Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 55

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:17:02  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the second new item -

Wizard-Slayer
These blades are also fashioned by Sharan clerics, for usage in similar situations as described above for the Mage-Killer. The only difference being, these weapons are normally only given to the commanding officer of each unit in the order. However situations demanding more of these weapons can easily result in every member of the unit being supplied with them.

They are crafted from regular silvery metals, and have few distinguishing features. Only symbols to Shar decorate the hilt of the blade.

Damage: 1d6+2 (arcane only)
Caster Level: 9th
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor
Special:
This short-sword weapon is designed to eliminate enemy arcane spellcasters. When used against wizards or sorcerers the enhancements bonus to the weapon is +2, better than average short-swords, and deals an extra +1d6 points of extra damage.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:18:25  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I do have some spells coming. I am just waiting for the return of my notebook .

May all your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:19:27  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the next new addition -

Kelemvor's Heart
This black obsidian stone is approximately 10 cm in diameter and 4 cm in width. It is roughly spherical in shape and has rough-shode edges. The sides of the stone have been cut in a hap-hazard fashion, creating facets on the stone at various angles.

This obsidian stone was given by Oldamnar to the gnome barbarian, Ghelbin, during the battles that frequently occured while they were both a part of the Fire River Trading Company out of Tantras (see Oldamnar's other two entries for more information).

Caster Level: 12th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, suggestion, disintegrate
Market Price: 40,543 gp
Special:
This stone's magic will only work if invoked by a gnome or other similar 'small' class races. Once the stone is activated, one randomly selected enemy with 10 feet of the bearer is subjected to a suggestion spell. It makes the opponent think that they should retreive the stone from the hand of the bearer and let him go. Thus, the next enemy creature to touch the stone (other than the gnome/halfling/etc. who bears it) is then the target of a disintegrate spell. The stone may only be used once per day.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:20:31  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is another new item today -

The Reading of Truth
This gem-encrusted gray square of wood is crafted into the similar shape of a book or tome.

Caster Level: 15th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, greater dispelling
Market Price: 57,321 gp
Special:
The book-like item grants it's function and the special arcane command word ("Oghma") to any non-evil wizard or sorcerer that touches the item. The non-evil arcane spellcaster who carries the book automatically is granted a +4 insight bonus to saving throws against illusions and illusionary magic. Also, once every two days upon uttering the command word for the item, can the bearer command the item to dispel all illusions in a 25-foot radius centered on the bearer's location as if a similar greater dispelling was cast.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:21:31  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the last item for today -

The Undeath Jewel
This fist-sized, red, highly reflective gem is as evil as Bane's black heart. The gem was crafted in ancient times by clerics of an unknown Death god.

Caster Level: 10th
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, halt undead
Market Price: 36,000 gp
Special:
Any types of Undead who glance upon the gem will see it shine with a unholy deathly-glowing light, but to all other non-Undead creatures, they see it only as a lightless red gem. When it is held in the bearers hand, above the chest, the Undeath Jewel provides a +10 resistance bonus to the bearers saving throws against fear checks to all Undead within 10 feet of the bearer.

Once per day the gem can be used by the bearer to halt an undead creature as if the creature had been affected by a cast halt undead spell.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:22:53  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that's all for this week. I may not have any updates next week, due to my heavy work-load on the upcoming 3e Planescape campaign, and my continuing library research.

But I'll try and post something here if I get the chance, anyway as always, keep logged into this scroll.

Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  00:13:39  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage  Click to see Targon Moonrise's MSN Messenger address Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Targon fingers the red jewel.*
I like this new batch of items. They might come in handy if Enalis puts us against some undead. How I hate undead creatures!
*Targon puts the jewel down then walks to the long and short swords but keeps his hands away from them.*

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  07:07:30  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick post from the library -

Targon, if you have a particular dislike of Undead, I have some fascinating new items that deal with Undeath in some way or another coming soon. In fact part of the reason I am at the library is to study some references for these ideas.

Expect some really unique items...next week sometime .

May your learning be free and unfettered

Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  16:52:44  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sword of prismatic spray
Once a day, the wielder of this sword can call the power of the sword as a free action. The next opponent he strikes is hit as if he were the target of one of the effect of the spell. Roll a dice to know which effect happens. The effect is considered as cast by a 12th wizard and the DC is 15 to avoid.
i don't know what kind of bonus to add. What do u think?
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  17:00:45  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wand of distortion

This strange magic item never stops to move without any organisation. The wielder can make a will check (DC 15) to have the advantage on it and force the item to take the shape the wielder wants. The wand can take the shape of an item as small as a dagger and as big as a half-pick. Even if it can take any shape, it is usually polymorphed in a weapon, since it allows a +3 bonus during the first 3 rounds of fight per day, after what it remains a normal weapon. Anybody is proficient with it, even when the shape is an item with what the wielder is normally not proficient.
One time a week, the wielder can call the most powerful power of the wand, which allows the wielder to polymorph self as the spell. But the main difference is that the wielder donít cess to change his shape every round. He can however make actions, but he does not have a control on the change. This power lasts ten rounds before ending. Here is the random table of changes :

1 allip (demon)
2 athach
3 bodak
4 bugbear
5 chokerspawn
6 succubus
7 bebilith (demon)
8 drider
9 ettin
10 gargoyle
11 fire giant
12 girallon
13 harpy
14 howler
15 minotaur
16 ogre
17 owlbear
18 troll
19 umber hulk
20 vampire

Every time the wielder uses this power, he has to make a Will save to not become chaotic evil (DC 18).

cannot be sold.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  20:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that, Eilinel. I've been wanting a polymorphing weapon for a while, but never thought to make it a wand. I also like how it's +3 at first. However, I think it should fade away, so that it's +2, then +1, then normal.

Also, why can't it be sold? Does the wand itself prohibit that?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  07:38:23  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilinel said -
quote:
i don't know what kind of bonus to add. What do u think?

This depends really on whether the longsword (I am assuming it is a longsword) is forged from special materials like mithral or any other metal which normally endows a enchancement bonus.

But considering the overall properties you have outlined, and the addition of only one spell ability, I would suggest perhaps a +1 or +2 bonus, but this is totally dependent on the type of sword. If it is a longsword, then go with the +1 bonus.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2003 :  07:40:04  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I forgot to add -

Eilinel the second magical item is fine, but, for the potential bonuses you receive (mainly the type of creature you polymorph youself into) it seems to be a little too powerful, and not very balanced in terms of penalties. Instead of having the 'Will save to not become chaotic evil (DC 18)', why don't you make it that if he fails his Will save, he stays in his new form as a chaotic evil creature permanently, or until a wish, or other similar spell can be cast to restore him to normal.

Just a suggestion, if seems fine the way it is, but the penalty just doesn't seem to balance with the powerful advantages. Anyway I hope you intend to post more items, I like everyone to try and contribute something.

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1278 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2003 :  18:13:07  Show Profile  Visit Mournblade's Homepage  Send Mournblade an AOL message  Click to see Mournblade's MSN Messenger address  Send Mournblade a Yahoo! Message Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Also, just an update -

New items will be delivered to the Magic Shop on Friday...watch for them.

Special: Mournblade, any update on the armour you were going to send to the Shop. My Battle Mage PC is curious .

I'll do that when I return form my journeys of the day!

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...

Edited by - Mournblade on 14 Jun 2003 18:14:18
Go to Top of Page

eilinel
Learned Scribe

France
296 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2003 :  18:59:50  Show Profile  Visit eilinel's Homepage Send eilinel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Eilinel the second magical item is fine, but, for the potential bonuses you receive (mainly the type of creature you polymorph youself into) it seems to be a little too powerful, and not very balanced in terms of penalties. Instead of having the 'Will save to not become chaotic evil (DC 18)', why don't you make it that if he fails his Will save, he stays in his new form as a chaotic evil creature permanently, or until a wish, or other similar spell can be cast to restore him to normal.

this is actually a great idea, i will think about that... thanks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  09:07:38  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilinel, I only suggested that because I have always felt that these type of items, such as the one you designed should have a special twist to using them. The alignment change you added to your magical item was good, but out of balance with the potential gains when polymorphed.

Anyway, I am working on a similar item at the moment, although this magical item is a powerful relic from the Blood War between Baatezu and Tanar'ri.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  09:11:19  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look forward to it Mournblade.

Anyway, one of my gaming friends has just walked through the door, and is carrying my magical item creation notebook. What this means is, I may be able to post a few items from my game on Friday night.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  09:23:12  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the first of the items that I have just recently crafted. Most of these items don't even have backgrounds yet -

Waukeen's Favor
This singular rough shaped gold piece has been blessed by the holy power of Waukeen priests. It has the symbol of Waukeen engraved with silver on one side, and an engraving of an unknown face on the other side.

Caster Level: 3rd
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, follower of Waukeen
Market Price: 200 gp
Special:
When this gold coin is taken and then flipped high into the air, it will then spark off a bright shining (non-blinding) light from an unknown source. As the light dissipates the PC will be showered in a rain of 6d6 gold pieces per three levels of the PC.

It is at the DM's discretion, how many times this magical item can be used, before the ability of the coin fades. A normal number of times, is anywhere from 5-to-10 times.

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Jun 2003 07:50:25
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  09:39:04  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the next item -

Journeymen's Friend
This staff was crafted by merchants in the service of the Church of Shaundakul. It is made of an unknown and unique source of wood, and is covered with runes in Wild-Elven script. It is approximately six feet in length and is capped at both ends by silver cast caps. It has been used by adventures caught in troubling situations while journeying from one destination to the next.

Damage: 1d6
Caster Level: 5th
Market Price: 3,000 gp
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, true strike
Weight: -
Special:
The PC can only use the special ability of this staff twice per day. At the PC's command, the staff casts a single True Strike spell on the bearer. A duration of 12 hours must pass however before the power can be used again.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  09:52:48  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no proper name for this item. It was developed by Brax for use when detailing and analysing new magical items which have come into his possession -

Brax's All-Purpose Magical Detector
This short 20 cm hollowed out flute-like tube is made of bone. It was carved by an idle Brax when the Sage had to close the shop for repairs due to damage caused by a maddened Gelugon looking for an item that the Sage supposedly stole, during one of his frequent trips to Sigil.

The blacksmith hollowed out the arm bone from the semi-blasted and broken body of the Gelugon, and set to work fashioning this handy item he had been thinking about for a while. After it was carved and shaped, he had the Sage enchant the item with a detect magic spell.

Caster Level: 2nd
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, detect magic
Market Price: 1,567 gp
Special:
When the bearer blows through the tube onto the any object, the enchantment, detect magic is cast in the direction of the blow. This ability can only be used twice per day.

If there is a magical object in the presence of the tube when the detect magic is cast, the object will glow in a soft blue hue, visible only to the caster.

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Jun 2003 07:52:18
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  09:54:34  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's it for today. My regular weekly update of magical items should be posted either this Wednesday, or Thursday coming.

Go to Top of Page

Targon Moonrise
Learned Scribe

163 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  22:46:47  Show Profile  Visit Targon Moonrise's Homepage  Click to see Targon Moonrise's MSN Messenger address Send Targon Moonrise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the items, mainly Waukeen's Favor. I'll make sure to bring some coin so I may buy a Magic Detector for my trips later on.

May Melkor smile upon every spell you cast.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jun 2003 :  23:29:55  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage  Click to see Bookwyrm's MSN Messenger address Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, two questions. One, what is the limitaion on the Waukeen's Favor coin? Surely the PC can't just flip it an endless amount of times. Second, with the detect magic spell, would the PC be sensing the magic, or would it glow (like in a CPRG)?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  07:38:10  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Targon, I'm glad you like the new additions.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2003 :  07:48:19  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had to finish that last post early, I was having a pretty deep conversation with my friend over the keen ability and it's effectiveness in actual combat, once a PC gains levels higher than 20th. I wasn't able to answer Bookwyrm's questions, but I have some time now so I will do it.

Bookwyrm, the original Waukeen's Favor magical item was designed with only a limited amount of uses (charges), say 5-to-10 times. However as time past and the magical item again started popping up in gaming sessions, the potential for abuse of the item soon become apparent. So I basically said that the item could be used only a limited numbers of times according to the DM's discretion, and that is the way it has remained. I forgot to enter that into the entry, so I will do so after this message is posted.

As for the detect magic ability, that I have found has always been a personal choice on the part of the players and DM. Some DM's like the fact that magical objects glow with magical radiance, others prefer the fact that the bearer senses the magic of objects when close. For me personally, I prefer the glowing of magical objects.

Thanks,

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 55 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000