Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  11:18:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bookwyrm. Do you have any new items on the way soon?.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  11:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um . . .

[Bookwyrm looks back at his forge, where he sees some cobwebs hanging off of some equipment -- a longsword in particular.]

Er, it's possible, I suppose . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  11:43:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only asked, because it seems as though Candlekeep has been pretty quiet of late. Because of this, I was actually thinking of closing up shop for away, until 'business' picks up.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  12:09:40  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, several of our most valued members have been quite silent. I wonder why?

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  12:26:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, even the wise Alaundo has been absent for many days...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  12:36:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I don't mind that. He has an ring of invisibility, remember? He rarely deactivates it if he's not needed. What I want to know is where is Mournblade? I was expecting him to chime in on the Realistic Role-Playing topic.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  12:45:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have also been wondering what has happened to Zemd of late?.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  12:35:01  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just an update for those interested, due to my exam tomorrow, the promised magical item updates for Wednesday will be delayed until Thursday or Friday at the latest.

Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  16:41:32  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Yes, even the wise Alaundo has been absent for many days...

Indeed I had ventured from the gates of Candlekeep for a while, my fellow observant scribes.

::whispers:: I chose not to announce this for fear of rogue scribes taking an opportunity and running riot

As for the silence of late from other scribes, and I believe someone else also mentioned this.... it is a time of year where exams and vacations are taking place, im sure all will return soon ....as they have a lot of studying to catch up on!!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  20:54:31  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Oh, I don't mind that. He has an ring of invisibility, remember? He rarely deactivates it if he's not needed. What I want to know is where is Mournblade? I was expecting him to chime in on the Realistic Role-Playing topic.

HAH HAH sorry SAGE, I have been distracted by a certain Veterinary student that has been visiting here I should be a bit more active now, as she usually does not come over until about 8 oclock.

I will try not to neglect my duties...

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  23:02:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, Sage is over there -- I'm Bookwyrm.

We really need a new face for one of us.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  00:47:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm working (sort of) on some more items (or at least I've rekindled the fires in my forge). Before that, though, are there any particular sorts of items that people are looking for?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  15:22:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, since Bookwyrm just reminded me with his last post, I hereby renew my offer from the Magic Shop to craft an item of your choosing. My original offer is reprinted here from page 2 of this scroll -
quote:
I am announcing a new service available from the shop, a service only for those who regularly visit the shop - You decide what you need and I'll try my best to design it.

Simply leave any suggestions or types of weapons you want designed and I see what I have in the shops inventory.

Let's hear from you...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  10:01:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, and welcome to the Magic Shop.

Some new items have arrived, and I am quickly preparing them for sale within the hour.

Please look around, and let me know whether anything is of interest to you.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  10:02:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bone Chill Darts

Caster Level: 4th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, true strike, chill touch
Market Price: 380 gp
Cost to Create: 160 gp + 70 XP
Special:
Bone chill darts are simple but effective weapons. Each dart has been enchanted with both a true strike and a chill touch spell. They inflict 1d6 damage as per the chill touch spell upon any target they strike. When the dart is thrown they are automatically under the effect of the true strike spell. Each dart may only be used once, as they disintegrate after use.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  10:03:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Divination's Crystal Ball

Caster Level: 15th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, mind blank, spell turning
Market Price: 87,435 gp
Cost to Create: 43,213 gp + 3,654 XP
Special:
This extraordinarily power magical crystal ball was crafted to reflect divination magics. Any type of divination spell (including, as high as a Wish spell) that has been directed at the bearer by an opponent will reverse and report to the bearer, information as though a particular divination spell had been directed at the caster instead. What this means is, that if the opponent were to attempt to locate the bearers position, the ball would instead report the opponents position to the bearer instead.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  10:04:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quicksilver

Caster Level: 10th
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, freedom of movement
Market Price: 97,432 gp
Cost to Create: 52,423 gp + 2,198 XP
Special:
Quicksilver is a +2 piercing dagger of speed, which grants it's wielder a +20 ft bonus to his base movement rate. It also grants the wielder the benefits of freedom of movement while holding the dagger.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  10:06:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that's it for today. Check back next Wednesday or Thursday for some curious new items.

Special Note: Please remember to take note of my offer in the 4th previous post above.

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Jul 2003 10:07:34
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  10:45:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the damage inflicted by the bone chill darts just the effect of the spell, or is it normal damage as by a dart, plus the spell damage?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  10:51:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is dart damage plus the combined spell damage. This item was crafted after a similar weapon described in a Dragon Magazine 2e FR article back in 1996.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2003 :  11:17:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, this item gave me (indirectly) an idea for a new item. Maybe I'll have it up soon . . . .

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  03:03:30  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Divination's Crystal Ball, but how would it work on a wish spell? What if the wish would have had a positive effect on the bearer? (I know this is unlikely) I guess what I'm really asking is does the bearer get to choose whether or not the spell is reversed?

Oh, I'm glad to see one of you sporting a new look. That was beginning to get really confusing.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  05:45:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Y'know, I was just thinking -- any newbies that came along now would find all those discussions about how confusing it was before . . . and they won't get it, because they'll never have known that confusion.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  09:42:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brynweir said -
quote:
Oh, I'm glad to see one of you sporting a new look. That was beginning to get really confusing.
I guess the fact that I saw Hulk again for the third time yesterday, released the "Sage" in me .

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Jul 2003 09:44:11
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  09:50:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brynweir also said -
quote:
I like Divination's Crystal Ball, but how would it work on a wish spell? What if the wish would have had a positive effect on the bearer? (I know this is unlikely) I guess what I'm really asking is does the bearer get to choose whether or not the spell is reversed?

That's an interesting question Brynweir, and not something I had considered when I had crafted this item.

I think the fact that I limited it's ability to only affect divination (information) magics, really means the effect you are proposing would simply be ignored by the globe. But then again it all depends on what effect you mean. A transformation, or similar effect obviously will be ignored because it is not information. I guess the only way to really determine this is to leave that kind of decision up to the DM. Afterall, this item does have the potential to unbalance a campaign, and I would like to leave a certain amount of final authority in the DM's hands.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  10:18:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not heard anything good about that movie yet. At least not overall. A humorist I depend on for laughs wrote (in a non-humor-based comment) that it rated a 1 on his scale of movies. His scale, by the way, is one where the number is equal to the number of times he'll shell out cash to see it in theaters. Matrix and Spider-Man got 3s. X2 and Matrix Reloaded would have gotten 3s as well if he hadn't been so busy; he only saw each one twice.

All I can say is, I'm glad they didn't trash the Realms. I think the only ones I'd trust not to mess up a Realms movie would be Peter Jackson or (perhaps) whoever did the Harry Potter films. (That one would be provisional; Jackson would get carte blanche.) I would have once said Lucas as well, but not any more. I don't want a movie to all be special effects and "let's make the audience go WOW!" moments like there was with that stupid D&D movie.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  10:24:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When it comes to comic-character based films, I guess it really all comes down to the fact, that those who collect the comics, are, in most cases the majority of viewers who enjoyed the movie.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  07:46:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, to get things back on track, here's that longsword I hinted at recently:

Sword of Shadows

This is a +1 longsword of simple construction, save for an unusual pattern on the hilt. On one side of the crosspiece is a gold-plated sun, complete with symbolic rays of light. On the other, a black skull stares balefully at the viewer.

It has been dubbed the “Sword of Shadows” because of an inscription etched into the blade. In the language of fallen Netheril, it proclaims that the wielder of this sword “Walkes in the Shadoes between Light and Darke.”

Damage: 1d8+1 (see text below)
Weight: 4lb
Caster Level:
Prerequisite: Craft Magical Arms and Armor, Cure Light Wounds, Inflict Light wounds, Detect Evil, Detect Good, caster must be of true neutral alignment.
Market Price: ?
Cost to Create: ?
Special:

The bearer may cast either cure light wounds or inflict light wounds as a fifth-level caster. This ability is available two times per day, and the bearer chooses the particular version of the spell at the time of casting. The recipient must be touched by the sword, by means of a melee touch attack if necessary.

The bearer may cast either detect evil or detect good as a fifth-level caster. This ability is available once every four hours, and the bearer chooses the particular version of the spell at the time of casting.

On a successful hit, 1d4 extra points of damage is dealt against creatures of either good or evil alignment. Damage reduction /+2 or better negates this effect completely.

If a character of either good or evil alignment tries to use the sword, that person falls unconscious for 1d3 hours, and is then both blind and deaf for an additional 4d4 hours. A successful fortitude save (DC 18), rolled for each penalty (unconsciousness, blindness, and deafness), negates effects as normal, but if the character continues to use the sword in any way other than simply carrying it, that character must continue to make the saves each round.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  07:49:27  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone sees mistakes, let me know. This is the first one I've shown here without it first going by Sage. In particular, I can't figure out the pricing for this one . . . .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2003 :  09:20:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is quite good Bookwyrm. And after a brief analysis, I can't really find anything that is wrong with it. It's seems well balanced, and it's abilities are well thought out.

I especially like this part -
quote:
If a character of either good or evil alignment tries to use the sword, that person falls unconscious for 1d3 hours, and is then both blind and deaf for an additional 4d4 hours. A successful fortitude save (DC 18), rolled for each penalty (unconsciousness, blindness, and deafness), negates effects as normal, but if the character continues to use the sword in any way other than simply carrying it, that character must continue to make the saves each round.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000