage:1d8(Special-See Below)
Melee/Ranged: Melee
Size: Medium
Market Price: Priceless (literally-See Below)
Weight: 10lbs
Special:
Treat Keller's Folly as as +5 to Hit in all attack rolls, (No damage bonus, just to Hit, No Matter the creature the blade will only do 1d8 damage per hit plus wielder's strength bonus) Unique ability: Do to the generally messed up accident that created this bizarre weapon Keller's Folly can do damage to any form of creature,living or dead, ethereal or solid,inanimate or animate.Reguardless of said creatures regenerative abilities this does not count as subdual damage.
Semi-Sentient(Curse): Although there is some remainder of Keller about the weapon, "intelligence" would be a stretch. The Sword talks. And Talks. It never actually stops talking. It's annoying. Very Annoying. If the sword talks continously in the presence of the current wielder for 2d10 days, wielder must make a will save (21) or go insane as per the insanity spell.

"Oh, Do stop whining, It's not the End of the World. It's just the end of Your's."

Edited by - Malanthius on 16 Jul 2003 09:53:02
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2003 :  08:31:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like this. A great background tale, and a magical item of amazing ability. This was exactly one of the types of contribution I was hoping for. Someone's idea of an 'ultimate' weapon. Everything seems well balanced, although I think that the DC 15 could be a little higher, maybe 18 or even 20-25. You want this weapon's curse to be able to affect even those who are strong of will. I especially like the fact the the weapon's bonus affects the to-hit roll rather than the damage roll. An interesting alternative.

I guess the only thing left to ask is...do you have any more items to display here in the Magic Shop?.

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Jul 2003 10:04:05
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000