Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 The Halls of Stormweather: "Night School"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2007 :  16:21:55  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met!

This is the Classic Book Club scroll for discussing the Halls of Stormweather short story, "Night School," by Clayton Emery.

Please discuss herein.

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2007 :  11:28:53  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say I was kind of surprised by this story, and I was probably the most biased due to reading the later Erevis Cale books in my opinion of this one going in. There are a lot of interesting concepts in this particular story. I liked the spellcasters with "quirky" abilities that might not be useful for adventuring or quantifiable in game terms, and I liked the idea of a half-orc that might not be fully "half" orc in litteral bloodline (in fact it reminded me that some half orcs are litererally such, and gave me some ideas for a character of my own). And I liked the ending, with Tamlin becoming a bit more ruthless in his dealings and seeing a situation to exploit and doing so.

On the other hand, I'm so used to Tamlin as a fairly serious character, a character that, while failing, is at least trying to fill his father's shoes, as well as one that has developed other talents (that I won't ruin for others that might not have read the rest of the series yet). In this story he really doesn't seem to care much at all about trying to be anything like his father.

I realize that this means he likely has developed quite a bit as a character, and that I'm not the most objective in evaluating this story because of what I already know of the character later on, but so far, this has been my least favorite story in the bunch. Still enjoyable, but not as "deep" as the other stories I have read so far. Plus, I have to admit, I dislike wordplay when it wouldn't "work" in the setting. In other words, a character named Vox in the real world that doesn't talk is ironic, but in the Realms, its kind of jarring since there is no Latin in Faerun.

This does make me interested in seeing exactly how Tamlin got from this story to how he is in the Cale books however. And as I said, I did like the ending of the story.
Go to Top of Page

Areader
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2012 :  03:54:53  Show Profile Send Areader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As someone who hasn't read further than the anthology in the Sembia series (yet), I greatly enjoyed the Tamlin tale. Emery's take on the character reminded of a Captain Jack Sparrow-type, fumbling and bumbling into adventures while being mindful enough to not spill his drink. He was a fun character to read about and I was sad to see that Mr. Emery wasn't going to be writing him in the Tamlin solo book. I can only imagine what could have been...

His long-suffering entourage provided great foils to the main character and I can't wait to see if they make it into the "Lord of Stormweather".

After reading the entire anthology, I would have to give this story top honors -- if, for nothing else, having such a unique protagonist.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000